PDA

View Full Version : Jammer or Speedo?

Tarzan
November 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I have been thinking about it, and I know a normal jammer isn't better than a regular speedo speed wise. However, I have recently seen a lot of top level swimmers wearing fast-skin jammers or compression shorts, and I'm wondering what your oppinion is. The fast-skin jammers I've seen cost about $100 and they look good. Like I said... a lot of high level swimmers are wearing them. Since we're on the topic what about full body suits?

Thanks,
Tarzan

P.S. Phelps wore a fast-skin jammer in the Olympics.

thisgirl13
November 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Before you start, I know I'm a girl, but I'll try this:

(Aaron Peirsol wore a Nike Jammer, in Athens, btw)

A relatively higher number of girls wore full bodysuits than boys at the Olympics, and even the Worlds. Bodysuits are designed to eliminate total body drag (it completely compresses all surface area it covers, like a tight suit) and the material it's made from is closely linked to the anatomy of shark scales/skin. Basically, it cuts drag and resistance down to like, 1/3 of what it would be in, say, an Aquablade. Most guys feel they're just fine without the bodysuit, but are just superstitious enough to wear jammers. Like, don't invite the devil in just because you like fire. I guess it really just depends on comfort level and individual preference and superstition.

However, the hi-neck backstroker bodysuits by speedo really are awesome to swim in. :D

Guvnah
November 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Just wondering... where did the name "jammer" come from?

hooked-on-swimming
November 30th, 2004, 04:13 PM
talking about jammers and full- body suits I could never understand why at the elite level some swimmers wear full body and some just jammers or the ones resembling tight pants, going all the way to your ankles(what is the name for them?).Anyways, the point I am trying to make is - if the manufacturers of the full body suits claim that it reduces drag so dramatically wouldn't everyone wear them, when hundreds of a second make such a difference in tight races, but no!We see everything out there from briefs to full body suits.That makes me think that in reality those suits don't make any difference, maybe some swimmers are just comfortable in them or do believe that they add to their performance(for instance Ian Thorpe - have you ever seen him swim without one?I wonder what his time would have been if he was wearing jammers - I bet, the same)

scyfreestyler
November 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM
For some swimmers, the perceived restriction in movement caused by the full suit might render the reduced drag a mute point. In the case of Hoogie, he will not wear a body suit because he refuses to cover up his concave sternum (PE). In the end, it is a matter of preference and an ounce comfort is worth pounds of technology.

tjrpatt
November 30th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I don't think that I would wear the full body suit. I like wearing the jammers but I prefer practicing in a speedo. I am so glad that the paper suit have been evaporated. You were pretty close to wearing a thong in the "paper" suit. The fast skin jammers that were worn at the Olympcis look pretty cool and seem comfortable. I can't wait until I can afford to get one.