PDA

View Full Version : lower back problem

mantis
October 28th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Hi I normally swim 3 times a week but have not been able to do so this week due to a back injury which I sustained playing football 3 days ago, I normally go for a swim tonight (thursday) and am considering going though my back is still quite painful, I have been told that swimming could play a good role in the healing process, is this true? and if I go how much do i push? thanks.

Yardbird
October 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I have had lower back problems for years. When my back "goes off" on me, I have to make these adjustments to my workouts: no fly, no breast, no flip turns. I also have to take it easy.

The people who say swimming is a good exercise for a bad back are the same ones who say it does not burn enough calories for weight loss! If you are rotating onto your sides in free and back and doing tough interval sets, it can be pretty taxing on a tender back.

I hope you feel better soon!

bitwiz
October 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Skip the swim. Take it easy for few more days.
Do you have full range of motion?

Of course, I'm not a doctor or chiropractor, and I don't play one on TV either.

etrain
October 28th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I have had horribly back problems. Swimming sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. If anything, go and try it but watch out because most of the time I don't feel it until I get out of the water.

Hope you feel better, and why would you be playing football, unless it was some sort of water football...

etrain

mantis
October 29th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Sorry I'm from the UK and when i said football i meant soccer, i didn't have full motion of my body no. I went swimming anyway, couldn't swim as compitently as i normally would and it didn't help/hinder my back in anyway, i think i will take it easy until next week now though just in case, thanks for the response.

DRBOB
November 2nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Lower back pain, stiffness and muscle spasm does indeed respond to pool exercise. However a full hard workout can aggravate your condition alot. This depends on the cause of your complaints, ie. disc vs. facet (joint) and other factors. Even climbing out of a pool can be a big problem for some people. For starters avoid flip turns, fly and long distance. Try just suspending in the pool with a kick board and walk in place bringing your knees high. Do this slowly but steady. Try but dont force free and breast stroke at a casual pace. If you feel up to it you can increase your time and pace but pay close attention to your body signals. After the pool do floor stretches such a knee chest pulls altering legs, hyperextension laying on your stomach and prop up on your elbows gently arching the lower back. Try 20 mins. of ice after a workout. If you have constant pain above a 5 (0-10) scale or have pain lasting more the three to five days see a doctor of chiropractic or medical doctor.