PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and running

morinda73
November 5th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Hi!!

I'm new to swimming and I must say I find the contributions on this forum really good so I am hoping for some sound advice. I am a member of a gym with an indoor 25m pool and am struggling to improve the number of lengths I am currently doing which is only about 30 in 25 minutes. I acknowledge that my stroke is probably lousy and as a result I am taking lessons from professionals at our national 50m olympic pool (I am lucky to have such a facility nearby).

I have been a good runner for a number of years and I was wondering whether it is a good idea to do some running in tandem or on days when I am too sore to swim. I did read that running and swimming build different types of muscle which are polar to one another, is this true?

I want to join a local masters team here in Ireland but don't know how good I need to be before I approach the team!!!

I would appreciate any advice

u352
November 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Hello-I swim and I run.

You are right that they are different muscles, I think you refered to them as polar but if you are in good shape then they will compliment each other. Now all summer I ran taking a break from swimming. I attempted the Bay Bridge swim this year and wanted to stay out of the pool for a while but I wanted to maintain conditioning so when i started swimming again it would be an easy transition.

The transition has been easy becuase of my conditioning but my muscles need some time to get used to my swimming.

do them both.

morinda73
November 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the advice!!!

Originally posted by u352
Hello-I swim and I run.

You are right that they are different muscles, I think you refered to them as polar but if you are in good shape then they will compliment each other. Now all summer I ran taking a break from swimming. I attempted the Bay Bridge swim this year and wanted to stay out of the pool for a while but I wanted to maintain conditioning so when i started swimming again it would be an easy transition.

The transition has been easy becuase of my conditioning but my muscles need some time to get used to my swimming.

do them both.