PDA

View Full Version : RC complete tear

Marcia Hill
December 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
I have a small, but complete tear of my supraspinatus, so says the MRI. I am told that complete tears do not repair themselves and even if partial, tears in older swimmers (I am 60) usually need to be repaired surgically. Has anyone out there ever had a complete RC tear and recovered without surgery?

bckstrker
December 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Marcia, I have seen many partial and complete tears of the rotator cuff, specifically the supraspinatus muscle come through our rehab clinic. On occasion, a partial tear in an elderly person who has not had surgery will allow the patient to do normal, everyday activities. Complete tears, even small ones, will have a great effect on your ability to stabilize you shoulder blade. This in turn will hinder you from generating good power with your strokes. I don't know how much pain you are experiencing with this but it probably won't go away without having it surgically repaired. This is speaking only from my experience as a PT;) Oh yes, as a side note: recovery from a small tear with surgery is a lot less painful and lengthy than recovery from surgery with a large, massive tear. A small tear will eventually get bigger:mad:
Good luck in your decision making! :)

Johnathon
December 5th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Hi Marcia - Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you recover soon. I was just wondering what sort of symptoms you experienced with the RC problem.
Regards - Johnathon

Marcia Hill
December 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Jonathon, I have a sharp, searing pain when I make certain motions, such as reach forward and down to get something, or up in a too fast way or across my chest. I have learned not to make these motions most of the time or to do them slowly. The PT is working on stabilizing my shoulder blade to reduce the pressure on the tear. A lot of other aches and soreness have calmed down now, with the pT work, I can now sleep most of the time on that side, but the searing pain is the same. I cannot reach behind my back and up either, but that is not a motion you do often. The sharp pain makes me bend over in pain for about 20 or 30 seconds or more groaning. Sort of like hitting your crazy bone in your elbow.

Johnathon
December 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your reply Marcia. I would be interested in following your progress if you are up to posting it on this board. We can all learn something from your experience. I hope you find the informatoin you are looking for to determine what corrective action to take. Good luck.
Regards Johnathon.