PDA

View Full Version : ankle snap

hooked-on-swimming
November 26th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I heard about the importance of an ankle snap in breaststroke kick.I was wondering what exactly that is and how it is performed.
Any ideas?

Allen Stark
November 27th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I think I have this straight. At the beginning of breaststroke kick your ankles are extremely externally rotated. At the end of the kick they are extremely internally rotated. The ankle snap is vigorously internally rotating from th externally rotated position instead of letting them move more gradually. This is easier to feel than to visualize. When you do your kick think of snapping your ankles in as you sweep your feet down.

AnnG
November 28th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Just make sure you are doing an ankle snap and not a dolphin kick, there is a lot of discussion about Kitajimas "ankle snap" at the end of his breaststroke pull-out.

breastroker
November 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
The ankle snap is where the feet go from pointing outwards to where the soles of the feet actually clap together. I will never forget John Moffet telling me he could bruise his feet on the ankle snap.

Basically it is the finishing touch, the soles of the feet are first moved by the larger leg muscles, the ankle snap accelerates the water at the end of each kick.

Kitijama has a great legal breaststroke stroke and one of the best ankle snaps ever.

Where he cheated was during the first part of each underwater stroke, long before (at 2.4 sec) the legs kick the body to the waters surface (about 5 sec). Please do not confuse the ankle snap with a downwards dolphin kick, which is what Kitijama does.

Also a upwards dolphin kick is legal:D

jim clemmons
November 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Roque Santos refers to the "snap" as like "clapping the bottoms of your feet together".

Those last couple of inches are tough to get in the habit of completing, but attainable.

Jim