PDA

View Full Version : Swim Caps

Swim44
October 28th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Hi-
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for keeping a swim cap on during a race. I'm a male in my early twenties with relatively short hair, but I can't manage to keep my cap on completely during a race or during my regular workout. Prior to racing I try to pull the cap down as far as it will go (usually covering my ears completely), but by the end of my race it tends to roll up to where it is barely touching my ears anymore. Any advice on what kind of cap stays on better (I currently just use a speedo white latex one with my old HS team logo, it has the rippled edge) such as silicone or a different brand of latex?

Dave

Fishgrrl
October 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Hi Dave - I have a similar problem. I have long, thick hair and I've found that the more expensive, thicker caps don't work as well as the thinner, cheaper ones. The thicker ones are softer and slicker and tend to slip, which is especially annoying at about lap 35 of a 66 lap race!

I've also found that the cap stays on better if you get your head wet before you put it on.

EyeoreSAM
October 29th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I think that the cheap ones stretch out too much and you either wind up with a big bubble up top or the sides roll up. The silicone ones work for me. I find that if you wet your hair before you put it on it makes it worse--for me at least.

Dana Gianniny
October 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Dave,
Several ideas:

I, too, have had a lot of problems keeping my cap on, and although my hair is very long, the problem can be hair products that aren't rinsed properly. Last week I did not condition my hair for several days before our 6000 yard postal swim, and kept my cap on without adjusting it for the whole 6000 yards, flip turns and all!

In terms of type of caps, I find that Nike caps stay on better than other brands. They tend to naturally come down a little further than the speedo caps without having to pull them down as hard, and they tend to be a tighter fit. All the thin latex ones will stretch out so they need to be replaced fairly frequently for a good fit.

Goggles over your cap, especially double strapped goggles, can help too.

Instead of trying to pull it so far over your ears, maybe try to pull it a little further down on your forehead instead, and just pull it down moderately on your ears.

As a distance freestyler, I find keeping my cap on to be a huge challenge. These are the things that seem to work for me. Good luck!

Dana

lapswimmr
October 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Try the new Speedo "Speedlite" cap.. goes on low over the ears, smooth finish. worn this summer in the olympics by Jenny and Lenny .Now available from Speedo..70 dollars but no price is too high for speed! See the
Speedo USA web page .

http://www.speedousa.com

This cap is designed to be worn under a regular swim cap. It will probably work with all the different caps including the strap style.
It may slide around if worn under a lycra cap.