PDA

View Full Version : New to Swimming

viper10139
November 16th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Ok, here is some info, I am 23 years old, I am 6'3 and I weigh 185 pounds. I have been actively working out for the past 4 years, and I started out at 140, so I have worked out very hard to get to where I want to be. Now I am just TERRIFIED of water, I have never took swimming lessons at all. I have tried like 5-6 times and was unsucessful, last time I got in the water and it got over my head, I had a panic attack.

However I have been dating this super great athelete, and she is one awesome woman. I love her to death, she works hard and she is really good at what she does. She swims for UT, she was heavily recruited. However she is a breaststroker, and very good at it I must say. I went to 2 meets earlier in the season, and she did very well, and WOW those girls put in a lot of time, at least 4 hours of practice a day,and then weights after that. They work hard, more info can be found here!!

http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-swim/mtt/clay_tiffany00.html

Now she has agreed to teach me how to swim, but I am so scared of the water, I am just scared of drowning...I know I know she is not going to let that happen, or the lifeguard either. But I have everything ready.....goggles and nose clip, and I know this is crazy, but I can swim underwater, but not on top of water. But we will see how things go. I am really looking into swimming to help me get better physically and its so healthy for you as well.

Any ideas or suggestions that could help me come over my fear of the water would be greatly appreciate, we are taking off to the pool tommorrow, so I was just curious, is there anything that I can do to help my self and better myself and to mentally prepare myself for this experience. I just don't want to look like a moron that is 23 and don't know how to swim, Its very embarrassing!!

thanks,

P.S. This board rocks!!!

-Viper

scyfreestyler
November 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
I would say lose the nose clip. On a positive note, swimming underwater is faster than above water so you have something on your side. j/k!! Just try to remain relaxed and try to be as aerodynamic as possible. Think long and sleek. Concentrate on form and fluidity and speed will come naturally.

viper10139
November 16th, 2004, 01:16 PM
ok cool thanks for that reply, I really do appreciate the postive feedback here. So far so good, and I am just a beginner and I thought the nose clip would help me from getting water up my nose( I just want to get discouraged and that would help me to get by that) I realize that some water is going to be there, but just not a a lot. Thanks again!!

Seagurl51
November 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Take it slow. Don't worry about feeling like an idiot (I know easier said than done), but just remember the fact that you are doing something that you want. Stay in the shallow end and work on just being comfortable in the water. When you feel like your ready, start putting your face in and blowing bubbles. Work your comfort zone up slowly. You'll be swimming in no time!!

~Kyra

bckstrker
November 16th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hi - I agree with the preivous post about getting rid of the nose clip - that may have contributed to your feelings of panic.
It looks like your friend is a terrific swimmer and I think it's great that you want to learn how to swim!:) Have you considered checking out your local YMCA where they may offer adult swimming lessons and possibly even a TOW (terrified of water) class? Maybe you will be under less pressure to learn when you are under the guidance of a "neutral" person. Just a thought:D
Good luck!
Heidi

Leonard Jansen
November 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by viper10139
I just don't want to look like a moron that is 23 and don't know how to swim, Its very embarrassing!!

Viper -

I didn't learn to swim until I was 39, so not to worry, you can do it.

Uncle Leonard's dating advice to the lovelorn(tm):
Turn your "weakness" to your advantage, grasshopper.
Your quote above shows that you are "thinking like a guy" too much. Don't be worried about what it looks like. In fact, this can work to your advantage since she is helping you and this is something that you two can share. Be positive/upbeat about trying to learn to swim - she's taking her time and swimming is something that is obviously important to her. Furthermore, you can show your gratitude for her help in some small way, like taking her for coffee after or, if this relation has progressed a bit farther, a small bouquet of flowers (or a single rose if you are a student and $ is tight.) She'll remember the appreciation and the time spent together long after she's forgotten that you used to look like a drowning victim.

-LBJ

knelson
November 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I agree with Heidi that it's probably a good idea to takes some lessons from a professional, rather than your gf. Even if your gf is a great teacher things can go bad in these kind of situations.

Yardbird
November 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Viper,

There is an important element in learning to swim, and it is called "readiness." You do not sound like you are ready to learn to swim. You need to learn to be comfortable in the water first! If your girfriend does not understand that, she may try to teach you skills that you simply are not ready to grasp.

I would say these are some of the skills that you need to master in order to develop a comfort level that will allow you to learn to swim:

floating on back
floating on front
gliding
rhythmic breathing

All of these in water that is not over your head.

As said already, there may be programs in your area designed for "terrified of water" adults. Trying to learn to swim before you overcome the fear may set you back even more!

Good luck!

viper10139
November 16th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Leonard for the reply however, I KNELSON, I don't know, my GF and I are great, we have been dating for 5 months, and nothing can go wrong, damn she is a college athelete and is damn good at what she does, she is very experienced, and more qualified than some profesional IMO, however I know that she will not make me do anything that I don't want to do either, or push me to hard. but thanks for the concern, I fully trust her than anybody!!

hooked-on-swimming
November 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Do not worry about looking like an idiot, one day people will ask you how long you have been swimming and will be amazed at your level considering little experience.Besides one day you started lifting and probably thought the same.I "made friends" with swimming 3.5 -4 months ago(I weightlifted for 5 years prior to that, so I know how you feel) and already some people are asking me if I compete for school or have been swimming for a while(well, I swim every day ,sometimes twice a day, too).And you know what?The very beginning is the most rewarding period - you will see some tremendous results right away - very encouraging. There's one thing you might dislike though if you get into swimmig seriously after weightlifting.If you were like me who thought about nothing but gaining muscle weight for 5 years, ate like crazy(5-6 times a day) and achieved pretty respectful bulk of muscles, you should be ready to put up with dropping some weight if you swim a lot, that's what happened to me.But instead of 6-pack that I used to have, mine transformed into an 8-pack(I am not kidding).Those muscles that you have will look rock solid!!!Trust me.
So welcome to the water!

newmastersswimmer
November 16th, 2004, 07:37 PM
It's nice to read postings from a fellow Volunteer! I went to Grad School at U.T.K. from 1995 - 2001.....I was at the Florida Game in 98 when we won the National Championship in football and stormed the field after beating Florida......I also swam briefly with the Prime Time Masters Swim Team there in Knoxville about 4 years ago....I had to quit b/c I had so much school work that I couldn't find time to do both. I am behind you 100% Viper!....I wish you the very best of luck with this....You can do it....Mind over Matter....You can do anything you put your mind to!...... I also wish your gf the best of luck too with her college swimming career...I love the lady vols.....especially the lady vols swim team!

newmastersswimmer