PDA

View Full Version : Skiing to lose weight and get tone

BohemianChris
November 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I was once a swimmer before my depression hit and was placed in a place I could not swim. I was under a lot of medication and got fat from the result. Now I am off all and I feel great and I have a huge desire to lose the weight and get fit again.

Okay, so I am looking for swimming advice. I am six foot two and weigh 260. I am a large build. Please, someone give me advice, I am ready once again.

It is a wonderful feeling : )

Chris

Rob Copeland
November 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM
My simple advice is to swim!

Find a Masters program in your area or swim on your own. Just swim!

BohemianChris
November 16th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I donīt really have the money to join. I am only seventeen and my family isnīt too supportive of me. I am looking for a swim routine.

Chris

Old Flyer
December 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Go to a pool. Swim 500 yds (usually 20 lengths). Take your pulse to check your heart rate. Swim another 500 yards or as far as you can go. Get out and stretch.

Come back to the pool tomorrow or the next day. Repeat above, only add 100 yards to your swim.

Do this 10 times, adding 100 yards each time.

BohemianChris
December 2nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Any particular strokes?

Chris

Old Flyer
December 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Try to do all freestyle. If you need to switch to breast or back.

old dog
December 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Start out ez. 50's [yards] on a minute or so to start...just keep going
and keep your heart rate in an aerobic range---like 120 - 140
beats per minutes...add or subtract to your interval so you can go
20 minutes, then 30 min, then 40 etc without stopping while keeping your heart beat within that range.... watch your calories as
you eat...if you burn more calories swimming than you eat [say 900calories per hour swimming}, you
will loose weight.