PDA

View Full Version : flipturn onto both sides

hooked-on-swimming
December 6th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I noticed that whenever I do a flip turn I always end up on a left side(right shoulder up) after the push off a wall which would entail starting to stroke with a left hand.The problem is - I am MUCH MORE comfortable starting my stroke(freestyle) with my right hand - wierd!!!(I stroke with my right at the very beginning of the distance - I always start with a push off on my right side).SO I tried a few times to flip so that I end up on my right side - but I just cannot do it.So strange - I always end up on my left side.
Is there some kinda way that makes you end up on your left or right sides?And does it matter what side you push off a wall on in relation to what hand made the last stroke?

Rob Copeland
December 7th, 2004, 08:38 AM
“does it matter what side you push off a wall on in relation to what hand made the last stroke?”

If you are asking if matters from a legal stroke perspective, then, no, it doesn’t matter. As long as you touch the wall on your freestyle turn it does not matter how you leave the wall.

If you are asking if it matters from a speed and efficiency perspective, then yes it does matter. Current coaching philosophies recommend you take your first stroke with the lower arm, in your case the left.

I think you’ll find it is easier to change your starting hand then it is to change which way you roll. However, if you do want to change to right side up, I’d recommend working on turns where you first changing to push off on your back (good streamline with dolphin/flutter breakout). After a few of these, progress to pushing off on your back and rotating slowly to your left side during your breakout. Once you are comfortable doing this, work on making the rotation smooth and faster.

shark
December 7th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Circle swimming creates a pattern of turning during your change in direction. You become accustomed to pushing off at an angle to make sure you don't collide with the person behind you. You see this at all levels of swimming. Doing this creates a habit of swimming in circles. "Shortest distance between two points is a straight line." I have to keep telling myself this do to the fact that I am always swimming circles. If you go into the wall straight and push off on your back, kick to your side and pull with your bottom arm, you are as efficient as they come. Plus you are using the wall to your advantage. If you come off of the wall on your back you should be able to kick to either side and continue the turn progression. Try it, just make sure nobody is behind you. And remember to swim straight, not circle, in meets.