PDA

View Full Version : turn twist-over after push

hooked-on-swimming
November 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Have you ever seen the way Michael Klim does his dolphin kicks after a push in his freestyle turn?He starts on his back and proceeds dolphin kicking to twist over to finally end on his stomach.So the steps are:back-side-stomach, dolphin kicking all that time.Do you think that is beneficial in any way at all?Looks pretty cool, too.

knelson
November 16th, 2004, 12:21 AM
I just watched the video on swim.ee. Yeah, it's an interesting technique. Most swimmers tend to dip a shoulder coming into the wall so they end up pushing off on their side. Flipping directly onto your back could be faster, I don't know for certain. I expected Klim to spend more time on his side, but he really doesn't. Some swimmers with very good underwater kicks like to kick on their side because then there's no wave action coming from the water surface or the bottom of the pool.

hooked-on-swimming
November 16th, 2004, 01:15 AM
I tried it today myself and it is actually even easier for me to do it like that than the regular way, I have no clue why.I kinda thought about it and figured maybe it is better like that because you don't spend any time or effort to end up on your side and just do a somersault and - oof you go on your back.Plus it kinda gives me more chance to work my dolphin kick, too, I think. I used to have a lot of problem dolphin kicking on my stomach after a push-off and am still not very comfortable, but that technique just came so natural ... I was very surprised.Wonder why...

shark
November 16th, 2004, 09:27 AM
All the turn is is a change of direction. How fast can you change direction? The faster you can get off the wall, the faster your times will be. The slowest position in swimming is when you have both of your legs out of the water in the freestyle turn. If you roll your body during this position, you are actually slowing down the slowest position in swimming. You can push off the wall faster than you can swim. Use it to your advantage. The fastest turners are the ones that: 1. push off on their backs 2. kick to their sides 3. pull with the bottom arm, the arm closest to the bottom of the pool- this will turn you to your stomach 4. take one stroke before you breath to prevent the lane wave from smacking you in the head. By using this turn you are not wasting any energy in changing direction and turning to your stomach to continue in the opposite direction. IMO.