PDA

View Full Version : What Issue of swim magazine?

dorothyrd
October 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Was the article about losing weight and it talked about the myth of how you cannot lose weight swimming as your main form of cardio?

Bill Volckening
October 28th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Dorothy,

The article "Stroking Toward Better Health" by Tito Morales appeared on pages 28-31 of the March/April, 2004 SWIM Magazine.

Best Wishes,
Bill Volckening

dorothyrd
October 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks Bill. There was a post on a WW board about how a doctor had told the person they could not lose weight doing swimming as their only cardio. When I disagreed this person wanted more facts, so that is why I was looking for this article because I remember the article discussing how the original study was not done in a manner that a conclusion could be drawn.

scyfreestyler
October 28th, 2004, 04:09 PM
As Dr. Dean says, shut your mouth and take a walk. Managing your weight is like balancing your checkbook. If you take in more than you burn you will have a surplus; read weight gain. If you burn more than you take in you will have a deficit, read weight loss. What is good in banking is not always good in human health. With that being said, any type of exercise that burns calories will ultimately help you lose weight if your daily caloric intake falls below your calories burned. These are just guidelines as there are certain hormonal/glandular problems that will affect the weight gain/loss of certain individuals.

Gil
October 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
330man, Accurate advice and perfectly stated!!

dorothyrd
October 28th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Exactly what I said, calories in, calories out, but the woman's doctor told her she could not lose weight just by swimming.....