PDA

View Full Version : Have any fun BACKSTROKE sets to share?

USMSarah
November 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Hi there-
I just started masters not too long ago, and I'm sorta doing my own thing at practice as I "prepare" to get back into shape. Anyways, my backstroke feels awesome and I was wondering if anyone had any sets that they have done before that they would like to share!

Thanks a bunch,
Sarah:D

laineybug
November 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Swim it catch-up style.

EyeoreSAM
November 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
every month or so I do a set of 8 X 200 negative splitting to see where I am. Being that this is backstroke I find that I am able to peek at the clock at the 100 to make sure that I am neg. splitting. I am a backstroker and I have so many practices and drills that I would be here for hours listing them.

USMSarah
November 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
SAM
Thanks! What drills do you do?
I seem to be stuck on 3 strokes, 6 kicks or one stroke, 6 kicks... what works for you? The catch-up drill feels a little too unnatural for me.

:cool:

EyeoreSAM
November 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
I will do the sit drill - which is where I usually do half a lap sitting up as far as I can stroke really fast and then transition to backstroke (gets the muscles stronger).

I also do one arm (i.e. right) per lap working on popping the opposite shoulder out of the water.

Also, just generally working on overexaggerating the body roll on the three left three right three whole strokes.

These are drills from about 10 yrs ago that my coaches always used to do. I'm sure there are a lot more out there, but these always seemed to get my backstroke in shape.

You can also pull backstroke working on the push through by your waist. I never use paddles b/c it just adds too much stress to my shoulders.

mattson
November 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
3 strokes then glide (for a few seconds). (Whoops, just noticed EyeoreSAM's post...)

Or LA (long axis) combo: 4 strokes back, 3 strokes free.