PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Instability

scyfreestyler
December 1st, 2004, 07:33 PM
I am pretty sure I have developed this problem in my LH shoulder as a result of poor stretching methods; arms swinging in circles. Has anybody else had this problem? I have no pain but how long will it take to strengthen the muscles up and make me tight again? The thought of being on dryland for weeks makes me sick to my stomach.

Seagurl51
December 1st, 2004, 08:07 PM
To make your shoulder more stable, make sure you do rotator cuff exercises and get the muscles that hold your shoulder in place stronger. Another thing, stay away from breaststroke and butterfly until you feel like your shoulders are stable again. The doctor told me I can't do either for at least three weeks because of the strain it puts on your shoulders. If you feel like your shoulders are unstable, you don't want them slipping out (that sucks and you will out of the pool for weeks). Workouts are very boring, but at least you can still be in the pool. Do your exercises diligantly and you should be stronger in no time. Hope you feel better!!

~Kyra

p.s. there is a thread i started a while ago about my shoulder problems that had a link to some awesome shoulder exercises....i'll see if i can find it and bring it up

USMSarah
December 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM
330man... I agree with what Kyra said. Get that shoulder more stable with rotator cuff exercises! I had probs in college, and I had to quit in the beginning of my junior year... now 5 years later I've gotten back in it and I take it slow... take it easy for a while until you strenghthen that area back up. Don't neglect your other shoulder, too! For some reason, free really buggs my shoulder... when I find my shoulders feeling funny, I switch to backstroke or do drill on breast and fly.... and/or do a lot of kicking.

One more thing from my Doc who did my shoulder surgery... CONCENTRATE ON TECHNIQUE... it will prevent injury more because your body is swimming in the ideal position.

Kyra... I'd love to see that link to the shoulder exercises too!

-S.

Seagurl51
December 1st, 2004, 09:09 PM
The link is on the first page of the thread a few things down called Shoulder Problems.

~Kyra

scyfreestyler
December 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the input you two, I appreciate it. I found the link to the exercises and I also made an appt. with the sports med. doctor at the office I go to; tommorow AM. I should have done something about this before it got to the point where my shoulder started popping but I guess you live and learn.