PDA

View Full Version : How much yardage per week for distance events

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
I am wondering how much yardage that I should be doing for the distance freestyles, the IMS and 200Fly. I am thinking of doing a 1500 in Dec and how much yardage should I do to prepare. I am hearing that I should do 20,000 yards a week.

Rob Copeland
November 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Your yardage will depend on where you are now and your goals.

If you can complete a 1500 today and your goal is to complete a 1500 in December then just keep doing what you are doing. Same thing with the 200 Fly or any other swim.

20,000 yards per week, is a good number to shoot for. But, again it depends on what you’re doing now and what you want to be doing at the meet. December is next month, so if 20,000 is a radical change from how you are training now, you may end up doing more harm than good. Jumping up from, say, 5,000 per week to 20,000 per week could possibly end up making you more tired than if you had stuck with your current training regime.

So, how are you training now?
What are your goals for the December swims?
Where are you now, relative to those goals?

tjrpatt
November 6th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I train about 10,000 or about 17,000 a week if I practice a fourth day a week. 20,000 isn't radical because I was doing about 22,000 yards a week in the summer since there was more Masters swimming time at my training facility.

Question 2

for the December swims, I will see about 3 of my regular events and just swim the 1500 to see how it goes.

Question 3
I really don't have any goals for the December meet. It is just a regular Masters Invitational.