PDA

View Full Version : excitement

hooked-on-swimming
November 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I by no means am trying to boast or anything of a kind(besides, my times are not something to brag about), but I just wanted to share my excitement with everyone here, since only people here can ubnderstand waht that means(I do not have swimmer friends unfortunately).Today is the MOST WONDERFUL DAY of my life.Since I started swimming 4 months ago I steadily have been improving up until about 3 weeks ago when I got stuck on 1:20 for 100 m(not yards) freestyle, it was very frustrating to think that I probably hit one of the plateaus, come on - at 1:20?what is it going to take to bring it to a minute per 100?.Anyways, I was not moving anywhere with my times, so So I just stopped timing myself and decided to add another stroke to my repertoire - breaststroke(yeah, I know I am pretty pathetic, I could only swim freestyle then).So I started swimming breaststroke, still working on my freestyle, too.My breaststroke improved dramatically in 3 weeks - instead of 15 strokes per lengh(25m ) when I started I now take solid 9, but my times still leave much to be desired although they improved a lot.So 3 weeks later, today, I decided to overcome my fear of knowing that I am still stuck where I was on my 100m freestyle(this is how I judge my performance usually) and as pathetic as before, so I pulled ot my watch and swam on(I always time myself from a push start) and At the end of the 100m I could not believe what I saw - 1:11.97!!!I was shocked, but that was the most pleasant shock I have had for a long time!!!I do not know if breasstroke contributed to a better performance in freestyle or the first snow we got today in Minneapolis :))) but I am SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY, I feel on top of the world today and just wanted to share it with somebody, since noone else I know would appreciate it that much as wonderful people here.
I know that for some people here my time is laughable and miniscule and would be a big down-grade, but for me at this stage it is the dream come true, considering I have been only swimming for 4 months(btw, I am 24, 6'1'', 162-165lb).
I LOVE SWIMMING - IT MAKES ME HAPPY :-)))

dorothyrde
November 27th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I don't think it's pathetic, I think it's GREAT!!! Good job, I cannot swim 100 yards in 1:11, so congrats!

jpjackson76
November 28th, 2004, 08:04 AM
That is awesome hooked-on! I don't think anybody here believes it's bragging either. Just think how fast you will be when you add butterfly to your swimming.

I know your feeling of excitment, yesterday I swam 300m of butttferfly(not straight), of my 1600m workout. I was pumped that's the most fly distance I've completed in 10 years. And my shoulder did't hurt after my workout. I've had to cut back on my distances because of an aching shoulder.

newmastersswimmer
November 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Congrats Hooked On! That's a very respectable time....especially for a begginner. You must be a natural that's for sure.

newmastersswimmer

AnnG
November 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hooyaa! Whoop whoop! High fives for you buddy - that is a great breakthrough and you deserve to be stoked. Everybody hits those plateaus and they are quite frustrating, but you persevered and broke through. Achieving those goals for yourself are what this sport is good for - job well done, keep it up!

Tarzan
November 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Good job!

We all need to set goals in our swimming no matter what level we are. Goals are essential to swimming I think so that we are consistantly shooting for improvement.

USMSarah
November 28th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Congrats, Hooked-On-Swimming!

It's awesome to have such a huge drop in time, isn't it? It will be interesting to see what your time is from a regular start off the blocks.

I'm excited for you that you began working on breaststroke... it sounds like you have a very natural stroke... 9 per length is great (your height will be an advantage for you). My breast is so slow, I go backwards... but that's ok... I'll stick to backstroke.

Good luck on your future swims... it's so great to hear someone being so excited about their swimming.

S.

Scansy
November 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Congratulations.

I do think the breaststroke probably helped the freestyle time. The cross training effect is great for your muscles. Plus, I think the breaststroke probably improved your cardio too.