PDA

View Full Version : first meet

spintwo
November 30th, 2004, 10:52 PM
I got 1:08.10 on 100 freestyle and like 1:24 on backstroke 100. are these times terrible? I thought so but eveyone says otherwise. First real competetive meet in like 4 years for me. I swam competitively like when i was 10 but didnt' take it very seriously. Now, at 14, and our first high school meet, I did, and those are the times i got. So what are your thoguhts?

hooked-on-swimming
December 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
I wish I could do 1:08 on 100 m.(or were those yards?), although I am pretty close.I think the times are very good, but that is coming from a guy who started swimming 4 months ago.Anyways, you're only 14, so just keep on swimming and you'll see some great results, I am sure, you have so much time in front of you ...

Rob Copeland
December 1st, 2004, 08:14 AM
Are those times terrible? Well, it all depends on you. If you are a Michael Phelps or Ian Crocker, then yes, those would be terrible times. But, as a High School freshman, at your first meet in years, those could be considered respectable times.

The more important question is what are your goal times and what are you doing to achieve these goals? Do you have a goal of qualifying for the state meet? If so, what are the qualifying times and are you working with your coach to train to achieve these times?

You should be judging your times against your own goals. If your meet goal was to break 1:10, then you did a tremendous job and congratulations! If you goal was to break 1:00, then you need to either reassess your goal or look at your preparations. If you didnít have a goal time and you thought your final times were terrible, then for you they were. Without knowing your goals it is difficult to measure success.