PDA

View Full Version : backstroke turn rule question

AnnG
November 7th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I am working with a fellow masters swimmer on his backstroke and am trying to figure out a way that he can do a more efficient open turn (ideally I would get him to flip turn but he isn't interested in somersaulting at this point!). I am wondering why he couldn't do the same approach as if to flip, i.e., roll to the stomach and take that last stroke on his stomach, then grab the wall for his open turn, tuck his legs and push off on his back again. The rules say it has to be a continuous motion and I am thinking as long as he doesn't take another stroke on his stomach and executes the turn in one continuous motion why this method wouldn't be just as legal as a flip turn. That being said I sure don't see people doing an open turn like this in backstroke at meets. So what am I missing?

Fritz
November 7th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Rule 101.4.3 has a note that covers this.

Note: The swimmer who turns past the vertical and, in a continuous motion, grabs the wall before pushing off with the feet while on the back is considered to have executed a "continuous turning action."

The way I read it and envision it, you wouldn't get a pull.

Rob Copeland
November 7th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Ann,

As Fritz mentioned, it is legal, provided the swimmer maintains a continuous turning motion. One reason you donít see many people turning like this is because it is slower than performing a flip turn.

Another reason is because it is real hard to get the timing correct to keep this turn legal. Once you have rotated onto your breast, you need to have reached the wall. Any glide or reach, you are on your breast would constitute a non-continuous turning action and would be illegal.