PDA

View Full Version : working on all the 4 strokes

hooked-on-swimming
November 1st, 2004, 06:13 PM
Snce I started swimming about 3 months ago, I have been doing freestyle for the most part.Now as I am more interested in practicing all the four competitive strokes I got to wonder - how do you go about doing that, i.e. do you practice them all in every work-out or split them by days(freestyle today, breaststroke tomorrow, etc.).Are there any versatile swimmers around here who stress on all the strokes who could throw me some ideas?
Thanks.

Seagurl51
November 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
I like to do IM's. But sometimes I split them up by doing say like 3 laps of kick, 3 laps of pull, and then 3 laps of full stroke for all the strokes. You can add more or less distance to suit your taste. That's how I like to practice them if I'm not doing an IM as part of my workout.

~Kyra

p.s. The TI video "Four Stroke Made Easy" really breaks down the steps to help you get the correct form on the other strokes. check their website: www.totalimmersion.net. I think the DVD is like $42 after shipping and everything.

Scansy
November 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM
Ideally, I do one workout per week for each of the four strokes and then one with a lot of IM. I say ideally, because I rarely make it to the pool five times a week. Four is more normal, so I actually skip the freestyle workout since I will usually do about 500-700 yards free in all of the workouts for warm-up/cool down.

I think having the separate days for each allows you to work on technique/drills/kicking/pulling for that stroke. The IM day is usually more of a high stress workout for me with less technique work/drills - it's the day I am the most wiped out.

Just my 2 cents worth. And it may not be worth that much.

hooked-on-swimming
November 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Scansy
Ideally, I do one workout per week for each of the four strokes and then one with a lot of IM. I say ideally, because I rarely make it to the pool five times a week. Four is more normal, so I actually skip the freestyle workout since I will usually do about 500-700 yards free in all of the workouts for warm-up/cool down.

I think having the separate days for each allows you to work on technique/drills/kicking/pulling for that stroke. The IM day is usually more of a high stress workout for me with less technique work/drills - it's the day I am the most wiped out.

Just my 2 cents worth. And it may not be worth that much.

Well, I do not have a problem with frequency of my work-outs, 'cause I actually have a hard time "talking myself" into taking a day of, so the least I ever do is 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day.Hope they won't make swimming illegal, lol, 'cause it really is the drug that would give me withdrawals if I did not get enough of it :-)))
But yeah ... I thought devoting one entire work-out to one stroke would be ideal and maybe some IM days here and there.But then would it kinda slow the progress in each one of them since you do not practice them so much more often if you did them all every day?