PDA

View Full Version : Men and Swim Caps

Swim44
November 13th, 2004, 11:11 PM
This is a question for the men that use this forum:
I was wondering why at most meets I attend for masters, I notice that it is more often the younger males that wear swim caps for competition? I am in my early twenties, and whenever I get ready for my events at a meet I look around and notice that it's primarily only younger guys that put a cap on for their events. Just curious for some input from other male swimmers if they notice this as well, or if it is just me. I've talked to other guys my age and they seem to agree for the most part for a variety of reasons. Any response is appreciated!

Dave

aquageek
November 14th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Younger men have more hair.

Sonic Swimmer78
November 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM
....Ah, yes. an interesting question.

I myself don't care about wearing swim caps because I don't particularly care for the material pulling my hair or face.

What I usually do is cut my hear at a 1 1/2 inch length... Yeah, I have it very short, but it's a price to pay and I don't seem to mind the look either.

...as for meets: I have yet to attend one that's close by (in the same town I reside in) so that I can compete.

All I know is, when that happens, I might just try shaving my head to see what kind of effect it will have on my swimming. Probably not much there, but it will be an excuse to shave.

Swim44
November 14th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks for reponding!
I personally wear a cap because it makes me feel that much faster in the water, so I guess it's kind of a mental thing. I guess more of the debate is if men in general seem to wear caps at all whether it be for practive or for competition. I wear one for both, it just keeps my hair from getting straw-like.
The topic just intrigued me after showing up at my first masters practice, and I was the only guy out on the deck putting a cap on before jumping in for my workout. I noticed likewise at some of the meets that I go to, where only about 25% of men wear caps, and those that do tend to be younger.

jpjackson76
November 15th, 2004, 07:36 AM
I'm 28 and don't wear a swim cap. Am I getting old?

Dave60625
November 15th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Hey, I'm a Dave too and I wear a swim cap. Maybe you should go around at the next meet and see if all those guys wearing caps are named Dave.

I wear one for pretty much the same reason. My hair is medium length and it tends to get straw-like if I don't wear one.

swimpastor
November 15th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Straw like and green! I'm 51 and I wear a swim cap both at practice and at meets, and my name's not Dave. (Dave's not here!)

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I wear a cap when my hair is long & don't when it is short. I'm forty-six and am told how lucky I 'am to have so much hari. both of my brohters were almost completely bald by the time they got to be 40yrs old. Neither ever swam. It is all genes-or lack thereof!

Darksaber
November 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I'm 48 and use a cap - I wet my hair down before I go to the pool, to try to keep the chlorine out of it....

Allen Stark
November 15th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'm 55 and wear a cap at meets,not in practice, As well as making my head feel slicker it makes it feel more bouyant and faster.

meldyck
November 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I'm 63, shave my head and wear a cap.

Hmmm. No one ever said you had to be smart to be a master's swimmer.

-- mel

hooked-on-swimming
November 16th, 2004, 01:29 AM
I actually thought about it, too.I am one of the very few in the club I swim who wears a cap.I' m 24.My reasons are:
1) I hope it helps to keep the negative effect of chlorine on my hair to the minimum
2)I like the feeling of swimming with a cap(feels fast)
3)I have quite a lot of hair
I think younger people still try to keep as much hair as possible(concerned about the look at that age).Can chlorine lead to receding hair, though?

knelson
November 16th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by hooked-on-swimming
I think younger people still try to keep as much hair as possible(concerned about the look at that age).

I'd say this is true at ANY age. Heck, look at Donald Trump! :D

And, no, chlorine isn't going to make you lose your hair.

dpflyer
November 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I wear a cap in practice and at meets. It also helps keep my hair a natural gray rather than green. At meets it helps keep my goggle straps in place. I wear a silicone cap. I don't like swimming with any air bubble in my cap - makes me feel unbalanced. Of course, some people think me thus anyway.

Guvnah
November 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I'm 46. I've been wearign a cap since my pony-tail days when I was in my early 30s.

Now I have a buzz haircut (perhaps 1/4 inch all around), and I still wear a cap. I just prefer the "feel" with the cap in the water.

On days that I don't wear a cap (such as those days when my cap splits as I am putting it on and I don't want to go back to the locker room to get another) I feel the water surging through my bristly hair, but even more I feel the water grabbing my ears. So I think for me the biggest reason I wear a cap is to keep my ears tight against my head.

Oh, and also, my goggle strap doesn't seem to slip as easily when I wear a cap. (Rubber on rubber. Stays put!)

ced357
November 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
I never wear a cap. Partly because I have a very small head and I have never found a cap that fits me right. I do however, shave my head for big meets, more for superstition than speed.

Swim44
November 17th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I tried the silicone caps, but I just didn't feel like they fit as tight as the latex ones. I just opt for the plain white latex cap at practice, and I wear my team one at meets. Like Guvnah, I also wear it so that it keeps my ears against my head, so I pull it down pretty far to where you can't see any hair (as opposed to wearing it without pulling it down and hair sticks out).

Phil Arcuni
November 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
What little hair I have left is very precious. I wear always wear a cap, and those hairs are brown, not yellow like they were when I was capless.

As for chlorine causing hair loss, the pool I swim in recently had a chemical event of some kind - over chlorinated, bad pH, I don't know. But most of the hair on my arms and legs is now gone -- except for the itch, the easiest shave I have ever done!

I also don't like my ears waggling in the water. I keep thinking I am Dumbo and should 'fly' through the water!

Swim44
November 19th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Another quation for guys out there:
Do you wear your goggle straps on the inside or the outside of you cap?
I personally switch back and forth, at larger meets I would wear them inside my cap, because I wouldn't put on my cap until maybe 10 minutes before my race (it was uncomfortable to have the cap on for hours) At smaller meets that only last an hour or so I just put my cap on in the locker room and don't take it off until the end of the meet, so I just put my goggles over the cap.

Guvnah
November 22nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Always my goggles are outside my cap. I have no particular reason for this. It's just the way I've always done it. Never even tried it the other way.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try it under the cap if I remember...

hooked-on-swimming
November 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil Arcuni
[B

As for chlorine causing hair loss, the pool I swim in recently had a chemical event of some kind - over chlorinated, bad pH, I don't know. But most of the hair on my arms and legs is now gone -- except for the itch, the easiest shave I have ever done!

[/B]

Very good point!I also have almost no hair left on my arms and legs which gets me to think what it can do to the hair on my head, so I wear a cap at all times!

swimbear
December 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Well i have mentioned to my gym about the chlorine smell and burning eyes I have after swimming in pool. They mentioned that they are fixing the problem but I think there is a correlation to this and the hair loss on my arms, chest and legs. Will it Grow back? after the problem is fixed?
THANKS

SLOmmafan
December 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
I generally find caps uncomfortable, and I have a generally "hot head" and it tends to make me feel overheated. I have not really even worn a cap (practice or races) save the occasional relay. I keep my hair rather short generally, but even in high school when I had very long hair (3.5-4 inches) I would generally go without a cap.

hofffam
December 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm 50 and always race with a cap. I assume it is faster than letting the water run through my thick hair. I also feel a bit of bouyancy with a cap. Goggles under the cap....

But never in practice because I'm lazy I suppose.

Doug Adamavich
December 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have worn a cap since College, keeps my hair from getting straw-like and in my eyes. Don't shave my head or do the buzz cut thing either, personal preference I suppose. Have a full head of hair and will when I die, good genetics I suppose :D

Prefer caps that are free for practice, have about a half dozen of them. Use a prototype Speedo Racer Dome(tm) that Ron Johnson developed at big meets.

At practice, wear my Speedo goggles on the outside of the cap. In competition, they go under the Racer Dome(tm). Always use the bungee style quick-adjust straps.

One thing I will say about caps though, you notice hot water more when you wear them. I think its because it traps heat in your head, which is where 50% of your capillaries (sp?) are. So the body can't shed heat through the head when its hot. This is probably not a problem faced by most but it is something to consider in warmer, sunnier climates.

ddunbar
December 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Started wearing a cap in high school. We were some of the last of the long haired generation, only getting the hair cut for State SC and State LC. I noticed that I was tossing my head during breast stroke to get the hair out of my eyes. Put on the cap and the stroke smoothed back out.

Now I keep my hair short enough not to worry about the cap.

Rykno
December 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm 34 and only wear caps in OW swims. during ow practices to get use to it and OW races, because you have to.

for big meets I shave my head.

tjrpatt
December 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
I always train and compete with a cap. I am just used to it.

3strokes
December 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm 65 and have never worn a cap (and don't intend to. At the rate I'm losing my hair, I wouldn't need one to get a cap-effect improvement in speed.)

Steve
December 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I am 57 and race in a cap. I don't care for them in practice.

Allen, you were 59 last year at Mt Hood. How'd you become 55 again? ("I'm 55 and wear a cap at meets,not in practice, ...")

Paul Smith
December 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
What little hair I have left is very precious. I wear always wear a cap, and those hairs are brown, not yellow like they were when I was capless.

I also don't like my ears waggling in the water. I keep thinking I am Dumbo and should 'fly' through the water!

No friggin way....is that "the" Phil Arcuni...back fro the "dead"? Where you been man....we've had to suffer with Geek for humor and out dont's for far to long.

And for the record..have worn a cap in virtually every meet both college and masters but never train with one....

Iwannafly
December 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
No friggin way....is that "the" Phil Arcuni...back fro the "dead"? Where you been man....we've had to suffer with Geek for humor and out dont's for far to long.

And for the record..have worn a cap in virtually every meet both college and masters but never train with one....
Paul, that quote was from November of 2004! I guess you'll have to suffer the Geek's version of dos and don'ts for a while longer.

I wear a cap for meets, mostly because I can't seem to keep my goggles on without wearing a cap over the strap. I also train in one during the winter, when I let my hair grow out, because said hair doesn't get as stringy from the chlorine.

RobbieD
December 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm 27 and I hate wearing a cap, it drives me nuts for reasons I am yet to figure out. Back in high school I had long-ish hair but I wouldn't wear a cap for races. Unfortunately these days I'm bald and it doesn't really matter anyways, I just shave my head. Now I'll only put one on for an open water race because you have to for hey-that-guy-might-be-drowning purposes.

jim clemmons
December 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Allen, you were 59 last year at Mt Hood. How'd you become 55 again? ("I'm 55 and wear a cap at meets,not in practice, ...")

I saw that too and figured Allen had forgotten how to perform math calcs until I realized the post was from a time long, long, long ago and we were all much younger then...:cake:...about that many years ago in fact.

Allen Stark
December 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I am 57 and race in a cap. I don't care for them in practice.

I saw this thread and started scrolling down.Imagine my surprise to discover I was still 55.See,Masters Swimming does keep you young.

Syd
December 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I wear a cap every time I swim. We have to here in Taiwan. All the pools require them. Keeps loose hairs from floating around the pool and clogging up the filters. I thoroughly wet my hair in the shower first (it is also required of everyone to take a shower before getting into the pool - much more hygenic this way) and then put my cap on. I have never had problems with dry hair.

aztimm
December 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I wear a cap every time I swim. We have to here in Taiwan. All the pools require them. Keeps loose hairs from floating around the pool and clogging up the filters. I thoroughly wet my hair in the shower first (it is also required of everyone to take a shower before getting into the pool - much more hygenic this way) and then put my cap on. I have never had problems with dry hair.

When I did a semester in Japan (grad school), back in 1996, some pools in Tokyo also had this rule, but not the Yoyogi Sports Center (which is where I swam most of the time). I cannot stand wearing a cap, it just feels so restrictive on my head. But I had a lycra cap then, and wore that if I 'needed' to (the lycra cap didn't feel as tight as others).

Needless to say, I rarely if ever wear a cap. I just don't like the feeling around my head. I keep my hair pretty short, and have never (in recent memory) had any issues with my hair and swimming.

stillwater
December 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
When in competition I wear the rubber lid. I don't like the feeling from a cap, yet I am faster when wearing one.

I never shower before jumping in a pool.

Redbird Alum
December 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Well i have mentioned to my gym about the chlorine smell and burning eyes I have after swimming in pool. They mentioned that they are fixing the problem but I think there is a correlation to this and the hair loss on my arms, chest and legs. Will it Grow back? after the problem is fixed?
THANKS

I noticed this thread re-started here in 2008 with this question (quoted). I have never experienced hair loss do to chlorine... perhaps there is something else going on in your water?

Mookie
December 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
"Dave's not here" He's very not here, they've got Chong in prison.

So I'm talking to a lady on our USMS team about why she washes her hair before practice, and she says dry hair is like a sponge, so washing it before saturates it with good stuff. That and a cap helps keep it from smelling like a pool. I asked her if she spelled her name, Allison, like the Elvis Costello song, and she says "Who?". She was serious; she had to go home and find it on the internet to listen to.

I'm so old. Merry Christmas.

Goggles ON. Paddles ON. Hair GONE. GO!

stillwater
December 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
If you get a chance to see Cheech and Chong in concert, don't pass it up. They are touring again and are fantastic.

I walked by their green room before a show. The smell made me laugh out loud.

jaegermeister
December 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
A 4 year necro-post! Has to be some sort of record.

Caps have their downside, particularly the hothead effect. But the upside for preserving hair is huge. I've gotten used to them over the last couple of years and would feel strange without one.

SwimStud
December 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM
A 4 year necro-post!

You can't say "necro-post" on here!!!:bolt:

The Fortress
December 27th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You can't say "necro-post" on here!!!:bolt:

What?! I remember Jayhawk saying she liked the necro-post. ;)

I don't think I've ever seen a guy on my team wear a cap at practice ... But I'm not there much, so who knows? lol

SwimStud
December 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a guy on my team wear a cap at practice ... But I'm not there much, so who knows? lol

I hate caps.. I wear for races to keep gogles on...that's all OK once ina while if it get's cold oustide for practice I'll wear one.

srcoyote
December 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I used to wear them back in the day. Following my sabbatical into gluttony and sloth, I re-entered the pool sans cap. I then bought one, but found it aggravating. I will begrudgingly wear one during an OWS event due to the rules, but it comes off before I raise the finish line beer to my lips.

Typhoons Coach
December 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
No cap for practice, but cap for race...

Mookie
December 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM

It's necro-postphilia that you can't say.:)

srcoyote
December 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Is it possible that we have necro-postphiliaphobia?