PDA

View Full Version : School project ideas

Seagurl51
December 6th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know of any good projects to do for a Biology class (leve 100 college) that can be done about swimming in about 3 days? Thankx a bunch!

~Kyra

p.s. yes this is a desperate-last-minute-i-messed-up-and-all-the-streams-are-frozen-i-need-help-now-please-plea

scyfreestyler
December 6th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Chlorine and bacteria in pools? Lactic acid levels in elite swimmers versus the typical fitness swimmer?

centaur532
December 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
Does anybody know of any good projects to do for a Biology class (leve 100 college) that can be done about swimming in about 3 days? Thankx a bunch!

~Kyra

p.s. yes this is a desperate-last-minute-i-messed-up-and-all-the-streams-are-frozen-i-need-help-now-please-plea

How about the physiology of swimming, maybe comparing one stroke to another, with muscle usage. Or you could compare swimming to other sports.
This is a toughie, because with only 3 days to do it, you're kind of stuck. You could have done some really neat projects otherwise.

Seagurl51
December 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Thanx for all the ideas! We are kinda stuck...we were gonna test water to see if fish could live in it, but then it snowed and everything froze. I think we settled on chlorine and bacteria. We're gonna see which kills bacteria the best, chlorine, soap and some other chemical. I'll post the results...who knows maybe our study will prove that swimmers never need to shower again?!

~Kyra

mattson
December 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
...who knows maybe our study will prove that swimmers never need to shower again?!

Please, there are enough people who believe this (especially the heavy cologne/perfume wearing water-waders), no need to encourage them. :(

newmastersswimmer
December 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I for one am more partial to the lactic acid build up (verses peruvic (sp??) acid levels) in the muscles of swimmers verses other kinds of atheletes....the whole Krebb's Cycle Analysis scene on the cellular level sounds pretty cool to me......but then again, look who is giving the advice here (the mayor of geekville!)

newmastersswimmer

p.s. I wouldn't know where to look to see if studies like this have ever been done before anyway....start with google perhaps....Try and use your existing knowledge from the class to hypothesize as to why you might expect the results you find as well??....just some suggestions that's all?

Seagurl51
December 9th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Well, we tried to grow some bacteria but it didn't work. So we bagged that project entirely and decided to do customer service. So if you want good customer service go to Fred Meyers, and try to avoid Wal-Mart. Thanx for all your help with all the ideas you gave me!! I just may test some on my own...they have got me thinking.

~Kyra

Gil
December 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Am I missing something. What does customer service have to do with Biology 100?

Seagurl51
December 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Absolutly nothing...but it was 11 and we needed something to do, and we figured if you can count the chocolate chips in different types of cookie brands than you can study customer service!

~Kyra

newmastersswimmer
December 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Hey Seagurl....

Maybe this is too late, but if you go to the thread about the poll "distance swimmer vs sprinter" ....you can almost get an entire science project (on the subject of the Krebb's Cycle) verbatim by just summarizing some of the facts already pointed out there concerning the different ways that Lactic Acid builds up in the muscles when comparing sprinters vs distance swimmers......and the test that you can take to determine whether you are more of a sprinter or more of a distance swimmer.....apparently there are differences in the way the Krebb's Cycle works in the muscle cells of sprinters vs the muscle cells of distance swimmers (or at least according to the theory presented in that thread??).....Sounds like there is reasonable experimental data backing up the theory as well. Maybe it's not too late for you to jump ship on the whole Chocolate Chip counting customer service thing and still go for an interesting project that really has something to do with Biology??.....Good Luck either way though!!

newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
December 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately it is too late to change projects. We presented it yesterday....(meaning that class is over and my Biology class is almost done YAY!!!) However, I will check out that thread...that sounds like something I would want to know for myself.

~Kyra

newmastersswimmer
December 10th, 2004, 05:33 PM
So how did it all turn out then? I remember how much you said you enjoyed that class and all (especially your professor who you found to be so fascinating and engaging right??...lol!)

newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
December 10th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
So how did it all turn out then? I remember how much you said you enjoyed that class and all (especially your professor who you found to be so fascinating and engaging right??...lol!)

newmastersswimmer

Not sure how the class turned out yet...still have the final to go:eek: ! But our project proved that Fred Meyers(not sure if they are a national chain) has the best customer service and that Wal-Mart has the worst. (Granted it was around 1 am when we went but we figured they would just be worse in the day, and we came up with idea around 11:30-ish :p).

~Kyra