PDA

View Full Version : USMS Meets

USMSarah
November 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Hi there everyone. I have been back in the water for about a month now, and I am considering competing again probably in January.

My question is... what are masters meets like? Are they similar to USS, H.S., or college meets?

Thanks!

Sarah:D

dorothyrde
November 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I have never been to a college meet, but Masters meets seem much more laid back then USS and HS. If someone needs a rest, they take a rest. If someone needs help getting out of the pool, they help and wait. There is no rushing through to get done by a certain time, at least it seems that way to me. Plus everyone is very nice and friendly and there is just a sense of fun in the air.

I don't feel that at the age group meets. Too many swim parents lecturing their kids and being uptight about getting that next cut.

aquageek
November 27th, 2004, 02:17 PM
They are very similar to the Olympic Trials, only faster and longer.

jpjackson76
November 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM
In Michigan they are pretty laid back, very enjoyable for myself.

AnnG
November 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Don't listen to Aquageek - he is kidding! I swam age group and college and I have to say that swimming masters is the most fun. Swim whatever event(s) you want to, put in a reasonable time so you are in a heat with similar-speed swimmers, and do the swims for yourself. One thing to remember is at masters meets, there is no waiting for you on the block, get your heat sheets when you arrive, check your events for your heat and lane, then its up to you to show up! We are all adults and they expect you to keep track of yourself. I think everyone has gotten caught on the other side of the pool watching their heat start with an empty lane. I have been known to revert back to the age group practice of writing my events on my hand!