PDA

View Full Version : You know you are a swimmer when ...

Pages : [1] 2

ljlete
February 2nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
Just thought I would start a thread which didn't have deep philosophical overtones so that we all can have fun with the new forum software. Based upon personal experience, I will start a list of “You know you are a swimmer when …” with the following:

You know you are a swimmer when you leave work in the rain and you can smell the chlorine coming off of your hair.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Bert Petersen
February 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
You know you are a swimmer when you discover that your bathroom door is getting mold and dry rot from having wet towels and suits hanging on it................:mad:

zoomer
February 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
You know you're a swimmer when:

Your hair stylist sends you the bill for sharpening her scissors.

joy
February 2nd, 2002, 10:42 PM
U know ur a swimmer when--------the scented lotion or perfume u use after showering, doesn't cover up the chlorine smell from practice and ur friends tell u that u smell like chlorine.

strong440
February 2nd, 2002, 11:38 PM
your wife asks you at the supper table, "do you mean to be wearing your swimming goggles?"

And hey Leo, looking at your moniker what I see and hear, even through the ringing in my ears, is EEElete. How long has it been since the discussion was about elite swimmers? 'Specially since in some parts of the world, like the vicinity of Romania, the letter j, at least in its capital form, seems to be a substitute for the letter i, and is pronounced EEE. Please forgive me.

strong440
February 3rd, 2002, 03:59 PM
hey, everybody
I messed up my previous post twice, first by introducing the comparative form of swimmer (swimmier, for cryin' out loud),and second, by omitting 'around your neck'.

So, If ya'll'l let me...when your wife asks at the supper table, "how's come you're wearing your swimming goggles around your neck?"

Fisch
February 3rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
You know you are a swimmer when somebody else makes plans
that screw up your regularly scheduled endorphin time and
THEY end up having a bad day too.:mad:

Ion Beza
February 3rd, 2002, 08:25 PM
You know you are a swimmer when:

you cannot swim because of other people's priorities.

Tom Ellison
February 4th, 2002, 09:23 AM
You know you're a swimmer when you hang your Speedo on the doorknob every day after practice and the chlorine eats the brass off the knob...and leaves a green ring.:(

jroddin
February 4th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Similar to others but not explicitly stated:

You know you are a swimmer when you get into the shower just after getting up in the morning and just as the water hits your body you can smell the chlorine coming out of your pores.

Jeff

matysekj
February 4th, 2002, 11:42 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you constantly have cuts and bruises on the back of your right hand from trying to do butterfly in the end lane of a thin-laned pool.

Mark in MD
February 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
You know you are a swimmer when your wife reminds you to take down your swim stuff in the spare bath room so she can hang up her lingerie because you're not 'sposed to do that and she can. (Tom, is that green ring on the door knob or your on Speedo?) :rolleyes:

Rob Copeland
February 4th, 2002, 12:31 PM
You know you are a swimmer when ... you would rather meet Lenny Krayzelburg or Natalie Coughlin, instead of George W. Bush

emmett
February 4th, 2002, 01:58 PM
You know you're behind a swimmer in traffic when the thing dangling from their rear-view mirror is a pair of goggles.

MegSmath
February 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you plan your vacations around swim meets. Or better yet, when you expect your family to come along with you to a swim meet AS their vacation!

Meg Smath

Philip Arcuni
February 4th, 2002, 03:49 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you read Meg's post and wonder "What else am I supposed to do?"

Rick Harris
February 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
1. You keep track of your daily sets or yardage on your handheld.

2. One or both of your shoulders click every time you put on a jacket.

3. You know of at least 5 different ways to adjust your goggles in advance of diving in for warm-up.

4. You occasionally shave a second or two from your send-offs to get a better draft from the swimmer who leaves in front of you. Corollary: You just hate it when the coach, who has not failed to notice your proclivities, tells you to lead the lane.

5. You complain if the water is warmer than 81 degrees F.

6. Your spouse never sees you in the morning.

7. You know the names of more than three Olympic swimmers AND are at least pretty sure you know their events.

8. You're still mad about what happened to the USA women's team at Montreal in 1976.

9. You decide you might like to move to Australia when you retire.

10. The words, "Breaststroke pull," automatically cause you to think up reasons you need to leave the swim workout right away.

vietti
February 4th, 2002, 05:21 PM
You know you're a swimmer when.....

at our age :D we are not afraid of, or embarrassed by, wearing racing suits or speedos.

(maybe..... because swimmers in general are in pretty good shape????)

Rob Copeland
February 4th, 2002, 05:33 PM
You know you're a swimmer when..... your wife complains because you borrowed her razor to shave your legs

You know you're a swimmer when..... you think a drag suit is a baggy swim suit instead of a man in fishnet stockings and stiletto heels.

jean sterling
February 4th, 2002, 07:19 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you get up at 5 AM to go to swim practice in an outdoor pool in February and the temperature is in the 30s.

KenChertoff
February 4th, 2002, 07:29 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you get up at 5AM to go to swim practice on a weekend.

zoomer
February 4th, 2002, 07:39 PM
You know you're a swimmer when there are no towels in the linen closet. They are all in the trunk of your car.

jean sterling
February 4th, 2002, 08:52 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you use spreadsheet to keep track of your yardage

Deb
February 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you look foward to turning 45, or 50 or ......

jean sterling
February 5th, 2002, 09:04 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you understand the humor and truth in the posts on this thread.

effi
February 5th, 2002, 12:30 PM
...you know where to find your suit and goggles, because they're still hanging out to dry from the last swim 12-24 hours ago (And you stumble over your flip flops and gym bag on the way to get the suit).

Mark in MD
February 5th, 2002, 01:57 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you have left your suit in your gear bag that was in your car's trunk overnight in the winter. When you get to the locker room, realize your mistake, your dry one is home hanging on that green door knob, you still put the wet and very cold (almost frozen) one on in the shower to thaw it out. Anyone been there, done that? No doubt, lots of us! Brr. :o

Janis
February 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
The first thing you do when you are home from officiating at a 5 day swim meet is go swimming because you are tired of LOOKING at blue water and would rather be in it or even worse-the hotel pool was even looking good.

In Wiconsin, it is a frozen suit (complete with frost crystals)and towel and shampoo and conditioner:cool:

Janis
February 5th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Or when looking at the available smiley faces, this one:cool: :cool: :cool: is wearing goggles, not glasses.

Tom Ellison
February 5th, 2002, 08:36 PM
You know you’re a swimmer when the girls in your in high school looked “DORKY” in their bikinis….because you were NOT used to seeing girls in anything but a regular old Speedo…. ;) bikinis

tzsegal
February 5th, 2002, 10:05 PM
highlighted.You know you are a swimmer when

The pool schedule is held on your fridge by magnets and the lap swim (as opposed to open swim or aerobics or kids lesson) times are highlighted.

jean sterling
February 6th, 2002, 08:44 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you hunt up the local Y when you want to swim instead of using the pool at the motel where you are staying.

When you ask for driving directions at the front desk, they usually will say, "But we have a pool here".

LauraAswim
February 6th, 2002, 09:37 AM
You know you're a dedicated swimmer currently taking a break from the pool and competition because "real life is getting in the way" when you clean your bathroom with Tilex and think about how much you LOVE and MISS the smell of chlorine at your local pool....

jean sterling
February 6th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Ahhh, the smell of chlorine. In my younger days I swam mostly in indoor pools, but now I swim almost exclusively in outdoor pools, which aren't quite the same so far as that chlorine smell. I find that when I walk into an indoor pool and inhale that wonderful nostalgic smell.....Ahhhhh, it's wonderful!

tzsegal
February 6th, 2002, 12:19 PM
You have rearranged your coffee drinking schedule to avoid backwash during workouts.

Mark in MD
February 6th, 2002, 01:52 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you do use the hotel pool and no one will get in at the same time with you because you obviously know what you are doing. Or, you're in the hotel pool and people start asking you for pointers and your workout becomes their stroke clinic! Solution to this dilemma: take's Jean's advice and find a local Y.

Fisch
February 6th, 2002, 09:41 PM
You know you are a swimmer when you read USA TODAY
and you find out lots of people HATE to exercise!

Who could believe?!?!!!

ALM
February 7th, 2002, 11:49 PM
You know you are a swimmer when...

...you carry a 5/8" wrench in your workout bag because it's a lot easier to tighten the lane ropes yourself than to wait for the guards to find their wrench.

...you are 5'1", 105 lbs, but you eat more than your date does.

...you drive a car with personalized "LV2SWIM" plates.

...you have 64 swimming-related t-shirts in your closet (seriously--I just counted).

--Anna Lea

Jim Pierotti
February 8th, 2002, 12:14 AM
When your shower has cobwebs. ;)

Bob Boder
February 8th, 2002, 07:34 AM
You know you are a swimmer when ........... you do a freestyle flip turn at 36 weeks pregnant.

This is in honor of our coach Jenni who came with us to a meet in Charlotte and could not seem to sit and just coach us. She deck entered the 50 free.

Matt S
February 8th, 2002, 11:50 AM
You know you're a swimmer when...your car smells like the pool because you hang your towel on the passenger seat and you suit on the gear shift to dry them out.

Rob Copeland
February 8th, 2002, 04:22 PM
You know you’re a swimming family when … you find nothing unusual with your wife working our on Tuesday, delivering a baby on Wednesday and then coming to a meet with the baby on Saturday.

Part 2
You know you’re a swimming family when … you find nothing unusual with your wife coaching a practice on Wednesday, delivering the second baby on Thursday and after skipping Friday practice, is back on the deck for Sunday practice.

jean sterling
February 8th, 2002, 06:53 PM
You know you are a swimmer when your computer desk top features a picture of swimmers lined up on starting blocks.

strong440
February 8th, 2002, 08:52 PM
you know you're a swimmer when you warm down with an "easy" hundred buterfly with your fists closed.

ljlete
February 9th, 2002, 12:05 AM
You know that you are a swimmer (or married to one) when your wife swims a 400 LCM IM the week prior to delivering both of your children.

She did one in a meet and was touched out by some "guy" and one in practice and did flip turns for both back and free! And I wonder why both of my girls are good IMers:)

vietti
February 9th, 2002, 12:07 PM
You are a swimmer when, at 7 1/2 months pregnant, you swim the "Brute Squad" events (1650, 400IM, 200 fly) and discover that the 200 fly is the easiest..... something to do with a LOWER center of gravity??

P.S. Do they still have the Brute Squad in Denver??

jean sterling
February 10th, 2002, 10:06 PM
You know you are a swimmer when checking out the location of places to swim is an important part of planning a trip

A.G. Thompson
February 11th, 2002, 09:53 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you run the air conditioning in your car even in the winter to be able to see while your driving.

MetroSwim
February 11th, 2002, 11:58 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you get up at 5:30 on a Sunday morning to drive an hour and a half from Long Island to New Jersey because someone mentioned to you (on Wednesday) that there was a 100 x 100's (LCM) workout at Rutgers.

Man, are my arms tired.

ljlete
February 13th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Things have been slow and maybe this will end this tread...

You know you are a swimmer when you stop and compete at the National Championships (Industry Hills, CA) on your way to your Honeymoon in Hawii.

For those who don't remember and are curious, Industry Hills was SCY in 1984.

Leo

jean sterling
February 15th, 2002, 07:06 PM
You know you are a swimmer when you don't know how many laps you have swum at the end of a workout because you keep track of your workouts in sets of so many yards (or meters) per set.

Don't you just love it when a water aerobe or a floater asks how many laps you swim - they seem to think that you swim the same number of laps each day. I used to do the math and come up with a number for them, but now I just tell them the number of yards and let them do the math if they are so inclined.

breastroker
March 4th, 2002, 11:00 PM
You know you're a swimmer when
1. You keep track of your daily sets or yardage on your handheld.

Swim Coach Steven Creek Software, Team Manager PDA from HY-TEK

2. One or both of your shoulders click every time you put on a jacket.
Both click, as does the right elbow and right knee.

3. You know of at least 5 different ways to adjust your goggles in advance of diving in for warm-up.

Don't apply,I use a goggle cap!

4. You occasionally shave a second or two from your send-offs to get a better draft from the swimmer who leaves in front of you. Corollary: You just hate it when the coach, who has not failed to notice your proclivities, tells you to lead the lane.

Coaches tell me I cheat more than that!!!

5. You complain if the water is warmer than 81 degrees F.

Also complain when it is colder than 79.5 degrees, 80.25 perfect!

6. Your spouse never sees you in the morning.

Morning and evening!

7. You know the names of more than three Olympic swimmers AND are at least pretty sure you know their events.

I know the names and times of the last 20 years of 100 and 200 breaststroke!!!

8. You're still mad about what happened to the USA women's team at Montreal in 1976.

Mad as hell, still. Mad at the cheating Chinese women? in 1992, 1996, and 2000!!!

9. You decide you might like to move to Australia when you retire.
The Brisbane pool would be great, and the Gold Coast has topless bathing!!!

10. The words, "Breaststroke pull," automatically cause you to think up reasons you need to leave the swim workout right away.

Now those are fighting words, I LOVE a great breaststroke pull down, sometimes get 15 yards!!! I do shudder at the word "backstroke". or any set over 100 yards!!

:cool:

Wayne McCauley

Fisch
March 20th, 2002, 10:28 PM
.....when you drive thru a snow storm to go to your regular practice time, get to the normally busy
pool, and find you are the ONLY one in the pool.;)

tzsegal
March 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
in your wildest dream you

Originally posted by Fisch
..... drive thru a snow storm to go to your regular practice time, get to the normally busy
pool, and find you are the ONLY one in the pool.;)

:cool:

ex_kiwi_cber
April 11th, 2002, 03:43 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you know there is a pool somewhere nearby because you can SMELL it.

LindsayM
May 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
First of all, thanks for this thread. I swam seriously from the time I was 9 to the time I was 17, and I have recently been thinking of getting back in the pool again after 5 1/2 years out of the water. This thread was something of a clincher because it made me think about how much I miss swimming.

So, I know I'm a little slow since this thread was from a while back, but I'd like to add my two cents... :cool: You know you are a swimmer when...

--after five years out of the pool, you still have amazingly wonderful dreams about swimming (the kind of dreams where you wake up elated). one of my most recent was that i was at practice and realized that i was swimming through 5 feet of snow instead of 5 feet of water.
--you don't wear makeup because you never learned how to apply it properly at age 14 because it was just going to wash off in the pool anyways.
--you look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle in the summertime because of your goggle tan.
--you knew your summer team (country club team) was being silly when they ordered black team swimcaps because everyone knows they melt at the edges during long kicking sets.
--you don't think it's at all odd to wear 3 to 4 swim suits at one time.
--you spent a half an hour before meets trying to fit into a size 25 paper suit because it was going to make you go faster, of course.
--you sometimes had to wear your suit under your clothes all day at highschool because it's easy to forget to pack things like underwear in your bag before 5:30 am practice.
--you know that the word "swedes" doesn't necessarily refer to persons from scandinavia. your non-swimming friends grimace to think you put those things on your face, but really, who needs that foam rubber stuff anyways!?
--you (your mom) first shaved your legs (arms, back) at age 9 because according to your coach, anyone older than 8 had to shave and taper like the rest of them.
--you have have gone ice skating many times in your swim suit and parka with no socks (i imagine people from colorado would understand this one).
:cool: --Lindsay

Lexa
May 16th, 2002, 02:20 AM
You know you're a swimmer when shaving is a whole body experience...:)

MattSwimAllDay
June 12th, 2002, 03:07 AM

You have to stop swimming for 2 years and notice a decline in the quality of life.

When you do laps for the first time in 2 years, and the night before you can't get any sleep because you are SO EXCITED!!!

When you swim for a couple hours in the morning, and then in the afternoon get depressed because you aren't swimming so go back and swim a couple more hours. Then, at night, you are looking at your clock every 5 seconds to see if it's morning yet. This process repeats day after day...even weekends.

I'm a swimmer, swimming was my life 2 years ago, and I'm SOOOOOOO HAPPY I'M BACK!!!

^---And only a true swimmer would say that. ;)

USNAVYGUNNER
June 12th, 2002, 07:09 AM
You know you are a swimmer when:
The only dreams that you remember are about being 12' under the surface, and are breathing normally. Then you try it!!!

I stopped swimming for about 2 years because I had failed a major military school that focuses on swimming. I got back into the pool about 3weeks ago, and I am already back into my groove. Nothing makes me happier than consistently clear sinuses!!

Tom Ellison
June 12th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Hey Gunner:
Failed is a relative term...as is winning. Coming back makes you a winner in my book. Give me heck!

jean sterling
June 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
You know you are a swimmer when people's first question is, "Did you swim much?" when you return from a vacation.

boeing
June 15th, 2002, 11:49 AM
You know you are a swimmer when your swim wear never has a chance to dry out!

Matt S
June 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Hey Gunner,

You know you're in the Navy when...

The Base Athletic Championships includes such sports (all highly related to general fitness and/or critical professional skills) as golf, bowling, darts and (I kid you not) mixed-doubles billiards. Meanwhile, the swimmers cannot convince the powers that be to add a swim meet to the list because it costs too much money. (?)

Don't mind my grousing. Welcome to the Jungle (aka the USMS Forums); grab a vine and swing on in.

Matt

TheMermaid
June 20th, 2002, 01:31 AM
You know you're a swimmer when your friends get excited when they get their bikinis and you get excited when you get a new speedo.

TheMermaid
June 20th, 2002, 01:42 AM
you know you are a swimmer when you go to the usms website if you're not at the pool...

cinc3100
June 20th, 2002, 08:54 PM
You must be a backstoker wanting to meet both Lenny K and Natalie Couglin. I'm terrible at backstroke. In my youth I wanted to meet Lynn Collella. She was the most famous breaststoker and butteflyer combination. She went to nationals in both 200 fly and 200 breastroke. And went to the olympics in 200 fly in 1972. I did see her at a meet but my father didn't want me to get an autograph.However, I was on a team with the best female swimmer of the 1970's, Shirley Bashashoff, great freestyler and was national level in the other three strokes. That's why meeting current top level swimmers is probably not as important to me since I swam on the same team with some of the elite in the 1970's.

aztimm
June 21st, 2002, 03:17 PM
You know you're a swimmer when....

people ask why your face has a strange tanline, after doing a backstroke set.

The goggle tanline makes you look like a raccoon!!

Tim Murphy
Sun Devil Masters

michaelmoore
June 23rd, 2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by aztimm
You know you're a swimmer when....

people ask why your face has a strange tanline, after doing a backstroke set.

The goggle tanline makes you look like a raccoon!!

Ah the advantages of swimming in an indoor pool - no tan lines. When ever the melanin accumulates, the chlorine takes it away.

cinc3100
June 23rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
Wayne(breastorker), I'm still mad at the 1976 olympics because our women were cheated. And I knew Leia F from Lakewood swim club who began like me as a novice swimmer in 1969 in LA County. She made it as the three person in the 100 meter butterfly on the olympic team. And I also knew Shirley Babashoff because I was on Huntington Beach-Phillips 66 from the summer of 1971 to summer of 1973 before Shirley Babashoff went over to Mission Viejo. Shirley could have won more gold medals rather than silver at the 1976 olympics if the Germans didn't cheat and she could have made a lot more money after she left the sport. I also was made at 1988 and 1932 and there probably is still drugs being use by indivdiual swimmers not as much as a government program. I don't blame the swimmers from Germany or China because they lived or live in authorian societies that put pressure on them to take steriods.

Tom Ellison
June 25th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Cinc310 wrote:
I don't blame the swimmers from Germany or China because they lived or live in authoritarian societies that put pressure on them to take steroids.
Gosh, I understand what your saying here...and yes, they had a great deal of pressure to use steroids and junk like that...BUT, they still knew it was WRONG and CHEATING! Cinc310 is very accurate in her assessment of the harm and damage this caused for people like Shirley B. and many other great swimmers who did not CHEAT.
This was a tragedy for the Shirley B's of the world. Many great athletes worked their entire lives to reach a goal, only to have their goals, dreams and rightful place in history robbed by drug factory athletic programs. In Shirley B's case...she knew good and well what the deal was and she had the courage to speak up at the Olympics....only to have the unwarranted title of "Surly Shirley" hung around her neck by the media. Heck, we have not scratched the surface with respect to the possible millions of dollars this cost Shirley B. in endorsements and such. What makes this any different then simple GRAND THEFT?

Rob Copeland
June 25th, 2002, 01:55 PM
You know you’re a swimmer when….
The mention of the ’76 Olympics brings back such strong emotions. Both positive and negative.

The US women being cheated,

The US Men dominating (10 gold, 10 silver, 6 bronze out of 11 individual events, plus Gold in both relays)

And the truly amazing women’s 4 X 100 Free relay of Kim Peyton, Wendy Boglioli, Jill Sterkel, and Shirley Babashoff who, against all odds, took GOLD.

wannabeafish
July 11th, 2002, 11:50 AM
You know you're a swimmer when...

In the battle of getting out of bed at 4:45 am, sleep never wins.

KeatherSwim
July 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
You max your credit cards one month and the only store listed on the monthly statement (more than once) is "Speedo".

wannabeafish
July 12th, 2002, 02:44 PM

Doing a load of whites (with bleach of course) puts you in a better mood!

KeatherSwim
July 13th, 2002, 12:22 AM
I am not the only person who admits to loving the smell of bleach simply for the "chlorine reminder" value.

Mag
July 16th, 2002, 06:15 PM
...your vacation this year will be spent at Cleveland for the long course nationals.

jean sterling
July 23rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you use spreadsheet to keep track of your swimming stats.

Fisch
September 2nd, 2002, 10:40 PM
...when you realize ego is false,

and love is real.

Swim on it.......

cinc3100
September 3rd, 2002, 12:52 AM
you know your a swimmer when the holiday cuts down on practice time and you wanted to swim on that day.

born2fly
September 3rd, 2002, 07:42 AM
You know your a swimmer when you sit here and read all the threads and can relate to every single one.

You know your a swimmer when rather doing lunch at work, you go to the Y to swim a few thousands yards instead

kerees
September 12th, 2002, 10:20 PM
..a swimmer when you have a swim cap tan across your forehead.

..an open water swimmer when you show up to work on Monday with race numbers still printed on your arms.

..a swimmer when you're idea of doing laundry is making sure you have clean, dry towels.

..a California (or other sunbelt state) swimmer when you're tan doesn't fade even in winter.

hope these aren't repeats
Karla

Brad Biddle
September 13th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by kerees
..a California (or other sunbelt state) swimmer when you're tan doesn't fade even in winter.

Along these lines...

You know you're an Arizona swimmer when your entire pre-swim streching program consists of trying to completely lather your own back with sunscreen.

--Brad

pbsaurus
September 13th, 2002, 04:59 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you're spouse is so sick of swimming events that he/she says, "I would rather watch paint dry than go to your meet"

*yep, she actually said that*

You know you're a February Fitness Challenge Swimmer when you spend all your time at work thinking up ways you can escape and get more yards in.

Ion Beza
May 10th, 2003, 11:07 PM
.) you only own shirts from swim meets;

.) you jump at the sound of a car horn;

.) you leave the house dry, and come home wet.

swimr4life
May 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM
......While you are recovering from shoulder surgery, you break down in tears while doing a load of whites because the smell of bleach reminds you how much you miss swimming!!!
......Your idea of a perfect Mother's Day is going for a swim!
......You get up at 6:00 during your vacation so you can get your swim in before your family wakes up!
......When looking for a new house, one of your requirements is a neighborhood with a 25yd. pool!!
......You actually start shaking from the adrenaline rush while watching swimming competition on TV.
......YOU CAN NOT IMAGINE YOUR LIFE WITHOUT THIS WONDERFULL SPORT!!!!
:D

swimrat
May 12th, 2003, 11:46 AM
....two words

RACOON EYES!!!

Kel,

jean sterling
May 12th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by swimr4life
[B......You get up at 6:00 during your vacation so you can get your swim in before your family wakes up!:D [/B]

I can relate to that!! When we go away I always look up swimming pools on ymca.net and swimmersguide.com, and a lot of the time I do end up getting up at 5:30 and eating a power bar on the way to the pool. What is really funny is that hotels will usually say, "But we have a pool here", not realizing that a 15 yard pool with a rope across the middle and stairs at the end is pretty useless as a SWIMMING pool.

Yardbird
October 22nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
You know you're a swimmer when you inhale a bunch of water and can integrate your gasps and coughs into your breathing cycle without breaking stride!

Nancy Graham
October 22nd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Or even if not inhaling any water, but you get this little tickle in your throat that needs a cough and you do so as Kim describes!

Nancy

Light
October 22nd, 2003, 09:43 PM
oh oh, you know you're a swimmer when:

after a sprint, when you're standing in the pool gasping for air, it's somehow easier to breath out under the water than just into the air... anyone experiencing this? Heads into water, breath out, head above water breath in, rinse and repeat...

Scansy
October 23rd, 2003, 09:52 PM
When i am totally exhausted in my workout but not done yet, I start doing "open" turns - and I bob up/down once and take an extra breath at the end of the pool! And I always exhale under the water when I do it.... Not sure why. Didn't plan it that way. It just sort of happened that way.

sparx35
October 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM
you just got through reading all of these posts...
yea light i do that,i think it helps a more controlled release of air ,also i read that some people don't fully exhale properly when swimming so therefore don't intake as much fresh oxygen on the next breathe in...i now fully exhale to a point that i really need the intake before i get it,this is dangerous to people who are new to swimming for obvious reasons.

sparx35
October 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM
your english,living in uk,find 1 extra minute to spare,so go on united states masters swimming forum to cram in some extra..........wwwwhhhhhhhhooooooooooohhhhhh

sparx35
October 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM
or when you feel urged to reply 3 times to a "you know you're a swimmer when"discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark in MD
October 26th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Hey Sparx35!

It's not that You Know THAT You're a Swimmer, it's you know that you're now addicted. :D

Cheers! From this side of the Atlantic.

cinc3100
October 26th, 2003, 11:56 PM
You know your a swimmer when you swim a meet in 2002 and the last meet you swam was in 1977 and the first meet was in a 50 meter pool.

Conniekat8
October 27th, 2003, 12:03 AM
You spend more time with your coach and teammates than your boyfriend.

Light
October 27th, 2003, 02:53 PM
i know this might sound crazy, but...

you know your're a swimmer, and a swimming addict, when during one of those sleepless, toss-and-turn nights, lying on your back and facing the ceiling, images of "the perfect stroke" comes to your mind, and you just HAVE TO test it by actually performing the stroke in the air, over and over again...

...maybe I should seek some professional help? :P

Light
October 27th, 2003, 02:55 PM
before I head off to the psychiatrist, here's another one...

you know you're a swimmer when you dream of FINALLY being able to hold onto water, so much that you feel like you're pushing yourself through jello, or pulling yourself along the carpet... :P

oh, the guys with the straight jackets are here... be back momentarily... ;P

laineybug
October 27th, 2003, 03:38 PM
you know you are a swimmer when you go to an age group swim meet even though you don't know any child who is swimming, because you just want to watch some races.

sparx35
October 28th, 2003, 02:59 PM
hey light i do strokes whilst sitting in the recliner chair.....yip.....yippp......yip!!!!!(white coats are all around)

Laurie
October 28th, 2003, 06:42 PM
You know you have become a swimmer when.... none of your old dresses or blouses fit because your back has expanded, and you have trouble shopping for new ones that fit.

snorkel
October 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM
you know you're a swimmer when... you realize all of your friends are your team mates and you've never seen them with clothes on.:D

tjburk
October 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Snorkel.....in some instances that could be a bad thing!:D

tjburk
October 30th, 2003, 07:15 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you still believe the old myth that chlorine turns your hair green!:rolleyes:

mattson
October 30th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by tjburk
You know you are a swimmer when you still believe the old myth that chlorine turns your hair green!:rolleyes:

Pardon? I remember in high school, where my jet-black hair became bleached, with the tips having a greenish tinge. :eek:

jdut
October 31st, 2003, 09:55 AM
You also know you're a swimmer/coach when your kids think people wearing goggles look normal (and recognize babysitters by their strokes), and your 3 year old wears a swim cap to Bertucci's (restaurant) and other places and thinks it's quite acceptable dinner attire!

James
October 31st, 2003, 10:46 AM
You know that you are a swimmer when you are a man and you have to tie up all of your underwear;)

Matt S
October 31st, 2003, 03:49 PM
...when you check this forum daily and average a couple of posts a week.

sparx35
October 31st, 2003, 04:17 PM
when.......well you just know!

JC_FLY
October 31st, 2003, 06:03 PM
You know your a swimmer when you...SWIM!
lol

tjfrech
November 4th, 2003, 09:01 AM
. . . you forget what a q-tip is for since you never have to use them.

. . . as a teenager you looked at men in swim trunks and wondered what was wrong with them.

. . . you have family pictures in which your brother has a checkerboard mohawk and you can't understand why people don't get it.

. . . you (later in life) have no idea what size swim suit to purchase for casual wear because they don't come in 34's.

. . . you go to Florida and don't see anything except the pool and your bed.

. . . your friends tell you they swim and once you see them in the water you just have to tell them they can't.

. . . you leave teaching to work in parks and rec. just so that you can be around pools again (that's what I did!)

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swimr4life
November 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
WHEN YOU ARE HOPELESSLY ADDICTED TO THE "SWIMMERS HIGH" YOU GET AFTER A TOUGH WORKOUT AND FEEL REALLY YUCKY ON DAYS YOU DON'T SWIM!

Jim Moriarty
November 10th, 2003, 11:14 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you set up your start at the end of the pool that has the timeclock even though everyone else starts at the other end because it's closer to the whirlpool. Then when you swim outside where there is no timeclock, you wear your watch.

dpflyer
November 12th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by tjburk
You know you are a swimmer when you still believe the old myth that chlorine turns your hair green!

You know you're a swimmer when you come home from swimming and your daughters ask you, "Dad, why is your hair green?" And, that's when I started wearing a cap.

dulfin
December 7th, 2003, 06:35 PM

You own enough suits (practice or racing) and goggles to keep the entire neighborhood in speedos.

Oh yeah and the only towels you own are beach towels.

Woohoo - keep swimming!

grandmamaria
December 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you like the smell of chloriene better than Channel # 5.

grandmamaria
December 8th, 2003, 11:06 AM
You know you are a swimmer when you like the smell of chloriene better than Channel # 5.

grandmamaria
December 8th, 2003, 11:08 AM
I forgot this one.
You know you are a swimmer when your 5 year old grandaughter tells everybody, ( at the mall, at the supermarket checkout, at family reunions) that she wants to swim like her grandma!!!!

rafa
December 9th, 2003, 11:22 AM
you know you are a swimmer when you get up at 4:30am to go to the Colonies Zone Meet in the middle of a snow storm!!!!

bobatwork
December 9th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Cogito, nay I know I am a swimmer because:

(1) I used to walk down long halls at work backwards practicing my backstroke arm
movements, only when no one was there. I now do it even when people are there.

(2) I use a Speedo lap counter to count the number
of trips I make around the company parking
lot on my twice a day exercise walks.

Lexa
December 13th, 2003, 01:27 AM
ha ha ha 1) made me laugh, Bob...I wonder if anyone has seen me practice the finishihg flick of the freestyle pull at work...

bckstrker
December 14th, 2003, 08:47 PM
....when the imprints the goggles leave have become permanent:cool: :eek:

shipleywm
December 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM
If whenever you hear an electronic beep, you instinctively jump, you might be a swimmer.

If you have rings around your eyes unrelated to the amount you sleep you got, you might be a swimmer.

If you have been wearing the same pair of Lycra underwear for the past two weeks, you might be a swimmer.

If waking up before dawn to exercise seems normal, you might be a swimmer. (you might also be crazy)

If bugs die of chlorine poisoning when they land on your skin, you might be a swimmer.

If you sport long, curling hair with split ends on your legs, you might be a swimmer.

If the phrase "This set with fins" is better than hearing "You just won $1000," you might be a swimmer.

If you answer, "I don't need to" when someone asks when you showered last, you might be a swimmer.

If you love a good lightning storm when you have outdoor practice, you might be a swimmer.

When you learn how to squirt water 15 different ways, you might be a swimmer.

When your long term goal is to slap your bicep on your lat, you might be a swimmer.

When you wake up before six for the free doughnuts, you might be a swimmer.

When you go through so much latex in one season you could wallpaper your room, you might be a swimmer.

If a friend asks how a certain guy dresses and you reply, "I only see him without his clothes on" you might be a swimmer.

If your friends have stopped asking you about your plans for the evenings, you might be a swimmer.

If you go from store to store desperately trying to find your favorite sports drink, you might be a swimmer.

If the first place you go when you're stressed out is a swimming pool, you might be a swimmer.

If your heroes are Janet, Jenny, or Amanda, or you know who I'm talking about, you might be a swimmer.

If your daily apparel is held together by knots or is torn and see through, you might be a swimmer.

If you have an inhaler in every color of the rainbow, you might be a swimmer.

If the phrase, "50 double armed backstroke with a breast stroke kick makes you happier than anything, you might be a swimmer.

If you are determined, strong, smart and tough, you might be a swimmer.

If being fish-like is a compliment, you might be a swimmer.

If your friends don't even call you anymore because they know that you have no time to do anything, you might be a swimmer.

If your nightmares consist of a series of numbers ending in 0 or 5, you might be a swimmer.

If you have hickeys on your neck, you might be a swimmer or you might be lucky.

If you sweat chlorine even after showering, you might be a swimmer.

If you just don't understand the charm of the swim suit edition, you might be a swimmer.

If getting smacked on the butt doesn't bother you at all, you might be a swimmer.

If your screenname has something to do with water or the pool, you might be a swimmer.

If someone asks if you have any siblings and you start listing teammates, you might be a swimmer.

If you cut yourself every time you shave, because you only do it 3 or 4 times a year and are out of practice, you might be a female swimmer.

ljlete
April 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I wanted to let any newbees pipe in if they hadn't seen the fun here. So ...

You know your a swimmer when whenever you get your hair cut, the person asks what kine of cheap shampoo you use because your hair is a mess.

Leo

PS. It also give me a chance to possibly be the first and the last on this thread!

aquageek
April 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by shipleywm

If you have been wearing the same pair of Lycra underwear for the past two weeks, you might be a swimmer.

Or, you might need to buy a new pair of drawers.

Tom Ellison
April 27th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Heck, I've forgot my utrawl at 5 AM while going out the door to workout more then I care to remember....and my back up Speedo in my swim bag, with holes in it, always worked well as my utrawl for the day....
The heck with the Calvins...my old Speedo worked fine....gosh, it even kept my voice even all day......

2go+h20
April 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM
When on holiday, you browse the perfume counters looking for "Eau d'Chlorine" as your skin just doesn't smell right.

SWinkleblech
April 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM
When your gym bag consist of four pairs of goggles, five swim caps, four bathing suits, three towels, and lots of lotion.

Mark in MD
April 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SWinkleblech
When your gym bag consist of four pairs of goggles, five swim caps, four bathing suits, three towels, and lots of lotion. My wife asks me how much stuff I need for swimming? I tell her never enough!
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
... my back up Speedo in my swim bag, with holes in it ...Now there's something better left to the imagination. Tom using a holy Speedo! :D

Lexa
April 28th, 2004, 10:49 PM

your students complain that the classroom always smells like bleach...and the floor is carpeted, so the janitors don't mop with bleach.

your first period students wonder why your hair is usually wet.

Tom Ellison
April 29th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Hey Mark, the holes in my Speedo really do not present much of a problem….not having a whole lot to put in the darn thing…..:(

Conniekat8
April 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
When running out of dry and clean towels is a bigger problem then running out of clean underwear ;)

Sonic Swimmer78
June 29th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I decided I'd bump this thread 'cause it sounded fun when I read it.

Okay...

1. You get angry for not finding any swimming articles in the sports section of your local Newspaper. (Arrgh, Football always seems to have more articles than I'd like!!)

2. You sleep with your speedo on for the next morning's meet!

3. You tell your barber, "I'd like it short, REAL short!"

4. You find yourself doing breaststroke arm motions at work when you're all alone. (Happens to me all the time)

5. You get angry with the TV weather man for forcasting electrical storms in your area.

6. Paying for your USMS membership is more important than paying bills.

7. You have a favorite lane in the pool (mine's always and will be Lane 5, no matter where I go swim. YAY LANE 5!!!)

8. The Olympic Swimming Events on TV have more meaning to you than the Superbowl.

9. (Applies to the one above) You invite all your friends or teammates to your house to watch the Olympic Swimming Events on TV and have an Olympic Swim Party!

10. Lycra becomes a fashion statement and body shavings become frequent.

jean sterling
June 29th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Swimmer78

1. You get angry for not finding any swimming articles in the sports section of your local Newspaper. (Arrgh, Football always seems to have more articles than I'd like!!)

3. You tell your barber, "I'd like it short, REAL short!"

I think football is highly over-rated and boring - I'd rather watch soccer. Actually, I'd rather watch nothing but go to the pool and swim or go run or DO something.

I also liked what you tell your barber. I tell my hair stylist the same thing. When you get your hair cut does your barber complain about the chlorine in your hair?

Sonic Swimmer78
June 29th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yes, Football is overrated and too commercial that it makes me sick. My barber doesn't complain about it because he doesn't care.

It's a shame we hardly ever see swimming events on TV, it makes me want to flame.

I WANT MY SWIM TV!!! :p

Mark in MD
June 29th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Looks like Sonic Swimmer 78 is already hooked on us!
RE: have a favorite lane in the pool (mine's always and will be Lane 5, no matter where I go swim. YAY LANE 5!!!)What do you do if there's a four-lane pool?

Sonic Swimmer78
June 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
That's a good question, Mark! What would I do if there was a four lane pool? ...Swim! Swim and don't get out until it's closing time!!! Now THAT'S when you know you're a swimmer! ...When the Aquatic Center Staff pulls you out of the pool because it's closing time :sobs:

laineybug
June 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
1. when you start telling your non swimming friends, the dates of the olympic swimming trials, whom to watch for and why.

2) when you arrange for your grandchildren to practice with the local swim team while they are visiting you during the summer and you get up three hours earlier than usual to get them to the practice!

laineybug
June 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM
...When the Aquatic Center Staff pulls you out of the pool because it's closing time :sobs:

That has happenned to me too... just me, one lone guard sitting in his chair, walking around straightening up or looking at his watch (praying for a clap of thunder or a 'speedy' warm down which ever comes first)... and a beautiful sunset to swim into and out of.

londoner62
June 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
........................'When your dinner has gone cold because you could not stop reading this forum and relating to every truth'

Sonic Swimmer78
June 30th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Amen to that! You know when you're a swimmer when you grow impaitient after waiting a while to receive your USMS # and Membership Card.

gull
July 1st, 2004, 06:06 PM
...you get up at 4 am to drive 30 miles to the nearest 50 meter pool so you can train longcourse before going to work.

Having an outdoor 50 meter pool entirely to yourself at daybreak--priceless.

Sonic Swimmer78
July 1st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Having the pool all to yourself IS priceless, gull80! Truely one of natures marvels...

Scansy
August 3rd, 2004, 02:02 AM
...you get home from an 11 day vacation and the first thing you do is check this web page for new posts...

pettijohn
August 3rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
...you get home from a vacation and the first thing you do is go to the pool for a swim...

Guvnah
August 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM

7. You have a favorite lane in the pool (mine's always and will be Lane 5, no matter where I go swim. YAY LANE 5!!!)

Yeah, well then don't come visiting MY pool! :) :) :)

Actually, I figured out why lane 5 is MY lane. With poor eyesight, I have a tough time seeing the pace clock. In my pool the clock is on the wall by lane 6. I don't like swimming on the wall, so lane 5 is the closest non-wall lane to the clock.

So when I visit other pools, I tend to migrate to lane 2 or lane 5 based on the position of the pace clock. And DAMN THEM if they don't have one, or don't have it running!

Mark in MD
October 27th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Thought I'd bring an oldie but goodie to the forefront. :D

laineybug
October 27th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Your gym locker becomes your underwear drawer.

Seagurl51
October 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Im glad that someone brought this back up for all us newbies to read!! Having said that...

You know you're a swimmer when you walk into classes with bright red marks under your eyes and on your forehead, soaking wet, and giving off a strange smell and can't understand why people are looking at you kinda funny.

~Kyra

Seagurl51
October 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you schedule your studying time around your swimming.

Seagurl51
October 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you have pruney fingers all the time..not just after a bath.

~Kyra

Seagurl51
October 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
You know you're a swimmer when the word "butterfly" brings up images of sore shoulders, grueling (for some) exercise, and Ian Crocker as compared to the delicate little insect.

blairbecky
October 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM
you tape pictures of swimmers to your computer at work and talk about them like you really personally know them.
you talk about swimming so much at work that people start making swimming motions everytime they see you.
you work third shift and swim before work, get off work and swim again, then just give up sleep altogether and swim early that afternoon. (I've done that many a friday...i work sun. thru thur.)

newmastersswimmer
October 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Your hair has a brighter golden shine than any of your wife's jewlry.

newmastersswimmer

p.s. I hope this isn't a rip off of someone else's earlier posting?......There are so many postings under this thread that it is impossible to know??

Suncrazy24
October 29th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by joy
U know ur a swimmer when--------the scented lotion or perfume u use after showering, doesn't cover up the chlorine smell from practice and ur friends tell u that u smell like chlorine.

This is a good one! =)~

Leonard Jansen
November 2nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
You know you are a swimmer when your spouse says "Take your marks... set...." as foreplay.

-LBJ

Tom Ellison
November 2nd, 2004, 09:43 AM
What's foreplay?

old dog
November 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
... you've been to the edge and come back to swimming...

swimr4life
November 3rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
This one came to me last night because I actually did this!.....

You know you are a swimmer when you use a swim cap as a shower cap!!

msgrupp
November 3rd, 2004, 10:07 AM
than the little old ladies doing water aerobics (after their hair salon appointment) who insist upon wearing shower caps in the pool instead of swim caps!

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 3rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
I just gopt in trouble because I added too much bleach and ruined the "good towels" that only company can use.

There are two ladies, who I've known my entire life becasue I went to the same church (one was even my fourth grade sunday school teacher) complain everyday that I splash them. One told me that when I was 5 yrs old, she knew that I was an evil, mean child. I'm so glad I proved her right.

jean sterling
November 3rd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by msgrupp
than the little old ladies doing water aerobics (after their hair salon appointment) who insist upon wearing shower caps in the pool instead of swim caps!

One of the aerobic ladies told me that she had to "go straight to the beauty parlor" if her hair got wet.

I would shave my head and get a wig before I would be such a slave to my hair. Admittedly their hair does look better than my overly chlorinated tresses, but what a price to pay.

November 11th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by joy

This is so true!!! How about 12 hours later still smelling the chlorine on your skin when you apply lotion?

You know your a swimmer when you spend more money on swim suits then you do shoes...(girls)

You know your a swimmer if you have green hair....or your hair dye changes color

Sonic Swimmer78
November 11th, 2004, 03:22 AM
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! I LOVE MASTERS!!! AND I LOVE LONG-COURSES!!! WOOOO!!!

You know you're a swimmer when you're as overly enthusiastic about it as much as I am! :LOL:

You know you're a swimming musician when all you do is play songs on your guitar and sing about swimming!

YAY SWIMMING!!!

You know you're DEFINITELY a Swimmer when you post a new reply in this wonderful thread at 1:20 a.m.!

"Let me count the ways I love thee!

Lane 1, Lane 2, Lane 3, Lane 4, Lane 5 Lane 6, Lane 7, Lane 8...

Starting Blocks so true and white, you make my day so bright, LET'S COMPETE TONIGHT!!!"

Okay, that's enough enthusiasm for one night!

Sonic + Swimming = VERY GOOD!

November 12th, 2004, 05:50 PM
You know you are a swimmer when you have dreams about water.

You know you are a swimmer when you have never failed to have some sort of swimming job.

You know you are a swimmer when you can talk to yourself or sing underwater and not choke.

You know you are a swimmer when you still have your swim team jacket and bag from childhood years.

You know you are a swimmer when you always notice things wrong with everybody elses stroke and want to correct it....and you just can't help it. (swim instrutor thing i guess)

You know your a swimmer when your childhood dream was to swim in the Olympics.

Seagurl51
November 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by swimmnjenn

You know you are a swimmer when you can talk to yourself or sing underwater and not choke.

You know you are a swimmer when you always notice things wrong with everybody elses stroke and want to correct it....and you just can't help it. (swim instrutor thing i guess)

YaY! I'm not the only person who does this!! You have no idea how good that makes me feel!!

~Kyra

Seagurl51
November 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you use your goggles to keep onion vapers out of your eyes!.....(and because they actually are kinda comfortable)

~Kyra

laineybug
November 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
you know you are a swimmer when you want to watch from under water.

laineybug

laineybug

laineybug
November 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I have no idea how it happenned that it posted three times, but I'm afraid this wonderful thread will go poof if I delete one, or, lol two of them.

November 12th, 2004, 09:16 PM
what do you mean...watch under water?

November 12th, 2004, 09:19 PM
You know you are a swimmer when you love the glass-like stillness of a pool and you are the first to make ripples....the water just seems so smooth at that time

You know you are a swimmer when you push off for the first time and you enter into another world all your own.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Oooohhhh yeah! There's nothing like a flat pool... Being the first one at the pool is a wonderful thing...

...it means I get Lane 5 for myself!

dthalman
November 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM
How's this for being over the top...

Someone at work makes a comment about another woman possessing "bought and paid for" body parts, and you don't understand that she is talking about surgical enhancements because you can't imagine spending money on something that would slow you down in the pool...

The principal walks into your classroom and the 1st grade "exercise leader" is conducting a series of rotator cuff stregthening maneuvers while you follow along with hand weights...

Your husband asks your daughter what mom is doing and she replies, "oh, she's flailing around like a fish out of water in front of the mirror again."

Your idea of a perfect day includes several hours at the gym and then shopping for a new Nike or TYR suit.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 13th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Sweet!

You know you're a swimmer when getting swimming equipment, suits, goggles and bags for Christmas makes you happy and excited.

laineybug
November 13th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Oooohhhh yeah! There's nothing like a flat pool... Being the first one at the pool is a wonderful thing...

...it means I get Lane 5 for myself!

YEAH! Lane 5 is my favorite too!

You know you are a swimmer when you GET SWIM GEAR FOR CHRISTMAS period.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
What makes Lane 5 so special? It seems that most Masters Swimmers prefer Lane 5 over any other lane.

You definitely know you're a swimmer when you have a preferred lane. I know I've said it before, but I couldn't resist. Lane 5 is definitely one of those special lanes.

Seagurl51
November 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you actually give serious debate to saving for a car or going to all the meets you want.

~Kyra

blairbecky
November 14th, 2004, 06:53 PM
You know your a swimmer when the thought of swimming while they are having a b-day party at your pool doesn't faze you a bit even as you dodge the noodles and tidal waves. For some reason the sound of screaming kids doesn't effect me the same way at the pool.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 14th, 2004, 10:41 PM
You know you're a swimmer when swimming on your Birthday is the best gift you can give yourself.

When I turned 26 last month, I did just that. I swam on my birthday.

Mark in MD
November 15th, 2004, 02:03 PM
You know you're a swimmer when swimming on your Birthday is the best gift you can give yourself.

When I turned 26 last month, I did just that. I swam on my birthday.

Doing that today, as a matter of fact. :D

Sonic Swimmer78
November 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Happy Birthday, Mark! ...It's the gift that keeps on giving!

YAY FOR SWIMMING!!!!

Gotta love the enthusiasm I show in this place.

November 15th, 2004, 05:01 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
YOU LOOK LIKE A SWIMMER,
AND YOU SMELL LIKE CHLORINE!

Guvnah
November 15th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Did someone say "Lane 5"?

:) :)

Yardbird
November 15th, 2004, 07:04 PM
You LOOK FORWARD to having birthdays, especially those that make your age end in 0 or 5!

old dog
November 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM
....for the past 6 years, on or near my birthday, I swim my age [say 44] times 100 yards without a break...
I started at a 1:40 min interval; then when I was 49 and 50, it got too easy...I went to a 1:30 interval...got older and better!
You younger Masters could do 200's or more on a challenging
interval! Listening Sonic? :0) arf arf

tjrpatt
November 15th, 2004, 10:32 PM
You know that you are a swimmer you have swimming web sites bookmarked on your web browser.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 16th, 2004, 12:38 AM
You know you're a swimmer when you love the look of the USMS logo. May it never change! I LOVE IT!!!

johnsonpt1
November 16th, 2004, 07:08 AM
when you roll out of bed at 4:30am to go to the pool before work.

when you get to work and the smell of chlorine on your hands makes you smile.

when taking a shower at home seems odd.

when you cut your own hair because you don't have time to go to the barber...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

when you've read every single post in this thread until your eyes are on fire.

....and by the way, thanks shipleywm for putting jeff foxworthy's voice in my head!!!:D

Mark in MD
November 16th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by old dog
....for the past 6 years, on or near my birthday, I swim my age [say 44] times 100 yards without a break...
I started at a 1:40 min interval; then when I was 49 and 50, it got too easy...I went to a 1:30 interval...got older and better!
You younger Masters could do 200's or more on a challenging
interval! Listening Sonic? :0) arf arf

Problem now is that Old Dog can't remember now how the formula works. :D

Thanks, Sonic for the good wishes. And I was in the pool last night. BTW, just remember what you have to look forward to when you are twice your age. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Swimjenn, for the song. My hair care person tell me that she knows me by the chlorine odor. I tell her it's perfume, called Eau d' Swim.

swimshark
November 17th, 2004, 11:13 AM

...someone tells you that smething is 25 yards away and you picture a swimming pool as a measurement.

...you are pregnant, not gaining enough weight so the doctor puts time limits on your swimming and you bargain with her and your family "I'll eat a piece of cheesecake if I can go swim for 30 min"

... the first question you ask your doctor is "can I go back to my normal swim routine?" at each visit.

SwiminONandON
December 5th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I love this thread so.... *bump*

You know you are a swimmer when ... your friends abandon all hope of ever seeing you again

Your friends have actually asked you, "why did you do two workouts today when we planned on going out?"

Your tops become too small (across the back) and your pants become too big.

You stand in front of the bathroom mirror at work and practice your stroke pulls

You have a swimming "journal" which chronicals everywork out.

You are the only 20 something year old you know that doesn't dye her hair, because there is no point.

You know your suit size in speedo, tyr, nike and they are all different.

You'd rather swim a 400 IM than a 400 free (or is that just me).

It's easier to catch your breath if you keep swimming (or swim down EZ) than it is to stand on the side of the pool

You know what EZ, Fl, Fr, BK, BR, IM, K, SW, etc. means

Pullling with paddles delightes you

Pulling in general delights you

Kicking delights you

You smile when you find the quote "Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated", because you finally have a response to your family, friends and co-workers

You are massochistic enough to request to your masters coach that you spend practice working on fly because you are determined to swim those 200 flys in practice without cheating

The sight of 200 fly written on the workout board simply makes you sigh and roll your eyes

Your friend in an attempt to see you agrees to attend a swim practice with you and looks at your swim bag and says what more than a suit do you need ... duh, googles (multiple pairs of course), pull buoy, kick board, 4 or 5 caps (never know when those things will rip), an extra suit, paddles, fins, and all your shower stuff

You shower at home and think, hmmm ... this is weird

Your masters teammates become your family

You have a favorite lane (it's lane four - I swim in a 5 lane pool)

You join a 24 hour gym with a 25 yard pool because your old gym didn't open until 5:30 am and that wasn't early enough, not to mention their 20 yard pool sucks

You don't understand why any health club would build a pool of any length less than 25 yards

You race teammates after practicing for an hour and a half for fun, and because you "owe" them for requesting a fly workout

You re-calculater your race times for those end of practice races, because afterall it was the end of an hour and a half practice, you had a wall start, so that's a minimum of 10 seconds

You write messages here and read them

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Sorry thought of another one ...
When you are measured for a bridesmaid dress and the measurement of your chest is three sizes higher than your waist. So you have to order a dress that is ridduculously big every but the chest and hope that all the swimming you will do in the next seven months + won't increase the size of that back too much!

blairbecky
December 7th, 2004, 11:28 AM
To add on to the whole big back thing. You know you're a swimmer when you don't care that your back is so large. You care more about how your body should be to help you swim better and less about how you look to other people. I have the dreaded really long torso and short legs. Hard to find clothes but great when I'm swimming. :cool:

Seagurl51
February 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM
You know you're a swimmer when you check these boards at halftime to see if there's anything new.

~Kyra

GO EAGLES!!

Karen Duggan
February 7th, 2005, 01:41 AM
You know you're a swimmer when

...you come back with wet hair and your students say, "Did you go swimming again?"

... you get excited looking at meet sheets and meet programs

... you meet the man you'd marry at the pool!

... your Labrador Retriever can swim 100m in 1:37.

... you don't need to look at a thermometer to know the exact temperature of the pool.

... for Christmas you ask for a pool pass.

... you don't need makeup because you're face is already colored with raccoon eyes and racing stripes (goggle straps); lest we forget the racing stripes on our feet from flip flops!

... you can't think of anything else to do in a pool besides workout.

... you can talk about the breast without being embarrassed.

... everything in life tells us to move East, but we can't leave Kerry O'Brien!

Sonic Swimmer78
February 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM
you know you're a swimmer when:

You wait anxiously for the UPS Delivery Truck to arrive with your Speedo USMS Swimmer's Backpack that you ordered from Kast-a-Way Swimwear. (I haven't gotten mine yet)

You lose your cool (and sometimes the happy) when you receive an e-mail from a teammate saying that the meet you were looking forward to attending was cancelled, due to complications.

You post in this fabulous thread during your work shift at the radio studio.

You're glad that football season ended yesterday. (FINALLY!!)

You look forward to Intense Summer Training

You're happy when Swimming Season is here!

SwiminONandON
February 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
You gleefully think only one more month until taper ...
You decide that there are not enough meets this year and start planning one ...

susanehr
February 9th, 2005, 10:15 AM
You can't understand why people think placing a pull bouy betwen your legs is obscene. With a bit of a southern accent someone thought I said pool boy, but they still didn't understand what I was talking about.

Guvnah
February 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by susanehr
You can't understand why people think placing a pull bouy betwen your legs is obscene. With a bit of a southern accent someone thought I said pool boy, but they still didn't understand what I was talking about.

Yabbut ... Maybe the pool boy WANTS to be your pull buoy! :) :eek: :)

Karen Duggan
February 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Guvnah,
Are you going to Nationals? I'd love to meet you! Granted, I wouldn't think of warming up in YOUR lane, but I would love to meet you. :p

Kari
February 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM
You LOOK FORWARD to having birthdays, especially those that make your age end in 0 or 5!

Unless you're turning 40 like me and heading into that "dreaded" 40-44 age group! (I don't know what it is about these fast women in their 40's... ;)

I LOVE swimming on my birthday!

Here's mine: you know you're a swimmer when you make that hour or so at the pool everyday your #1 priority (i.e., I've been known to have an "appointment", requiring me to leave work for at least 90 minutes...!)

Kari
February 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah....after reading most of the threads in this forum, I came up with this one:

You know you're a (female) swimmer when instead of "fantasizing" about breast implants, your mind kind of wanders off (yeah, I know...kinda sick!) and wonders feet and hands implants are possible....

Kari
("cursed" with tiny hands and feet, though my kick ain't bad):p

mbriones
February 19th, 2005, 10:34 PM
It's February and there is a pair of zoomers in the front seat of your car...and they are used often.

swimmieAvsFan
February 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
couldn't sum it up any better than shipley:

Originally posted by shipleywm

If a friend asks how a certain guy dresses and you reply, "I only see him without his clothes on" you might be a swimmer.

If you go from store to store desperately trying to find your favorite sports drink, you might be a swimmer.

If the first place you go when you're stressed out is a swimming pool, you might be a swimmer.

If you sweat chlorine even after showering, you might be a swimmer.

If your screenname has something to do with water or the pool, you might be a swimmer.

If you cut yourself every time you shave, because you only do it 3 or 4 times a year and are out of practice, you might be a female swimmer.

and my own additions to shipley's:

you know you've been swimming for a long long time when your friends and family don't even blink twice when you say "I only see him without his clothes on"... :D

if you sweat chlorine even after showering multiple times , you might be a swimmer...

and if every single screenname you've ever had has something to do with water or the pool, you might be a swimmer...

chicocat
February 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM
This thread is great......
Looking forward to the new additions.

I'm thinking.......

chicocat
February 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM
This thread is great......
Looking forward to the new additions.

I'm thinking.......

tjrpatt
February 20th, 2005, 11:17 PM
you get excited to see your name in your age groups Top Ten list.

you are counting down the days til Long course season.

Karen Duggan
February 26th, 2005, 02:00 AM

...driving past a car dealership your kids say, "Mama, why do they have backstroke flags hanging there?"

Maryyyyyy
February 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
3 girlfriends give you perfume for Christmas, and they all sponteneously choose the same one:

OCEANUS

Ian
February 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
You know when you are a (self-coached) swimmer, when your wife and son hear you talking to yourself and they know it is just the coach talking to you.

tjrpatt
February 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
when you check the swimming sites for workouts and when you do 3000 yards by yourself.

Kae1
February 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
You want to start competing, but are going to wait until after your next birthday (in a couple months), so you don't have to compete against the just-out-of-college swimmers.

The smell of chlorine perks you up

You start thinking that $200 for a suit that only gets worn for competition sounds "reasonable"

You own 8 swimsuits, but only have one old ratty one that you'd ever wear to a "pool party"

Kae

Seagurl51
March 23rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
you consider swim suit season to be a year-round thing.

~Kyra

tjrpatt
March 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
swimming in a long course pool gives you a natural high!!!

Lakespray
March 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
when @ a swim meet your swim buddy starts poking you in the ribs and laughing out loud when he observes the the womens relay being formed up contains your current girlfriend and the two previous girlfriends.:eek:

jswim
March 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
quote:
You know you are a swimmer when somebody else makes plans that screw up your regularly scheduled endorphin time and
THEY end up having a bad day too.

ahhh yes.. i second that ;)

chicocat
April 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM
When you are lying on the pool deck and the humm of the pool filter is so relaxing puts you to sleep.

shoalsswimmer
April 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM
What about when you miss your morning workout with the team, go to the Y that afternoon, after work, on a Friday (while everyone else is planning where to eat out and consume adult beverages) catch a big endorphin buzz - go meet your family for dinner sporting goggle squeeze (racoon eyes) and feel great!

Best part of my day today!

tjrpatt
April 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
you know where to go to get swim suits.

mbriones
April 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I'll 1-up that - you know where to get swimsuits - in January!

Sonic Swimmer78
April 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
You know you're a (visually impaired) swimmer when sleeping in on an early morning workout day seems odd because you don't have a ride to the pool that day.

I hope that never happens again. I missed out on a workout yesteday because of that and it feels just so strange waking up at 9:00 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time when I usually get up three hours earlier to go swimming.

You know you're a swimmer when a long-course is something you think of on days you don't go swimming.

This was submitted by a friend

You know you're a swimmer when going to the Y's BATH WATER WARM Pool sounds nasty.

Words couldn't be any more true! The Downtown Y where I live has a pool that fits this description a little too well. :Yuck!:

Karen Duggan
April 18th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Tom and Marian,

When you realize that you're going to the beach and the only suit you have is a workout suit or a tuxedo (competition suit)! I don't own a "casual" swimsuit...

new:

when washing children's hair in the tub and they hate the soap near their eyes and they say, "Mom, can I wear your goggles, I can't find mine." And you get them out of the car for them :p

Scansy
April 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
Tom and Marian,

When you realize that you're going to the beach and the only suit you have is a workout suit or a tuxedo (competition suit)! I don't own a "casual" swimsuit...

new:

when washing children's hair in the tub and they hate the soap near their eyes and they say, "Mom, can I wear your goggles, I can't find mine." And you get them out of the car for them :p

Keeping with the googles - you know you're a swimmer when you don't lend your goggles to your kids because of how much you paid for them.

Hink
April 18th, 2005, 09:31 PM
You know you're a swimmer when, in the middle of January in Northern California, it's cold and raining hard and you go to the outdoor pool and it's just you and the lifeguard.

Karen Duggan
April 19th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I would like to add to the N. California:

You know you're a swimmer when it's January and you're swimming in an outdoor pool and you can see the snow covered Mt. Diablo not too far away! BRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

(I don't know of any indoor pools in the East Bay that are used for competition)

mbriones
April 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
More on N. California...it's raining, and cold and you can't see once you get in the water because of all of the steam rising off it!

jswim
April 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM
you know you're a swimmer when.....

the Chlorine escaping from your skin and hair nudges you awake at night after an evening swim!
LOL! :p

I couldn't believe how strong the smell was... perhaps they just shocked the pool..

geochuck
May 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
You know you are a swimmer.
If you feel you can swim like this... http://www.swim-city.com/galleries/graphics/fun/fun84.gif you surely can swim.

tjrpatt
May 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
When a two hour drive is not that far to get to a long course meet.

laineybug
May 22nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
when a two hour drive isn't too far to go to time at your granddaughter's meet.

SwiminONandON
May 23rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
When you think, yeah I'll drive five hours for a long course meet ... mini vacay!

Sonic Swimmer78
May 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
ROAD TRIP!!! :p

You know you're a swimmer when you take pictures of the pools you've swam in with your digital camera.

I took some pictures of a long-course that I swim in on Saturdays.

Alex
May 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
When you have a Screensaer with the picture of your family taken at your master team pool, and have the Event Calendar for your next meet on your tack board at your office.

You know you are a Swimming family, when you go to your two sons meets the same day at different facilities and then you and your wife go to your master team pool to practice as part of a romantic night.:D

Conniekat8
May 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
When you look at your date's big feet and rather than the usual, you think...
If I have a kid with this guy, he/she might be a really good kicker!

Scansy
May 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
When you look at your date's big feet and rather than the usual, you think...
If I have a kid with this guy, he/she might be a really good kicker!

OK, but what's the usual?:eek:

Conniekat8
May 25th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Scansy
OK, but what's the usual?:eek:

Oh my, what big feet you have!
What else?
What were you thinking?

Scansy
May 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
Oh my, what big feet you have!
What else?
What were you thinking?

Big.....

Ears!;)

SwiminONandON
May 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
You are a woman and think, I wish I had bigger feet ...

Scansy
May 27th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Michael Heather
...when you look forward to workout for some "alone" time.

Amen to that.

ALM
October 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I was getting kind of bored with the current threads, so I thought I'd resurrect an "oldie but goodie".....

... you put on your swim goggles to chop onions.

F'ueco
October 26th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Good idea...

You know you are a swimmer when you own more than 3 suits and 5 pairs of goggles.

YKYAASW you swim best in 61 degree water.

YKYAASW you like being in the water during hailstorms.

YKYAASW you'd rather see a woman wearing a racing suit than a bikini.

YKYAASW you suffer all day at work, and then get in the pool for 4400 yards of pure unaduterated fun.

YKYAASW after dislocating your shoulder, you swim one-armed butterfly and freestyle to stay in shape (that's also how I got good at butterfly back in the day).

Hawaiiwoman
October 27th, 2005, 02:15 AM
You know you are a swimmer when: YOU THINK THAT PUTTING ON YOUR RACING SUIT SHOULD BE AN EVENT AT NATIONALS:D

dorothyrde
October 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I don't wear a racing suit, because I am just not good enough to invest in that. But your post made me laugh, because at the Indy Nationals a while back, I went into the lockerroom, and two women were comparing their bruises from trying to get in and out of those suits!

sanwin
November 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM
You know you are a swimmer, when your hair is a pretty shade of green and you don't mind

Sonic Swimmer78
November 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM
You Know You're a Swimmer When....

Your bedroom starts to smell like chlorine, even though the floor is carpeted.

The smell of chlorine brings you more joy than the smell of freshly baked cookies.

James
November 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
You Know You're a Swimmer When....
The smell of chlorine brings you more joy than the smell of freshly baked cookies.

I love swimming as much as the next person but come on, more joy than fresh bakes cookies!!! For me, it would depend on the cookie. For me,nothing better than hot chocolate chip.

jean sterling
November 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by James
I love swimming as much as the next person but come on, more joy than fresh bakes cookies!!! For me, it would depend on the cookie. For me,nothing better than hot chocolate chip.

Chlorine is a nostalgic smell for me - reminds me of the indoor pools I swam in as a youth. However, there is nothing like the smell of baking chocolate chip cookies! Ooh, but you shouldn't have brought that up - now I'm humgry!