PDA

View Full Version : Neck rotation, soreness

LukeM3
December 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
I swim relatively straight (I always stay one side of the lane, even if no one else is the lane). In fact maybe too straight. My masters coach used to say I'm "swimming on a board." I use bialateral breathing and do not thrash my noggin, but I suffer from chronic upper neck pains. I know the pain is caused by swimming because when I stopped swimming last year the pain went away.

I'm assuming my problems are because of the way I'm rotating my neck. Is it possible I'm not bringing my neck back far enough?Too far back?

Any suggestions?

scyfreestyler
December 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
With proper body roll your neck should rotate very little. When I swim my neck is quite relaxed and finds it's own position in the water. I am saddened by the amount of injuries popping up on this board.

bckstrker
December 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
330man - I agree with you - there are a lot of injuries being discussed on this board. I feel bad for you all who are having problems with back, shoulders, necks etc.

Luke, I agree with 330man: with enough body roll you shouldn't have to rotate your neck much. I wonder whether you may be looking forward too much instead of down at the bottom of the pool. This (looking forward) could make your neck extensors (the muscles that "bend" your neck back) work overtime and that may be feeding into your pain pattern. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, but next time you swim you may want to check to see that your neck is in a neutral position, that is neither tucked nor bent back. Just a thought and suggestion. Hope your neck feels better soon!:)

Scansy
December 6th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I would agree. When I have my body body roll and all of my form working well, my neck muscles barely have to work. I used to lift my head up and turn at the same time to breathe and I used to get a sore neck. But once I corrected that, I never get neck pain. And I became faster too!

LukeM3
December 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Gang,
This a.m. I discovered that my neck is attached to the rest of my body and that if I relax my neck, and spend a little less effort craning it to see the + at the other end of the pool (thanks bckstrker), that I get more rotation. This transformation will take some time, but I did notice I wasn't lifting my head separately to breathe (like scansy described). I treated my neck, head and torso as one unit. As for the soreness--give me a few days to determine if it goes away. It's still lingering from prior swims.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.