PDA

View Full Version : Vipers' First Lesson

viper10139
November 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
OK I know I am a beginner, and I took everyones advice and got a professional, one of the best around. My lesson was from 10-noon, but it ran over to 12:30, one of the best 2 hours of my life. The first 30 minutes I was scared to death, pouring water over my head with a rain bucket.(Not my finest hour) However it got better after that, I couldn't breathe very well.

So we tried some goggles, and I did ok with those, I am going to have to work on my breathing, and we did a lot of breathing exercises to fix that. Thats going to take time, then he gave me a mask to put on that fitted around my eyes and my nose. And Presto I was able to do almost everything he asked me to do.

Back float, looked very hard, however in about 20 minutes of him supporting me and telling me what to do and everything, I was able to do the back float on my own. I was so excited, we started off using kick boards, just to get my body used to the water. Then he took them away from me...but I learned that..it was so cool.

Then I swam under water, then he showed me how to swim on top of water, by just doing the movements with my arms, and learning that for muscle memory, then I put my mask ok and started kicking and then moving my arms and I was swimming from one end of the pool to the other. I was so excited!!!

However he said for me doing weight training all the time, he said that I had a good body to be a swimmer. LOL..yeah right..but he said that for me to come back tommorrow and he will teach me some more for free.. Cause He is going to Hong Kong and Thailand for a month, so he wants to get me in there to learn as much as possible before he leaves.

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for the most sincere and encouraging comments. I love this board and the people that are memebers here. You people have just accepted me in without even knowing me and I respect that. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all!!

P.S. Was this weird? I didn't want to get out of the pool, I wanted to continue to practice?

-Viper

Seagurl51
November 20th, 2004, 02:25 PM
That is way cool!! Much congratulations on your progress!! As for not wanting to get out of the pool...nope, that's totally normal. Especially after a good session!! I hate having to leave the water when I'm having a good day....(especially when it's to go to class:mad: !, but that's besides the point) Keep up your hard work, you certainly have the determination! You'll be swimming laps in no time!! Who knows, maybe we'll even see you at a meet somewhere in the future!?! GOOD LUCK!!!

~Kyra

Scansy
November 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM
You'll be doing 30x100@1:20 in no time!

viper10139
November 20th, 2004, 04:19 PM
LOL, well thanks...but I know that will be a while, I am just so excited about learning, I can't wait. I am trying my best, and I am not going to give up. I can't wait until tommorrow will be my last lesson, until he comes back. I just want to be able to learn to swim well and hopefully with just goggles one day. But thanks for the support.

-Viper

laineybug
November 20th, 2004, 05:03 PM
when a coach/trainer and a swimmer click the time flies by and neither wants the session to end. It happened with me and the coach I worked with for a while. From what I understand coaches/trainers enjoy working with a willing swimmer as much as the student enjoys working with a good teacher. As for getting out of the water, I get out when the guard says the pool is closing for the evening.

dorothyrde
November 20th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Whooohoooo, it sounds like you found a great teacher for you and you are on your way to being a swimmer. I am really happy this worked out for you, congratulations!!

Scansy, I want to be able to 30*100 on 1:20!!

thisgirl13
November 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Congratulations, Viper! It's definitely a good sign that you didn't want to get out of the water....swimming gets under your skin, becomes a part of you....pretty soon, your whole day will be off if you don't get to swim.

You're very brave, doing everything you can to overcome a big fear to do something you really want to do. *applause* BRAVO!

You're also right about all the people on these boards. They're the best, like a little (big) family. And I say that from the receiving end, having been a newcomer not so long ago.

So welcome to the wonderful world of swimming. Enjoy it, man.

Scansy
November 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
Whooohoooo, it sounds like you found a great teacher for you and you are on your way to being a swimmer. I am really happy this worked out for you, congratulations!!

Scansy, I want to be able to 30*100 on 1:20!!

Me too. I'm more like 30x100@1:50

dorothyrde
November 21st, 2004, 06:54 AM
On a good day I good probably do 1:45, but would get bored first!

Scansy
November 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM
I hear the boredom thing. My favorite workouts are ones that have all strokes. My favorite swim is 200 IM.

dorothyrde
November 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM
I hear ya on the 200 IM, all freestyle workouts, though necessary at times are really boring to me. Make me swim a 1650, just shoot me first!

Actually I have a deal with my 11 year old daughter. If she swims a 500 at a meet for the first time, I will sign up for a 1000 at the March Masters meet that is close. I told her she could come and be my counter. She said it was a deal(what have I gotten myself into?).

laineybug
November 21st, 2004, 11:26 AM
last Spring my granddaughter's coach entered her into a 100 free (she was only 5 at the time) and she completed it, so we were very proud. But when she got out of the pool she put her hands on her hips and said to her coach, "I'm NEVER going to swim a 100 again!" This fall, she has been swimming 100s and 100 IMs. When asked what her favorite event is, she says the 100s because she gets to swim more. LOL, it is all in your perspective.

newmastersswimmer
November 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Congrats Viper!.....It sounds so exciting to hear how you have progressed in such a short period....I am very happy for you!....It's great to hear about a new swimmer finding his (or her) love for the water for the first time (and overcoming the obstacles of learning to swim!!).....It's very inspiring for all of us to hear about your progress!!....Keep up the good work!

And Scansy.....How about 40 100's on the 1:10?? ...or the 1:05?? (Not me!!....but is it impossible for us to accomplish something like this someday??...afterall who would have predicted the Steelers would do this well??....just kidding of course!)....One can only dream!

newmastersswimmer

Scansy
November 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Not I....

I don't do 40x100@1:05!
AND
I didn't predict the Steelers would be this good! (But I am glad they are.)

bckstrker
November 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Congratulations, Viper! Sounds like you are well on your way to participating in the greatest sport there is! Good job:D