PDA

View Full Version : Creepiness in the pool.....

mbriones
October 30th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Just in time for Halloween....

Our pool is outdoors (we're in CA) and we cover it when we are not using it. The pool is sort of an L shape, with the L being a deep end off to the side of the lane swimming area. (Pardon my syntax; I'm a new swimmer). We leave the deep end covered since no one uses it. The cover retains some heat and keep our club able to pay the heating bill! This morning when we were uncovering the lane area, one lady mentioned that she doesn't like to swim in that far right lane close to the deep end and it's kind of like "The Abyss." I was so relieved to hear that as I was trying to avert my glance in that deep, dark, ominous direction. I keep hearing the X Files theme when I look over there...

So we were able to laugh about it, but once we got in, we were quick to swim as far to the left as possible...but we realized that no one likes to swim over in that lane on any given day.

I've suffered from 'Drain Phobia' all of my life as it is. Growing up in a neighborhood of kids where every one had a pool - we'd rotate whose house we'd swim at on a given summer day (to give our parents a break). One house had no drain cover and it gave me the absolute heebs. We'd be going off the diving board and I would swim like the bionic woman away from that deep end and that deep, dark, horrible hole.

Anyone else psychotic like this? Crazy loves company... :D It was good to hear from other members of my club that they are creeped out by the covered deep end with all of the debris from a recent storm at the bottom of it. The murk, the mire....BWAH HA HA HA HA....(maniacal underwater laughter)....

I had a good swim despite it! :eek:

Seagurl51
October 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi! I swim in an indoor pool now so I don't really worry that much about drains anymore. When I was swimming outside though, there was one time that we found a dead salamander (and it was a pretty big salamander too) in the drain floating in the water. It was soo gross!! :eek: I stayed away from that side of the pool for about a month.

~Kyra

Blue Horn
October 31st, 2004, 06:24 PM
I have always like swimming next to the deep-end. I get a sense of serenity when I look into the deeper and bluer part of the pool.

Swimming over a shallow coral reef drooping off into deep tropical waters is another story. Especially, when you are by yourself, which is rare even at secret spots.

Hook'em
Blue

Alicat
October 31st, 2004, 08:40 PM
I totally am remembering the abyss! I personally have a love hate thing going on! Kinda wigged out as if I would be sucked into it, but in a trance over the beauty and space of the abyss...

On a different note, there was some horror move in the 1970's, where people were locked in a hotel (not the Shining) and a lady was swimming underwater in the pool, and when she came up for air, the surface of the water was blocked and she drowned. Freaked me out as a kid, when I get spooked in the water I always remember that...:eek:

jerrycat
November 1st, 2004, 07:44 AM
when I was much younger being in a pool by myself really scared me to death...and I wouldn't do it. I was afraid a dead person would float up. talk about crazy! doesn't scare me as much now...but I'm sure not going to go in the ocean by myself.

Kevin in MD
November 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
That's what my older brother told me when I was 7 or so.

Of course I often pass on this valuable piece of knowledge whenever I can. I also like to pass on the fact that eating vegetables makes you small. As evidenced by my own lack of vegetable intake and better than average height.

The avowed sweet sweet taste of bitterweed when you bite into it has fallen into disuse. I suspect it's because kids don't play outside as much, or perhaps because I don't play outside as much. Not sure I remember what bitterweed looks like even.

Swimming next to a deep end that is covered and therefore dark would be a bit creepy. But I bet the lack of sunlight makes the smell even more intense at the drain, you should go down there and take a big sniff! Let us know how it smells.

:-)

laineybug
November 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM
here's the worse I ever heard (from my coach).

She and some friends were picnic-ing at a recreational river area years ago. There were a few down trees in the river, limbs etc sticking up here and there. As she was wading across the river to go get a canoe she puposefully stepped onto one of the tree trunks that was underwater. When she stepped off if it, it moved slightly and then there was this very loud kinda 'burping' sound behind her. She turned around to see was it was. When the trunk of the three moved it allowed the body of a man to become dislodged. She was a lifeguard, so she brought him to the river bank.

YIKES YIKES YIKES