PDA

View Full Version : National Y Entry

Mel
December 1st, 2004, 10:33 AM
National YMCA Masters Swimming Championship Entry, April 24-27, 2005 in Indianapolis is now available at www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org

dorothyrde
December 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Very expensive. I don't like that I am required to pay for the social to enter!

Mel
December 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
While we are hosting the Y Nationals, the event charge and surcharge is set by the YMCA National Committee. I as a Meet Host have no control over these fees. The one thing that sets the YMCA meet apart from the USMS meet regarding the social, is that the social is included and everyone attends and it is great event. This year it should be a "hoot" with the "Polka Boy" band. Hope you will still plan to attend.

Ian
December 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM
Please note the dates on the order of events page are wrong. Don't make hotel reservations based on these dates. Look at the front of the flier for the correct dates.

dorothyrde
December 1st, 2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Mel, did not mean to sound like I was being too negative. It is just 100.00 for entry fees sound steep. I probably can't go to the social, because I would only swim Sat and Sun and would not go over until after work on Friday.

However, I realize it is a National meet and will be more expensive. I am already trying to round up people for relays since it is so close to us.

swim53
December 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM
The socials I have been to at Y Nationals in various places have been TONS of fun- the best..aside from the USMS social at the LC Nat. Meet in Clevel.

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
I tried to open the site but I couldn't. Is there another way to get the information?

Mel
December 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
The correct dates for the meet are April 21-24,2005. Thank you for bringing to my attention the error on the order of events sheet. This will be corrected!

Fritz
December 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I tried to open the site but I couldn't. Is there another way to get the information?

Make sure you remove the period from the end of the link.

www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org

Mel
December 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM
My error when writing the URL address I put a period at the end of the address. I have deleted it, you should now be able to get to the entry. Thank you Mark for bringing this to my attention.

shark
December 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sorry if I sound like the masters newbie that I am, but are all masters meets this expensive?

dorothyrde
December 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
No, the local ones are not that much. There may be an entry fee, or a surcharge to enter, but not usually both. Indy can be an expensive place to stay depending on what is going on, but you can get good rates if you play the rate game.

It is a National meet, and even with USA, the National and Regional meets are much more expensive than the local meets.

Ian
December 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Any chance to race in a Championship meet at IUPUI is worth the price. Mel/IUPUI and the YMCA folks know how to run a great meet. And then there is the pool. Gets my adrenalin pumping just thinking about it.

dorothyrde
December 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Ditto on the pool and the folks over there running it. The pool is awesome!

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I have some questions about the Entry Information. First I see no entry form to submit times for the meet. Maybe its at another site or do we have to get this from the local YMCA. It usually has the entry form and a liability release to be signed.

Also in past years this National Championship meet was a Recognized event for USMS. Last year it was listed in both the Meet Entry Information, Entry Form, and Results. I believe this requirement has to be fulfilled if USMS Records, Top Ten Times, and Relays from the same LMSC be considered for submission for National Top Ten.

These requirements are very important because it could effect the elgibility. There is a new President of my YMCA and I am trying to explain how things work with my YMCA team and USMS.

Mel
December 6th, 2004, 01:54 PM
The YMCA National Masters Swimming Championships will be a recognized USMS Masters Meet. If you look at the first page of the meet information, 2nd line, it indicates the YMCA National Masters Swimming Championships is recognized by Greater Indiana Masters for USMS.

As for the actual entry form, I am checking to see why it was not included in the Meet Information Packet.

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks Mel. The reason for all of the questions is that my YMCA might not renew their Liability Insurance and I told them that because all of the members of my team our USMS members that we have Liability Insurance and we would be covered by USMS. They wanted to see the recognition # and our policy which I am getting to them. I told them that in USMS recognized events that we insure people that are USMS card caring members. One of the members on the Metro counsil does like this because he thinks that USMS is dictating to the YMCA. I explained that almost all of the people that swim in this National meet are USMS members and technically they have double insurance and the ones that have a problem are the non members and they would have to get on the Branch YMCA Liability policy.

I also said that when YMCA masters swimmers swim in santioned and recognized meets by the USMS LMSC's they are covered. The only meet I know of that is a YMCA meet is the National one and that one is always recognized by USMS. I explained that because its a YMCA meet, it can never be sanctioned because USMS can't make a YMCA member belong to USMS in their National meet.

I also referenced the YMCA Swim Team Coaches letter from Jeff Allen who is the President of the YMCA Coaches Association that up on the YMCA National website. It has the updates from the National Committee meeting dated Decemeber 19, 2003 that states in the "Changes for 2004 YMCA Short Course Nationals" Item 4 "USA Swimming and US Diving cards will be allowed for proof of certifications at Nationals as long as dates of exp. are listed on the cards". My take on this is that USMS would apply since we have the same insurance carrier.

I also referened the "Technical Assistance Paper on YMCA Competitve Swimming Programs YMCA of the USA that is up on the National website and found nothing that threatens Risk Management or Insurance.

Right now they want to inspect the USMS Insurance policy and see if their is anything that is conflicting to the YMCA Insurance policy. They have done this before because they deal with other NGB's and if its' ok there should not be a problem.

So what do you think? Any comments, problems, solutions, suggestions would be appreciated.