PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hackett

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 3rd, 2004, 11:25 AM
I just read the article about Grant Hacket having swam in the Olympics with a collasped lung. I've had two. I couldn't even get to the hospital to get a tube in me. They are incredibnly painful. And people talk about a mere achilles tendon problem!

gull
November 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
What you're referring to is a pneumothorax. From reading the Swim Info article, I suspect what he had was a pleural effusion (fluid collection around/outside the lung) with "collapse" or more correctly atelectasis of a portion of the lung tissue underneath it. Apparently he had had pneumonia earlier in the year also. His condition would not have required a chest tube, but certainly could impair performance.

scyfreestyler
November 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
I have a few friends that are victims of the spontaneous pneumothorax. I don't think swimming is an option when it happens.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 6th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I've read two articles. One said it was a comlete "collaspe." The ohter said that it as the result of having a very severe lung infection.

gull
November 6th, 2004, 01:54 PM
It was the result of an infection. The reference to "collapse" of the lung is a bit misleading. This was not a pneumothorax, where air has entered the pleural space around the lung. He could not have competed with this. Portions of the lung can collapse in pneumonia due to bronchial obstruction or the presence of fluid in the pleural space. Not uncommonly improvement in the x ray findings can lag behind improvement in the patient's condition.

Still a very impressive performance.