PDA

View Full Version : Joining USMS

Seagurl51
October 30th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Hey everybody! I need some help with joining USMS I have contacted my LMSC registrar several times about joining USMS and have yet to hear back. So I was wondering if someone here could simply send me the papers or tell me where I can go online to join? Thanx a bunch!!

~Kyra

Saynomre
October 31st, 2004, 05:51 PM
I am having a similar problem. Everytime I ask about joining, they tell me to come to practice with them, but I want to join USMS, as well. I don't understand why I am not being understood. I am not ready to swim with the team and the times aren't really convienant. If someone lets you know how to do it without your team, let me know, please. Thanks!

ALM
October 31st, 2004, 09:39 PM
Saynomre,

You can contact your LMSC's registrar directly to register with USMS - you don't have to go through a team. Please send me an e-mail telling me what city and state you live in; I will contact your registrar for you.

Send the e-mail to me at: RegChair (at) usms.org

~~~~/\o
~~~~~~~~~
Anna Lea Roof
Chairman, USMS Registration Committee

P.S. You should normally be able to find your registrar's e-mail address by performing the following steps:

1. Go to www.usms.org
2. Click on "LMSC info" in the paragraph titled "Join USMS"
3. Click on the portion of the map that corresponds to where you live

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 1st, 2004, 11:47 AM
I'm postign a reply, even though I reaLLY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY specifically about Idaho. this is a very big problem nation wide. USMS says all sorts of stuff about how hard they are working for membership. this isn't true. We need to start a specific committee that will design a membership drive & carry it out throughout the years. It is the only way to keep members & add new. I would gladly work on this committee.t thing would be to have at least one person from every region or state. the identify whcih states hav ehte most identifiable problems and slowly go through each state to set up membership committeess that are truly supported from the top. Not just brochures.

Rob Copeland
November 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
Craig,

Excellent ideas! USMS is always in need of new ideas and enthusiastic volunteers.

We already have a committee to deal with certain aspects of membership; it is the Registration Committee, currently chaired by Anna Lea Roof. Iím sure she would love to hear your suggested improvements to our current registration and membership retention programs.

For more information on how these work today, you can contact your local registrar or review the registration information in the LMSC handbook, which can be found under LMSC information on the USMS web site.

Seagurl51
January 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
It's been about a two or so months since I sent in my USMS papers (finally got in contact with my registrar) and I was wondering how long it takes for everything to be processed? I know that everyone is probably busy since it's the beginning of the year, not in a huge hurry or anything just curious.

~Kyra

Kae1
January 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
I printed out the form from the Arizona LMSC webpage, filled it out and sent in a check; I had a membership card within 2 weeks, and that was during the holidays. I'm not exactly sure what all comes with the membership (I joined because of peer pressure of some friends/coworkers - sometimes peer pressure is a GOOD thing). There's been no pressure to join the local team, or attend their practices (which are also impractical for me).

So far, the only thing I would maybe ask of the Arizona LMSC is some more activities in Tuscon :D

Kae

mjtyson
January 3rd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland

We already have a committee to deal with certain aspects of membership; it is the Registration Committee, currently chaired by Anna Lea Roof. Iím sure she would love to hear your suggested improvements to our current registration and membership retention programs.

I hate to say it, Rob, but I think Ms. Roof demonstrated exactly the problem. She misunderstood what Kyra said. Kyra said, "I have contacted my LMSC registrar several times about joining USMS and have yet to hear back."

And in response, the Registration Committee chair responds with, "You can contact your LMSC's registrar directly to register with USMS - you don't have to go through a team," which is more in response to the second poster, who also is from Idaho.

In defense of my LMSC, my registrar got back to me quickly. The only problem I'm having with my USMS membership (and I posted about this on 23 Nov) is the fact that my wife is getting her magazine, but I'm not. I normally wouldn't care about that, IF THE USMS HAD SOME SORT OF FAMILY MEMBERSHIP. But I'm paying for the darn thing. I WANT MY OWN COPY!!!!