PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Problem still not answered

msgrupp
November 17th, 2004, 08:41 PM
While the front page of this site talks about the new publication for members of USMS--what about those of us who are NOT USMS members (no chapters really near me and I'm already injured) and would like to pay (cash!!!) for the individual subscription?

I was able to subscribe to Swim without becoming a USMS member (I was a Y-Masters swimmer at the time) and would like to continue reading a publication devoted to adult swimming. It doesn't seem like Swim's publisher is going to do that. I don't want a magazine that covers age-groupers to college to adults!!!

While it won't help increase the membership in USMS---there are those of us who would pay for just the magazine. No obligation from USMS--just the subscription!!!

Bill Volckening
November 17th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Hello,

Thank you very much for your question. Your interest in receiving USMS SWIMMER Magazine is greatly appreciated!

USMS has been very busy behind the scenes, and we are in the process of establishing all the details for non-member subscriptions. We plan to have an area on this web site devoted to the magazine. This area will include information about how you can subscribe. We also plan to have a phone contact and printed information for those who do not have access to the internet.

So, to answer the question, YES!! Everyone is welcome to subscribe to USMS SWIMMER Magazine.

PLEASE NOTE: current USMS Members will receive the magazine at no additional cost, as long as their USMS registration is up to date.

We hope to have a lot more information in time for the New Year. The first issue of USMS SWIMMER Magazine will be released in March, 2005. We will make sure to release more details as soon as they become available.

Thanks again for your question, and for your interest in receiving USMS SWIMMER Magazine.

Best Wishes,
Bill Volckening
USMS National Publication Coordinator

ALM
November 17th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Well, that's an interesting dilemma. Because the "USMS Swimmer" magazine will be owned by USMS, and published by a contract publisher, it will not be sold on newsstands.

I would suggest that you join USMS, even if you don't have a team near you. There are MANY, MANY USMS-registered swimmers who do not swim with a team. There are also many who never swim in meets.

The cost of a year's membership to USMS will be a few dollars more than what you were paying for your SWIM-only subscription, but it will include a magazine geared strictly toward adult swimmers.

In addition, your USMS membership fees will help pay for things such as this web site. I see that you are an active user of our Discussion Forums. As you can imagine, it costs USMS a significant amount of money to provide and maintain this web site. Your USMS dues would help ensure that we can continue to provide these Discussion Forums as well as weekly workouts and other resources.

It sounds like your only other choice is to subscribe to the new "SWIM-Swimming World-Swimming Technique" combo magazine, but as you said, it won't be focused solely on adult swimmers.

If I'm reading my rule book correctly, I believe you reside in the Allegheny Mountain LMSC. We have a brand-new Registrar in Allegheny Mountain. If you're interested in joining USMS, please e-mail me directly at: RegChair [AT]usms[DOT]org and I will send you his address.

~~~~/\o
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anna Lea Roof
Chairman, USMS Registration Committee

ALM
November 17th, 2004, 11:38 PM
I guess I spoke too soon. I was typing my reply at the same time that Bill was...

I hope you'll still consider joining USMS. Just let me know if you're interested.

~~~~/\o
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anna Lea Roof
Chairman, USMS Registration Committee

Saynomre
November 18th, 2004, 06:59 AM
There is a difference between a Y-Masters membership and USMS membership?

Rob Copeland
November 18th, 2004, 08:37 AM
USMS membership is membership in United States Masters Swimming, the world (FINA) recognized national governing body for Masters Swimming in the USA. Membership in USMS provides swimmers with a number of products and services which are defined throughout the USMS web site and through other channels.

Y-Masters would be a designation from the YMCA. I have no clue what this provides over and above normal YMCA membership. Maybe someone out there can explain this.

Sabretooth Tiger
November 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM
My understanding is that a Y Masters swimmer is a member of their local YMCA and participates on that Y's Masters swim team. There is not, to my knowledge, a national Y membership system that is similar to USMS.

I speak from my ancient experience as a YMCA professional (30 years ago) and as a current member of my local Y Board of Managers.

carl