PDA

View Full Version : YAY, it starts!

JC_FLY
November 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
My shcool's swim season starts on monday(also my B-day) but I can't wait! im just curious though, how many of you swam/ or still swim for your high school? and how did you do? I think my best evet is the 50 free. my 50 is about 21 seconds:D

hooked-on-swimming
November 14th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by JC_FLY
[ I think my best evet is the 50 free. my 50 is about 21 seconds:D [/B]

Is that 50 SCY?Otherwise you could break the world record right now.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hey, Hooked,

It sounds like a short course to me. I'd be shocked if it were a long-couse.

"WHOA! Look at him go!!!" *Whoooosh!* :p

Anyway, good luck on your tryouts, JC_FLY! You'll do fine with those (Short-Course?) times.

JC_FLY
November 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM
IDK, 50m freestyle

hooked-on-swimming
November 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Why did we not see you in the Olympics with such time?

Sabretooth Tiger
November 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Dude, the 50 meter free gold medal at the Athens Olympics was won by Gary Hall with a time of 21.93. Eighth place was 22.37. So you're either seriously mistaken or purposefully having a little fun with this forum.

If your time was for short course yards, you'd still probably win the Washington state title. Can we find your meet results on the web?

aquageek
November 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM
JC:

Aren't you the guy last spring who just joined your swim team and was doing 27 or 28 second 50s then got booted from the team for bad grades. Are you that same person?

nyswim
November 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM
good luck-ignore the comments from the peanut gallery-he's a southern lawyer and can't help it.

Sabretooth Tiger
November 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I'd be careful about calling the geekmeister a lawyer . . . for some reason, I think he would take that as an insult . . . but then again, I am a lawyer.

aquageek
November 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
I really wasn't trying to insult. If this is the same guy who has now dropped 5-7 seconds from his 50, I wanted to know the secret.

I'm not a lawyer but am a Southerner. I do drink hot coffee therefore I keep my lawyer friends on speed dial.

dorothyrde
November 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Yes, same guy geek, I would like to know his secret too. My 16 year old son swims 24's and would like to know his secret.

Rob Copeland
November 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Dorothy , I donít know Justinís secret for dropping time. But my 17 year old sonís secret is hard work, lots of hard work, along with dedication, focus and determination to achieve his goals. And while heís not a 50 guy he still goes a 22+ (yards). So tell your son the secret is hard work!

tjburk
November 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Rob, wow, I just put it together, that's Noah right? I've seen him at a lot of meets. Good swimmer!!!!

dorothyrde
November 18th, 2004, 09:13 AM
He knows that and works hard. Freestyle is not his best stroke, back and fly are. Plus his distance is better than his sprint. He grew a lot this year, and is now almost 6 foot. Last week at a little fun Y duel he easily swam 25 after being off for 3 months, so he may see the 22's yet. His 100 and 200 improved a lot last year.

He is really looking for 55's on fly and back this year, and under 2:10 on his 200 fly and back. He was close last year at 2:12's.

Part of it is very late growth. Until this year he was very small and still does not have to shave. Considering that, 24 on the 50, 54 on the 100 and 155 on the 200 are not bad.

Rob Copeland
November 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Tracy, yes Iím Noahís dad. And thanks for the complement; Iím very proud of his accomplishments! As Iím sure are most other swimming parents.

Dorothy, very good times indeed! And much success to your son this season!

dorothyrde
November 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks Rob, he will do what he does, and it lies on his shoulders.

He is very much into Jazz Band, and it is hard to juggle the two. This year when he has a jazz practice that conflicts with swim practice he has been going to open lap swim on his own. I hope it pays off. We shall see in January. He is not doing anything big until then because of the 3 months off for soccer and marching band.

I was surprised at how well he looked racing 2 weeks into practice, so he may have a good year. Last summer it just looked like he could not figure out what to do with his suddenly long limbs! It frustrated him.

dorothyrde
November 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Hey JC, since you started this and we took it over, get back to you. Good luck this year, have fun, study hard. It does not matter where your 50 time is right now, or what you are remembering it as. Just get in the pool, work hard and you will improve. I have always liked your enthusiasm. Keep it up!;)

JC_FLY
November 18th, 2004, 05:20 PM
yeah, I think it is the short course. and last year my time was around 25 senconds. I've lost like 25lbs, and I've been training by butt off to get to where I am. for the last 6 months I am working out 5 times a week. I wake up at 5am and run untill 6. from 6-7 I do yoga with this show on the oxygen channel. during the summer I would workout 2-3times a day. now that school has started I workout 2nd period and after school. So I have been working really hard. it takes me 10 seconds there, then the flip turn, and 10 seconds back. there are no times on the internet because my friend timed me a couple weeks ago. practice started on monday.

dorothyrde
November 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
JC you really have been working hard. Can't wait to see your official times as I am sure they will be down from 25. What will be interesting to see is the 100 time go down. I bet you will see dramatic drops there!

Guvnah
November 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Well, JC, let me tell you about my high school "career" in swimming.

I have always been about as athletic as limp balloon. Couldn't run. (Still can't.) Couldn't jump. (Still can't.) I flunked Red Cross Beginner swimming as a kid...

But eventually I learned to swim enough to get from this end to that end. No technique. No style. but good enough.

So in my freshman year I decided to try out for the swim team. Nobody had faith in me. I had strong doubts myself. The team worked out for about a week before tryouts. To make the team, boys had to do a 50 free (yards) in 32 or less. I did 32.9, but there was still one last slot on the team and they let me join. I got into one meet that year. Swam the 2nd leg of a 4x100 free relay on the B team in a meet that we already had won after the first 4 or 5 events. In practice I was always able to do 100 no problem, but in the heat of battle I went out far too hard on the first 25 and thought I was going to die after 75. I thought of stopping at the 3rd turn, but compelled myself to finish for the sake of the other 3 guys on that relay. I did my leg in 1:24. I could barely climb out of the pool. Afterwards I endured a lot of ribbing for the lousy split, but I didn't care because I was thrilled inside to have finished the event. I was part of the team, and I proved something to myself.

In my sophomore year I got my 100 down to 1:06 and my 50 to about 30 flat. I swam in most meets as the #3 guy when there was a 6-lane pool. (Some of our meets were in 4-lane pools.) I even earned a few points for the team, but not enough to make varsity. (Varsity and JV swan together. To get a varsity letter you had to average at least one 3rd place per meet.)

In my junior year I set a goal of breaking a minute for 100 free. At my first meet that year as I was getting out of the pool after I swam the 100, I heard the timer giving my time to the judges. She was struggling to read the stopwatch. "One-oh-six-point... I can't read this..." At first my heart sank. I thought I had done better than 1:06. But it turns out that I did a 1:00.6, and I knew I was on my way. The first time I broke a minute it was in a meet I should have placed 2nd. But I placed 4th. The milestone event was tainted, even though I had done a personal best and broken an important goal. By the end of that year I was doing in the upper 57s for 100 and upper 27s for the 50. I made varsity that year.

And in my senior year my best was a 55.5 and a 23.9 I was the team's freestyle sprinter. I had my share of wins, but many other teams has guys doing in the 22s for 50 and 52-53 for 100. But I placed third in the 50 free in the conference meet and 4th in the 100. Placed 4rd in the 50 and 5th in the 100 in the county meet. I even was on a qualifying 200 medley relay and 4x100 freestyle relay for the state meet.

Given where I started from, I have never lost pride in what I accomplished over those 4 years. I will be eternally grateful for the coach letting me on the team even though I didn't make the cut time as a freshman. (That was a life-defining decision he made, in retrospect.)

I still can't do anything else athletic, but I can swim. And I do, and I never see myself stopping. At age 46 I can still break a minute (actually 58) for 100 free, and I do in the low 26s for 50. I can't quite match my personal bests in the sprints, but now I do distance events better than I ever could my senior year. I consider the 60+ agers at masters meets to be my role models. I want to be there when I'm 100!

mattson
November 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JC_FLY
from 6-7 I do yoga with this show on the oxygen channel.

Interesting part of your workout. I think people can get so caught up in yardage and weight-lifting, that they forget about stretching (muscle tension) & range of motion. (My high school coaches were fanatic about stretching before and after every workout.)

JC_FLY
November 22nd, 2004, 06:26 PM
well, I'm the only guy that I know personally know that can do the splits. Yoga helps spiritually, your flexibility, and it can help your reach(for swimming), and it can just calm down your day. I highly recommed it for people who are thinking about trying it.:cool: :D