PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

centaur532
November 30th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Does anyone else suffer with back problems? I'm going through an extremely tough time right now. In September I over-rotated throwing a roundhouse kick (yes, I'm a martial artist), and sustained a lumbar sprain. I went straight to a chiro, and he also took x-rays. I have a lumbar spine that would rival a car wreck victim. The vertebrae are rotated and the natural curve has not only leveled itself out, but is starting to curve in the opposite direction. Bear in mind I'm 20 years old.
I've been seeing a chiropractor for 2 and a half months now, 3x a week. I had reached the point of pain-free again (a great accomplishment considering the pain I had before), and then I went home for Thanksgiving, slept on my mattress at home and now I'm back where I started, only now with more pain in my hips and thighs.
This wasn't meant to be a sob story, only this is really starting to suck. I wanted to swim this morning and I couldn't. I haven't consistently trained in martial arts for a year because of knee problems (which is a whole other story), and now it looks like two years because of my back.
Will this ever stop? I'm feeling a little despondent right now. Forgive me for the pity party and sob story. I just want to be pain free and swimming and kicking people again.

gull
November 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Perhaps you should see an orthopedist and get an MRI.

dorothyrde
November 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Did the chiro perscribe any exercises to be done daily that are specific to your problem. I have si joint issues that have resulted in back, hip and leg pain. If I don't do daily exercises and stretches specifically for this, I have pain.

The fact you have this so young would worry me, and maybe you need to see a different type of doctor. I am not against chiro, in fact that is who has straigtened me out(pun intended), but sometimes other methods are needed. I also do accupuncture to remain pain free.

Leonard Jansen
November 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM
As a back pain "sufferer" of 12 years, I agree 100% with gull80. MRI's are a godsend. Not looking to start a flame war, but: I know many people swear by chiropractors, however, my personal experience with them has been nothing but awful - your mileage may vary.

Also, see this thread:
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3751

-LBJ

centaur532
November 30th, 2004, 09:23 AM
I'm beginning to think along the lines of MRIs and such right about now. I love my chiropractor-don't get me wrong. He's awesome and he's done a lot. There are good and bad chiros out there, and Mike is one of the best. I'd send anyone to him.
However-I am thinking of going to see a "real" doctor because I don't know that I can keep this up. I'm probably transferring from my school anyway, so I won't see him anymore.
I do have those exercises, and I'll admit it-I did them religiously, the pain went away and I slacked off quite a bit. The sad thing is that I don't think Mike and the exercises are going to cut it completely anymore.
I can see many more doctor visits in my future, but I'd still take a chiropractic approach over 'slice'n'dice' any day.

dorothyrde
November 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
I have visited both chiro and Docs and PT's and for my issues, the chiro was the best bet. But my spinal x-rays showed no real bad issues, it sounds like this is not the case with you.

Check out other means, because you are young and it is a long, long time to be in pain.

You also need to be resolved that preventive exercises and stretches need to be done daily. But first get things checked out more thoroughly!

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM
I once had a chiropractor tell me that he could heal my asthma. He truly meant that he would make it so that I would have no symptoms, no lung problems - nothing. You must be very careful with chiro's, as long as they stay with your back & don't forge into other medical problems, some are okay.

centaur532
November 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I once had a chiropractor tell me that he could heal my asthma. He truly meant that he would make it so that I would have no symptoms, no lung problems - nothing. You must be very careful with chiro's, as long as they stay with your back & don't forge into other medical problems, some are okay.

The theory behind chiropractic is sound. It can help with a lot of health issues, and I will stand behind that. I intend to see a chiropractor all my life. However, I don't believe that a chiro will be able to get rid of my asthmatic symptoms (it's too severe for that), and I don't believe that a chiro is going to do all the work that my back requires.
I've had numbness and tingling in two of my toes since last summer, though my neurologist didn't feel that an MRI on my back was necessary. I think he'll be eating his words soon. I read that the nerves affecting my toes are connected with the area I'm having problems with.
Chiropractors are awesome if you find the right one, but they are not the be all and end all, which I fully realize.

gull
November 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by centaur532
The theory behind chiropractic is sound.

That's good to know. I just wonder how a chiropractor would explain the science behind his "treatment" of asthma.

centaur532
November 30th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Well, the theory is quite inclusive. Basically, your nervous system is made up of two parts-central, and peripheral. Your central system is your brain and your spinal cord. Your peripheral are all your other little nerves that spread across your body.
When your vertebrae are out of line, this can affect nerve pathways, causing pain, irritation, and a variety of other pleasant symptoms, such as broncho-constriction (in the case of asthma). If your nerves are firing correctly with no inhibitions, these symptoms should be reduced drastically.
That was the short version. Of course, I'm an EMT and a nursing student, and I could have gotten long-winded. I tried not to.

etrain
December 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
I have had problems with my back since the summer between my freshman and sophomore years at college. I worked at a local Dairy Queen (manager) and I went from sitting on my butt all day to standing for 8 or more hours. This killed my back to the point where it hurt to sit, stand, laying down, or basically doing anything. The next season for swimming was my worst season. Tues and Thurs we would always do sets off the blocks, needless to say I would rarely be going off the blocks. Even in some of the meets it was hard to come down when the ref would give the magic words. I have since "grown" out of this phase and I hope that I will not return to that phase. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back. I can still feel it on cold days and on days when I did too much the day before, but not to the point where I was a few years ago.

Hopefully you will make it through it as I did and it will just be a thing in the past.

Good luck...

etrain

bobatwork
December 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
Just wanted to share my story, hope it helps someone.
(1) Had lower back pain for a number of years.Went to orthopedic surgeon who wanted to operate.
(2)Didn't do operation.
(3)Went to various chiropractors, helped for short term but pain came back.
(4)Neighbor suggested Dr. John Sarno, mind body practicioner. Went to see him at NYU in NY and haven't had back pain for almost 20 years.
(5)Go to Yahoo and search for "Dr John Sarno" and you will get a wealth of references.
(6)Heard that Howard Stern went to him for whatever that is worth.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous Bob