PDA

View Full Version : Breaststroke

jpleech
November 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM
OK, I give up. I'm still fairly new to actually 'working out' while swimming. I've been swimming for a few years now, but just recently started doing intervals. I've been trying to teach myself the breaststroke and seem to have the arm motion down, but am incredibly lame with my kick. When I do my kick sets, it takes me 2-3 minutes to cover 25 yards (I'm not kidding and yes, it is really embarrasing). In fact, I swear I actually move backwards when I bring my legs forward. Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

Thanks, John Leech

Seagurl51
November 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Im not a stellar breaststroker so you may want to see what other people say, but I taught swim lessons for years and this is how we taught the kids. Think of it as Frog-Airplane-Soldier. Bring your legs up to your butt (or as far as you can) (Frog), spread them out like your going to do the splits (Airplane) and then snap them together (Soldier). The key that I've found to going faster is to make sure and snap your legs with some force, and try to bring the up smoothly with out bringing water with you. I hope that this makes sense. Good Luck!!

~Kyra

scyfreestyler
November 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Don't bring your feet so far up towards your back that your knees wind up perpendicular to your torso as this will cause lots of drag. Draw your legs up to "near" your butt, point toes out, push back and slightly down forcefully, then slam your legs together with your feet coming together at the toes. A big part of breaststroke is drag reduction since your recoveries are made under water. GoSwim has some videos and articles on their website that might offer you some assistance. Another option would be the Olympic video clips that somebody posted on here a while ago. Just search for clip and it should come up. Good luck.