PDA

View Full Version : Swimming AND Running!!

morinda73
November 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Hi!!

I'm new to swimming and I must say I find the contributions on this forum really good so I am hoping for some sound advice. I am a member of a gym with an indoor 25m pool and am struggling to improve the number of lengths I am currently doing which is only about 30 in 25 minutes. I acknowledge that my stroke is probably lousy and as a result I am taking lessons from professionals at our national 50m olympic pool (I am lucky to have such a facility nearby).

I have been a good runner for a number of years and I was wondering whether it is a good idea to do some running in tandem or on days when I am too sore to swim. I did read that running and swimming build different types of muscle which are polar to one another, is this true?

I want to join a local masters team here in Ireland but don't know how good I need to be before I approach the team!!!

I would appreciate any advice

Scansy
November 5th, 2004, 05:01 PM
From my experience - I swam first and got into a little bit of shape, even lost some weight. I seemed to hit a plateau with my swimming progress so I started to run one day a week, immediately after swimming. I almost immediately broke through the plateau.

I think the cross training effect is good in my case where swimming is a means to get into shape and lose weight. Still, I am a swimmer first and a runner second. But making my body work in a different way once or twice a week really seems to have helped my overall conditioning.

One thing I have been careful about is my ankles - I have read that running causes the ankles to be less flexible. But flexible ankles are good for swimming kick power. So I try to stretch mine to keep them from getting too tight.

morinda73
November 5th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Ankle inflexability is a problem I currently have but the more time I have spent in the pool and away from the threadmill the better it has gotten but I still have a way to go.

There does seem to be some different effects from swimming on appetite as when I go swimming I come out of the pool starving but go running and my appetite is supressed. I find that I just need to hydrate properly and watch what I eat after swimming.

Originally posted by Scansy
From my experience - I swam first and got into a little bit of shape, even lost some weight. I seemed to hit a plateau with my swimming progress so I started to run one day a week, immediately after swimming. I almost immediately broke through the plateau.

I think the cross training effect is good in my case where swimming is a means to get into shape and lose weight. Still, I am a swimmer first and a runner second. But making my body work in a different way once or twice a week really seems to have helped my overall conditioning.

One thing I have been careful about is my ankles - I have read that running causes the ankles to be less flexible. But flexible ankles are good for swimming kick power. So I try to stretch mine to keep them from getting too tight.

EyeoreSAM
November 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I also run in addition to swimming and lifting weights. I find that I have to run and lift weights before I swim.