PDA

View Full Version : What does your forum name mean?

TheFish
November 4th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Curious what your forum names mean.

As for me, people have told me that I am like a fish because I love the water, so I decided to use that as my forum name.

Would love to hear what everyone else's mean....

EyeoreSAM
November 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM
My forum name is part of my email address which is Eeyeore- for my kitty and S for Suzanne A for my daughter Ashley and M for my husband Mike. It seems a little funny to me, but I have had it for ten years and hate to change it.

Darksaber
November 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Mines just a character from an old sci-fi book - been using it for all online stuff including gamer tags, forums, etc.

If I ever get to the point that I can put my own avatar in system (I'm a chronic lurker) it will be the Master Chief from Halo

Fishgrrl
November 4th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I love the water, too. I practically grew up at the beach and I feel "like a fish out of water" if I miss a day or two of swimming, so I'm "fishgrrl."

:)

hooked-on-swimming
November 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Mines says it all - HOOKED-ON-SWIMMING.Swimming is the drug I am hooked on.

Scansy
November 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Last name is Scansaroli - forum name is Scansy. I have been called Scansy or Scans since high school.

Scansy
November 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
But I have thought about changing it to Steelers Rule!

You can probably figure out why I would want to do that.

Swimmy
November 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Swimmy is fish in a children's book. I teach preschool, so I love kids' books. I might read a little too much Dr. Seuss, if you couldn;'t tell from my posts in The Meaning of Swimming thread....hahaha

Swimmy : )

Seagurl51
November 4th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Sea for Seattle, my favorite city in the world and also ocean because I love the ocean (and all water for that matter) just ignore the fact that I live in Idaho k?!
Gurl becuase well i am one...and 51 because that's Ichiro Suzuki's number.

~Kyra

geochuck
November 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM
My wifes name is Mary Charlotte and when she was a child she was very tom boyish loved to play baseball, basketball, volleyball, ice skating, you name it. Her uncle nicknamed her Chas then it changed to Chuckie. Hence my name George, put them together like we have been for over 47 years... Geochuck.

George

jim clemmons
November 4th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Boy, that's a tough one. I'll have to think about it a bit.

:rolleyes:

gull
November 4th, 2004, 07:02 PM
One of my college coaches started calling me "Gull" and the name stuck. I graduated in '80.

Fitswimmer04
November 4th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I joined Weight Watchers this year, and when I joined USMS I was just starting to swim again. I chose the name because it was my goal to be a fit swimmer by the end of 2004. So far, I've lost 16 pounds, two pants sizes and I'm swimming a 2000 meter interval workout at least 3 days a week. I also do a 2 mile jog and weight training program at least 2 days a week. Everytime I see that name it's a reminder to stick with my program and how far I've come.

jean sterling
November 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM
sterlij was assigned to me as a school system e-mail address, and I just kept it. They simply took the first six letters of your last name and the first letter of your first name. sterlij isn't so bad. A guy's name was David Ratner - his assigned e-mail address was ratnerd. He pronounced it ratner d, but it sure looked like rat nerd to me. His was the few e-mail addresses I remembered from the start.

2go+h20
November 4th, 2004, 09:52 PM
2go+h20 means To Motivate Add Water.
I learnt to swim at age 33 at MAsters. Fronted up and thought these guys were so serious, as they wore Speedos. I thought they were only for Olympic Athletes. I could do a form of front crawl, and sidestroke which I soon learnt wasn't a stroke masters did in a workout. The workout language was like learning a foreign language, and the maths invloved in the sets and pace clock stuff was mind boggling!
I always wanted to be a 'swimmer' as a child, and now have reached so many goals through swimming.
Not just water goals, but have the confidence and focus to set all sorts of goals and achieve them.
I now teach/ coach (all ages, stages and abilities, including Special Olympics and Swimmers With A Disability) and enjoy motivating others to achieve fitness as a lifestyle in the sport, to set goals and reach them.
So To Motivate Add Water is my motto.
Kiwi

geochuck
November 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by 2go+h20
I could do a form of front crawl, and sidestroke which I soon learnt wasn't a stroke masters did in a workout.
Nothing wrong with side stroke. It was the only stroke my father swam. He competed as a professional 6 day bicycle rider in the 20s.

George

newmastersswimmer
November 4th, 2004, 11:43 PM
It's hard to express in but a few words what the meaning of my forum name is (it's such a highly complex and technical issue with me)....and so I guess I will have to leave it as a total mystery for now.

newmastersswimmer

p.s. I can say why I picked my Avatar though....You see, I really do have the head of a giant green fish so it was a natural choice for me.....Anyone else want to also explain thier personal choice of Avatar as well?

newmastersswimmer
November 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I will let y'all know what my second choice for a forum name was (as well as why I didn't select it).....I was going to pick the forum name I use at my family website through MSN groups which is OTEW.....I didn't use it here b/c the meaning behind it reveals an extremely geeky side of me that I was hoping to keep a secret from everyone....BUT what the heck, by now everyone can see me as the geek I really am anyway....(just read any of my prior postings!)....so here goes....OTEW is an acronym for "Olorin The Extremely Wise"....a gag name for "Olorin The Wise"....If you know the origins for this name than you must also have a geeky side....(so what do I care?)

newmastersswimmer (AKA OTEW in some circles)

swimpastor
November 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM
??????

Saynomre
November 5th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Mine is from a Monty Python sketch. "Nudge nudge, say no more, say no more..." I love Monty Python!:D

justforfun
November 5th, 2004, 11:00 AM
I used to swim competitively and, looking back on it now, at times it became way too serious. As a result, I didn't swim at all for a long time. As I've more recently rediscovered my love for swimming, now I do it "justforfun"!!

swimlong
November 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM
because I want to swim for a long time, and I need to remind myself to "swim a long stroke" - reach forward to catch, pull down to the thigh...

swimshark
November 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Mine is a part of my email but it comes from my husband and I. My husband was a Navy pilot and his call sign was Shark 11 so that's where the shark part comes from and the swim, well, kind of obvious since I swim.:D

swimshark
November 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
.OTEW is an acronym for "Olorin The Extremely Wise"...
newmastersswimmer (AKA OTEW in some circles)

Okay, please explain who Olorin is for those who don't know (like me)

newmastersswimmer
November 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM

O.k. I will expose myself for the geek that I truelly am and tell you....Maybe you saw the Lord of The Rings Movies and/or read the books......If so, you may recall the wizard named Gandalf....(kind of a central character to the story to put it midly).....Anyway, as it turns out Gandalf and his fellow Wizards (Saruman and Radaghast, and the other 3 that are not mentioned by name) were all sent to Middle Earth by a powerful God named Manwe...(Manwe is sort of like the right hand man of the One GOD ....whose's name is Eru as well as other names...So Manwe is like the supreme Angel if you will in God's army...if that makes any sense?)....Anyway, The Wizards are like lower level Gods (or lower level angels....like the Cherubim as opposed to the Seraphim)....The higher level Gods like Manwe are called the Vala...The lower level gods like the Wizards are called Mia....The Wizards only took on the form of old men as a disguise to blend in with the other beings of Middle Earth. The order of Mia the Wizards come from are called the Istari.....Gandalf's name amongst the Istari and Vala (as well as other Mia) outside middle earth (in a land called Valinor) is "Olorin"...or "Olorin the Wise"....When Olorin entered middle earth under Manwe's wishes to help rid middle earth of Sauron forever, he then took the name Gandalf the Grey (among other names such as Mithrander for example...which just means "the grey pilgrim" in a certian elvish language called "Queenya"...my spellings here could all be wrong)......I am a big fan of Gandalf's.....He is the most valiant and interesting Character I think Tolkien ever created....(but perhaps Tom Bombadil is more mysterious?)....also there is some strange connection between Bombadil and Gandalf that is not really explained which I believe goes back to when Gandalf was known as "Olorin" and not Gandalf.....Pretty Geeky eh??

newmastersswimmer (AKA OTEW)

P.S. I have also gone by the name "Servant of Eru" in some very geeky-based Chatrooms before....Gandalf calls himself a "Servant of The Secret Fire" which translates as "Servant of Eru"....i.e. "Servant of God".

breastroker
November 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Those who know me will say well, DUH!

I live and breath breaststroke:D

Rob Copeland
November 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Jim, Pretty Geeky eh?? YES!!!!!

Thanks for the Olorin explanation. But you forgot to mention how the Silmarils fit into all of this.

As for my forum name…Well, when I signed up, it just never occurred to me to use anything other than my name.

James
November 5th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Don't know. Thought it sounded good.:D

James
November 5th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
But I have thought about changing it to Steelers Rule!

Hey Scansy, How do you change your user name?

newmastersswimmer
November 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Hey Now....Your suppose to say something like...."No Jim thats not geeky at all....your just self conscious about nothing.....that's a fascinating story...ect"....BUT no you had to tell it like it really is......and I'm sure you actually would love to hear how the Silmarils play into all of this....actually they don't play hardly any role (if any at all) in the story of Gandalf (AKA Olorin).....The story of Gandalf is about the rings of power not those ancient stones you speak of.

newmastersswimmer (AKA OTEW)

swimshark
November 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer

O.k. I will expose myself for the geek that I truelly am and tell you..

Thank you for the Lord of the Rings lesson. I think I am one of the few in the US that hasn't either read the books nor seen any of the movies.

swimr4life
November 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM
My name is my goal! I hope I swim until the day I die!....and if I keep swimming, hopefully that day will be YEARS from now! Masters swimming is so inspirational. I want to set records in the 95-99 age group one day!;)

Scansy
November 5th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by James
Hey Scansy, How do you change your user name?

Well...... I did some digging and found this little tidbit:

"You can alter any of the fields in your profile, except your username. Once you have registered your username, it becomes yours for life. In extreme circumstances, you may request that the administrator change your username, but he will require a very good reason to do so."

If the Steelers win the Superbowl again, I will ask to change it to Steelers Rule - and hope the administrator thinks it is a "very good reason".

For now, I will settle for the new signature below!:D

msgrupp
November 6th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I wonder where YOU"LL be at 1pm tomorrow? Not likely in a pool or a meet!!!!

Here in Pittsburgh--all the stations are revving (sp?) up for the game on Sunday between Philly and Pittsburgh.

Fred Johnson
November 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by swimshark
Thank you for the Lord of the Rings lesson. I think I am one of the few in the US that hasn't either read the books nor seen any of the movies.

I've never read any of the Lord books or seen the movies, but having read this thread I feel like I have.

My moniker is a name my mother liked to call me...since birth. I guess I lacked the imagination to come up with another one.

Fred Johnson
November 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I learnt to swim at age 33 at MAsters. Fronted up and thought these guys were so serious, as they wore Speedos. I thought they were only for Olympic Athletes. I could do a form of front crawl, and sidestroke which I soon learnt wasn't a stroke masters did in a workout. The workout language was like learning a foreign language, and the maths invloved in the sets and pace clock stuff was mind boggling!
I always wanted to be a 'swimmer' as a child, and now have reached so many goals through swimming.
Not just water goals, but have the confidence and focus to set all sorts of goals and achieve them.
I now teach/ coach (all ages, stages and abilities, including Special Olympics and Swimmers With A Disability) and enjoy motivating others to achieve fitness as a lifestyle in the sport, to set goals and reach them.
So To Motivate Add Water is my motto.
Kiwi

"2go+h20" is very clever. I love that name and the motto.

SwimsWithAFist
November 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM
I created my user name while I was having elbow problems and doing what the name suggested helped relieve the pain. It's also a reference to a "Dances With Wolves" character. My avatar? Well, I choose to remain anonymous.

lapswimmr
November 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
lapswimmr. I swim laps for exercise!

newmastersswimmer
November 7th, 2004, 02:04 PM
"2go+h20" is very clever. I love that name and the motto.

I second that emotion! I also really liked the background story behind "To motivate just add water"...Thanks for sharing it with us Kiwi!....Very inspirational stuff!

newmastersswimmer

newmastersswimmer
November 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I've never read any of the Lord books or seen the movies, but having read this thread I feel like I have.

And if you think about it, you've saved lots of money and time by not having to pay for the movie rentals nor having to buy any of the books and read them....The Silmarillion (and a few others "other" than the L.O.T.R.) are the ones you would have to actually read to find out about what I have shared here for free ...and some of them are VERY long books!!....You can thank me later!

OTEW

2go+h20
November 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Fred and newmasterswimmer,
Thank you.
Maybe it should be my license plate!!
I still pinch myself at what I have accomplished having finally 'reached my childhood dream of becoming a swimmer'.,
It feels so GREAT!!
As a younger person, our family would holiday at this beach, and on New Year's Day (remember, in Kiwiland this is summer!!) a group of swimmers would start from this beach and swim to the other side of the harbour. I ran up to my Dad and said, "I want to be a swimmer , I want to do that". He replied, "good, when you are ready I will row across with you". I then ran back to the beach, pushed our dingy into the water and rowed like a madman to catch up. I rowed with the swimmers, totally inspired. And on cloud nine, brain in complete 'rotor brain', rowed back the 3 mile distance.
But as our family was large, it simply wasn't possible to join a team.
But that dream never faded.
I learnt real swimming with masters at 33 years young. I am still mastering all 4 strokes. (my butterdie is now in the butterfly for 50m, and then turns into butterstruggle... a big improvement!!)
But I have conquered /or am conquering, my huge fear of the open water. (That has lots of very funny and great stories.)
My times are getting faster each year, even though I am now 50!
I relish my records with a grin, my father's is bigger.
Once I had built up my endurance, I returned to my home to 'conquer' that swim that first inspired me.
My father accompanied me on this 'historic swim' along with my own family; husband and children. I shattered the record and from that day forward I have set many goals, set bigger and more challenging goals.
My certificate and photo of the 'cup' are a prime mover to achieve again. To set new goals. To strive and reach these. To challenge myself.

I simply love to swim.
I love what it has made me be.
My love of this sport helps me inspire and motivate other swimmers.
Nothing can be more satisfying.
It is, as the ad's say, "priceless".
But more importantly, nobody, absolutely nobody, can take that away!!
Kiwi

Sonic Swimmer78
November 7th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by swimr4life
My name is my goal! I hope I swim until the day I die!....and if I keep swimming, hopefully that day will be YEARS from now! Masters swimming is so inspirational. I want to set records in the 95-99 age group one day!;)

OH YEAH!!! I want to keep on swimming til I die too.

Hmm... Why I chose Sonic Swimmer78... Sonic: not because of the blue hedgehog, but because I am working on a comic about swimming, which is called ironically, "Sonic Team". Sonic is the captain of the Sonic team and swims unbelievably fast.

Swimmer: ...well, that's obvious. I'm a Swimmer like everyone else in USMS.org. I'm also a Masters Swimmer myself.

MASTERS RULE!!

and lastly, 78: 1978, the year I was brought into this world.

Sonic Swimmer78

Tom Ellison
November 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Tom Ellison

It is what it is....

Scansy
November 8th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by msgrupp
I wonder where YOU"LL be at 1pm tomorrow? Not likely in a pool or a meet!!!!

Here in Pittsburgh--all the stations are revving (sp?) up for the game on Sunday between Philly and Pittsburgh.

I was in Section 512, Row LL, Seat 7. Wow, was that fun!

tjburk
November 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
T=Tracy - J=Jennifer(Wife) - Burk=Short for Burkholder. Thought about using my usual - TJBURK88 = 88 is better then 69! Anyone know why?

newmastersswimmer
November 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, I really am impressed to hear more of your story.....I think it is incredible that you went back and smashed the record for that open water swim when you were already an adult with children !...That is totally amazing! I am so glad that you finally were able to live out your childhood dream and experience so much joy from swimming! Congratulations!

newmastersswimmer

Fred Johnson
November 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Fred and newmasterswimmer,
Thank you.
Maybe it should be my license plate!!
I still pinch myself at what I have accomplished having finally 'reached my childhood dream of becoming a swimmer'.,
It feels so GREAT!!
As a younger person, our family would holiday at this beach, and on New Year's Day (remember, in Kiwiland this is summer!!) a group of swimmers would start from this beach and swim to the other side of the harbour. I ran up to my Dad and said, "I want to be a swimmer , I want to do that". He replied, "good, when you are ready I will row across with you". I then ran back to the beach, pushed our dingy into the water and rowed like a madman to catch up. I rowed with the swimmers, totally inspired. And on cloud nine, brain in complete 'rotor brain', rowed back the 3 mile distance.
But as our family was large, it simply wasn't possible to join a team.
But that dream never faded.
I learnt real swimming with masters at 33 years young. I am still mastering all 4 strokes. (my butterdie is now in the butterfly for 50m, and then turns into butterstruggle... a big improvement!!)
But I have conquered /or am conquering, my huge fear of the open water. (That has lots of very funny and great stories.)
My times are getting faster each year, even though I am now 50!
I relish my records with a grin, my father's is bigger.
Once I had built up my endurance, I returned to my home to 'conquer' that swim that first inspired me.
My father accompanied me on this 'historic swim' along with my own family; husband and children. I shattered the record and from that day forward I have set many goals, set bigger and more challenging goals.
My certificate and photo of the 'cup' are a prime mover to achieve again. To set new goals. To strive and reach these. To challenge myself.

I simply love to swim.
I love what it has made me be.
My love of this sport helps me inspire and motivate other swimmers.

Nothing can be more satisfying.
It is, as the ad's say, "priceless".
But more importantly, nobody, absolutely nobody, can take that away!!
Kiwi

Thanks for the great history to go with the great moniker. There's a great life lesson in there for anyone who wants to succeed.

November 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Well....I started swimming as a baby. My mother said that at age 2 I jumped off the diving board by myself ....to a instructor of course. I then started competing at age 7. My first swim meet I got First place in Butterfly, Freestyle and Backstroke and Second in Breaststroke. Anyway....I also have always had jobs as a Lifeguard or a swim intructor. Now I am swimming for fitness to lose weight. I joined weight watchers this year too and swimming is my cardio of choice. My name is Jenn and I swim.

Long answer to a short question!:D :cool:

ALM
November 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Mine is the mascot of my alma mater, the University of Kansas.

You can read about the legend of the Kansas Jayhawk here:
http://www.ur.ku.edu/KU/Traditions/traditions.html

Oh, and my car's license plate is: LV2SWIM.

old dog
November 9th, 2004, 10:35 PM
...it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks...
or change a stroke...but it has been done.. :0)

Thanks to Terri, Emmett, Glenn, and esp. Tom.

shark
November 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM
In college our team had sub-teams inside the team. The divers were the Sailfish, im'ers -Man o' war, flyers - Piranha, Barracuda- breaststrokers, sprinters - Volofish, distance - Shark. Each subteam had a color and specific shirt. We would compete inside the team for shirts. To collect all of them was a tough task. We were very protective of our group shirts. I was and am proud to be a shark. Once a shark, always a shark.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 16th, 2004, 01:20 AM
...Kind of reminds me of a friend I have at the university pool. ...Goes by the name "Mark the Shark".