PDA

View Full Version : What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Pages : [1] 2

November 9th, 2004, 02:21 PM
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine!

:rolleyes:

newmastersswimmer
November 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Mine has to do with the water temperature at my local YMCA where our master's team holds practices......TOOOOOO HOT!!!!...Usually in excess of 86 degrees!

newmastersswimmer

tjburk
November 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Being interrupted in the middle of a killer set!!!! You're on a roll... someone leans over and asks....is the pool open for swimming? AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! No, MO - we're swimming here because it's closed. :mad: :D

aquageek
November 9th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Great topic - my pet peeve is people who put their sweaty gym socks and shorts in the swimsuit water extractor.

newmastersswimmer
November 9th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Being interrupted in the middle of a killer set!!!! You're on a roll... someone leans over and asks....is the pool open for swimming? AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! No, MO - we're swimming here because it's closed.

That's funny!!.....It reminds me of a famous quote by Einstein that goes something like this....."The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits"

newmastersswimmer

p.s. I have to deal with some of the most rediculuously brainless comments you can imagine on almost a daily basis.....Not to complain about my job...b/c I love my job....The other day I passsed back a graded exam...and a student asked me..."do the check marks mean I got those questions correct"....I answered "yaeh and the "x-marks" with the point deductions right next to them means that you got those wrong"....and I get questions like...."How are we suppose to know where your office is anyway?" half way into the semester...and I answer "Well let's see, ...There's the syllabus which is available online (so you can always print up as many copies as you like), ...theres the big Marquise on the wall of the first floor in plain view when you walk in the front door to our building that has all of the teacher's office numbers on it, ...you can call the main office of our department or stop by and ask the secretary,.... you can ask me before or after class, ....or you can simply walk the halls in our tiney building checking each office door at random untill you eventually stumble across mine....that would take all of about 2 or 3 minutes since it's a small two story building"...ect...ect...

scolopax
November 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Great topic - my pet peeve is people who put their sweaty gym socks and shorts in the swimsuit water extractor.

I hate this as well; it is so gross

how about unsynchronized clocks? We have one at each end of the pool and they are only off by about 5 seconds. I didn't notice for a while, thought maybe one way was uphill or something when the even 75s were :50 and the odds took a minute!

Leonard Jansen
November 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
1) Kids swimming across the lap lanes without looking first and the lifeguards doing nothing about it. A real problem at the outdoor pool where I swim in the summer.

2) People who hock really large wads of *spit* into the gutter. Especially when they have colds.

-LBJ

dcarson
November 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM
- people that hock large wads of spit in the pool (don't even go for the gutter)
- people who think they should always have their own lane and act like you are infringing upon them for making them adhere to circle swimming when the pool is crowded
- people who don't rinse off before getting in the pool
- people who hang out in a lap lane to flounder and not swim when the pool I swim at has a large "open" area for non lap swimmers

November 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM
HAHAHAHAH! I love all your responses! I absolutley think it is gross when people hock in the pool and out!

And when people with out form make huge waves in the pool....makes me dizzy. Anyway....GREAT PET PEEVES!

EyeoreSAM
November 9th, 2004, 04:13 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when the swimmer in the lane next to you swims right on the lane line and eventually you wind up smashing hands.

Fitswimmer04
November 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM
When people swim in the "wrong" lane! If you are a slow swimmer, please use the slow lane! If you're a fast swimmer, don't get in the "medium" lane and then get annoyed with the "medium" paced swimmers. Isn't it better to circle with 3 people close to your own pace, rather than struggle with 2 that are either slower or faster than you?

newmastersswimmer
November 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM
people that hock large wads of spit in the pool (don't even go for the gutter)

That is not only one of the most vile and disgusting things I have ever heard, it is almost unfathomable to imagine someone doing such a thing!!.....Now I am going to be thinking about that during every lap of my next swim practice....thinking that one of those huge wads of snot/spit is going to get sucked up into my mouth or something....It almost triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it!.......There are apparently NO limits to how crude and disgusting some people can be!!

newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
November 9th, 2004, 05:08 PM
When I get to the pool and someone is in my favorite lane!!

When I'm having an awesome swim. look at the clock and relize that I have to go to biology:( .

When little kids through stuff in your lane right in front of you and then dive in after them.

~Kyra

scyfreestyler
November 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
When I have to choose a shallow lane and the water slide is on. The water is traveling very quickly by the time it reaches the end of the slide and it creates a small whirlpool that makes it difficult to swim in one direction, especially in the shallow end. I guess a turbulent swim is better than no swim.

USMSarah
November 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM
we don't get enough respect... we are like the only athletes who hold their breath while competing... ha!

Seagurl51
November 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
When you see the lifeguards doing arm motions, for, I don't, butterfly let's say, and talking and then you realize that you are the only person in the pool doing butterfly.

~Kyra

November 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Your right! Swimmers rarely get respect for our sport! My roommate is a mountian bike rider. She came swimming with me on Monday to start cross training. She said, " I give you credit Jenn...this is hard stuff!" It certainly made me feel good that someone noticed that swimming doesn't come easy as some people may think.

SearayPaul
November 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I am too slow and too old

Sonic Swimmer78
November 10th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by swimmnjenn
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine!

:rolleyes:

That's a pet peeve?? Sounds more like a blessing to me. I love that smell and I wish it were permanent.

When I get to the pool and someone is in my favorite lane!!

Ooooohhhhhhh yeah... Whenever someone hogs up Lane 5, I feel the SAME way.

And now for some more original pet peeves:

Inattentive lifeguards: "....Hey, I understand the concept of Circle Swimming, but FIVE people in my lane?? FIVE?? Sombody do something!!"

The Aquatic Center by my house: This applies to the one above also. There are countless pet peeves I encounter at the Aquatic Center by my house. Sadly it's the closest too...

Pet Peeve #1: Over Crowdedness... Anytime after three PM is like a Shopping Mall on Christmas Day! Too many Kids! Where's my Lane!?! I can't swim here! It's too full! "...No wonder they call them the Aqua Posse!"

Pet Peeve #2: Stinky Locker Room... Is it just me, or does it smell like someone prepared a Mexican dish with a lot of cumins here? I love Mexican food, but Teenage Funk is just GROSS!

Pet Peeve #3: The (Female) Swimmer next to you who thinks she owns the place and thinks she's better than you. "...Who died and made you queen of the pool?" Arrogance will not be tolerated.

Pet Peeve #4: When the guys in the locker room OVERUSE the poor water extractor. VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -- *click whirrrrrrrrrrr, sputter, sputter* (puffs of smoke come out of it)

Pet Peeve #5: Ooooooh this always gets my goat! Fluctuating pool times!!! ARRGH!!!! One weekend, opening time is from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Lap Swim ends at 2:00*) then the week after it's something like 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Lap Swim ends at... WHAT?!?! ...11:00.) Justice! Justice! Justice! WHY MUST WE ENDURE SO MUCH DISRESPECT!?!?!?

We're people too!!!

...and lastly (not about the Aquatic Center anymore) when you have a hankering for a midnight swim, but find out the pool isn't open at that hour.

"...guess I'm a little too enthusiastic!"

Scansy
November 10th, 2004, 07:15 AM
How about the guy at my pool who has terrible form - he strokes only from about the top of his head to his chest, in very wide strokes. It is impossible to swim in the same lane as him. But his endurance is very good so he uses the lane for a looooong time every morning. His stroke is so bad, that I actually counted him doing 32 strokes per 25 yard length. He works real hard, and probably has pretty good cardio endurance. But he is impossible to share a lane with.

How about goggles that fog up.

How about lane lines that aren't tight enough and keep moving back and forth making lanes wider and narrower over and over again.

How about days when my stroke doesn't feel right and I am really struggling for some unknow reason. (Some may argue that my stroke being "off" is the norm!:D )

How about days when life keeps me from getting to the pool...... this is my biggest pet peave of all!

tjburk
November 10th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I definitely agree with that last one Paul...You're sitting in a meeting, your written work-out is calling your name from your car, and some MORON keeps asking STUPID questions. Dragging out a 30-45 min meeting for an hour and a half. The next meeting I go to, I am bringing a ball gag like the one in Pulp Fiction and I will put it on the first person that opens their mouth when asked if there are any questions!!!!!!!:D

justforfun
November 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM
When there is an "environmental accident" (aka, some kid pooped or threw up in the pool) and the pool is closed for 24 hours while they superchlorinate.

SWinkleblech
November 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM
When I come out of work all ready to hit the pool and my van won't start. (like it did last Friday). Three hours later I finally get home and I never did see the pool.

When I am in the middle of a great workout and someone cuts across the lap lane, never looking to see if I am coming, and I have to stop swimming to let them go across.

Guvnah
November 10th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Lost of great peeves that rang my bell!

Whoever is peeved about other people in his/her lane # 5: That's me. That's MY lane. It's because it's near the pace clock. (Lane 6 is the wall lane, and I do NOT swim on the wall except as a last resort.)

If people cross my lane, I swim into them or over them. Size has its priveleges. If I collide with someone, chances are that I'm not the one who will get hurt. (I'm 6'6", 240 lbs or so, and I'm moving at a pretty good clip -- 1:20-1:25/100yds. 1:05-1:10 if I'm sprinting. Stay out of my way! I also displace a lot of water, so I can churn up a rather healthy wake. That's a problem for someone else to get peeved about.)

Wanna swim in lane 5? Expect to share with me. And expect to eat my wake! I especially enjoy passing a really slow swimmer who is on his/her back. Hope they're not taking a deep breath when my wake passes over them!

If someone stops me to ask if I mind that they share (see "don't talk to me" below) I just say "go ahead" and I keep swimming, but I think to myself that the real question they should be asking themselves is if they will mind sharing with ME!

Whoever complained about people who hug the lane line: that's also me. At my pool we split the lane unless more than 12 show up, and then we start circling. If no one is sharing my lane, I do not swim in the middle. I swim on the lane line that's closest to the clock. If I swim in the middle, it seems that when someone eventually enters my lane to share, they always want the side nearest the clock. That's MY side of MY lane! So I don't do the middle. I stake out MY side right from the get-go.

(BTW, I've been swimming in that lane for 15 years, first thing in the morning, six days a week, and most regulars know it's my preferred lane, and most don't want to share my wake, so it is generally the 12th person in the pool who has to share with me. Most times we don't get to 12, so I get my own lane. For some reason new people are attracted to lane 5 if they get out there before I do. Maybe because it's empty because everyone else stays out of there! Most move within a lap or two after I join them to share the lane.)

One of my peeves is the "floating cadaver". This guy swims on his back, elementary backstroke, so slowly that it takes him about 2 minutes per length. He used to try to get lane 5 before I got out there. And then he would ask me not to share with him. I had the lifeguard explain our pool's lane etiquette. If there are no empty lanes, then a swimmer is entitled to share in any lane in the pool. (We don't have slow/med/fast.)

If someone is in lane 5 and there is an empty lane, I will take my time on the deck until one more swimmer shows up to get into the last empty lane. Then pool etiquette allows me to share with whomever is in lane 5. (Which takes us back to a few paragraphs above...)

I also am peeved at the "manatees." These are usually elderly, rotund ladies who wallow, float, walk, but rarely expend a calorie of meaningful workout energy. They just take up good real estate. And they complain when my flip turn gets their hair wet.

I'm not sure if this is a peeve or a source of self worth: Some swimmers of lesser capability will time their push-off (after a lengthy rest) to coincide with mine, and then pretend that they can keep up with me. (Or push off a few seconds ahead of me and try to beat me to the next wall...) Oh, maybe with their most frantic effort they can last one length... I'm 300 yards into a 500yd set, they are fresh, and they think it's some sort of accomplishment to keep up with me for 25 yards. It's an honor to be considered some sort of standard to attain! (But it's a bother to swim next to their thrashing. It's distracting.)

Similarly, there is the type of swimmer that is 10 seconds slower. As I come up behind them to lap them, they suddenly try to pick up their pace to hold me off. If I pick it up, they start sprinting. They're gonna hurt themselves! Maybe they can hold me off for a length or two, but as soon as I break ahead of them, they fall off like an autumn leaf, and 3 minutes later we're back to the same game when it's time to lap them again. (People on the highways do this too...)

And then there is the "chugger". He also does elementary backstroke, only his stroke and kick extend into my side of the lane (or under the lane line into my lane if he is in lane 6.) He takes these huge, long strokes (chug, ... chug, ... chug.) He properly stays to his half of the lane, but he just goes so wide on his stroke. (His sidestroke is similar, but not quite as bad.) I've swum over him a few times without injury to either of us, but I'm just worried that one momemt of harmonic convergence will place his foot in the same space as my head some day. Usually he sticks to the other side of the pool. He prefers his own lane too.

Another peeve: DON'T TRY TO TALK TO ME!!! I can't hear you over the echo/din of the pool area. Nor over the radio that's always playing. I have ear plugs in my ears. I have a cap on. And I really don't have the time or the energy to waste on chat. Catch me in the locker room if you have to talk. (But not in the shower. I can't hear over the running water there.)

BTW: I have the utmost respect for the person who shares my lane and stays until the end of their workout. Even more so if they turn out to be faster and stronger than I am.

aquageek
November 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Guvnah:

Have you considered anger management courses?

Fishgrrl
November 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I really only have one pet peeve and it is this: when someone INSISTS on letting you go ahead of them on a set, knowing full well they are faster, and then they are right on your ass for the entire repeat! I hate, hate, hate that. There is one person in particular who immediately comes to mind.....

OR - they don't give you the general five seconds before pushing off (they wait just one or two) and then they ride your toes the rest of the way.

OK...here's another pet peeve....

Sometimes, if a workout is particularly crowded, a faster person might get stuck in a slower lane. It's up to the coach to move everyone around, but sometimes that doesn't happen and the faster person (in my opinion) should acquiesce to the rest of the lane's interval. This has happened to me and in my mind I think..."OK, it's a 'work on my technique' day" because I can't expect the other 4 people to keep my pace. OR - if I get stuck in a faster lane that's just too fast for me (it's happened several times) I either cut my yardage down in order to keep up or sit out every other repeat or whatever.

But I guess my main peeve is the "go ahead of me so I can ride your ass" folks.

Oh yeah - and I hate it when people stick around in the lane after a workout and chit chat for 15 minutes while I try to avoid running into them while doing a flip turn.

Grrrrr....:mad:

newmastersswimmer
November 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Similarly, there is the type of swimmer that is 10 seconds slower. As I come up behind them to lap them, they suddenly try to pick up their pace to hold me off. If I pick it up, they start sprinting. They're gonna hurt themselves! Maybe they can hold me off for a length or two, but as soon as I break ahead of them, they fall off like an autumn leaf, and 3 minutes later we're back to the same game when it's time to lap them again. (People on the highways do this too...)

Yes, that is an interesting phenomenon about people....If you've already lapped them on several occassions then it seems that they would stop this kind of routine eventually....but many do not....very strange but none-the-less fairly common behavior

OR - they don't give you the general five seconds before pushing off (they wait just one or two) and then they ride your toes the rest of the way.

Ah yes....the "drafters".....This can also be compared to highway behavior (like Guvnah pointed out about his pet peeve that I quoted above)......I have drafted behind 18 wheelers on long trips before thinking that it would save me a little gas in the long run.....I don't do that anymore b/c I am older (and perhaps a little wiser and realize the potential danger in doing this).
Everybody wants to draft off of somebody to make them do all of the work.....Well at least if someone is drafting off of you than your getting a little extra workout by dragging them along while also dragging yourself along too!....But yes, I hate that as well!!....(See Justforfun's first poem on the poetry thread where he also refers to this annoyance).

newmastersswimmer

Fishgrrl
November 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I actually don't mind someone drafting (I do it too once in a while)! But it's when I know they are faster - they are just being lazy!! Come on, guys - step up to the plate!

Here's another one I just thought of:

Coach gives the set and no one wants to go first! So everyone discusses who's going first, etc., while the other lanes are swimming the set! I've been guilty of this too... this is when a "lane boss" comes in handy...

There's one gal I swim with when I swim in the morning and she's kind of a "lane boss" - not annoying at all but if I wear paddles or fins I have really reassure her that I won't blow her out on a long set! If I'm the only one wearing pool toys, then I have to be considerate of my lane mates and their pace. Sometimes I'll even do an extra 50 or so so that we're all on the same page, or I'll alternate kick/swim.

Scansy
November 10th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Guvnah, are you sure you like lane 5?

justforfun
November 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Here's one:
Warming up at a USA Swimming meet in a packed pool of age groupers who seem to think the entire "warm up" is to be done at maximum effort from beginning to end. Imagine the whitewater produced by the flailing arms and legs of 20 or so kids per lane.

(Similar experiences can be had at bigger Masters meets like Nationals--but hopefully most have learned by then the finer points of warming up at less than race pace).

Sonic Swimmer78
November 10th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
Guvnah, are you sure you like lane 5?

Touché... I too have feelings for Lane 5, but if I ever swim at Guvnah's pool, I'll just go on days he's not swimming... I don't mind sharing lanes, but Guvnah has given me the impression that he's not willing to share with a moderatly slow to medium swimmer like myself. I like Lane 5 mainly for two reasons, No. 1: I've always liked the number 5 (don't know why, maybe it's psychological) ever since I can remember... No. 2: I absolutely abhore the shallow lane and I don't particularly care for lanes closest to the pool's wall since I'm legally blind. Guvnah, I think I'll just use your lane on days you're not swimming... I respect swimmers. ...another pet peeve of mine. LACK OF RESPECT! Both from amateurs, floaters, "Manatees" and aqua aerobes... AND the Friggin media! Not enough Swim TV in the States either... a shame too.

Ooohhh, here's another (quirk?) pet peeve of mine. ...When the pool staff HARDLY ever update their pool calender!!!

"...Kids! How would you like to swim like a pro? ....Come learn from the best: The YMCA is now hosting the Olympic Swim Academy! Space is limited, so CALL TODAY!

Session 1 April 19 - May 26 (extended 6 week class)
Session 2 June 7 - July 1
Session 3 July 5 - July 29
Session 4 Aug. 2 - Aug. 26"

...Three months AFTER the final session is over and that DAMN flyer is STILL posted on that plastic bulletin!!!

"Here, let me do you and the pool staff a favor!" *Angrily yanks cette laminated flyer with the advertisement above off of the bulletin*

Sorry, but not updating the pool bulletin and/or calender of events is just annoying... especially if the event ended THREE MONTHS AGO!

Guvnah
November 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Guvnah:

Have you considered anger management courses?

Swimming is my anger management. It helps me blow off steam.

Just stay out of my way! :)

dorothyrde
November 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Pet Peeve, people who think they own a lane in a pool :)

Seriously Guvnah, I am slightly slower than you, but we would get along in lane 5 fine together. I too like lane 5 because of the pace clock and because I don't like being right next to the wall(bigger swimmers tend to push me right into it!)

There are people though who think they have a right to a lane, and it is an open swim, that means anyone can hop in to an open lane. It is not "owned" by anyone.

a peeve is anyone not willing to circle swim. When I come in, they are afraid to circle with me because they know what kind of work-out I do. I spent 10 minutes one day explaining to a woman that she did not need to worry about me being faster, I would look out for her. She finally allowed me in the lane and was fine after that.

jim clemmons
November 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
From SS78:

Both from amateurs, floaters, "Manatees" and aqua aerobes...

Hope you're not referring to any specific Manatee that I may know.

Jim
MAM (Manatee Aquatic Masters):p

Sonic Swimmer78
November 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I think I was referring to one of Guvnah's posts... "Manatee" = Over-Weight (Female) Aqua Aerobe.

Sorry for the Mixup!

Seriously Guvnah, I am slightly slower than you, but we would get along in lane 5 fine together. I too like lane 5 because of the pace clock and because I don't like being right next to the wall

Lane 5 must definitely be a favorite to Masters Swimmers everywhere!

I too feel the same way, mainly because of my sight impairment.

"...Do I detect a hint of Lane 5 Envy??" "IT'S MY LANE!!! MY LANE YOU HEAR ME!!!! MIIIIIIIIIINNNNNEEE!!!!!" :LOL: :p

*Imagines swimming together with Guvnah and Dorothyrde in the same pool...*

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!! :p

Scansy
November 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Swimmer78

*Imagines swimming together with Guvnah and Dorothyrde in the same pool...*

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!! :p

Ha, that's nothing compared to the all time worst pairing of lane mates

1) a swamp dwelling, clown suit wearing aquageek
2) a VO2max challenged, late blooming, you know who
3) a shampoo wearing guy named Ralph with a moose on his back

I'd rather swim with a school of hungry great whites while I had bloody nose:p

November 10th, 2004, 11:57 PM
What about the swimmers who wear the snorkel and blow the remaining snokel water out into the pool....and they swim FOREVER. I would get so bored looking at the bottom of the pool the whole time!

Sonic Swimmer78
November 11th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Oh, oh, here's a good one! What about Scuba Divers?? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

They come in, in their neoprene wetsuits, HUGE masks, ...that's right, MASKS, (I hardly call 'em goggles if they're HUGE) and snorkels...

"...Ooh, we're snorkeling... IN A POOL!" Who does that?! I'd understand if it were at a reef where colorful fish dwell... But a Pool?!!

*Speaks in Jacques Gusteau Accent* "Ah yes, wee see ze raire femaile swimmaire in hair beautiful black, red and orange Speedo, swimming ze majestic breaststroke.... Du not get too close, or she'll see you and zen slap you."

GIMMIE A BREAK!!! Snorkeling is for tourists who want to see fish in reefs, not female swimmers in skin tight Speedo's! Oy!

dorothyrde
November 11th, 2004, 06:05 AM
You guys DO crack me up. To get up and read this at 5am, very funny!!

I have recently(August) began swimming the early morning shift this year from having swum in the peacefulness of 10 am before.
There is a man Guvnah size without Guvnah's speed that I seem to have intruded on his space! There are still open lanes so he gets to swim too, but I am there earlier and have taken "his" lane. It has taken 3 months, but he now greets me with a good morning and something of a smile!

A lane is a lane, I have seen no names on them.:cool:

jim clemmons
November 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Prior post from SS78:

I think I was referring to one of Guvnah's posts... "Manatee" = Over-Weight (Female) Aqua Aerobe.

I figured as much, just didn't have much else to do at the time so thought I'd give you a hard time.

You should meet some of our female Manatees sometime. They certainly don't qualify for the "discription" above.

Jim

Sonic Swimmer78
November 11th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Let's hope not for all our sakes...

Seriously though, if it's one thing that REALLY annoys the hell out of me is a Faux pas, Phoney, Overweight Aqua Aerobe who thinks she's "Working out and burning carbs or calories"

"...I'm trying to tone up and lose weight" *strolls down the full length of the shallow lane with buoyant and not so heavy aqua weights*

"...DO YOU THINK I SWIM LAPS FOR FUN?!" ...okay, that was dumb, but I burn twice, if not THRICE as much calories and carbs as you! If you're gonna workout, SWIM SOME FRIGGIN LAPS LADY!!!

...The shower cap instead of a swim cap thing was over the top!

Much better than the little old ladies doing water aerobics (after their hair salon appointment) who insist upon wearing shower caps in the pool instead of swim caps!

- msgrupp

I agree with Jean Sterling (Quoted from the "You Know You're a Swimmer..." thread). I'd rather shave myself bald then nervously worry about my hair getting wet or harmed by pool chemicals.

One of the aerobic ladies told me that she had to "go straight to the beauty parlor" if her hair got wet. I would shave my head and get a wig before I would be such a slave to my hair. Admittedly their hair does look better than my overly chlorinated tresses, but what a price to pay.

- Jean Sterling

swimshark
November 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Sonic reminded me of one.

How about the swimmers who put their cap on with the seam (fold) going from ear to ear rather than down the middle from forehead to neck?! Cracks me up every time :D

Guvnah
November 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Touché... I too have feelings for Lane 5, but if I ever swim at Guvnah's pool, I'll just go on days he's not swimming... I don't mind sharing lanes, but Guvnah has given me the impression that he's not willing to share with a moderatly slow to medium swimmer like myself.

Looks like some clarification on my part is in order.

Notice that I ended my post with respect for anyone willing to share with me.

Here's how it works at my pool: We have 6 lanes. First 6 people are expected each to take their own lane. If more than 6 show up, then we start sharing -- one person to each side of the lane. Only if there are more than 12 do we ever start circling.

Someone "takes my lane" if I get out there and there are 5 or fewer in the pool, and someone is in lane 5. Etiquette dictates that I have to swim in another lane. Pet peeve has occurred.

As I mentioned in my post, if only one lane is empty, at these times I might linger on the deck and see if someone else is gonna come. If they do, I gladly cede the last open lane, and then the lane etiquette dictates that we start sharing. With all lanes equal, I get to go in "my" lane #5!

Who doesn't prefer his/her own lane? I didn't mean to indicate that I look to kick out the person I'm going to share with. I don't swim any differently whether someone is sharing with me or not. But since I am one of the more aggressive (and largest) swimmers at my pool, most people prefer to move if they have to share with me, and of course I have no problem with that. Again, if someone wants to stick with me in that lane, I have respect for him/her.

On a recent occasion I arrived at the pool and there were exactly 6 people in there. I attempted to share lane 5, but the lady who was there (a wetsuit/snorkel person, as it turned out) asked me to go to another lane. Counter to my preferences and to my usual take-no-prisoners nature, I just moved to lane 4. (The guy in lane 4 later asked me why I didn't go in lane 5. He knows I always go in 5, so he chose another lane when he got in.) When she was later finished her workout and was getting out of the pool, I moved back to 5 and started up a brief chat with her. I told her that next time, if all things were the same as today, I definitely WOULD get in lane 5, even if she asked me not to. All lanes are NOT the same to me, and there is a definite advantage/beneft for me in lane 5. She tried to make the case that I didn't own lane 5. I told her I wasn't looking to kick her out. I was perfectly willing to share with her, and apparently she was the one not willing to share with me.

No, Sonic, please do not fear sharing with me. I will not kick you out, and you can decide if you want to share with me. Even if you AND Scansy are in there, I will not kick anyone out since etiquette dictates that I share another lane in that case. (If I'm the 13th person, they you and Scansy will be circling with me though, and you will have to decide if that's OK with you.)

dorothyrde
November 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM
At least your pool is divided into 6 lanes and allows 12 people to easily swim side by side.

My Y divides the 6 lane pool into 3 large lanes. That means 9 people swim without circle swimming. And the middle person of the 3 has to swim without benefit of the black line or a lane line to guide them, talk about a colision hazard. Then if you have to circle swim, you have to circle the whole thing which adds bunches to you swim. The only good thing about it is it makes it easy to pass and I usually ending up swimming circles in the middle of the outter circle(does that even make sense?).

I have suggested to the Y to use all the lane lines and therefore utilize the pool better. They say people don't like it and will complain<sigh>. I say try it, change it and then people would get used to it.

I dropped my teen son off to swim laps one day and came back to see him swimming with 4 in a lane not circle swimming and at first thought he had "broken" the rules and would be in trouble. Then I realized Nadine had jumped in with him and the two of them had devised their own little circle swim without benefit of lane lines and were able to get a good work-out together without worry of upsetting other slower swimmers.

Guvnah, I have a fellow Master swimmer who told me that her favorite lane was lane 4, but she did not make a big deal about not getting it. However, if I knew she was coming and there were other lanes open, I made sure I did not take "her" lane out of respect for her wishes. The lady should never of told you to move, if she cannot deal with her fellow swimmers, SHE should have moved.

I have learned to time my breathing when passing the big fellow that swims next to me in the morning. You guys DO make a big wake!!

emmett
November 11th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by swimshark
Sonic reminded me of one.

How about the swimmers who put their cap on with the seam (fold) going from ear to ear rather than down the middle from forehead to neck?! Cracks me up every time :D

How about people who call it a swimming "hat"? (generally the same ones that wear it like a goofball as well)

Scansy
November 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
No, Sonic, please do not fear sharing with me. I will not kick you out, and you can decide if you want to share with me. Even if you AND Scansy are in there, I will not kick anyone out since etiquette dictates that I share another lane in that case. (If I'm the 13th person, they you and Scansy will be circling with me though, and you will have to decide if that's OK with you.)

HA! There was a previous discussion about butterfly (probably almost a year ago) in which it was revealed that my fly looks like those really fast race boats when they wreck - flipping, turning, rotating, splashing, generally making a big mess! Maybe if we shared, you would only be the second biggest wake in the lane!:D

LindsayNB
November 11th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
My Y divides the 6 lane pool into 3 large lanes. ... Then if you have to circle swim, you have to circle the whole thing which adds bunches to you swim.

Most of our workouts we only have three "double" lanes, we swim out along the lane lines and back in the middle, and that works well. In fact, even when we have all the lane lines set up we swim with alternating lanes rotating in opposite directions so that you are always swimming in the same direction as the person swimming in the adjacent lane. I find this works a lot better than all lanes rotating in the same direction where people on both sides are always going in the opposite direction.

As for pet peeves, the "you go first (so I can draft off you)" is my favorite.

Guvnah
November 11th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LindsayNB
Most of our workouts we only have three "double" lanes, we swim out along the lane lines and back in the middle, and that works well.

If a pool is going to set up circle swimming, this is actually a better way to do it, in my opinion. There is room down the middle for two or even three (tight) abreast, and that makes for easy passing if necessary, at least for that half of the lap.

USMSarah
November 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM
At the old pool that I used to manage, the water aerobics ladies would complain that they were getting splashed by lap swimmers... they would get mad because their hair would get wet! UM... YOU ARE IN A POOL, it's WATER, you will get WET!

Oh, that stresses me out just thinking about that.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 11th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Aqua Aerobes are snobs of the pool... I can't sand them altogether.

Another pet peeve: Swimming in City Pools or the at the Y! Its an absolutely dreadful experience for the Swimmer.

"...but I'm a swimmer too!"

"No, I'M a Swimmer, you're just a petty Pool-Goer IN MY WAY!!!"

Here's another good one: Whiney (Mainly Female, sorry ladies) Swimmers.

*Whine* "...I Don' Wanna geddin! It's Too Coooolllllldddd!"

HoosierGirl
November 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Oh, oh, here's a good one! What about Scuba Divers?? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm guilty of snorkeling laps on occasion. It's the easiest way to keep my legs in shape for scuba diving. Scuba fins work your muscles differently and there's nothing quite like snorkeling laps in big scuba fins to stay in shape for dive trips.

jean sterling
November 12th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by USMSarah
At the old pool that I used to manage, the water aerobics ladies would complain that they were getting splashed by lap swimmers... they would get mad because their hair would get wet! UM... YOU ARE IN A POOL, it's WATER, you will get WET!

This is especially annoying when the aerobes lean on the lane line so that they are taking up half the swimming lane. Try circle swimming in half a lane - and then have an aerobe ask you to move over.

Edward The Head
November 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I've got a couple.

The first is the people who do flip turns on the same side you are swimming up. Even being a couple of seconds behind thye are still on my side of the lap when I get ready for my turn.

The second is when there are a lot of people at practice and they keep the interval the same, so a 200 is still on 3 minutes. Well by the time I'm coming back they are already starting the next 200. So slowly I get further and further back because there are 5-6 people in the lane.

I also don't like it when they change how long the interval is going to be, especially when I haven't come in yet. This has happened enough in the last couple of months that I don't swim at night any more.

Fishgrrl
November 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM
YES! those people who do flip turns on your side of the lane!! There's one gal in particular who comes to mind...I love swimming with her except when she leads - she flips right into the midddle the lane and I have to duck under her so we don't crash! Grrrrr......

SWinkleblech
November 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM
We have one lap lane to swim in. There are not a whole lot of lap swimmers so most of the time it is not a big deal. We don't circle swim we just stay on either side of the lane. It doesn't work if a third swimmer comes in. Then that swimmer has to either wait or work around any lessons or what ever is going on on the other side of the pool. Although I am not fast I am one of the fastest lap swimmers at our pool. A lot of times some of the swimmers who know me well will move over for me. I like the side where the lane line is. I hate it when I get stuck on the wall side.

A year ago, during Thanksgiving vacation I went swimming early. The lap lane was taken up by some private lessons(which should have not happened) Another lap swimmer was swimming by the lane line, so I came in and swam next to him. Some regulars who just kind of float along were there and started to get upset that we were doing laps on their side of the pool( they had 2/3 of the pool). One of the ladies started to purposly get in my way. Let's just say she got cobblered when I was doing my backstroke. I was totally peeved at this point and a shouting match started. I was pretty much told that I didn't belong there. Sorry ladies I pay to use the pool, too. Well Thanksgiving is coming soon. Might want to go for another early swim.

Scansy
November 12th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Wow, I don't realize how good I have it I guess.

My Y has at least 2 lanes open at all times - except from 3:00 to 6:00 pm when the swim teams (high school and then age groupers) take up the whole pool. In the morning, there are 4 lanes until 9:00. Most of the day there is 3 lanes. Saturdays and Sundays are 2 lanes from noon until about 8:00 during the winter when the outdoor pool is closed - and the other four lanes are "open" swim. The funny part is that I NEVER have to circle swim. About half the time, I split a lane with someon, the rest of the time I have a lane to myself. In reality, they could go with less lap lanes..... but please don't tell!:eek:

November 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Hey everyone! Great pet peeves!

I want to say something concerning the "overweight" ladies. I'm
overweight myself. I am thankful that my weight doesn't stop me from my love of swimming. But there are some very heavy women that come and water walk in the morning.....and all I can say is that I am actually proud of them for stepping out of their comfort zone...into a swimsuit and at least walking. Plus...water walking is easier on the joints. It may seem they are not working hard (some might not be) but I give them credit for doing something! And since I am overweight myself...can we stop referring to overweight people as a manatee?

I do agree that the ladies with the perfectly done hair bouncing in the water and talking about their husbands....that is annoying!

scyfreestyler
November 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM
And since I am overweight myself...can we stop referring to overweight people as a manatee?
I was wondering when that might become an issue. As long as people don't actually block my lane I don't care if they are skinny like me or have a 50" waist. I agree, the overweight people should be respected for stepping out on the pool deck, often times in a Speedo brief. I don't think I would ever be able to do that if I were in their shoes.

November 12th, 2004, 06:00 PM
yeah...I am not offended in any way by the comment...it doesn't affect my view of myself....I just know that our comments can become too negative about others.

Ok....if someone is overweight they need to pick the correct suit for them.....a bikini or a speedo might not be the best option.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Naw... You're cool, swimmnjenn. It's the snobby aqua aerobes I can't stand... Especially those who just got out of the beauty parlor and had their hair (and nails) done.

"...Young man, would you PLEASE stop splashing so much!?"

"Yes, MOTHER!"

*Old Aqua Aerobe is speechless and leaves the Sonic alone*

Yes, I'm a young man in his twenties, but when someone addresses me that way, I feel like they're talking not to a man in his mid twenties, but a child no older than eight.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Naw... You're cool, swimmnjenn. It's the snobby aqua aerobes I can't stand... Especially those who just got out of the beauty parlor and had their hair (and nails) done.

"...Young man, would you PLEASE stop splashing so much!?"

"Yes, MOTHER!"

*Old Aqua Aerobe is speechless and leaves the Sonic alone*

Yes, I'm a young man in his twenties, but when someone addresses me that way, I feel like they're talking not to a man in his mid twenties, but a child no older than eight.

laineybug
November 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Oh, oh, here's a good one! What about Scuba Divers??

Oh Sonic... our pool actually offers scuba diving lessons, and they are hanging out on the bottom of the pool as we swim laps on top. It isn't so bad when they are on the bottom in 12 feet of water, it is actually kinda interesting to watch them. But they 'harass' us by swimming directly below us, releasing a lot of bubbles on us, etc. Then they have the nerve to complain when they get kicked in the head (by accident of course). Hey, if you don't want to get hurt, 1) stay in the deep end... four feet of water isn't deep enough for two swimmers and since you have the equipment that allows you to breathe underwater, stay down there. 2)don't swim right under us.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 13th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I know! I actually was referring to those Scuba Divers who aren't taking a class, though.

You have to admit, I do a mean Jacques Gusteau, though! :LOL:

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM
1. People who stand at the end of the lanes. I swim with a guy who only does about 6oo yds a night. Yet he is in the lane for about 1 hour. he stands more than anyone I've ever seeen. I drives me crazy. I've asked the guards to say somehting to him & they won't. I try not to splash him to myuch when I trun.

2. People with long hair that do not tie it back. I am really surprised that guards let this happen. when I guarded it was such a big issue.

3. The women who do water exercises who don't want to get splashed. They're in a pool! Some of these women I've know all my life. One lady was a sunday school teacher of mine when I WAS IN THE SECOND GRADE. SHE ONCE TOLD MY MOTHER THAT I WAS AN EVIL CHILD. EVERYTIME I SPASH HER, I am grateful that I prove her to have been a great predicter of the future. I'm in my forties & I still get the "young man please"line. they;'ve even gone to the Y's E.D. to complain.

jean sterling
November 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
1. I try not to splash him to myuch when I trun.

Maybe you shouldn't be so polite. :-)

Sonic Swimmer78
November 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Geez! some folks need to lighten the hell up! I hate it when I get that "Young man, please" look too, and I'm only 26.... It happens more than I'd like it to, too.

It's true, if you're in a pool you will get splashed. It's WATER, not battery acid. *Screams* "AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! MY EYES! MY EYES!!!!!!"

It's really irksome when the Aqua Aerobes think they're the next best thing since sliced bread. I'm sorry, but they're not pool royalty, even though I do tend to call them "Pool Queens", it's much nicer than Guvnah's term, "Manatee".

SWinkleblech
November 15th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I really do think those aqua arobic queens are jealous of those of us who can actually get somewhere while in the water.

Dennis Tesch
November 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
One thing that tends to drive me a little crazy are swimmers in your lane that cheat to stay up with the lead swimmer. I mean what is it about human nature to have the need to cheat. It was fun to try and cheat when you were a kid to get away with it, but being a masters, what is the point?

The second biggest pet peeve about swimming is dealing with pool management that barely have the brain power to fog a mirror. What is it about recreation centers that hire people that know nothing about swimming, time management, business, and/or have no people skills.

laineybug
November 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SWinkleblech
I really do think those aqua arobic queens are jealous of those of us who can actually get somewhere while in the water.

I can assure you they aren't. I know many a water aerobic queen, and will time my workout so that I use the class as a warm down. Many of the women and MEN in the class at our pool have arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, to name a few of their disabilities... they do good getting themselves there.

One of my pet peeves is masters swimmers who look down on others.

jim clemmons
November 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Absolutely.

We ought to keep it to "cold temp" or "forgot my towel" etc., but not make unkind remarks about those "trying" to make a concerted effort to do "something" about their condition.

Whatever that something or condition may be...........

Kind of takes me to that other thread/poll about masters swimmers being "better" achievers (or not). Perhaps only better at pointing out negatives? Come on.

If you can't say something positive, keep yer yap shut.

November 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah.....When I started this thread I wanted it to be humorous. But it is human nature to start talking bad about others and let our pride get in the way.

If we are talking about the pet peeve of people with long hair and they don't put it up....that is ok......but no name calling of anything of the sort or downsizing.

Keep swimmn~~~~~swimmnjenn

Guvnah
November 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
And since I am overweight myself...can we stop referring to overweight people as a manatee?

Well since I was the one who introduced the term here, I ought to address this.

Check out my post. It isn't that they are overweight that makes them a manatee (and it's not just ladies, BTW). It's their profound lack of movement.

I burn more calories in the shower than they do in the pool.

Having said that, I appreciate your offense, Jenn, and will refrain from further using the term.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 15th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Okay... I too am guilty of using the term "Manatee" because I too thought it was in referance to overweight people.

This is why it's best to specify what one's saying. If you meant floaters, that's fine because it refers to the discription you just posted, Guvnah.

With that being said, Masters isn't about how fast you can swim or who is the ultimate best, it's about us sharing our fondness and love for swimming. I agree with Laineybug, I too can't stand a Masters Swimmer who thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. It makes me sick to no end when I see a swimmer prancing about at the pool deck and saying they're the greatest.

Again, I apologize for venting out a little too much and I apologize for sort of adding gasoline to the woodburning flames, swimmnjenn, are we still friends?

If we have a pet peeve that's either WAY too personal or somewhat prejudice toward others, then keep it to yourself. Scuba Divers in the pool or Unintelligent Pool Staffers are okay. So let's shape up for all our sakes.

Sonic

Dave60625
November 15th, 2004, 09:37 PM
These are things that I pretty much do to myself. But they totally peeve me off!

When I do a flip turn and then end up pretty much on top of the lane line. It totally interferes with my stroke and annoys me to no end.

If I am doing a drill like side glide balance and am sharing a lane, sometimes I will end up *right* on the lane line. I'll eventually push myself more towards the center of the line but it is really annoying when I first realize I am swimming into the line and killing what little momentum I have going.

tjrpatt
November 15th, 2004, 10:15 PM
My pet peeve are slackers. In my age groups years, there would be alot of people at the beginning of practice and by the end, half the team would be in the locker room for the last hour of a 2 hour practice hanging out.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 16th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Pitiful, just pitiful...

Why hang out in the locker room and do nothing?? I love swimming! Oh, but for every enthused swimmer, there's that one swimmer who feels obligated to show up, but doesn't do any of the drills with any interest or self-drive. Has anyone here seen this?

Y'know what I'm talking about...

They come to the pool, a mess sometomes; literally DRAGGING themselves to the pool deck and not even slightly enthused with the day's workout.

If it's one thing Sonic can't stand, it's a lazy swimmer. If you didn't feel like swimming today, then why did you show up??

"...because I have to??" No, it was because you feel obligated and don't want to upset the coach or anyone else.

Swimming is all about attitude; if you come to the pool with a positive, enthused attitude, you're going to have one hell of a good swim. If you come uninterested, lacking enthusiasm, and the exact opposite of what I mentioned, you're going to ruin the enthused swimmer's experience. ...In otherwords, NOT GOOD.

SWinkleblech
November 16th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by laineybug
I can assure you they aren't. I know many a water aerobic queen, and will time my workout so that I use the class as a warm down. Many of the women and MEN in the class at our pool have arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, to name a few of their disabilities... they do good getting themselves there.

This comment was not made towards all aerobic swimmers. If you notice in an earlier thread the problems that I had with some who thought they owned the pool and pretty much out right told me that I did not belong there. The term "aerobic queens" was ment for those who thought they owned the pool and got upset when lap swimmers did laps. That is not looking down on others, but being a little teed off with their attitudes. I know many of women and men who I am great friends with who I have great respect for and I look foward to greeting them as I enter the pool. They don't seem to mind sharing the pool with others.

Fitswimmer04
November 16th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I know what you mean-there's a lady at my pool that does some kind of modified breaststroke in the slow lane without putting her head in the water. She gets annoyed if someone in the lane next to her splashes-it gets her hair wet!! ( I guess a bathing cap would be too simple.) It's good that she comes and exercises, but the swimmers in the next lane have a right to "do their thing" too.

swimlong
November 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
my swimming pet peeves:

my pool (the only one around, besides the ocean, that doesn't entail a $40 ferry ride...) has only one length swimming time on the weekend, and that's at the same time as the soccer team I coach kicks off...

my pool closes for the entire month of August, and all evenings in June and July...

people who stand in the middle of the lane at the wall

when you are 3rd or 4th to send off in an interval, and when you go to finish you can't touch the wall because the others are standing in the way.

when I forget to hang up my bathing suit and have to put it on wet at the next workout

when shampoo leaks all over my gym bag (happens a lot to me...)

people who insist on swimming when they have colds

people who take off just before you turn, even though they know you are way faster than they are

lycra bathing suits only last a few weeks before becoming see through in the bum/chest

jean sterling
November 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Fitswimmer04
I know what you mean-there's a lady at my pool that does some kind of modified breaststroke in the slow lane without putting her head in the water. She gets annoyed if someone in the lane next to her splashes-it gets her hair wet!! ( I guess a bathing cap would be too simple.)

A bathing cap would flatten down her carefully coifed tresses giving her hat hair. :-)

dorothyrde
November 16th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by swimlong
my swimming pet peeves:

people who insist on swimming when they have colds

I guess I get on your good side, haven't been in the water since last week because of this darn cold!!! Course I have been driving......

Guvnah
November 18th, 2004, 03:31 PM

people who take off just before you turn, even though they know you are way faster than they are

Ooooohhh... You hit a sore spot with that one. I'm with you there, swimlong!

Isn't it tempting to grab their heel and pull them back with one of your strokes? Just pull yourself right by them!

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 18th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I do not like the people doing water aerobics. However, If I am swimming with slow peole in the same lane that doesn't bother me. Generally, as long as they keep moving or I can figure out what they're doing, I'm okay.

Seagurl51
November 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
foggy goggles

knelson
November 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Good one. This happens to me, too. It's especially bad when the shampoo gets all over your goggles.

Here's one, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned: pools with lots of dirt and other garbage on the bottom. Or even worse, floating loogies. Yuck!

swimr4life
November 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM
The one and only thing I don't like about swimming!....Dry, itchy skin in the winter due to the chlorine and one too many hot showers!

Sonic Swimmer78
November 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Good one. This happens to me, too. It's especially bad when the shampoo gets all over your goggles.

Here's one, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned: pools with lots of dirt and other garbage on the bottom. Or even worse, floating loogies. Yuck!

Ewwwww!!!! Floating LOOGIES?!?! That's NOT riiiiiiiiight! :LOL:

foggy goggles

- seagurl51

Don't I know it! It's worse when you have aphakia* (I had my crystalline lenses removed from both eyes due to cataracts when I was born)

aphakia* absence of crystalline lens in the eye.

I sure hope I don't get any fogging when I get my new prescription goggles.

November 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM
SWIMR4LIFE......

I totally know what you mean! I hate the chemically dried skin! But you give and you take right?

Scansy
November 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Fitswimmer04
I know what you mean-there's a lady at my pool that does some kind of modified breaststroke in the slow lane without putting her head in the water. She gets annoyed if someone in the lane next to her splashes-it gets her hair wet!! ( I guess a bathing cap would be too simple.) It's good that she comes and exercises, but the swimmers in the next lane have a right to "do their thing" too.

Duh.... I'm in a swimming pool and there is splashing around me. Who would have guessed THAT???!!!???!!!:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Scansy
November 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM

people who take off just before you turn, even though they know you are way faster than they are ......

1. I had that happen once too. It is a real pain. Now, I keep my shampoo in a ziploc bag in my swimming bag. It has opened accidentally, but now stays in the ziploc.

2. Huge pet peeve of mine. Someone who is so worried about their interval that they screw you up! I figure if I am working out alone, I will put off my interval by 5 seconds or so to give me space in the lane.

Scansy
November 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by swimr4life
The one and only thing I don't like about swimming!....Dry, itchy skin in the winter due to the chlorine and one too many hot showers!

I go through gallons of lotion in the winter.....

dorothyrde
November 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Duh.... I'm in a swimming pool and there is splashing around me. Who would have guessed THAT???!!!???!!!:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

I have a friend who doing her work-out and she was on an IM set. She was concentrating on her work-out, the pool was not crowded but there was one of those dry haired ladies next to her.
In the middle of her set, she noticed that everytime she butterflied past this lady, this lady would frown and splash at her with her hands. The lady continued this through her whole IM set. So she and I laugh when we swim next to each other and do the little ewwww and splash at each other!

Sparky
November 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
foggy goggles

Although, to borrow a phrase from Dave Barry, that would make a great name for a rock band.

My pet peeve: Getting to the pool at 6 a.m. and finding it already too crowded, having to wait 30 min. to swim, only to have to leave 30 min. later.

Grrr...

Guvnah
November 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM
Not a top-tier peeve, but a lesser peeve.

Some people who push off the wall to start each length don't push off under water. They do so on the surface. This causes a huge initial wave. That wave sloshes over to ajacent lanes. In itself it's reall no big deal, but sometimes the timing is just right that they take off just as I am coming into the wall for my flip turn, and their wave makes a direct hit just as I am taking that last big breath before the turn... If they had left a second earlier, or a second later, then no problem. If I had been taking that breath to the opposite side, no problem. So there is really a very narrow window where everything comes together just right (or wrong, from my perspective) to be a problem.

Don't they know that the surface-level push off is terribly inefficient anyway?

bckstrker
November 24th, 2004, 09:18 PM
One of my pet peeves: when the pool staff decides to take down and leave down the backstroke flags and nobody knows why. Don't they realize some people swim backstroke?:mad: :confused: grrrr

Bob McAdams
November 28th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Pools that seem never to have considered the fact that adult competitive swimmers need to practice their starts just like kids do.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
OOH I hate those orange Block covers!!! THEY MAKE ME SOOO MAD!!!

I need to learn too darnit!

Guvnah
November 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by bckstrker
One of my pet peeves: when the pool staff decides to take down and leave down the backstroke flags and nobody knows why. Don't they realize some people swim backstroke?:mad: :confused: grrrr

Hint for when there are no backstroke flags.

In most (MOST) pools, the lane lines are a different color the last few yards to the wall. The change in color generally occurs at the same distance from the wall that the backstroke flags would have been.

mbriones
November 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Having to swim in the lane next to "The Abyss" which is the covered deep end. It's downright creepy and I keep hearing the X Files theme in my head ...

mjtyson
November 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
OK, unsure if someone already posted this or not (not enough computer time...which relates to my peeve):

Not having enough time to swim. I'm way too busy with work/school/kids to get more than ONE day per week...plus, my wife and I both swim, so we decided to each get one day per week and hope to try and fit in another each...which hasn't happened yet.

So if you swim more than once a week, and you love it as much as I do, then you're lucky, at least in my eyes!

Scansy
November 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by mjtyson
OK, unsure if someone already posted this or not (not enough computer time...which relates to my peeve):

Not having enough time to swim. I'm way too busy with work/school/kids to get more than ONE day per week...plus, my wife and I both swim, so we decided to each get one day per week and hope to try and fit in another each...which hasn't happened yet.

So if you swim more than once a week, and you love it as much as I do, then you're lucky, at least in my eyes!

OK, I know all about that one. In the fall (actually August through Thanksgiving) my wife and I are very involved with my 11 year old son's football program. Between coaching and field prep (me) and running registration, banquet, pictures, etc (her) we average 15-20 hours per week. From August through Thanksgiving I swam about 5 times...... This week I am back on the wagon and it is killing me. No stamina, poor technique..... 1000 yards the last two days is killing me when I used to do about 3000 4 or 5 times a week with less pain afterwards..... not to mention the 8 pounds I put on.....

Guvnah
November 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
The only way I can get the time to swim every day is to sacrifice sleep by getting up at 4:30 so that I can be at the YMCA when the open the doors.

In general I have more pep all day if I swim on short sleep than if I sleep in and skip my AM swim. (I have to make the most of weekends to catch up on my sleep.)

Scansy
November 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Guvnah, I'm with you - swimming gives me more energy than sleep....

SWinkleblech
December 1st, 2004, 09:15 AM
I go right after work. The little one is still at daycare and my older daughter can swim so she swims while I do my workout. I get to the pool three days a week doing this. It does help that the daycare is two blocks from the Y.

Guvnah
December 1st, 2004, 01:14 PM
Daycare is not an issue for me, SWinkleblech, but my YMCA has daycare (as well as short-term babysitting) right in the facility. Perhaps yours offers the same... It could cut out one extra stop, even if it's only two blocks away, and that could make your pool time all the more attractive. Even if not, it sounds like you have a pretty good setup for yourself as it is.

SWinkleblech
December 2nd, 2004, 08:41 AM
My daughter is already at daycare from me working. Our Y only offers a babysitting program in the evening that doesn't work for me. My set up is perfect for me. My daughter loves daycare so I don't even feel guilty for leaving her there for that extra time.

Brendan_ONeil
January 18th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by jean sterling
Maybe you shouldn't be so polite. :-)

I agree! At my gym we only have 3 lanes and many people stand around in the lanes even though I'm actively doing laps. I simply do very sharp, forceful and accurately placed flip-turns inches away and they usually move into one of the 2+minutes per lap lanes.

As for people who sit on lane lines and keep "falling" in your path: just chop the water with the hand away from them as it enters the water. You'd be amazed how accurately you can peg them with a nice chunk of water without looking obvious! :D

Anywhere besides a pool, these people's actions would not be tolerated. It would be like leaning on a stack of weights to talk to your buddy while someone is using them or tieing your shoe on an occupied stationary bike. You'd be flogged!!!!

I haven't finished this thread yet, but how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!!

Brendan_ONeil
January 18th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Ok, I finished reading this thread and I thought of another one:

People who steal the kickboard you had at the edge of your lane! People at my Bally's like to take the kick boards and sit on them in the sauna! :mad: <insert mini pitty-party here> "Oh, but it's too HOT in there, don't you know." I solved that one by bringing my own and keeping it at the far end of the pool.

swimshark
January 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Brendan_ONeil

I haven't finished this thread yet, but how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!!

Oh, I second that, Brenden. That is so annoying. And to hear people say it's olympic and then find out it's kidney shaped?! Grrr.

Kae1
January 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I work out at a gym that doesn't provide kickboards, pull-buoys, or a pace clock. It does, however, have a large number of what I call "water-walkers" - the people that bounce up and down a lane at a snails pace and call it a work out. Then, there's the lady that brings her stretch cords to the pool (at 5:00 pm, when it's crowded), hooks them up and does a VERY splashy backstroke in the middle of the lane, hooked to her cords. Don't get me wrong - those things are great for people who have small pools in their backyard, and want to get a workout, but the gym I'm at actually has a 25-meter pool! Why the cords?!

And, if you're going to "water-walk", get in a lane with other water-walkers -- you can fit a lot more of them into a lane than lap swimmers with vastly different speeds.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!
Kae

jean sterling
January 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Brendan_ONeil

how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!!

Don't forget hotels that claim to have a junior olympic pool, whatever that is.

Sparky
January 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Oh, I second that, Brenden. That is so annoying. And to hear people say it's olympic and then find out it's kidney shaped?! Grrr.

Maybe they don't mean the regular Olympics. Maybe they're talking about the Bean Olympics!

(Get it? Kidney? Bean?)

What about people who ruin a perfectly good rant with a dumb joke? I hate when that happens!

Adam :D

Fishgrrl
January 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM
and then keep tapping your toes the whole time!! I've mentioned before that I can think of one person in particular who refuses to go ahead of me, then swims right on my toes!

Grrrrrrrrrr.....

What is it, a control thing??

Other than that I'm pretty happy with any and all lane mates!

aquageek
January 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Fishgrrl
and then keep tapping your toes the whole time!! I've mentioned before that I can think of one person in particular who refuses to go ahead of me, then swims right on my toes!

Yet another side benefit of being a Southerner - manners and courtesy. For this person I'd suggest just moving behind them at the end of the rep or set and not give them the opportunity to touch your toes. Or, alternatively, you could use it as a challenge and try to keep ahead, really press yourself. I know I always swim faster when leading.

Fishgrrl
January 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I have! I'll wait at the end of the lane and let them move past and yes, it's good to try to stay ahead; makes me work harder.

However, I'm a really slow IMer, specifically breaststroke, and this person has in the past insisted on going behind, then waits approx. 2 seconds before they leave the wall....

If I happen to swim with this person, I now st they go ahead on IM or sprint sets.

It's still annoying though! :--)

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Just this afternoon, women coming in for their afternoon aquatic dance class complained because the division ropes in the open part of the pool were in their way. they were ten minutes early for their class and the mother/child class still had ten minutes of class. the old women were mad becasue the mothers & their kids were in their way. I thnk this is the first time the old women were not complaining about me.

aquageek
January 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Fishgrrl:

There is nothing worse than an unkind lane mate, ESPECIALLY during an organized practice. My coach enforces the 5 second leave rule and insists everyone have a clean wall to come into at the end of a set. My suggestion is you tell your coach to casually bring this courtesy up. It also makes flip turns very difficult if he/she is following too closely. Our team is really good at knowing spacing. For instance, we have one person who leads kick, IM, free etc. It's really pretty neat, now that I think on it.

If all else fails, splash water in his/her face and say, GO AHEAD OF ME OR STOP HITTING MY TOES!

Kae1
January 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
You could always grow out your toenails... some nasty scratches to the hands would probably cure your toe-grabber.

Of course, this presupposes that you don't have a spouse that has to share a bed with you....;)

Kae

Fishgrrl
January 18th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I like both suggestions!! Long toenails....water splashing....

It is pretty cool when you swim with the same folks often and everyone gets to know each others' strengths and weaknesses....

So on that note - what kinds of sets do you like/hate to lead?

I'm a pretty good kicker, so I get "stuck" leading kick sets with and without fins. I'm a HORRIBLE IM person, so I always try to go last! (I hate IM day....sigh)

jean sterling
January 18th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I'm a pretty good kicker, so I get "stuck" leading kick sets with and without fins. I'm a HORRIBLE IM person, so I always try to go last! (I hate IM day....sigh)

I lead on the IM sets - most of the people are triathletes and don't really like the other strokes. I swim in the middle on freestyle sets, and I go last on kicking or when we swim with fins - I'm not much of a kicker and I don't do well with fins.

swim53
January 19th, 2005, 09:27 AM
My pet peeve is an aquatic director at a local Y who refuses to put lane ropes in, even during the (few and far between) lap times.

Fishgrrl
January 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I think IM folks rock!! I can hang for about the first 25 or 50 if we start off with fly, but once we get to back and breast everything falls apart, unless it's a kick set....

aquageek
January 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Doesn't IM always start with fly?

Fishgrrl
January 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Sometimes we'll do "traditional" IM sets like: 10 x 100 IM or 5 x 200 IM..etc.

Other times, the coach will have us do something like:

4 x 75 IM no fly
4 x 75 IM no back
4 x 75 IM no breast
4 x 75 IM no free

Or a bunch of 50s like 25 fly/25 back, 25 back/25 breast, and so on

jean sterling
January 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by swim53
My pet peeve is an aquatic director at a local Y who refuses to put lane ropes in, even during the (few and far between) lap times.

I remember the old Y where I used to swim. The people didn't like to share lanes - I think they thought there was an amendment in the constitution that gave everybody the right to a private lane - maybe it came under pursuit of happiness. Anyway, it was a six lane pool, and the Y put in lane ropes (those dinky ones that were ropes with little floats) that made SEVEN lanes, making it impossible to share a lane.

Guvnah
January 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Discuss it with the person. Let them know that if they keep it up, you'll pee.

Seriously, though, there is an interesting phenomenon that occurs when people circle swim. If two people are equally matched in speed, the one who is behind will almost always catch up because of drafting. Swap places, and the one who was previously in front will start touching toes. You just have to be conscious of it and leave enough room that the drafting effect is minimized.

Sonic Swimmer78
January 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Brenden_ONeil

I third that! The same applies at the local Aquatic Center where I live. I'm sorry, but a short-course isn't Olympic Sized, it's a SHORT-COURSE. In fact, the only Olympic Sized Pool I know of is in the Military Base where I do my Saturday Workouts with my team.

Olympic Sized Pools are 50 Meters in length and are 25 Meters in width. The whole use of Yards is beyond me, it's just too messy.

jackkangaroo
January 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
1. HOT water...either the aqua babes (it tends to be females, not all are large) and/or synchro (who I HIGHLY respect for their craft) get ahold of the maintenance folks and convenince them the water is too cold and when we get in....I turn red. I am told that my body can not breath/sweat...since the water temp and my body temp are the same thing.

2. Coaches who give sets that are TOO complicated ...and need a calculator/planner to organize...lol...ooops... I am the worst one for doing it to my swimmers...

3. Coaches not showing upj (minor peeve), I get used the organized regime and feel obligated to coach from the water (would rathe swim then think of workouts).

4. Traveling a couple of hours to a meet, getting lost and then "stinking" up the 1 event I was looking for a PB (personal best)...

Jack Kangas
Buckeye Masters

thisgirl13
January 19th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Here's my pet peeve for the night:

The current freezing temps here have caused quite a heating ruckus at our Y in Sewickley. Our large pool has a whole wall of sliding glass doors that obviously lead to the out-of-doors area......tonight, the air temp was so cold there wasn't any fog on the sliding doors, because inside and outside were pretty darn near the same temperature (I swear it), and the pool was also cold, but warm enough to create a horrible soupy cloud mix in the water, and steam rising from the surface of the pool.

Not one of my finest nights, I'm afraid.....cold air, very cold pool, very bad.....first time I think I've ever complained about a cold pool in my life, but hey.

swimmer_steph
January 19th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I'm sure this has been noted somewhere on the former eleventy pages of this thread, but mine is people trying to talk w/me when I'm under water! For crying out loud I wish the older aqua aerobics set would learn I'm not there to socialize. I'm there to swim. Fast. Underwater chit chat? Not so much.

I'm even beginning to forego eye contact lest I be trapped in a corner after my final set listening to how someone's grandson is now eating strained carrots.

Karen Duggan
January 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I read about the first 5 pages from November and had quite the good chuckle. Did "Guvnah" set a record for longest post(s)? I think he may have. :p

I've experienced a lot of these in 25 years of swimming! I still do get annoyed from time to time, but I'll only say something to someone if they really injure me, because they're not paying attention. This happened not too long ago and I was really surprised at the words that came out of my mouth. I had never used those words in the water! But it really hurt and probably worse, them running into my head was a complete surprise! Pain and surprise are not a good combination!

These days when I swim with people that turn my lane into the RESOURCE lane (an education term used to describe the kids who need extra assistance) and mess up sets or intervals I just think to myself and occasionally say, "I'm just happy to be here."
There have been times when, for many reasons, I could not swim, so even a bad day swimming is better than not swimming at all :)

dorothyrde
January 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I had that head banging experience last summer. I was outdoors in the long course pool and was doing broken IMs. I was doing breast to free leg. What I did not know was immediately after I started my breaststroke, a gentlemen got in the lane with me and basically was swimming freestyle right behind me. When I turned and streamlined fast off the wall into freestyle(the focus was good tight turns), smack, right into him. He apoligized and said he had not given me room becuase he did not think I was going to come right back. Huh? After that I did a little open water sighting!

tjrpatt
January 20th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Swimmers who slack off but are able to get their Junior and Senior National cuts. These people would be hanging out at the Ice cream parlor for two hours while another swimmer is putting 150% effort at practice to get those cuts.

Kae1
January 20th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Every pet peeve known to swimming-kind in the same night:

Last night I went to the gym after work (as usual). There are 3 pretty wide lanes in the 25-meter pool, but we can't really circle swim because it's a gym, not a team practice, and people get there at different times, are doing different workouts, and some may not even know what the concept of circle swimming is. Every lane has 2 people in it, and there are 2 others (besides me) waiting. We wait patiently, it takes about 20 minutes for me to get in (I was last there). About halfway through my workout, another swimmer shows up and waits patiently on deck. In the meantime, stretch-cord-string-bikini woman shows up, plops her gear (in a big, rolling duffel) at the end of the middle lane, and gets in the water. However, after staking her claim, she does stay off to the side on the steps. Then grumpy-old-man shows up and gets in the water, and just starts walking up and down a lane that already has 2 lap swimmers in it. Eventually, one gets out; stretch-cord-string-bikini woman gets in (the first one waiting is still patiently waiting on deck). Stretech-cord-string-bikini woman starts her "workout," which begins with holding on to a "noodle" and bouncing back and forth -- across the lane, mind you -- that grumpy-old-man and some poor guy training for a triathlon were in. I finish, motion to Mr. Patient that I'm done, he can have my lane, and get out. Triathlon guy gets out at about the same time, tells me that grump-old-man walked into him, and when he said "excuse me, I'm trying to swim laps here," was told "you don't own the pool" and "well, just swim half-laps" I was dumbfounded. That's just plain rude!

It will be interesting to see if it's that crowded next week. If so, I think we're going to have to start getting less polite (a horrible thought). But when you complain to gym management about it, they just say "the pool is there for all members to use". Wonder what they'd do it someone was routinely coming up to the weight lifters and leaning on their weights, or trying to get on a treadmill with someone already walking on it.:mad:

My early morning rant (that felt good).
Kae

knelson
January 20th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kae1
and some may not even know what the concept of circle swimming is.

Well then, they should learn. I can't even imagine this. Is the time designated as "lap swimming" or just "open swim?" It seems like you could at least get them to divide the pool so some people could do circle swim laps.

Guvnah
January 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
I read about the first 5 pages from November and had quite the good chuckle. Did "Guvnah" set a record for longest post(s)? I think he may have. :p

I could go on forever because I breathe every stroke.
:) :)

Karen Duggan
January 20th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I was hoping you took that the right way Guvnah. I see you did. Nice to meet you :)

Kae1
January 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Well then, they should learn. I can't even imagine this. Is the time designated as "lap swimming" or just "open swim?" It seems like you could at least get them to divide the pool so some people could do circle swim laps.

There is no time designated as 'lap swim'. The only rule is that there be no lap swimming during the water aerobics class (which apparently doesn't stop people from doing water aerobics in the pool whenever they feel like it - they just don't have the instructor and loud music). all other times the pool is open for "member use" and nothing specifies what limitations (if any) there are in the definition of "use".

Personally, I think it speaks to the larger issue of many people (especially in Arizona) feeling that a pool exists for relaxation and enjoyment, not excersize. For example, to cool off after your 'real' workout on the weights or at the spinning class, or as a refresher so you can get back into the spa without getting overheated. The idea that swimming *is* a workout for many of us is just too foreign.

I'm trying to work on my fly, since that seems to convey the message "I'm serious" to others getting in the poo:D

Kae

tjrpatt
January 20th, 2005, 10:44 PM
That is really annoying that that goes one at your gym. Maybe if you and other people should complain to management, the gym could enforce circle swimming and swimming only. I know all too well about 2 people in a lane. The rule at our pool is to circle swim but people don't want to do it at my gym. Just a suggestion. You can't have people waiting to swim. No one has time to wait!!!

Karen Duggan
January 21st, 2005, 01:14 AM
I should have knocked on wood the other night. The irony here is really annoying.

I swam at our 7 pm workout tonight. It was about 42 degrees on the deck and you could not see the pool very well with all of the steam. My friend and I got in right at 7 and since it wasn't really crowded we decided to split the lane. Near the end of warm up at 7:15 Kerry says, "One more 50 up and back." I go on my right side of the lane and come back on my right side. Unbeknownst to me, another girl had jumped in and started swimming. She wasn't looking and ran into me! (Of course I wasn't looking either, as there were only two of us in the lane!) She nailed my left hand. She apologized and said," I didn't know you guys were splitting."
When I got to the wall my friend said,"Did she hit you?" I said that she got me pretty good, and mocking her, I said, "I didn't know you were splitting- well, you could LOOK!" (I guess she couldn't see with all of the steam?) Insert foot in mouth, her husband was in the next lane listening! DOH.
We ended up having a really great practice. I moved over a lane and we raced quite a bit. She won some, I won some. It was a lot of fun :)

Scansy
January 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Several posts with people just jumping in and swimming and then running into another swimmer!:confused: I just don't get the thought process that leads to that. I always make sure that I have the attention of ALL of the other swimmers in a lane before I enter. It doesn't have to be a conversation. Just them looking at me and acknowledging that I am getting in. In the end, its the resposibility of the person getting in to let the others know they are coming in. I know that when I am in a good workout, I tend to become oblivious to what's happening on the deck around me.

On occassion, when I can't get someones attention that is swimming, I will sit on the edge with my feet in the water - at a corner of the lane. That has always made them look at least briefly.

Guvnah
January 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Several posts with people just jumping in and swimming and then running into another swimmer!:confused: I just don't get the thought process that leads to that. I always make sure that I have the attention of ALL of the other swimmers in a lane before I enter. It doesn't have to be a conversation. Just them looking at me and acknowledging that I am getting in. In the end, its the resposibility of the person getting in to let the others know they are coming in. I know that when I am in a good workout, I tend to become oblivious to what's happening on the deck around me.

On occassion, when I can't get someones attention that is swimming, I will sit on the edge with my feet in the water - at a corner of the lane. That has always made them look at least briefly.

I'm with you. I even make sure the other person knows I'm there before I start even if we're splitting the lane, not circling. I'll stand in the water on the side opposite the one it appears the other swimmer wants. And if I'm wrong about the side I picked, I'll move to the other. I figure, if s/he doesn't stop and acknowledge my presence, at least I stayed standing there until s/he came back and turned at the end I was standing.

If there is anything at all to be peeved about this (given the thread this is in) it's when I get in right after the other swimmer pushed off, and I have to wait until s/he gets down and back. That, in itself, isn't a problem unless the person goes so slow that it takes several minutes to complete. I could have had my first 100 or more done already.

Bob McAdams
January 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM
But when you complain to gym management about it, they just say "the pool is there for all members to use".

Explain to them that you understand this, but you are just trying to keep them from getting into trouble. Explain that the current situation is unsafe, that if they don't institute policies to change it, there will, sooner or later, be a collision in which someone is injured, that when this happens, they will be sued, and that when the case goes to court, they won't have a leg to stand on because they have been knowingly operating their facility in an unsafe manner.

Karen Duggan
January 21st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Scansy and Guvnah,
I do that too, especially if I swim at a weird times and have to swim with "lap" swimmers. It's not only just polite, IT IS a safety issue.

SWinkleblech
January 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
Just last week I was swimming laps and some guy got into the lap lane. I was the only one in the lap lane and there was plenty of room on the other side of the lane for him to swim. As I approached the wall I saw that he was on my side of the lane. I could see that he was watching me so I thought for sure he would move. As I got close enough to do my flip turn I realized he wasn't going to move. I had to do my flip turn to the side of him. Let's just take note that he was a pretty big man. Well I didn't really go to his side far enough and he got a pretty good jab from my elbow as I did my flip turn. Although I didn't do it on purpose I was pleased with myself and felt he deserved it. When I got out of the pool one of the mothers that was wathcing lessons said she couldn't understand what he was doing. He just stood there and watched me come straight at him.

dorothyrde
January 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Parents who don't get their kids to the meet on time so they miss positive check in and then I have to explain to a little 10 year old that they cannot swim because they arrived 15 minutes before the meet was suppose to start and check in closed an hour ago. And to boot, these are parents of our own team who should know better, sigh.

The hard job of trying to get a meet started on time and without empty lanes!

Karen Duggan
January 22nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Shannan,
Looking at your other post about swimming in the north...
From your description of his size perhaps he was a poor, misguided polar bear, and you looked like a tasty seal snack!

Scansy
January 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM
It just seems to me that common sense says - I'm entering a lane that is already in use. I am causing the change. Although I do have the right to join the lane, it's my responsibility to make sure that everyone knows I'm joining. Seems like common sense to me. Kind of like driving. I'm the one merging onto the interstate, so it's my responsibility to do it safely. It's not up to the people on the interstate to make space for me. (It's nice if they do, but they don't have to.)

mbriones
January 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Oh man I just had the WORST experience swimming ever. My Masters Club is only open during the week. I have a high calorie dinner this evening and wanted to get in 40 laps this morning and went to this gorgeous acquatic center that is just a hop skip and a jump from my home in Fremont, in Newark.

4 very spacious lanes, nice pool, indoor. The lanes were marked slow fast and medium. Not knowing which to go for, I got into a slow lane where a woman had just gotten in. So I was getting ready, and the herd came in. The pool was filling up fast. I had never shared a lane with more than two other swimmers - ever. So I start in the slow lane with the woman and I am overtaking her. She stopped at the end, then starts sliding to the middle of the lane!!!! On one of my breaths I said "Excuse me- I'm going to turn" and she looked at me like the Mother Ship was outside in the parking lot. She got the hint when I got to the end and initiated my flip turn.

So that didn't work. So I scooted to a 'medium' lane and asked if we could swim in a circle as the two swimmers were swimmgin side by side. Couldn't they see me standing politely at the end? I guess not. The water is kind of murky or something. Yuck. So that didn't work out either because they were doing freestyle, and I was doing BR and when I got to the end and did a flip turn, I almost ran smack into one of them. So, that didn't work, and I bade a farewell and moved to ANOTHER slow lane where a guy was doing the BR so I figured that would work. We glided politely past each other and I thought it was going to work until a third guy got in and I just gave up. I felt like I was driving in a crazy traffic jam, trying to keep myself out of harm's way.

I only got inabout 8 laps or so; I was so flustered, I kept forgetting to hit my lap counter. I got out and even MORE people were coming in.

Is it me, or is 25 people in a 4 lane pool just TOO MUCH?

I know I would have gotten too hot as the water was very warm. The pros - easy to get in, the cons, by my 20th lap, I would have been roasting.

Anyway, it was a HORRIBLE experience and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I was leaving and more people were coming in through the front door.

I am going to see if my Masters club will start having a Saturday or Sunday Swim. Technically we can swim every day, it's just arranging a person with a key to come and we would watch the deck while the other swam. Something to think about.

:mad:

I think it's something to write about on my website's 'rant' section...

SWinkleblech
January 23rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Shannan,
From your description of his size perhaps he was a poor, misguided polar bear, and you looked like a tasty seal snack!

No wonder I swam so fast that day.:eek:

swimr4life
January 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
My pet peeve is swimmers that kick with the pull buoy during a pull set! Doesn't that defeat the purpose?:confused:

swimshark
January 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
My pet peeve is swimmers that kick with the pull buoy during a pull set! Doesn't that defeat the purpose?:confused:

That's about equal to swimmers who do a pull set with fins on (uless there is an injury, because then I could understand)

dorothyrde
January 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
That's about equal to swimmers who do a pull set with fins on (uless there is an injury, because then I could understand)

I have seen that and always wanted to......why?

SWinkleblech
January 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Shannan,

I didn't like my other avatar so I thought I change it. Aren't they cute? Although the polar bear that was after me didn't look so cute.

mariposa
January 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I didn't like my other avatar so I thought I change it. Aren't they cute? Although the polar bear that was after me didn't look so cute.

Drafters....esp. once you push off and they dont' give you the courtesy of waiting.

Sonic Swimmer78
January 30th, 2005, 10:17 PM

It just means they're lazy. I've met a few who don't know how to use the Pull Bouy and seeing them is funny for all the wrong reasons.

I remembered a pet peeve of mine just recently. I swim at the university pool and there's this student trainer who's a part of the work study program.

Okay, so I'm on this starting block that was left on the lane from a previous swimmer when I decide to get on it and practice my starts (yeah, I don't get enough of starting block training) when this guy sees that I'm on the darn thing, waiting to start. I like to concentrate on my start so that I can get a decent form when I start, since my starts aren't all that good, when all of a sudden, he says "GO!" which seriously not only startled me, but ruined my concentration, so what do I do?? I get off the block, SLAPPING my chest and lap. "OWWWW!!!" Not only did I screw up on my start, but I was in discomfort from the water slapping my chest and lap.

I don't need for someone to tell me to go when I'm concentrating on a start. :yikes: I'm beginning to sound like Guvnah with that last line :p But seriously though, I need every ounce of concentration to practice my starts. I'm not going to start on the edge of a pool when I attend my first swim meet.

swimmer_steph
February 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM

I think your polar bear has come south for the rest of the winter. I would swear he was in my pool yesterday wearing paddles as large as trash can lids!

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM

I was one of those for awhile... my coach wanted me to wear them because I had/ have a dodgy shoulder...

Didn't realise that I was so annoying!! :p

peace and love and all that good stuff...
e.

dorothyrde
February 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Not annoying, just wondering what the benefit would be since you are not suppose to move your feet anyway. Is there additional lift from wearing the fins with a pull bouy.

When I see people doing this, I just figure they did not want to take the time to take the fins off.

SWinkleblech
February 3rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by swimmer_steph
I think your polar bear has come south for the rest of the winter. I would swear he was in my pool yesterday wearing paddles as large as trash can lids!

He was back at my pool yesturday. He kept swimming in and out of my lane. I had no idea what he was trying to do. One time he was even swimming beneath me. :confused:

Scansy
February 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
This morning I shared a lane with a guy who thrashed around - swinging his head almost violently when he breathed. His head was above the water for a long time - one stroke with each hand. I think he was holding his breath under water and then exhaling and inhaling above the water and that takes time. The worst part was that he swam freestyle with a very wide and low to the water recovery. I was hugging the rope and still got whacked a couple of times.

Kae1
February 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
I often wind up sharing the pool at the gym with people "swimming laps" who look as though they will sustain serious injury if they keep at it the way they are going. There's the thrashers, who swing their arms so fast it looks like they're training for baseball pitching (and tend to be the ones who think you have to swim Tarzan-style with your head out of the water, whipping from one side to another); there's the "manatees" - the ones with their rear ends on the bottom of the pool and noses poking above the water - often swimming breaststroke with a long pull down to their knees and not going anywhere. I worry for the shoulders and necks of these poor people, not to mention the fact that they probably aren't getting any benefit whatsoever from their "workout". I'm sure y'all see this, too. My question is do you ever mention it to them? Casually direct them to a good book or clinic on technique? Offered to teach them?

Kae

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
Not annoying, just wondering what the benefit would be since you are not suppose to move your feet anyway. Is there additional lift from wearing the fins with a pull bouy.

When I see people doing this, I just figure they did not want to take the time to take the fins off.

Sometimes I'm just too lazy to take the fins off, but they do add some lift, which takes the strain off of the shoulder, which I found helpful at times.... But, yeah, it's a form of cheating :)

e.

dorothyrde
February 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
OK, I have never tried it so did not know whether it was a help or not since technically you are not suppose to be using your feet....although we all do to some extent.

Scansy
February 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
I often wind up sharing the pool at the gym with people "swimming laps" who look as though they will sustain serious injury if they keep at it the way they are going. There's the thrashers, who swing their arms so fast it looks like they're training for baseball pitching (and tend to be the ones who think you have to swim Tarzan-style with your head out of the water, whipping from one side to another); there's the "manatees" - the ones with their rear ends on the bottom of the pool and noses poking above the water - often swimming breaststroke with a long pull down to their knees and not going anywhere. I worry for the shoulders and necks of these poor people, not to mention the fact that they probably aren't getting any benefit whatsoever from their "workout". I'm sure y'all see this, too. My question is do you ever mention it to them? Casually direct them to a good book or clinic on technique? Offered to teach them?

Kae

I counted strokes for a guy who was really thrashing one time. I counted his strokes at 62 for 25 SCY. He had no push off under water at all. I think he was stroking before his feet left the wall. His stroke was short and he had his head up a lot. I also think he let his hand "slip" a lot in the water. He was very muscular and when he stopped he was really breathing hard. He was getting a good cardio workout, but he was slooooooow.

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
62 strokes for 25 SCY? WOW! that's a lot....

What would be a good stroke count for that distance?

e.

Scansy
February 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
If I go over 20 its when I'm really, really tired and my form goes to pot. If I really push it, I can go to about 14. But a lot of people can do 12 or even less when they push it.

Guvnah
February 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
He was back at my pool yesturday. He kept swimming in and out of my lane. I had no idea what he was trying to do. One time he was even swimming beneath me. :confused:

He was ogling you. Checking you out from all sides and angles... A veritable aquatic peeping tom!
:) :) :)

Guvnah
February 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM

Kae

Sometimes I want to do that. I don't, though, because I suspect more people than not will take offense of some sort at the suggestion.

swimmer_steph
February 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
He was ogling you. Checking you out from all sides and angles... A veritable aquatic peeping tom!
:) :) :)

The scary thing is I actually have a guy like that at my gym's pool. Seriously. I've dubbed him CPG = Creepy Pool Guy, and this is at a very nice and not inexpensive gym, so he's obviously a paying member.

He is always looking at certain female swimmers. Wait, looking is inaccurate. He is staring at us and believe me when I tell you I'm not a pretty site in a Speedo! It's very awkward b/c I want to say something to him but I don't want to be confrontational.

He also has a habit of choosing a lane next to one of us and then standing there leaning against the wall while we swim laps. Ewww. It's really creepy b/c he's not even doing any sort of aqua workout - he just stands there and stares. I know this may sound silly or odd, but I can feel him watching my bum as I swim laps so I find myself kicking smaller and trying to stay v. low in the water. It's uncomfortable and oddly disturbing...

Steph

SwiminONandON
February 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM
Steph, I also have a very creepy guy where I swim. I too swim at an upscale club. Only this creepy guy doesn't swim he sits in a lounge chair and stares at us from their. Or he sits in the hot tub. On the rare occassion he does get in the pool he waits until our workouts are over and we are doing our cool down. No one is allowed to be in the pool area alone with him. It is totally uncomfortable!

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
No one is allowed to be in the pool area alone with him. It is totally uncomfortable!

Huh? Why is no one allowed in the pool area alone with him? (maybe I missed something).

I know, there are some really creepy guys out there (and people want to know why I carry mace ;))!

DAP
February 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
I often wind up sharing the pool at the gym with people "swimming laps" who look as though they will sustain serious injury if they keep at it the way they are going. At one pool where I swim (public city lap pool), it's quite rare that I see someone with good swimming form. I think I have only seen 3 or 4 people there who looked like they knew what they were doing. In a couple of those cases, I made it a point to complement their swimming style. Otherwise I see (and hear) some really bad swimming.

I was one of those really bad swimmers until a few months ago when I got some real coaching from a Masters club. Now that I know what the correct form looks like, I can see the bad swimming. So I can understand how some swimmers with bad form might not realize how bad they are.

Guvnah
February 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM
The scary thing is I actually have a guy like that at my gym's pool. Seriously. I've dubbed him CPG = Creepy Pool Guy, and this is at a very nice and not inexpensive gym, so he's obviously a paying member.

He is always looking at certain female swimmers. Wait, looking is inaccurate. He is staring at us ...

We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. He stands in the men's shower -- WITH HIS GLASSES ON -- for a good half hour, apparently just watching the rest of us guys as we cycle through the showers. I refer to him as "Shower Boy." (Like most men's showers at YMCAs, we just have gang showers. No curtains, etc.)

(Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.)

DAP
February 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM
We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. We have a guy like that too. Almost every day, he just goes straight from the front door to the locker room and showers. He doesn't bring a towel, so he dries off with paper towels and one of the blow dryers. And he does his laundry in the locker room sink. Either he is homeless, or very cheap, or likes hanging around the men's locker room.

swimmer_steph
February 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM
We have a guy like that. Only he doesn't swim or lift or run or do any sort of workout whatsoever. He just showers. He stands in the men's shower -- WITH HIS GLASSES ON -- for a good half hour, apparently just watching the rest of us guys as we cycle through the showers. I refer to him as "Shower Boy." (Like most men's showers at YMCAs, we just have gang showers. No curtains, etc.)

(Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.)

Okay -- now that is way creepy. Shower Boy? Perhaps we could introduce CPG to Shower Boy and they could just stare at each other while we swim...

BTW, Flipper, the little old ladies at my pool have dubbed me "Lap Girl." :p

I love this sport...

Kae1
February 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM

(Isn't it cool that we have names for various people? Many of the people at my pool call me Flipper (and my wife Mrs Flipper) because we do good flip turns.) [/B]

I'm kinda of worried about what name other swimmers at the pool have for me, but I know I have names for them...
there's "Stretch-cord-string-bikini-woman", the "Southern Belle backstroker", "Red speedo man", "jealous of her butterfly", and a number of "old dudes walking".

Apparently, though, I am quite lucky to NOT have a creepy pool guy (yet- touch wood). Eww.

Kae

dorothyrde
February 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Whoa, after all the creepy guy talk, I am relieved to only have to deal with the old two armed backstrokers who cannot stay on their side of the lane!!

Mark in MD
February 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I'm kinda of worried about what name other swimmers at the pool have for me, but I know I have names for them...
there's "Stretch-cord-string-bikini-woman", the "Southern Belle backstroker", "Red speedo man", "jealous of her butterfly", and a number of "old dudes walking".

Apparently, though, I am quite lucky to NOT have a creepy pool guy (yet- touch wood). Eww.

Kae

Kae, there's a red Speedo man I've seen at our pool. He's showed up a couple of times during our Masters team practices in his red Speedo ... but he's added another dimension. He seems to be going through mid-life crisis, so he's pierced both of his nipples. God ... we were in pain just thinking about it. Takes all kinds, I 'spose. Sad to say ... he wasn't a bad swimmer either. Hey Guvnah, why not toss "Creepy Guy" into a very cold shower and hold him there? He might ge the message.

scooter
February 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
HEY! Is there anything wrong with a red speedo? I occasionally wear one. Not my favorite, always on the bottom of the bag, but when my other two suits are home, it suffices. I hope I am not horrifying those at my favorite pool!

Sonic Swimmer78
February 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Oh my God! Am I glad I'm mot alone. Well, after I swim (this is in the University, mind you) I go to the showers to rinse off, but there is this middle-aged man who takes a LONG time in the showers. (Much like Guvnah's "Shower Boy")

Only he doesn't stare at the other guys, he just showers slowly, but here's where it gets disgusting. Every time I'm in there or drying off outside of the shower room, you can HEAR (With heavy reverberations) him hocking loogies! Ewwww!!!! ...and hearing it heavily reverberated doesn't matters better.

I'm glad I never go in the locker room or in the showers barefoot now. I make a point to pack my flip-flops before anything else to prevent getting athlete's foot or having the displeasure of stepping on a floor with loogies! :lol: EWWWW!!!! :p :p

eliana2003
February 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Ummm.... go tell a lifeguard? There's basic health and safety involved there....Or perhaps you can go to him and ask him if you can go an spit and snot in his shower at home (you never know, though, he may say, 'yes.') :p

Once, when I came out of practice on a Saturday, a women was letting her little boy pee in the shower... Boy, I got mad (they're open showers)! When I politely informed her that the shower was not a toliet (I was polite, as I didn't want a confrontation), she was really snotty back.

I thought the he** with it and left. And this was at one of the country's best facilities.

People like that really annoy me. *sigh*

Off my soapbox now and on to more pleasant subjects...

Guvnah
February 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM

I wonder if anyone can top "Floating Cadaver". The guy "swims" on his back sooooo slowly. He barely moves. Literally, it takes him more than 5 minutes per 50 yards.

I'm sure some people have other names for me (under their breath...) I know "Wet Suit Lady" doesn't like me.

And then there is the "Frantic Poodle". She is rather petite, and complains that the water is too cold. (84 degrees...) When she first gets in she does this really brisk doggy-paddle with her arms and a bicycle-like kick to get warm, and to me she looks like a frantic poodle. And "Spider Lady" who has the fastest (but short and choppy) freestyle stroke I've ever seen. Her arms go so fast it looks like she has 8 arms!

DAP
February 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I wonder if anyone can top "Floating Cadaver". The guy "swims" on his back sooooo slowly. He barely moves. Literally, it takes him more than 5 minutes per 50 yards.
I have a "floating cadaver", except in my case it's a lady who takes a several minutes to do one 25 yard length. She's not even flat on her back; she's kind of on her side, almost on her back, with her head sticking out, and she makes groaning sounds the whole time like she is in pain. Perhaps she had surgery or something. The only truely annoying thing to me is that she almost always chooses the designated fast lane and floats in the middle of the lane. The slowest lane has a stairway for physically less able people which gets in the way for normal lap swimming, and she could be doing the cadaver swim in that lane.... but no.

I could go on-and-on about all the strange characters and swimming styles that I have encountered.

aquageek
February 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I've mentioned the "Sweat Peddler" before on this forum. He was the guy at my old pool who would dry his dripping wet with sweat shorts in the swimsuit spinner. Mind you he wore the same pair of shorts every day and put them in the spinner immediately after he got out of the steam room.

I swam at a Y in Hartford while on assignment and there was "Oddly Sudsy Mid Riff Boy." Yes, this guy took a one hour shower and sudsed up aggressively in, um, that region. Quite a motivation to get in and out of the shower area very, very quickly.

laineybug
February 8th, 2005, 06:39 PM
oh there is so much creepiness! A couple of years ago, while I was getting the chlorine off, I heard what sounded like a moan coming from the shower stall next to me. Well, I thought she got shampoo in her eye. Then another sound from the same stall, a different voice. I got outta there so fast I left a little shampoo in my hair. Luckily that hasn't happenned again.

Scansy
February 9th, 2005, 06:43 AM
This naming thing is awesome. I think the next time I'm at my Y I will work on names for everyone. I just hope none of them are reading this thread and planning on naming me!:eek: :o :rolleyes:

susanehr
February 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM
There is a guy that comes in the pool, begins to swim, and then sneezes...three times. Anyone got a name for him?

CCSR79
February 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
There is this guy at my pool who seems to ALWAYS choose my lane and he is the most weird swimmer ever (now I started changing lanes every time he joins me, it's a pain!).

He splashes so much water around that if you're next to him you will swallow loads of it, and have that feeling you're in the middle of the ocean with all the waves. But the weirdest part which really breaks my concentration is the way he swims. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on why!

He does this on every lap: he starts by pushing off the wall all the way to the bottom of the pool (about 4 feet) then touches the floor, gets up, walk about 5 steps, and starts swimming freestyle like mad (hence the waves). When he gets to the end he gets up, does an open turn and do the above all over again.

Why would someone do that? On every lap! I can't help but pay attention to it trying to figure out "what the hell..."

Sonic Swimmer78
February 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I've met a lot of swimmers in my day, but "Slow Freestyler" tops everyone.

This guy has a "private trainer" (same guy who's in the work study program at the University Pool*) who desperately tries to teach this guy proper freestyle technique. Instead, "Slow Freestyler" does this Doggie-Paddle/Freestyle hybrid with his head entirely above the water.

This guy is SO SLOW that I can beat him with my breaststroke, yes... BREASTSTROKE!!

I timed this guy twice: Once when I was wearing my Aqua Sphere full body suit (I came in one length of the pool at 48 seconds with the breaststroke and he came in at 1:52, doing his Doggie-Paddle/Freestyle hybrid.)

The second time, I timed him when I was wearing my speedo (I came in at 50 seconds with the breaststroke and he trailed along at 1:57, doing his Doggie-Paddle/Freestyle hybrid. Again one length of the pool. Y'don't want to know what my freestyle result was compared to his! :lol: )

Of course, I did this without fins. It's so sad, but funny (for all the wrong reasons) to see this guy desperately trying to swim.

Sparky
February 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM
This thread seems to be taking on a Seinfeldian quality .. "What's the deal with lousy swimmers and creepy shower guys?"

... But I digress.

Has anyone ever been tempted to ask a person like the one in CCSR79's pool, "What are you doing? Did you put any thought into this routine of yours?"

It might be rude, but sometimes when I see people who have a bizarre swmming style, I just want to ask them, "What's your story?" Not in a mean or critical way, but just to find out. I'm not talking about people with bad form or who swim slowly, but the ones who swim, for lack of a better word, inexplicably.

My apologies for the prolific use of adverbs in that last sentence.

Adam

Mark in MD
February 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Scooter ... no harm was meant towards you ... it's the the red Speedo man's combination of body armor and suit that seems a tad ... strange.

Sonic ... seen the same thing regarding about long shower guy at my pool. You'd think they were imitating Leonardo di Caprio on the deck of the Titanic. I started wearing flip flops in the showers anywhere when I picked up a raging case of athlete's foot at a swim meet three years ago. Maybe you ought to consider helping the Super Slow Swimmer.

Laineybuy ... best advice on your predicament: "Don't ask, don't tell." :D

DAP: We have a "floating cadaver" at our pool. She is a bit ample in girth and uses a snorkel, mask and huge flippers to do her thing. We call her "The Barge" because we thought about playing ring toss on her snorkel. She doesn't like sharing lanes and haven't seen her in a while. Perhaps she got tired of us sharing her lane, passing her doing an IM, fly or whatever.

There's a much older guy than I am whom I see every Saturday morning when I am at the pool to teach kids' lessons. He literally stands in the steam room and shadow boxes buck nekked. Once he's pretty steamed up good and red, he continues outside of the steam room, adjacent to the showers. We're waiting for him to have a coronary or stroke.

I wonder though, and I am being complimentary to the rest of my good friends out there. We all pretty well seem to know what we're doing in the pool. I wonder if, given all the stuff we've seen in the pool, we're wrong and they're right. Scary thought but only a nightmare.

CCSR79
February 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Sparky

Has anyone ever been tempted to ask a person like the one in CCSR79's pool, "What are you doing? Did you put any thought into this routine of yours?"

Of course I've been tempted to ask, as much as I try I can't figure out what's the point of what he's doing!

I've also been tempted to correct people when they're swimming the wrong way. There's a guy at my pool who swims fly for some laps and his arms only leave the water after his head has already gone back in, I always feel like telling him "Uh, do you know that they're supposed to come out of the water together?"

IndyGal
February 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CCSR79
I've also been tempted to correct people when they're swimming the wrong way.

Speaking as a novice swimmer, I would be delighted to take any and all tips/advice/corrections from the "power swimmers" at my pool. You have no idea how intimidating it is for a beginner to come in and practice next to someone who's doing a hard-core workout with expert technique. :)

CCSR79
February 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by IndyGal
Speaking as a novice swimmer, I would be delighted to take any and all tips/advice/corrections from the "power swimmers" at my pool. You have no idea how intimidating it is for a beginner to come in and practice next to someone who's doing a hard-core workout with expert technique. :)

I know, but I can imagine how many people would take offense from that, a lot of people don't like being criticized, and I'm sure a lot of them (even the funny fly guy) think they're swimming just fine, so I rather stay quiet about it...

LindsayNB
February 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I've also been tempted to correct people when they're swimming the wrong way. There's a guy at my pool who swims fly for some laps and his arms only leave the water after his head has already gone back in, I always feel like telling him "Uh, do you know that they're supposed to come out of the water together?"

If you watch Michael Phelps, his face is reentering the water about the time that his hands are leaving it. The head should definately not be fully submerged again by the time the hands come out but neither should the head be coming out of the water at the same time as the hands. Breathing too late is probably the single most common mistake in swimming butterfly.

It is really too bad that you see so many photos of butterfliers showing their head high looking forward as their arms are out perpendicular to their bodies, no wonder so many people are mixed up about the correct timing.

CCSR79
February 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by LindsayNB
If you watch Michael Phelps, his face is reentering the water about the time that his hands are leaving it. The head should definately not be fully submerged again by the time the hands come out but neither should the head be coming out of the water at the same time as the hands. Breathing too late is probably the single most common mistake in swimming butterfly.

It is really too bad that you see so many photos of butterfliers showing their head high looking forward as their arms are out perpendicular to their bodies, no wonder so many people are mixed up about the correct timing.

This guy's head is definitely fully submerged when his arms come out, it really is a funny thing to watch (make those intervals much more interesting that's for sure!)

Guvnah
February 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mark in MD
... We call her "The Barge" ...

Reminds me of "The Bumper Boats". There are these three sisters, perhaps ages 12, 14, 16. Somewhat portly. They all get into one lane, and have yet to figure out the concept of "circle swim". So they bump into each other a lot. Kind of funny to watch.

Kae1
February 9th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by IndyGal

Y'know, I don't know of any swimmer that wouldn't be more than happy to give you some pointers (provided you didn't interrupt them in the middle of something or anything), if you start with "wow, your technique is really good, can you give me any tips?" Again, if you catch them at the beginning or end of their workout, they'd probably be more than willing (I know I would be flattered and more than happy to help, even if it meant setting up another time to meet and go over technique).

Kae

Scansy
February 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Y'know, I don't know of any swimmer that wouldn't be more than happy to give you some pointers (provided you didn't interrupt them in the middle of something or anything), if you start with "wow, your technique is really good, can you give me any tips?" Again, if you catch them at the beginning or end of their workout, they'd probably be more than willing (I know I would be flattered and more than happy to help, even if it meant setting up another time to meet and go over technique).

Kae

If someone said "wow, your technique is really good, can you give me any tips?" to me, they would have to give me CPR - I would die of shock!:p :rolleyes:

jackkangaroo
February 9th, 2005, 10:29 PM
two takes...

1st - the guy/gal thrashing in the pool is probably getting a BETTER workout than I am. I am trying to be efficient and consistent with my stroke to achieve a fast time (especially when trying to go fast). Mr/Ms thrasher is getting their heart rate up there faster and longer. It may depend on what you want out of the "workout"... depends on your goal...but it sure hurts to watch...

2nd. Just my take...I use the chance to sell Masters - by giving some advice to those that look like they are trying. I ask them first if they would like a couple of comments (very important to ask 1st - IMHO). If they say yes, I find something nice to say and then give them some basic tips - THEN I try mention the pool JUST HAPPENS to have a Masters group...and that there is a coach on deck that give advice - we have gotten a few people over the years (at a University pool - can't get them forever). I admit to selecting ones that can swim at least a 500 (fast or slow) and don't need a total stroke overhaul (guilty of some sort of bias here).

IMHO we - as the 'experienced' swimmers are the sales people for Masters - we need to constantly sell sell sell.

swimmer_steph
February 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
There is this guy at my pool who seems to ALWAYS choose my lane and he is the most weird swimmer ever (now I started changing lanes every time he joins me, it's a pain!).

He splashes so much water around that if you're next to him you will swallow loads of it, and have that feeling you're in the middle of the ocean with all the waves. But the weirdest part which really breaks my concentration is the way he swims. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on why!

He does this on every lap: he starts by pushing off the wall all the way to the bottom of the pool (about 4 feet) then touches the floor, gets up, walk about 5 steps, and starts swimming freestyle like mad (hence the waves). When he gets to the end he gets up, does an open turn and do the above all over again.

Why would someone do that? On every lap! I can't help but pay attention to it trying to figure out "what the hell..."

Perhaps your guy has OCD and he *has* to do that for each lap?!

We have a guy who splashes so much I've dubbed him "Sheepdog in a Kiddie Pool" b/c he's all over the place, plus he makes waves like you wouldn't believe; it's just a mess when he's there. I don't know if he does it for attention, b/c he lacks skill, or just to get his own lane b/c no one - and I mean no one -will share w/him!

swimmer_steph
February 9th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Mark in MD

DAP: We have a "floating cadaver" at our pool. She is a bit ample in girth and uses a snorkel, mask and huge flippers to do her thing. We call her "The Barge" because we thought about playing ring toss on her snorkel. She doesn't like sharing lanes and haven't seen her in a while. Perhaps she got tired of us sharing her lane, passing her doing an IM, fly or whatever.

There's a much older guy than I am whom I see every Saturday morning when I am at the pool to teach kids' lessons. He literally stands in the steam room and shadow boxes buck nekked. Once he's pretty steamed up good and red, he continues outside of the steam room, adjacent to the showers. We're waiting for him to have a coronary or stroke.

You owe me a new flat screen monitor as I just spit Diet Snapple all over mine.

Hysterical! I literally have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard!

Steph

dorothyrde
February 9th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I have been swimming on my lunch, and there is a fellow there I think of as Big Paddle Dude. He uses these huge paddles, bigger than I have ever seen. Then he puts on fins, and swims a wierd backstroke, with the fins almost touching the bottom, and his arms not fully making it up past his shoulders, so he is just kind of skimming the paddles sideways on top of the water. Everytime I see him, I think, ditch the equiptment and work on doing the stroke right..

DAP
February 10th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Tonight at the pool, I saw one of the regular odd characters. He has a strange freestyle where he keeps his elbow constantly straight, never bent, throughout the whole stroke. Must be rough on the shoulders. That style makes a lot of noise and a lot of splash. While I'm swimming, I laugh because without even seeing him, I can hear the rhythmic sound of straight arms smacking the water.

Sonic Swimmer78
February 10th, 2005, 01:19 AM
LOL!! Maybe you can call him "FINbar, The Paddle Boy". As for "Slow-Freestyler", I rarely see him when I swim at the university, so giving the poor guy pointers on his stroke wouldn't be easy to do.

However, since our lovely little pet peeves thread has become somewhat of a Labeling Game, I have names for the POOLS i've swam in, here in town.

The Socorro Aquatic Center - School District Owned aquatics center: a.k.a. "The Funky Teenage STANK-atorium", a.k.a. "El Comino (Spanish for Cumin, not to be confused with Camino, Spanish for Road) Aquatic Center." The men's locker rooms smell SO bad in there, you'd swear someone prepared Mexican Cuisine, with TONS of Cumin added. Pyoo!

The UTEP (University of Texas, El Paso) Swimming and Fitness Center - University Pool and Gym: a.k.a. "University Pool", a.k.a "Adult Swim Aquatic Center", since the majority who swim there are adults.

and lastly, the Fort Bliss Replica Aquatic Center (this is in a military base) a.k.a "THE Olympic Pool" a.k.a "Patriot's Long Course" a.k.a. "Master's Delight".

We've meantioned names for pool goers, what about the pools we swim in? I know most of you have names for the YMCA pools!

"Piece of Work" (just got this from a pool goer at the University, who used to swim at the Y long ago, Yesterday)

Mark in MD
February 10th, 2005, 08:21 AM
You owe me a new flat screen monitor as I just spit Diet Snapple all over mine.

Hysterical! I literally have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard!

Steph Steph ... what I said is true! I guess I will have to give up the flat screen monitor I got for Christmas to replace yours. :( Doesn't yours have a guarantee against Snapple flooding?

Sonic ... maybe you could start a Tex-Mex food stand at El Comino. Maybe some foods like " 'Fly Fajitas," etc. Nothing like having a small business to supplement your swimming needs.

Sonic Swimmer78
February 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking that sounds like a good idea! :p

"Breaststroke Bean Burrito" :lol: Gotta love that alliteration!

...or a bowl of "Freestyle Frijoles Charros"?

:p :p :p :p :p

Guvnah
February 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Kae

Please, if you (generic) do this, ONLY catch the person before s/he starts or after s/he is finished. Don't try to chat when they stop between sets. They're likely watching the clock at these times frantically trying to catch their breath in the 15 seconds before the next send-off. Perhaps counting heartbeats as well.

Otherwise, the person you interrut may come here and express a peeve about "Chatterbox Person" at their pool! :) :)

There is a saying (maybe I should put it in the t-shirt thread): "If you can talk during your workout, you're not working hard enough."

Sonic Swimmer78
February 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
This happened to me yesterday:

I had a GREAT swim... everything was fine, until... ACK!! Right in the shower room, I get the 12 hour stomach flu, which came unannounced and unwelcome like a "TV Mother-in-law" during a Christmas special!

Arrgh! The ride home was terrible, I had motion sickness during the entire trip, and to top it off, I take the bus to the pool...

Not much was done yesterday, since I was in bed, trying to keep my soup and tea in. (I won't go into detail here!)

Luckily, by Eight O'Clock last night, I started feeling better.

Now, I'm just weak from yesterday's episode and hope to regain my strength for tomorrow.

Talk about something swimmers wouldn't want to experience! :p

DAP
February 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I had a GREAT swim... everything was fine, until... ACK!! Right in the shower room, I get the 12 hour stomach flu, which came unannounced and unwelcome like a "TV Mother-in-law" during a Christmas special! I think that a stomach flu would be terrible anywhere. I sometimes wonder what one would do on an airplane if there was a sudden onset of a stomach flu, particularly when they have the fasten seat belt sign on. There's a good probability that it has happened to someone sometime.

On the pet peeve subject... Today I was at the pool, and there was a guy waiting for a lane. I offered to share my lane, which he accepted. He did a few circle swimming laps with me, and when I wasn't looking, he got out and was replaced with a water walker who just hopped in unannounced. So I spent a number of laps dodging the water walker until another lane opened and I moved over. You can't circle swim with a water walker, so you have to keep an eye out for where the walker is.

Matt S
February 13th, 2005, 09:22 PM
This concludes the "Airing of Grievances" for the Festivus 2004-05 Season. The "Trials of Strength" will be conducted on May 19-22 in Ft. Lauderdale.
:p
Matt

Mark in MD
February 14th, 2005, 09:45 AM
There's still a Matt S. around?

Sonic Swimmer78
April 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM
After having a good swim today, I went to the showers to wash up when I get treated to a SHOCK OF COLD water! The water heater must've shut down today because I turned the water dial all the way and still, I was freezing my keister off!

Usually, a nice warm shower is the best part of the end of a good swim, but today was definitely not pleasant.

On another unrelated topic about petpeeves... Almost every time I end a workout, I always get two snacks from the snack machine near the University Pool Facility's exit. I hate it when the snack machine is out of my favorite snack! Arrgh. At least that wasn't the case for me today.

Matt S
April 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Although the webmaster has not formally closed this thread, please be advised to future contributions to it will be subject to marginal humor (my wife would characterize it as very marginal) and ridicule. I have officially declared WHINING threads to be one of my pet peeves

Irrascibly,
Matt

Sonic Swimmer78
April 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Matt,

Didn't mean to strike a chord with you. I was just a little annoyed about the water heater going out last week.

jswim
April 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by tjburk
Being interrupted in the middle of a killer set!!!! You're on a roll... someone leans over and asks....is the pool open for swimming? AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! No, MO - we're swimming here because it's closed. :mad: :D

lol, likewise, I can't stand it when people try and strike up a conversation with you during a workout! i.e. " so did you catch the basketball game last night?" or asking about workouts etc... right when I'm about to push off the wall for another set!
arrrrrgh!

and umm.... eeeeeew, thank goodness I've never seen anyone put their sweaty clothes in the swimsuit dryer!

scwids
September 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
At the risk of being subjected to "marginal" humor! :)

Hate getting all showered and in my suit and walking in to the pool area to find NO WATER IN THE POOL (because I missed the teeny weeny sign posted at the front desk stating the pool is drained for maintenance).

Cheers!

jean sterling
September 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm more prone to complain about water that is too warm than the other way around. However, on a cold day in December - well, I couldn't get out of that water fast enough.

It was windy and the air temperature was in the 50's. I sprinted from the locker room across the cold pool deck and jumped into what I expected to be warm water. Alas, the heater was broken and the water temperature had dropped to the high 60's. What a shocker that was!

swimmerlisa
November 9th, 2006, 11:10 AM
awesome thread!!

lisa's pet peeves:

1. drafters. i cannot stand it when someone in my lane only goes 2 seconds behind me and drafts the entire time. and refuses to pass me, even if I ask. i hate that! 10 seconds behind, people! :frustrated:

2. people who swim butterfly down the center of the lane and refuse to break stroke or do a longer underwater to avoid smashing other swimmers. :dunno:

3. cheaters. there is this one person who gets in the fast lane at my masters practice who insists they can't kick, so they slack and turn around at the flags or halfway down the pool for every lap we do. please, just go on a slower interval! :(

4. People who come to masters practice just to pick up prospective dates. :rolleyes:

5. Small showers. At one of our Y's here, the showers come up to my shoulders. And i'm 5'5! How is that supposed to get my hair clean without bending over? :mad:

6. hocking loogies. gross. :shakeshead:

7. rain that forces the pool to shut down for practice. :eek:

8. people who talk while our coach is giving the set. :blah:

9. water bugs. have you guys seen these things? we had them in the outdoor pool at the O'Dome. They are about the size of your fist and are dark black and swim around with 2 clamper looking things. Scary! :o

10. Getting excited to get in the hot tub after practice and finally getting in and it's not turned on!! :shakeshead:

11. when people look at me and go, "no offense, but are you a swimmer?" and i respond, "yeah, why?" and they reply, "because you have broad shoulders." Why would i take offense to that?

12. People who try to talk during sets with gossip and whatever else. I agree with the above post that if you can talk during practice you're not working hard enough.

newmastersswimmer
November 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I can see where you are coming from in most of those exaples you listed Lisa......but I am still not sure why number 4 bothers you? Do you get hit on a lot at practice perhaps? I say any place is a good place to pick up women right!......(just joking of course....I'm happily married).

Newmastersswimmer

swimmerlisa
November 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
yes, that's why it bothers me. but i can see how you'd think that! swim practice isn't a place to get picked up, is it? i'm usually too tired or too focused to even deal with that! :thhbbb: there is one man on the team who is constantly hitting on the girls 10-15 years younger than him. It's so annoying even the other men have begun saying it bothers them and that he's "creepy"!

The Fortress
November 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
My, this is an old thread. :D

I hate cold showers.

Swimmerlisa's #11 is true. We are not on steroids just because we have broad shoulders. I think men are hitting on you because you are cute with your broad shoulders. But 10-15 years younger? Ugh. They should just work harder.

swim4fitness2
November 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
My pet peeve - I really cant stand it when people do not shower before getting in the pool. There is this one guy I have seen in the locker room come in from the fitness room after lifting weights, running on treadmill or whatever it is that has him soaking wet with sweat. He puts on his big baggy swim trunks and gets in the pool like it's a bathtub. He does not swim he just floats around on his back like he's winding down from his workout.

poolraat
November 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I hate cold showers.
Even lukewarm showers are unacceptable.

Since I work out alone during lap swim, my pet peeve is having to share a lane with someone who swims (slowly) on their back and wanders from lane line to lane line.

SwimStud
November 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
awesome thread!!

lisa's pet peeves:

4. People who come to masters practice just to pick up prospective dates. :rolleyes:

LOL Lisa..I can see that would be annoying, but if they are swimming too perhaps they just looking for someone with same interests?

Anyhow I have the counter peeve to this Lisa: Girls wearing T-back bikinis at an Indoor pool...OK I'm no prude and won't pretend I didn't look, but it is not what I want to see when I am trying to focus on my stroke, lap count and intensity--huge distraction. I don't care how great you look--save it for the beach not at the community Y...am I alone for feeling that this is really inappropriate?

Other Peeve: "next lane racer syndrome" every time they bob-turn they check to see where you are...dude, you're doing crawl, I'm doing breaststroke--you win. Besides you rested for 2 minutes while I keep grinding...I always feel like popping on to crawl and sprinting when I get "clocked."

swimmerlisa
November 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
LOL Rich! I agree with both of your peeves. I had to swim next to a guy last night during rec swim who just kept pushing off whenever I would, take a 50 off, push off with me, repeat annoying cycle. I felt like I had a lackie chasing and mimicking me.

Donna
November 10th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Pool too HOT or COLD. This past summer when we went outside 88 degrees is just too hot. This past month (back at indoor pool) it was down to 72 degrees at one point and out came the wetsuits.

If thats not bad enough the showers were either scalding hot or too cold.

Lastly is people who do not wait 5 seconds between swimmers in a lane.

:blah:
Donna

swimmerlisa
November 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
:agree: agree with all of you.

how about people in your lane who try to modify the set because it's too hard? one man at my practice adjusts the intervals/repeats to something he likes. i avoid his lane as often as i can. why does he get in the fast lane if he can't make it??

born2fly
November 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Sometimes people get in the fast lane because the other lanes with slower pace may be packed with people. If this is case, just do what my coach says. Forget the toe tapping to let them know you are behind them and want to pass, go for the ankles and grab them and pull them under.

greg

aquageek
November 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
:agree: agree with all of you.

how about people in your lane who try to modify the set because it's too hard? one man at my practice adjusts the intervals/repeats to something he likes. i avoid his lane as often as i can. why does he get in the fast lane if he can't make it??

That's a bad one. Next time he pulls this, tell him you aren't altering the interval. Or, better yet, tell him if he wants to alter the interval he can lead and you will go off 3 seconds behind him.

m2tall2
November 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Pools that seem never to have considered the fact that adult competitive swimmers need to practice their starts just like kids do.

Amen to that!

Although, I think I may have remedied this situation on Friday for myself. I happened to be getting in to the pool as the senior age groupers were getting out. I asked the coach about this, and asked if she knew a time when I could occassionally get in some starts. She has politely offered to do starts with me during the last 15 minutes of her age group practice (presumably her age groupers will be doing starts then, too). Now, I am a morning swimmer due to my crazy schedule but will have to show up in the evenings to get some starts in. I'm really excited - I get to start starts tomorrow!

Yay! One small Victory! :woot:

dorianblade
November 26th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Sometimes people get in the fast lane because the other lanes with slower pace may be packed with people. If this is case, just do what my coach says. Forget the toe tapping to let them know you are behind them and want to pass, go for the ankles and grab them and pull them under.

greg

HAAHAHA :notworthy:

SwimStud
November 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
People who do a nice, slow, "monkey, aeroplane, soldier," on their back in the fast lane...well any "lap" lane...that's not swimming...that's lounging...just rest at the shallow end for a breather or get in the open swim with the floral swimming cap brigade!! :shakeshead:

swimshark
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
This might fall in the "what are they doing?!" category but it's also a pet peeve of mine. Our pool opens to the public at 5:30am. I get there some mornings before 4:30 to swim with the age group team. In the parking lot, waiting for the pool to open to the public is a mom and her adult daughter. They sit there waiting for over an hour for the pool to open. And then around 5:20 they stand outside the glass doors leaning on them waiting for them to be unlocked. They do all this to water walk for 15-20 minutes. I just don't get it.

Oh, and there is a back way into the pool which masters sometimes take to go to the bathroom before the pool opens. This mom and her daughter will "turn you in" if you do this, even though you've paid to be there, just like them.

Alison

SwimStud
December 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Struggling with a stomach virus and forcing yourself to go swim...
Getting ejected from an indoor pool halfway through your workout because of lightning and thunder...
Then waiting 30 minutes in the showers in vain hope they re-open....
Finally giving up and leaving to see barely a drop of rain outside and seeing the lighting on the horizon...
:(

I did get a 100 of front crawl in though without too much drowning...50 was a struggle just last week

dorianblade
December 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
people that ask if they can share a line, then pull out their hand pads, snorkel and giant flippers! and do backstroke in the middle of the lane. arrrrggg!

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
When your pool is shut down every weekend in December for USS meets and all your Thursday-Sunday practices are cancelled. As an alternative, your coach informs you that you come to the college team practices at 5:00am. :shakeshead:

poolraat
December 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
When the city pool closes from Thanksgiving to New Years for "maintenance and Cleaning" and every time I drive by no one is there....no pool staff, no contractors, no city maintenance personnel, etc. & etc. Maybe they're working at night?

blainesapprentice
December 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM

They come in, in their neoprene wetsuits, HUGE masks, ...that's right, MASKS, (I hardly call 'em goggles if they're HUGE) and snorkels...

"...Ooh, we're snorkeling... IN A POOL!" Who does that?! I'd understand if it were at a reef where colorful fish dwell... But a Pool?!!

*Speaks in Jacques Gusteau Accent* "Ah yes, wee see ze raire femaile swimmaire in hair beautiful black, red and orange Speedo, swimming ze majestic breaststroke.... Du not get too close, or she'll see you and zen slap you."

GIMMIE A BREAK!!! Snorkeling is for tourists who want to see fish in reefs, not female swimmers in skin tight Speedo's! Oy!

hey hey, we gotta learn somewhere!!! I'm taking my SCUBA licensing class currently, and I am very glad to be in a pool learning how to turn all the gidgets and gadgets on instead of thrown off the back of some boat doing the same!!:laugh2:

So yeah I swim my 10000yards then go to scuba diving class. that pool loves me.

fanstone
December 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I did my first scuba lessons at a resort and the first hour or so were in a pool, shared by water volley-ball players and whatnot. My first lesson: the fatter your are the more weight you will be hauling down the beach to the water, i.e. ten per cent of your weight will be added onto a belt. Once in the water everything evens out, except for you darn oxygen comsumption (I know it is compressed air, I am talking a cellular level). The fatter you are the less time you spend under water with the same bottle as the rest of the gang. Okay, I eventually go to the local pool where I practice, and at noon, when nobody is there, I will put on masks and snorkels and fins and do some leg drills without having to go up for air all the time. I also might use swimming goggles and a snorkel and do some swimming to try and fix my freestyle. Usually in the huge swimming facilities the scuba classes are done in the diving (as in Greg Louganis diving) part of the pool. Pet peeve: my paid health club is open 24 hours every day, except for the swimming pool which closes between Saturday afternoon and early Monday morning to do the chlorine and other stuff they usually do at swimming pools. Oh, it also closes at 9 P.M. billy fanstone

nkfrench
December 7th, 2006, 03:45 PM
When I was diving I would take my SCUBA stuff to a pool just to make sure all the equip worked OK after being in storage, rather than to fly out only to find that something was busted and interfere with my enjoyment of the dive trip.

The certification class I took had a few people who were not strong swimmers and they had problems learning how to clear water from their mask, equalize pressure in their ears, breathe through a snorkel/regulator and get comfortable about swimming. They need to do this while they in a protected environment. Some needed extra pool sessions outside class before they were ready to venture out into open water where they couldn't see the bottom or land, there were waves and currents, plants/animals brushing against you, etc.

I knew a guy that would wear his snorkel and mask into a hot tub and "look". That was creepy.

Got Boost
December 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I realize these may have been covered before but hey it my turn to sound off.

Cheaters, if you want to keep up, swim faster.
Comedians, I don't like jokes before, during and after every set. I am sort of anti social when I swim since I am there to work not goof off.
People who cannot cirlce swim or who say they are but continue down the middle of the lane. I am so conditioned to circle swimming I do it if I am in a lane by myself.

Got Boost

blainesapprentice
December 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Theres actually a guy at my college who swims everyday for the two hour open swim, and he really isnt a pet peeve of mine, but it's just humerous, because he is larger, and not a strong swimmer, but he has such fortitude and he just moves soooo slowly. I can EASILY do a 200kick to every 50 swim he does. But he's pretty good about it, he always takes a wall lane, but it would be impossible for anyone to swim with him if it did get crowded, luckily it doesn't ever, even with only 4lanes. But yeah I totally understand some of these peeves.

Caped Crusader
December 28th, 2006, 10:20 PM
People who don't have to train much to be good and look good.

People who train very little and complain about health problems.

Swimmers who hate triathletes.

People who think they have all the answers and never compromise.

People who don't appreciate inane humor.

:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse::joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

SM-Rocket89
December 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
People who suck at flip turns and either 1) RUN INTO YOU!!! or 2) They don't go anywhere off their turn and I run into THEM because they don't push off right or kick underwater.I'm not good at flipturns myself but thats why I get pissed because I can't work on them when I am running into someone if I properly streamline.

Superfly
December 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Only two:

People who dont let you pass when you touch their feet/toes
People who (loudly) complain about the next workout/seriesOver and out
/Per

FlyQueen
December 29th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I have several including:
People that lie about their times (and lie in general) - when you know you only finished a couple seconds behind your lanemate yet they tell you their time was 10 (or 15) seconds faster ...

People that loaf through workout until the last set then ride your booty ...

People that push off from their flip turns down the middle of the pool or swim down the middle ...

Lanemates that insist I lead IM sets when they know they will catch me easily on breaststroke

Breaststroke

Swimmers that think they know everything about the sport and want to tell you all they know in a condescending manner ...

~Wren~
December 29th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I swim at a health club - the lockers closest to the pool are where the "hiders" like to change, because they are the farthest from anything else. My peeve is when the "hiders" get all snitty about us dripping on the carpet . . . there are 8 other banks of lockers - go find somwhere dry and stop giving me the death glare!

nkfrench
December 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yesterday I tried out a new health club near my house on a guest pass. It sounded so good ... 5 minutes drive, open 5 am to midnight weekdays, 8-8 weekends ... 25 yard pool with laneropes and stripe on the bottom ... promised 82F temp ... hottub ... plus the usual accoutrements of free weights and aerobic equip and weight machines. The fees were reasonable. I was hoping to cancel a membership at another club and join the new place.

It was a little disappointing. The stripe on the bottom of the pool had no "T" at the end and went all the way up to the wall so I almost bonked my head on the first turn. There was nothing on the ceiling / no flags for backstrokers. No pace clock or wall clock with a second hand. I would swear the temps were more like 86F. The laneropes were very loose where they weren't very effective -- and it appeared to be because the pool was actually a little short of 25y long. There were no gutters so it was sloshy. They've handled the "noodler" problem by not allowing lap swimming during the Aqua-Aerobics class "for safety reasons". Happily right now that's only during the day when I'm at work anyhow.

For very little cost, they could have done the tiled stripes correctly, hung either backstroke flags or some ceiling "decoration", and hung a paceclock on the wall. Why do people spend all that money to put in a pool and not do it right for people that actually want to swim in it?

There were a lot of plusses - the lockerrooms were great, everything was clean, and there were large windows so it wasn't like being confined in a box. But I'm really going to have to think about it. I'll take my own portable paceclock and see if I get yelled at for breaking some rule and try it again. :) The worst part is that solitary black-line patrol is just so much less fun than having a coach and teammates.