PDA

View Full Version : Places to swim while visiting NYC!

Harlan
November 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
I am in NYC on bizness November 28 - December 1. Where can I swim near Madison Square Garden? Need something within walking distance please. A "Y" maybe a Masters workout?

I swim with SCAM, Berkeley Masters.

Thanks

Harlan

Please email me if you can.

valhallan
November 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Try www.metroswim.org/clubs.html

The Red Tide has a huge club (two locations). Enjoy your stay.

jim thornton
November 16th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Try the Vanderbilt YMCA, somewhere in midtown--I think on 47th maybe. It costs $10 bucks, and you may have to be a Y member (not sure about this--I am, so it's never been an issue.) Anyhow, the location is great, and the pool is decent enough for a basement pool. Everytime I go to New York, I've been able to get my laps in. (You can also stay there pretty cheap, though the rooms are the size of prison cells.)

jim thornton
November 16th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Just googled the Vandebilt Y. The address:

224 E. 47th St.
New York City, New York 10017, United States

Madison Square Garden is located in Manhattan on Seventh Avenue between 31st and 33rd Streets

I figure if you're in good enough shape to go swimming, you're probably in good enough shape to make this hike on foot. There's probably a subway that would get you close, too.

Good luck

jean sterling
November 16th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by jim thornton
Try the Vanderbilt YMCA, somewhere in midtown--I think on 47th maybe. It costs $10 bucks, and you may have to be a Y member (not sure about this--I am, so it's never been an issue.) Anyhow, the location is great, and the pool is decent enough for a basement pool. Everytime I go to New York, I've been able to get my laps in. (You can also stay there pretty cheap, though the rooms are the size of prison cells.)

When I'm in NYC I swim at the Westside Y on West 63rd street. The charge there is $10, but if you are a Y member you get in free five times.

KenChertoff
November 16th, 2004, 10:52 PM
I don't know of any pools (except maybe small hotel pools) near Madison Square Garden. The closest good pool to that area would be the Vanderbilt Y, that Jim mentioned (their day pass rate is now up to $25, if your not a Y member). The best pool in the city is Asphalt Green AquaCenter on 91st Street and York Avenue (day pass = $20), but that's some distance from MSG.

There are two big Masters clubs that train in Midtown -- the YWCA at Lexington and 53rd Street (Contact Conrad Johnson cjohnson@ywcanyc.org) and Red Tide (my team). As Val noted, we train in two locations in midtown -- Baruch College at 25th Street and Lexington Avenue (about 3/4 mile from MSG) and John Jay College at 58th Street and 10th Avenue. Our drop in rate (if we have room, which we often don't -- our team is quite large and our practices can be crowded) is $15. Contact info@redtidenyc.org.