PDA

View Full Version : SwiMP3

rituarte
November 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Has anybody bought the SwiMP3 player? I want to buy it but would like to get some feedback from anybody that has tried one. Here is a link

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/swimp3.html

EyeoreSAM
November 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I ordered it about two months ago (version 2) and it is supposed to be shipped this week. I'll let you know how it is if it ever gets here!!

newmastersswimmer
November 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I know this sounds like I made it up....but just yesterday while I was swimming at my local YMCA I suggested to the lifegaurd (who is a good friend of mine and who was playing music loudly from a jam box on the pool deck) that we should invent and patent a device just like this (since the technology is already available).....she said yaeh we will be rich!....Oh well, everytime you get a good idea you find out that somebody else has beat you to the punch!

newmastersswimmer

November 9th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Well...I have had bad luck with the other water proof radios. I either can't hear the music, bad reception or the ear pieces fall out. Anyway....it sound really neat. I am excited to see if it is worth buying. Let me know. I would be a great thing to get for Christmas.

EyeoreSAM
November 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Well I just emailed Swimman and they said that there has been so much response to this product that they are anticipating shipment around christmas time. So I guess that anybody that wants to order them better do so quickly or else it may not be there for quite some time. I ordered mine in September!

rituarte
November 9th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Suzanne,
I think we are not talking about the same MP3 player. I think you are referring to this one: http://www.swimman.net/pages/859128/index.htm
Which I almost ordered about a year ago but did not like the web site and also the design on the site was totally different from the actual product, I thought that was strange. But who knows it might be cool. The one that I am talking about is this one: http://www.finisinc.com/ by Finis Inc, which just came out this Oct. Anyways thanks for the reply.

Rama

laineybug
November 9th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I've always wondered why someone didn't make a little radio and radio transmitter for swimmers to wear and coaches to use from the deck... then today I see the darn thing in Keifer's

woolamia
December 14th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Just got one and I've tried it out a couple of times and I'm really happy with it.

First thing to say is the sound is really good when the 'bonephones' are in the water, and the conduction thing really seems to work well. It's obvioulsy better for frnt crwl and bck crwl when your head is consistently in the watter than brst stk and fly when the sound quality keeps changing - even then it's still ok.

It doesn't seem to leak noise and irritate everyone around you - which was a big surprise

The main unit fits into your googgle straps and sits onto the back of your head and the earphones sit on your cheek bones. It feels like it would be unstable but I've given it plenty of all four stokes, lots of turns and push-offs and it hasn't moved around yet.

Three big, easy to find buttons do the on/off, volume, skip forwards/backwards plus it does a load of other things (like random play etc. )

The down sides:

it fits by threading your goggle straps through it. It wouldn't fit with Aquaspere masks etc. without changing the straps and woud probably not feel stable with goggles with really thin straps like swedes or Speedo speedsockets (shame cus the color scheme matches my speedsockets exactly) - but it's great with the Lane4 goggles that came in the box

it takes a while to thread onto your goggle straps so you probably wouldn't want to keep changing goggles

it's a bit (actually a lot) bulky and dorky looking so could really do with some slimming down

the battery last 4 hours which isn't much swimming time - but it recharges in 2 hours through a USB port

it's got some really irritating rubber bits that keep falling off (funnily enough it came with some spares so someone must have been expecting that). I've binned mine because they don't seem to do anything - and a tip - if you loose them they float so don't spend 30 mins looking around the bottom of the pool for them.

I'm not sure but I think it only plays MP3 so if all your music is WMA then you'll need to convert - might be wrong there.

Overall - I'm really glad I got one and I'll be using it a lot. If I didn't have one then knowing what I know I'd go buy another.

I'm sure they can make it look cooler but I don't see anything coming along that will work/sound better - unless it's surgically implanted.

swimmer_steph
December 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I'm seriously considering this baby - did anyone get one for XMAS?

CCSR79
December 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I just got the iRiver player with the waterproof case. The case is a bit bigger than I expected, not as tiny as the player, but the headphones are quite nice. It comes with straps for the arms, which I found too bulky or you could hang it from your neck, which is what I'll probably do and hold it onto the back strap of my swimsuit so it's not just floating there. Still have to upload songs into it, so I haven't tested it out, but I'll give updates as soon as I use it! It does look quite good and with a 1GB memory, it fits loads of songs in it -- it costs more than the SwiMP3, but I figured it's more memory for my money -- and I can use it out of the pool!

sdswimmer
December 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I got a SWImp3 for christmas but its broken. After plugging it in to charge the lights flashed a few moments and then went out. I can't get tech support on the phone but by email the sales rep told me to contact the store. I also asked about the little wires that connect the ear pieces i was told they are not replaceable so we'll have to hope they are robust and the wire inside is not of the brittle type.

So now I will return it but I'm undecided about what i'll get. The iriver looks promising and the headset woudl be replaceable the dive version is relaly rated for waterproofness. I'm a little nervous about the FInis one now it seems like a lot of money for something that doens't seem fully worked out yet. If the first one wasn't broken (quality control ??) I would be happily swimming with it.

Anyone else tried out either of these or have any comments?

rituarte
December 28th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I bought one late November and it worked like a charm. But just this week it stopped working for no reason. Luckily I bought it at a local store and was able to return it. I was really disappointed because it worked really well. I will wait until they work all the bugs out till I buy another one.

Rama

Larry
December 29th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I used mine for the first time the other day (yes, it was a Christmas gift). It wasn't perfect, but it worked. My expectations were quite low so I was somewhat pleasantly surprised that I could hear the music pretty well and it did help break up the mundane task of doing 3500 un-coached yards. It was also very easy to set up and operate. Listening to ACDC, Sinatra and Springstein (to name a few) while doing a bunch of 200's was kinda fun. What was interesting was the fact that the music was more clear while underwater so it actually inspired me to do longer streamlines off the turns - I guess you can chalk up at least one technical benefit to the device. I can see using it from time to time on solo workouts but I don't expect to use it for group workouts. I know I looked like a huge dork with it on.

sdswimmer
January 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I've now been using the iriver mp3 with the H2OAudio case for a week (?) I think. It replaced the the DOA Finis SWIMP3

The iriver is easy to download to and has a radio as well, its nice and compact and the vulnerable parts-headset and battery are replaceable. THe sound quality with the earphones adjsuted right is great underwater and I asked folks working otu with em and there seems to eb no noise leakage.

Negatives-if the case leaks the mp3 is not warrantied, since you are supposed to store the case open you need to be careful about closing it properly each time (thats the trade off for consumer servicable I guess). The earphones have to be adjusted just right-correct angle and not too deep in your ear. THey are really mini-speakers with earplugs mounted over them the earplugs direct the sound.

It took some fiddling to get the earphones right and get my cap over them but now it works like a charm and severla otehr folks at the pool are ordering them. So far I've been swimming with it around my neck and tucked into my suit (female) but I want to experminet wiht mounting it to my goggles. THe case is little bit bigger than the finis until but its lighter and floats so I think it would be comfortable once I figure it out. I've used it in flip turns and swimming back and free and my friend tried it for butterfly so far its all good. ALthough ti blocks outt eh obnoxious music the pool pipes in I was able to hear the rain pouring on the roof and people talking to me. Its up to the suer how loud it is at high volumes, I imagine you wouldn't be able to hear over it.

THe H2OAudio folks were very responsive to email so if you have any questions, I suggest emailing them!

mbriones
January 13th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Hmmm....the SwiMP3 is scheduled to arrive at my house tomorrow. I plan to swim a mile (first time!) tomorrow but I doubt it'll be here before then, let alone charged before my noontime swim.

I hope it isn't DOA or doesn't break on me. I already had a finger lap counter break the first time I got into the water with it; I went back to the vendor who cheerfully replaced it with one that DOES work (I dropped it into a glass of water when I received it) and it's very helpful.

Having music during my long swims will be very pleasant.

Keeping my fingers crossed....I'll hang onto my warranty/return information just in case.

Marian

swimmer_steph
January 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mbriones
I hope it isn't DOA or doesn't break on me. I already had a finger lap counter break the first time I got into the water with it; I went back to the vendor who cheerfully replaced it with one that DOES work (I dropped it into a glass of water when I received it) and it's very helpful.

Marian

Best of luck w/the tunes; I'm uber jealous b/c I realllllllllly want one of those babies! :D

You say you use a finger lap counter? I've been seriously thinking about buying one. Do you mind telling me where you purchased it from and how the second one is working for you these days? I always lose count of laps and am thinking this might be my saving grace.

Thanks so much!

Steph

mbriones
January 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I got my finger lap counter from swimtowin.com. It really is helpful. I am in the habit of right after a flip turn I hit it with my thumb. IT has gotten so automatic now, I don't even think about it!

swimmer_steph
January 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Thank you so much. I'm going to give one a try as this is the third positive review I've seen.

Thanks again!

Steph

mbriones
January 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Today was my first day in the water with my SwiMP3. I've got to tell you, it is so cool to be swimming down the lane to my fave tunes! My swimming friends were calling me the gadjet lady because of my lap counter and now this thing. I really like the ear plugs that they put in with it and I'm considering getting a second pair if I can for sleeping. I wear ear plugs at night (my husband snores so loudly, he wakes me up from the other room - yes I'm serious. No one believes me until they go camping with us, after wondering why his tent is 'way over there' and mine is where it is.....night falls and they certainly find out! Anyhow, the bass isn't like what you get from a conventional mp3 player; maybe I am wearing the 'bone phones' incorrectly. I noticed when I did my flip turns and was deeper into the water, the sound amplified.

I asked the swimmer in the lane next to me if she could hear it, and she couldn't, so that's good.

Well, my outdoor '2 years older than dirt' cat is pounding at my back door, so I'd better go feed her....

So my review of the SwiMP3 is favorable thus far!

Marian

Nancy Graham
January 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I've been following this thread with interest .... and now it looks like I need to put this on my things I NEED list!!

Call me another gadget lady....

ohiowaterbaby
January 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Here is my take on listening to music in the water. I attached a file since my comments are too long for this board.

sdswimmer
January 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM
ohiowaterbaby,

I agree with your observations. I think finis has a great concept but tis nto fully developed yet and there is an obvious quality problem with the ones out there, I hope they get it fixed. I love my Iriver/H2Oaudio so far and hope you do too. I am now being sent back to aqua jogging only as i continue my medical journey so i'm happy i didn't pursue finis past the first defective product!