PDA

View Full Version : warm-up at meets

hooked-on-swimming
November 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
Every single time I practice in the pool I start off in a weird way - as if my muscles are asleep or something(I feels like I do not move what my potential allows me) and only some time throught he work-out it clicks and I start swimming faster , easier and smoother.That probably is nothing strange, 'cause obviously muscles need some warm-p first.
That brings me to the following question: at meets(any level - up to Olympics) do swimmers prefer to warm up somehow(maybe go for a short swim) and is that even possible to do, i.e. are there usually certain areas for that?

James
November 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by hooked-on-swimming
Every single time I practice in the pool I start off in a weird way - as if my muscles are asleep or something

I use to feel like this when I warmed up to, but i started to take a very warm shower before I warm up and I cut my warm up time in half. I also felt like that I have been swimming for twenty minutes when warming up.

Seagurl51
November 3rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
Yep. Generally they have warm-up pools. If you watched the World Championships on TV, the big tent lookin' thing in the background, under that was the warm-up pool. So as far as I know, then they usually have a warm-up pool or at least some lanes were you can warm-up.

~Kyra

laineybug
November 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Hey, "Dimi, during the first part of my warm up, not only do my muscles feel 'weak' or asleep, but I am also incredibly grouchy even though I have looked forward to swimming all day, don't have a grouchy temperament and usually don't arraive at the pool in a grouchy mood. But then like you say, something clicks and it all goes away.

born2fly
November 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
I have same problem when I first get in for warmup at a meet. However, I feel much better in water as warmup continues. Not sure what type of warmup you are doing.

Warmup should be broken into phases. The general get loose phase, drills, get heart rate up, and warmdown.

I swim with the USS kids at my pool and this is the warmup we do before every meet.

500 warmup
5X100 @1:30 (after first 100 we do about 5 minutes stretching in water then finish the last 4x100's
4x75's Kick, Drill, Swim- one of each stroke@1:30
6x50's build- 3 free, 3 stroke @50sec's
2x25 sprint from block
200 Warmdown

Before an actual race I get in about 15 minutes prior and do about 200 yards easy to loosen up again. Of course, after the race be sure to warm down. I do anywhere between 200-400 depending on distance of the race.

Swim fast,
greg

knelson
November 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
That brings me to the following question: at meets(any level - up to Olympics) do swimmers prefer to warm up somehow(maybe go for a short swim) and is that even possible to do, i.e. are there usually certain areas for that?

Absolutely. At every meet there is always a general warmup preceding the competition. This allows everyone to get into the competition pool and warmup, practice starts, sprints, etc. In most cases there will also be an area for cool down or warmup during the meet. This case be a separate pool, diving well, etc. Obviously if there's only one pool available they can't do this, but will schedule breaks every so often to allow swimmers to warmup.

geochuck
November 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
When there is no warmup chance I generally count on the shower room for my warmups. I even go as far as wrapping my arms and legs in warm towels. I also do some light exercises, never stretch just loosen up. I also do a series of breathing exercises.

George Park www.swimdownhill.com

Ryan@ICoachSwimming
November 3rd, 2004, 11:07 PM
Just a side note as food for thought...

After Phelps finished his Olympic competition, my head coach sat with our team thinking about how much swimming Phelps actually during the Olympics. Now, this is just an estimate, but if you factor in all of Phelps races, and the warm-up could very well have done before each race, and the warm-down afterwards, it's possible he swam as much as 80,000 meters the week of the Olympics! For most people, that would be a killer week of swimming, and if my head coach's estimates were even near right, Phelps did it in his biggest week of competition!

Ryan
www.ICoachSwimming.com
www.SwimNStyle.com

hooked-on-swimming
November 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by born2fly
I have same problem when I first get in for warmup at a meet. However, I feel much better in water as warmup continues. Not sure what type of warmup you are doing.

Warmup should be broken into phases. The general get loose phase, drills, get heart rate up, and warmdown.

I swim with the USS kids at my pool and this is the warmup we do before every meet.

500 warmup
5X100 @1:30 (after first 100 we do about 5 minutes stretching in water then finish the last 4x100's
4x75's Kick, Drill, Swim- one of each stroke@1:30
6x50's build- 3 free, 3 stroke @50sec's
2x25 sprint from block
200 Warmdown

Before an actual race I get in about 15 minutes prior and do about 200 yards easy to loosen up again. Of course, after the race be sure to warm down. I do anywhere between 200-400 depending on distance of the race.

Swim fast,
greg

So how much time before a meet is it best to warm-up?From what I understand you have two warm-ups(one that you put into detail above and the other a bit later 15 min. before the race)?Or did I get something mixed up?

jasoneaddy
November 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM
So how much time before a meet is it best to warm-up?

The answer varies from person to person and I imagine has a good deal to do with age and experience with masters swimmers. The best way to learn what works for you is to swim in a fair number of meets and experiment. That said...

I generally try to get in about an hour before the session starts and do between 1500 and 2000 yards of warmup (varying strokes, drilling, straight freestyle, etc) depending on when I start to feel loose and ready to go. After about 1200 I will do a series of 50s or 25s varying speeds and strokes in order to get a feel for swimming fast. At prelim/final USS meets, I generally do half the prelim's warmup again at night.

Before the race, I'll do anywhere from 200 to 500 depending on how long it's been since warmup or the last race. Again, it's really a "feel" thing. During this time I mentally picture the upcoming race, imagine how it feels, what the splits are going to be, etc.

Then, after the race, it's back for another 300-500 and sometimes more depending on the length of the race or just how my body is feeling. I try to warm down until I'm not out of breath and my muscles don't feel tight. As the meet goes on, especially on a multiday meet, I probably up the warm down amount to compensate for the fatigued muscles. I find it beneficial to pick up the tempo a little before I get out to really flush the lactic acid out of the muscles. While warming down, I'll also go through the race again and see what matched up with the plan and where I can improve next time. There's no better time to do that than immediately after the race when it's still fresh in your mind.

Just my two cents,
-Jason

Bob McAdams
November 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM
You've already received some good replies, but I'll add the following:

Most USMS meets I've been to allow two forms of warmup:

1) Prior to the start of the meet, and sometimes part way through it, all of the competition lanes are opened up for warmup.

2) There is usually some area (which may be a single lane) open throughout the meet for warmup and warmdown.

Of these, the first is the more valuable, since (1) it lets you warmup in one of the actual lanes in which competition is going to occur, which will let you get used to the appearance of the pool markings and flags so you can properly time your turns, and (2) there is usually a one-way lane designated for practicing starts. But the area that is available during the meet can allow you to do a special warmup for each event.

RayT
May 9th, 2005, 03:16 AM
born2fly.

What is your 'stretching in water'? Thank you.

SwiminONandON
May 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Meet warm-up is totally dependent on the individual. Find a warm-up that works for you and do it time and again. Then use it as your meet warm-up. I don't like to warm-up much. I love when there is a 500 as the first race, that I use as my warm-up. I'll get in the water swim about 200 yards do some starts then use the 500 to really get warmed up. I'm not big on warm-ups.

Also, move around right before your race, swing your arms, jump up and down, etc. This will get the muscles warmed up and allow you to explode a little more.

If you need a little more warm-up, which it sounds like you do, allow for that.

Also, there is always at least a lane to warm-up and down in once the meet starts, and frequently a second pool.

born2fly
May 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Ray,
After the beginning of my general warmup (500yds) I will do light stretching in the pool. All really depends on how limber you already are. I do the elbow behind the head (30 seconds each), then arm across the chest (each arm 30 seconds), arms in back hands together (30 seconds), then a chicken wing where the back of your hands are on your waist and push elbows forward.

Once this is done, I continue with the warmup set and after the next set I will work the legs and calfs.

Stretching varies from person to person. I happen to be very limber. Do what feels good for you.

swim fast,
greg

Rnovitske
May 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM
For meets, I always do about 10-15 minutes of controlled stretching on deck before getting into the pool for swimming warmups. No way, no how I want to pull a muscle during warmups before swimming my first race!

It's amazing that there are so many swimmers in our local meets that just jump right in upon arrival, and don't get cramps or pulled muscles.