PDA

View Full Version : First swim meet in 10 years

jpjackson76
November 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
I had my first swim meet in 10 years this past Sat 10/30. I can honestly say I'm in love with swimming again, it feels awesome to get my fitness back for swimming competitvely, I'd only been training for 2 weeks prior to the meet and here are my results.

50m fly = 32.??

100m free = 1:05.??

200m free = 2:30.??

400m free = 5:50.??

Sorry about the ??, my times are at home and I'm writing from work.

My endurance still needs lots of work, but I'm really please with my times with only a couple weeks of training. I'm not trying to brag I'm just excited and the people I work with don't really understand, they think I'm the wierd-o that wears a speedo.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 2nd, 2004, 12:28 PM
Last February, I was in a meet after several years. I whad some operations & couldn't race. also for a long time I had almost exclusively been a ruuner. Aren't they fun! Much better than standing around with thousands of people waiting for a gun & never doing well because you have to fight through so many people.

jerrycat
November 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
man, you came right back it sounds like. keep it up and you'll go to nationals and beat everybody. yay! great job!

a 1:05 100? man, i only dream of that. mine's 1:15 on a good day. (female)

keep it up!
jerrycat:D

valhallan
November 2nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Good Job. If your click on the USMS logo it will take you to the home page. Then scroll down and click on 'Competition'. If you are curious about your standings, you can find out how you compare with others in your age group (under Top Times). Not bad for two weeks of training. :cool:

jpjackson76
November 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on searching the top times. Now I can really drive myself crazy.

Fred Johnson
November 3rd, 2004, 11:31 PM
I'm jealous. First, these are very good times based on what I see myself doing (1:15 100 yard free in workout this past saturday) and how long you've been back; second they are meters times (longer than yards meaning times will be even faster in yards); and third, you got to go to a meet.

I must be doing something wrong. Nice work.

PS A little bragging is good for you. Makes the rest of us work harder!

jpjackson76
November 4th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Fred. Those times were performed in a SCM event. I'm doing a SCY meet on 11/14, and I can't wait to have more fun, I'm still trying to decide what events to swim.

A little background on me is I'm 28, I swam in high school with PB of: 100y free 56.71, 200y free 1:58.??, 100y fly 58.31. Since high school I've kept in okay physical shape with running, cycling and weight lifting. But during the 2004 olympics I was watching the swimming and got the itch to swim again, along with having my 3 year old daughter beg me to watch the swimming during the olympics didn't hurt either. I'm hoping we can have a bond together with swimming, and I can lead by example, maybe my 1 1/2 year old son will like swimming also? Sorry I love those kids so very much, didn't mean to go off on a tanget on you.

The times I posted on 10/30 were done with 10 days of training with only 800-1000 meters during each session. I'm also still weight lifting twice a week. My personality is to try to much to soon so I'm building slowly. But I don't plan on tons of yardage just higher intensity, unless I want to compete in the longer events.

We will see how it goes, I'll keep you posted.

Swimmerguy
November 5th, 2004, 01:10 AM
I am in about the same situation. I am 29 and my HS times were 50yd free 22.2 but I can't seem to find any way to pace myself. In an all out sprint it is not an option but me 100yd free time was 54.5 I still always leave enough to beat anyone near me but I need advice on how to improve on longer distances. Even on a 50 bk. I have to much left at the end. PLease give advise,
Thanks,
Josh

Swimmerguy
November 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM
PS. I often negative split longer events. If anyone is close, game over for them. I just stay close enough to beat them but I need to know how to better swim my own race, whatever that might be

knelson
November 5th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Swimmerguy
I am in about the same situation. I am 29 and my HS times were 50yd free 22.2 but I can't seem to find any way to pace myself. In an all out sprint it is not an option but me 100yd free time was 54.5

Yes, with a 22 in the 50 you should be able to swim a 100 under 50 seconds. What kind of 50 split did you have? I'd say you should shoot for, say, a 23 then a 26 for a 49. I you're having trouble coming back in that last 50 you might want to do more middle distance aerobic type conditioning.

Just for a comparison Ian Crocker split 22.17 24.08 to set the 100 SCM free record at 2004 NCAA's.