PDA

View Full Version : Suits

Seagurl51
November 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Once again I have decided to compile several random thoughts into one thread.

1) Does it really help to make your suit last longer if you rinse it out with tap water before you hang it up?

2) How often should you wash your suit? Is once a week to much or not enough? Can I use regular detergent?

3) How much benefit does wearing a drag suit (just like one old one) really give you?

Thanx for all you help!

~Kyra

Scansy
November 12th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I have always rinsed my suit out in the shower when my workout is done - but have never washed it! How dirty could it be?

knelson
November 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
3) How much benefit does wearing a drag suit (just like one old one) really give you?

I think the "dirty little secret" behind drag suits is no one is wearing one for an kind of training benefit. We wear them because we wear our suits until they completely fall apart, and the drag suit provides protection when the other suit becomes see through and/or ripped :)

Seriously.

Look into buying a polyester suit. You'd be amazed how long they last compared to lycra and nylon.

I agree there's not much point in ever washing a suit. Rinsing it out is enough.

ALM
November 12th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I've tried all sorts of things to try to extend the life of my lycra suits. I tried washing it in Woolite in the sink in the locker room after every workout. I tried those crystals that some of the swim shops sell. I tried rinsing it in plain water (again, in the sink in the locker room) after every workout.

I concluded that no matter what I did, I could usually get only about 3 months' wear out of a lycra suit before I had to "double up."

Last year I lucked into a 100%-polyester grab bag suit. I started wearing it at the beginning of February, 2004, and I am still wearing it today. It has not stretched out or faded AT ALL. I do rinse it in clear water in the sink after every workout, but that's all.

And I agree that the "drag factor" of a second suit is negligible. But for preventing the "obscenity factor," a second suit is priceless!

Seagurl51
November 13th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by knelson
I think the "dirty little secret" behind drag suits is no one is wearing one for an kind of training benefit. We wear them because we wear our suits until they completely fall apart, and the drag suit provides protection when the other suit becomes see through and/or ripped :)

Ok. I knew this but wasn't sure if there was some other benefit. I have heard conflicting views. I just got a polyester suit. I love it!

~Kyra

Alicat
November 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Nothing I have done has ever extended the life of a lycra suit. The racing suit was bought at the start of every season and then became a drag suit for the next season.

There used to be --or still maybe, a drag suit that has "pockets" that the water would flow through all over it. I trained with is a few time, a very sadistic training tool if you ask me! I remember wearing old suits as many as 6-8, in practice all in different states of peek-a-boo form --and long lycra running pants -cousin to the nylons worn in practice, for a few seasons. After taking off all the layers I did notice a difference in my times by 1-3 seconds, but I also looked really silly and had probably a few extra pounds of material on me during practice!:p

hooked-on-swimming
November 17th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I think I am going to try polyester next time,cause the last one I had was 80% nylon and 20% lycra -- well, hmm, it got worn out in a MONTH(I guess my swimming on a daily basis did not help either)

Seagurl51
November 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I have a polyester suit (one of those Endurance ones from Speedo) and I love it. I got it about three months ago, have been swimming with it everday and it still acts like it is brand new. It hasn't really strecthed, faded or worn down at all. I love it!! Definatly a worthy investment!

~Kyra

Fishgrrl
November 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Yes, I agree - they are awesome! I've worn one (drum roll please) for over a YEAR and it has not changed!! You could probably drop battery acid on it and it would still be fine. They are totally worth the $60 or $65 bucks, especially since the lycra suits, even when on sale, cost about $35 or $45 bucks (and wear out in three months IF you take care of it!)

:D

hooked-on-swimming
November 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I am more that convinced now that my next hunt will be for polyester jammers.I was wondering though - I heard that they are not as stretchy as nylon/lycra, so how to go about size when buying one online, considering that for my regular clothes I need waist size 32 and last nylon/polyester jammers that I had were pretty snug in size 34?

hooked-on-swimming
November 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Almost forgot ... and where can you find the best deals on the internet?
Thanks

aquageek
November 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I'm a fan of Kiefer and Kast-A-Way, to a lesser extent.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
When my fahter died in 1889, my stepmother asked me if I wanted the old swim suits my fahter had saved. I was amazed. The were from high school in the seventies. I usually got one suit for practice & we got one suit for compettion. Some of the suits were over 10years old. Most looked brand new. They were slightly thicker than suits I buy today but not much real difference. Now I buy at least five suits per year. It is hard to believe that technology has improved suits.

as for deals on the internet, google is the answer. You will find thousands of outlets 7 suppliers. A woman I know looked at Overstock.com. they have a great cheap selection of women's suits. None really for men.

Seagurl51
November 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by hooked-on-swimming
Almost forgot ... and where can you find the best deals on the internet?
Thanks

Speedo seems to be always having a sale on their website, I think right now they are clearing out last seasons stuff so you may be able to find some really good deals. Maybe check that out. They also have a sizing chart for their suits that may help you out in that area. Also try checking your local sports stores, they often have winter sales on suits.

~Kyra