PDA

View Full Version : Free and Back only workouts

Seagurl51
November 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Due to a shoulder problem, I can't do breaststroke of butterfly for 3 weeks (at least). So I was wondering if anyone had any good free and back only workouts that I could do, otherwise workouts can get pretty boring. Thanx for all your help!!

~Kyra

USMSarah
December 1st, 2004, 09:31 PM
This is just a little combo from a few past practices with my team...

WU:

300 choice
300 kick
300 drill
300 choice
(I usually alternate b/t free and back for all of them)

MS:

10x75 (kick, drill, swim by 25's) choice
10x100 (kick, swim by 50's) choice
2 or 3X (depending on how much time you have):
(300 choice, 4x50 drill, 4x25 -sprint first half of 25, easy other half)

WD:

Whatever you need to do to warm down (I do at least a 200).

Have fun! I've been alternating a lot of back and free lately... sometimes I mix in some drill breast and fly... and also... this is a great opportunity to work on your underwater kick!

S.

Seagurl51
December 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Thank you. That sounds like a good workout...I'm anxious to try it. One last question...do you have any good drills that I can do? I only know a few. I'll see if I find some too, but if you have any favorites I would love to hear them.

~Kyra

etrain
December 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Favorite drills in catch-up and fist...

Most any workout you can do all free/back, just adjust the intervals.

This might be a good time to work on your kick, if it is weak. Vertical kicking or even side kicking a practice would be great fun every once in awhile.

Good luck with the shoulder, did the rotator cuff in high school...ouch!!!

etrain

Seagurl51
December 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have any secrets about how to make the spin drill work? I can only get out of the water a little past my shoulders. Do I need to sit up more, or stroke faster? Any ideas.:confused:

~Kyra

etrain
December 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Could you explain the drill, I have never heard of spin drill...

etrain

Seagurl51
December 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
It's a drill for backstroke. You try and pull yourself out of the water as far as you can and kinda just skim on the top. I saw Krayzelburg do it (it was way cool) and then read about it later in a coaching book my friend had. So I start out on my back, and just sit up and try to pull my body out of the water, but I can only get out to a little below my shoulders. When I saw Krayzelburg do it he was out to like his waist, I'm shooting for maybe upper abs. Maybe I just need to stroke harder and faster to pull my body out farther? Hope that explaination makes sense.

~Kyra

USMSarah
December 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
You may have heard of these, but this is what I usually do.

Back:

-One stroke, six kicks (working on getting the shoulder out of the water and body position)
-Three strokes, six kicks (same as above, but as you do more strokes, don't forget about keeping your hips up)
-I've done the ketchup drill before, but I really don't like it b/c my body sinks too far down in the water.

Free:

-Same as the first two for back.
-Salute drill, regular free- just salute at the end of your recovery (actually touch your forehead).
-Drag your fingertips along the surface during the recovery (this improves elbow position for a great recovery).
-Waterpolo drill (you probably don't want to do this while you have shoulder probs)... you just swim w/ your head constantly out of the water looking forward.

Breast:

-Fly kick w/ breast stroke (two fly kicks, then stroke)
-Free kick w/ breast stroke (do however many kicks you feel is similar to the time you use when you glide)
-Free kick w/ tiny breast stroke (basically only move your forearms and hands).

Fly:
-One arm each length (my fave).
-Dolphin Dive (dive to the bottom, push off, come out of the water with one butterfly stroke and dive back down and repeat)... great for timing.
*I've heard that freestyle is a great way to prepare your body for fly... just a note.

Hope that wasn't too repetitive for ya.

S.;)

etrain
December 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
I did a google on spin drill and I would think that doing that drill would aggravate the shoulder more than anything...

my $0.02!!!

etrain

EyeoreSAM
December 3rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
I agree that the sit drill would most definately aggrevate your shoulder. I am a backstroker and I don't like to do that drill too often. You can do a drill with your arms at your sides keeping your head still and just rotating your shoulder so they are in the line of sight and doing six kicks on one side, six on the other. Also you can get a cup put it on your head and try and swim a lap without it falling over--this one is very tricky and took me a long time to get it right. There are so many back drills I could tell you, but I would be here forever. There is a great video with Jeff Rouse in it for some drills and it really helps.

Seagurl51
December 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks all for your help. I guess spin drill isn't the best thing for my shoulder...but it's kinda fun, but I agree, I probably shouldn't be doing it. Thank you for all the other drills...I'll have to try those.

~Kyra

Seagurl51
December 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by USMSarah

-Salute drill, regular free- just salute at the end of your recovery (actually touch your forehead).

Can you explain this a little more. Do I touch my forehead and then stretch out to finish the stroke or touch and then pull back or go all the way in front and then salute? Thanx!

~Kyra

USMSarah
December 4th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Kyra-

The salute drill is one of my most favorite drills for free to work on the recovery portion of your stroke... the point is to get the feeling of high elbows.

Touch your forehead and then stretch out... and then do a normal pull! It's fun!

It will feel awkward at first, but it's a great drill.

S.