PDA

View Full Version : Why can't i breath?

spintwo
November 22nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
On the backstroke alone, I have a tendency to kick up a lot of water on my upstrokes, tossing a lot of water into my breathing area, restricting the amount of air i get. How do I fix this?

Secondly, in the IMs, I tend to calm down my arms, resulting in minimized water tossing, but I can't breath at all? WTF? What can i do to fix that?
-----
On a side topic, I swam semi-competiveively about at 9 years old for about a year, which i didn't take very seriously.

Now, I'm 14, and beginnin to get seriosu about it, with school practicie just starting. We had our first time trials today nad I got a 41 on the backstroke (my best time out of the 50s on all strokes). Is that any good? Worth some attention and nurturing?

Seagurl51
November 23rd, 2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by spintwo
On the backstroke alone, I have a tendency to kick up a lot of water on my upstrokes, tossing a lot of water into my breathing area, restricting the amount of air i get. How do I fix this?

-----

Now, I'm 14, and beginnin to get seriosu about it, with school practicie just starting. We had our first time trials today nad I got a 41 on the backstroke (my best time out of the 50s on all strokes). Is that any good? Worth some attention and nurturing?

I used to have the same problem. Make sure your head is in the right position, firstly and that should help. Second, make sure your hands are leaving and entering the correct way. I learned it as out with the thumb and in with the pinky so that you don't slap on the water, or pull your whole hand out and bring all that water with it. Ask your coach and he/she should be able to tell you what you need to fix.

As far as your time goes, it seems like lower 30's for a 50 of backstroke is the normal qualifying time for most meets. But don't worry, once you get your technique down the speed will come. I have almost the exact same time as you (I get about a 42), but it is slowly starting to come down and my technique improves.

GOOD LUCK!!

~Kyra

USMSarah
November 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Backstroke is a great stroke to swim, considering you get to breathe most of your race since you're on your back. However, I understand the splashing in the face problem. Once you have your technique set, the splash will not be a factor. Right now, you could just be riding too deep in the water. I've been a backstroker since I was about 14... it feels so natural to me so I'll give you as many tips as I can.

-I usually do not breathe out of my nose on backstroke... if you can't stand the water getting in your nose, breathe through your mouth and when water splashes in, spit the water out. Some swimmers get noseplugs for backstroke races.
-Keep your head back and don't let it move.
-Keep your hips up!
-Kick, kick, kick... it'll keep your body up!
-Don't forget to work hard on your body rotation... this is so important!

I agree with the previous post, the low 30's are a good place to be to qualify for bigger meets... you are young and have lots of time to get better... work on technique at practice. Once you are faster, your body will ride in the water more efficiently and the splashing will not bother you. I think you said that you were 14... so you're either in 8th grade or high school... what I can tell you from being through that (a little while ago)... is have lots of fun.