PDA

View Full Version : start of season

StcSwimmer06
November 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Well the start of the highschool swim season was like 2 weeks ago.We have our first meet the 30th....and im very nervous. Other than that...our coach has had us do just about every practice with fins...the whole time....i had this same problem lasdt year but it was toward the end of the seasopn and everyone was getting lazy.I swim the 500.He has us working a sprint practice.Is there any possible way the using fins the whole practice and doping a sprint work out could possibly help me with the 500? i have asked him for a distance workout to do and he got one and had the whole team do it one night but that was about it. Im at a loss. any advice?

EyeoreSAM
November 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think that doing a sprint workout is good, but not for every practice. You should be doing some distance work as well. When I used to swim in high school the coaches always used to begin with overdistance and technique work and add sprinting in after conditioning and technique was better. Just my experience though.

Rob Copeland
November 23rd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Amy,

The good news is that all workouts will help!

If High School swimming in Ohio is anything like here in Georgia, the lanes are overcrowded, there is a poor coach to swimmer ratio, some swimmers need lots of technical help (stroke wise), and a lot of the swimmers are not in terrific swimming shape. If this is the case it may be tough to get in many distance sets or even have the coach set-up a distance lane. But, it canít hurt to see if there could be a distance lane for a couple of practices each week. If that doesnít work, you could always hit the pool on your own to get in some bonus swimming, where you could get in your own personal distance workout.

And, GOOD LUCK with the meet next week!

StcSwimmer06
November 23rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
thanks sooo much for the encouragement!!!.... I am still dripping from practice(well at least my hair is anyway, the rest fo me dries off on the 20 min drive home, lol) Rob, you were right everything you said about swimming in Georgia is true about swimming in Ohio. I got some critisim from my coach tonight about not using fins, some of the others on the team agreed with me but didnt want to part with their fins, i think i will prolley use them aobut everyother night. thats all i can think to do....and i will prolley get in some distance workouts over the weekend to get ready for the meet. I really appricate all the encouragement :-D

mattson
November 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM
My thoughts from my high school practices (when we weren't fighting sabre-tooth tigers and drawing on cave walls ;) )...

My team had 2 lanes each for distance, stroke, and sprint. The yardage (by mid-season) boiled down to 8000, 6.5K, and 5K, respectively. At the same time, the workouts were similiar: a set of speed work (broken or straight 100s and 200s), alternating with a few sets of drills/kicks/off-stroke for recovery. There are a lot of ways to have a "sprint practice", it might help if you provided some details.

Using fins (occasionally) should help. It definitely works my legs more, and you'll work on your streamline more as your speed goes up. I don't see the advantage of using them the entire practice. It may throw off your stroke, since you don't use fins at meets. The 500 will use less of your legs than the sprints will. (Although, I had people asking me how I could do a 6-beat kick during the 500. :D ) Also, turns are an easy way to drop time in the 500, and wearing fins will affect the way you do your flip turn.

My 10 cents. (And give it about that much weight when you think about it.)

knelson
November 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
No high school coach is going to be real distance based since the high school order of events is so sprint oriented. Heck, even the 500 is more a middle distance event than a true distance event.

Using fins for the entire workout does seem a little excessive, but there could be a method to his madness. Why not ask him? My guess is he's trying to get everyone's legs in shape early in the season then he'll back off on the fin usage.

I agree high school practices can be, shall we say, interesting. We usually had around 20 guys on the team at my high school. We had a four lane pool with diving practice going on at the same time. Yeah, it was a little crowded :)