PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Swimming Quotes

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I love quotes and I thought it'd be cool if everyone posted their favorites whether or not they are related to swimming, motivational, inspirational, funny, etc.

"It is better to have swum and lost that it is to have ever been a cheerleader."

"The view from the summit is worth the effort."

"Success is found in our daily routine."

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, "Holy Sh*T what a ride!"

There are many others I will post when my eyes are more than 1/2 open...

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2004, 12:59 AM
YAY! I love quotes too! I put all my favorite ones up on my wall, it looks like wallpaper. But it gets me going in the morning! These are some of the one's that really get me going:

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."

"Our strength is often composed of the weakness we're damned if we're going to show."

"I survived because I was tougher than everyone else."

"Girls got balls. They're just a little higher up that's all."

~Kyra

scyfreestyler
December 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM
There are 3 ways to spread news, telegram, television, and tellawoman. Not swimming related but it's new to me and I just had to share.

blairbecky
December 7th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Some of my favorite are:

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" Walt Disney

"If you shoot for the moon and end up in the stars,that's not such a bad thing."

"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their mind up to be." Abraham Lincoln

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Not really swimming quotes but I thought I would share them anyway. I'm the silly person who keeps the book of quotes.

Guvnah
December 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder with this one. I think I saw it in someone's signature string on this board. It goes something like this:

When the earth floods from global warming, the swimmers will rule the world.

Dennis Tesch
December 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
My favorite swimming quote is from my former gymnastics teacher who was wondering why I like swimming so much... She stated "Isn't swimming just counting tiles"

In a very simplistic way, swimming is counting tiles....

My favorite quote is:

It isn't that we don't know what to do as much as we fear the power of committing to what we do know and the changes that will results.

jswim
December 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I looked for some online.. but I found a bunch I liked!
---enjoy

"Breastroke is an athletic event, butterfly is a political statement." -- Paul Tsongas, 3/20/92

"I feel more like I am now than I was before I dived in." (Graffiti on the wall of the Guiness Brewery Pool, Dublin).

The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move
- Aleksandr Popov [RUS]

"Swimming is more than a sport of the individual. It is the challenge of character, the strength of spirit, and the hope of the future."

Half of swimming, is 90% mental.
~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to have swum and lost, than to have ever been a cheerleader..."

"I don't want to be the next Mark Spitz; I want to be the first Michael Phelps" -- Michael Phelps

Support your teammates. Without their help and competition, you could never reach your own best level.

danjobry3
December 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM
"At the moment of commitment the world conspires to assist you."
--Goethe

"Oxygen is overrated."

mattson
December 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
"Mark Spitz is so good my grandmother could coach him, and she died 10 years ago." - Doc Counsilman

For-real incident from my college days:
Coach: "We have to change things, we are getting beat up. We need to do a 360."
Team Captain: "Uh... doesn't that leave us going in the same direction?"

laineybug
December 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM
That may be the reason... but it is no excuse

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 05:16 PM
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

"Suffer the pain of discipline of suffer the pain of regret."

"There is a difference between interest and committment. When you are interested in something you do it only when circumstances permit. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses only results."

"We are going to do this next set with fins." - the best thing ever said by my high school swim coach

"We're going to start tappering." - ok, that was the best thing my high school coach ever said.

"'Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.' Said by some really tough dude that liked obstacle courses."

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
"'Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.' Said by some really tough dude that liked obstacle courses."

It's on a t-shirt at kastawayswimwear.com !!

~Kyra

gull
December 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM
"When the going gets tough, the sprinters get out!"

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
"You're biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice in your head that yells 'CAN'T', but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear that voice whisper, "can" and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are."

"Pride is holding your head up when everyone else around you has theirs bowed. Courage is what makes you do it."

swimr4life
December 7th, 2004, 05:34 PM
I saw this one at my daughter's USS meet this weekend....
"It is not the hours of practice that matter...it's what you put into the hours that counts."

This is from a Swimatlanta T-shirt....
"What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you say."

This is what I tell my swimmers when I'm talking about how to swim a 50 free..."Breathing is overrated!" :)

gull
December 7th, 2004, 05:39 PM
"Best karate still inside you. Time to let it out!" (I know, it isn't about swimming, but it could be--and it's a good quote.)

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I keep thinking of more and more quotes ...

"Actions speak louder than coaches." - it was a speedo ad campaign at one time

thisgirl13
December 7th, 2004, 05:56 PM
To err is human; to swim, divine.

:cool:

thisgirl13
December 7th, 2004, 06:06 PM
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumble bee cannot fly. Apparently, someone forgot to tell that to the bee. It makes me wonder what humans could do, if only we didn't know we weren't capable of it."

"Swimmers come, and swimmers go, but their hearts live forever."

"It's not how far you swim in practice, and it's not how fast you swim in practice; it's how far you swim fast in practice."

"It is better to have swum and lost, than to have ever been a cheerleader...." (Sorry)

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2004, 06:15 PM
"...and knows that yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream." ~Kahlil Gibran

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

swimr4life
December 7th, 2004, 06:26 PM
"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right!"

centaur532
December 7th, 2004, 09:32 PM
My signature. I think SonicSwimmer78 said it. It was so good I had to steal it.
Oh, I thought of something else.
They say this about gymnastics, but I think it's appropriate for swimming.

"If it was easy, they'd call it football!"

old dog
December 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Ya gotta get lucky once in a while.

Nothing is ever @#$%*@ easy.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

You can always breathe later.

Dave60625
December 8th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Coming from a running background, here are some of my favorite quotes. Many are applicable for swimming.

"Apres moi, le deluge." Roger Bannister after running the first sub-4 minute mile.

"I will not last forever. But I am damn well going to know I have been here." George Sheehan.

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone." Percy Cerutty.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy; he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger; that by constant repitition of the same movements he will become more skillfull and his muscles more relaxed...He must be a fanatic for hard work and enthusiastic enough to enjoy it." Franz Stampfl.

"The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare." Juma Ikangaa

"God has given me the ability. The rest is up to me. Believe. Believe. Believe." Billy Mills.

"Men, today we die a little." Emil Zatopek at the start of the Olympic Marathon.

"Finland has produced so many brilliant distance runners because back home it costs $2.50 for a gallon of gas." Esa Tikkannen (quote from 1979).

"If you start to feel good during an ultra, don't worry - you'll get over it." Gene Thibeault.

Leonard Jansen
December 8th, 2004, 06:55 AM
"Fear, like pain, may only be God's way... of hurting us." - Firesign Theater

"If I told you what it takes to reach the highest height/ you'd laugh and tell me "Nothing's that simple"/ and yet so many times before/ when messiahs pointed to the door/ no one had the guts to leave the temple." - The Who

"Pain is the purifier. Love pain. Embrace pain." - Percy Cerutty

"Go like Hell" - Frank Alongi

-LBJ

laineybug
December 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I hope I'm remembering this correctly

When you were born the
World rejoyced
And you cried
Live your life so when you die
The world cries
and you rejoyce.

swimr4life
December 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Laineybug, that one gave me chills! That is beautiful...and so true. Thank-you for sharing!:)

James
December 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
"You can always breath when your dead."

My attempt on Yogism.

Go Yanks!!!:D

CCSR79
December 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
"Don't cry because you missed the sunset, your tears won't let you see the stars"

(I think that one is cheesy, but it's a great one -- can be applied to many things in life!)

justforfun
December 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I think about this one when trying to change something about my stroke technique:

"You must unlearn what you have learned." (from the wise, small, green one)

Fishgrrl
December 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
"Uncomfortable" will not kill you.

swimshark
December 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
My favorite, and I repeat it often while swimming is from a well known coach around here, Bob Bruce.

"Perfect practice makes perfect"

Bob Boder
December 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
"Only mediocre people are at the best all the time."
Sommerset Maughm

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." Albert Einstein

SwiminONandON
December 8th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Going on a similar theme...

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." (sorry swimshark ;) )

"When you reach for the stars you might miss but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."

"Pain is temporary, pride is forever."

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

"It hurts to a point then it doesn't get any worse." - something to think about while swimming the 200 fly.

"If you don't have time to do it right when will you have time to do it over?"

"I hated every minute of training, but I told myself don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life like a champion." - Muhammed Ali

"When I was on the Olympic team with Michael Jordan there was this huge gap in ability between his ability and the ability of the other players on that team. But he was still the first one on the floor and the last one to leave."

"I knew where I wanted to go, what kind of player I wanted to become and I focused on getting there." - Michael Jordan

shark
December 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
This one might be a little harsh but I believe it applies to sports in general, especially swimming.

"Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died."--John Dretschmer

and

"Up slugger! For in the grave you'll sleep enough."

Sparky
December 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM
One of my favorite sports quotes, which applies to swimming as well as real life:

"Luck is the residue of design."
--Branch Rickey

I'm still a sucker for the old bumper sticker, "Instant swimmer-Just add water!"

That one kills me.

centaur532
December 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Sparky

I'm still a sucker for the old bumper sticker, "Instant swimmer-Just add water!"

That one kills me.

That one makes me think of a little windup swimmer, raring to go.

centaur532
December 8th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by swimshark
My favorite, and I repeat it often while swimming is from a well known coach around here, Bob Bruce.

"Perfect practice makes perfect"

I've heard the opposite philosophy. Practice in and of itself is to perfect a technique, so practicing perfectly would be redundant.
(Human development class...mistakes are encouraged in order to allow cognitive and motor development). Mistakes are a part of the learning curve.

thisgirl13
December 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM
How about this, then, Centaur?

"Practice makes permanent."

swimshark
December 8th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by centaur532
I've heard the opposite philosophy. Practice in and of itself is to perfect a technique, so practicing perfectly would be redundant.
(Human development class...mistakes are encouraged in order to allow cognitive and motor development). Mistakes are a part of the learning curve.

But if you practice something the wrong way over and over, then when and how will you learn to do it correctly? If you practice it perfectly, then there is nothing to correct, you can work on endurance and speed.

dpflyer
December 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
"We are not what we think, or what we say, or how we feel. We are what we do." - Gordon Livingston, Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

This can apply to all avid swimmers such as we are, and also to life. I love this thread!

dpflyer
December 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Efficiency is intelligent laziness. -David Dunham [one of my favorite quotes!]

Never mistake motion for action. - Ernest Hemingway [useful advice for someone who takes too many strokes]

The secret of joy is the mastery of pain. -Anais Nin, writer (1903-1977) [Nothing gives greater joy than to work your way through a tough workout!]

. . .that's enough for awhile . . .from me anyway.

Nancy Graham
December 8th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Not swim related but ...

You may not be able to change the wind, but you can adjust the sails.

Happiness is having good health and a bad memory.

Happy holidays all.
Nancy

scolopax
December 8th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Training is like wrestling a gorilla--- you don't quit when you are tired; you quit when the gorilla is tired

Fred Johnson
December 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM
This isn't swimming related but I like it:

Arguing with a waitress is like wrestling a pig in mud. Pretty soon you figure out the pig enjoys it.

(its posted on the counter at the local Pig Stand #9)

centaur532
December 9th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by swimshark
But if you practice something the wrong way over and over, then when and how will you learn to do it correctly? If you practice it perfectly, then there is nothing to correct, you can work on endurance and speed.

But how do you get to perfect to begin with then? It's a catch 22. If you don't have it, you don't have it. You have to find a way from A to B. This is where stroke clinics and coaches come in.

SWinkleblech
December 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I tell my students this all the time, "practice makes perfect". You can not become perfect until you practice it. You learn from your mistakes and with that you can get better.

SwiminONandON
December 9th, 2004, 10:16 AM
More non-swimming quotes, but they are good and from a great movie! (Shawshank Redemption)

"Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are just too bright... and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice... but still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies."

shark
December 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
We always knew we were in for it when our coach came into workout quoting Robert Frost.

My apologies to Mr. Frost.

"The water is lovely dark and deep. But we have promises to keep and miles to swim before we sleep. Miles to swim before we sleep."

All swimmers pretty much take the road less travelled. IMO

"Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one less travelled by and it has made all the difference."

SwiminONandON
December 9th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah, those aren't good things to hear from a coach at the beginning of a practice... also heard at the beginning or practice...

"We're going to step it up to the next level."

Heard after two insanely hard sets where we all thought our arms and legs were gonna fall off ... "That was phase one."
"How many phases are there?" "Four." "Great."

And similarly after you've swum a couple hard sets, "well, now that you are warmed-up"

Or a coach handed this saying to me once before practice. "When I'm tired and my workout is done, I envision my opponent doing one more, so I do one more. Then I envision my opponent similing packing her bag and going home. Then I do one more."

Another quote I actually love is from a league of their own when Gena Davis' charactor is leaving at the end and Tom Hanks asks her why and she says, "It just got too hard." and Tom Hanks replies, "It's suppose to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great."

mattson
December 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Or a coach handed this saying to me once before practice. "When I'm tired and my workout is done, I envision my opponent doing one more, so I do one more. Then I envision my opponent similing packing her bag and going home. Then I do one more."

That's strange. I envision my opponent visiting a sports doctor, ill with the flu and icing bad shoulders, because they forgot that quality rest is as important as quality work. ;)

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM
Here is my all time inspirational quote. It was attributed to Bum Phillips then coach of the then Houston Oilers(some people think this isn't what he meant to say,but it's great this way)"I'd rather be lucky than good because skill can desert you." Words to live by.

chaos
November 1st, 2006, 10:53 PM
i've got two i use often (mostly on the job)

until you learn to do it right, do it my way.

if it was easy, smart people would do it.

geochuck
November 1st, 2006, 10:56 PM
I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

The Fortress
November 1st, 2006, 11:15 PM
For all you narcissists, "You can't outperform your own self image."

born2fly
November 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Have not read thru all the quotes, but here are some I remember.

I'm good, but better wet :confused:
sprinters warm up in the showers
the body achieves what the mind believes
no pain, no gain
instant swimmer, just add water
when the going gets tough, the sprinters get out

greg

David Varner
November 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Absence makes the heart grow flounder.

(because I am not as consistent as I would like to be.)

DV

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
when the going gets tough, the sprinters get out

greg

There you go, 200 fly man, ragging on us poor sprinters again.

How about: "When the going gets tough, sprinters go faster and everyone else buys a wet suit." :lolup:

swimmerlisa
November 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
I love how old threads are getting resurrected! :D

From Ryan Lochte: [On seeing Phelps at '06 NCAAs after his 200 IM race] "I knew he was here tonight,” Lochte said of Phelps. “I tapped him in the gut when I was walking over to the starting block."

Another Ryan Lochte: [On racing against Michael Phelps] "I look at him as some other person I need to beat."

I love those two quotes - he has the "I will not lose" attitude. Love it.

Gary Hall JR: ”I like to tell people that my second 50 split in the 100 meter freestyle at the 2000 Olympics was second only to Peter van den Hoogenband. Peter is best at the 200 freestyle, while my best is the 50. I was faster coming home than all "100" meter swimmers. This says an awful lot about the aerobic conditioning that I do. I maintain that the training that I do out of the pool is as instrumental in my success as the work done in the pool. I'm not one to make bold statements about my performances, but I have the best dry land training routine in the world of swimming."

Ohhh....a dryland advocate!! :banana:

Ian Crocker: “When it comes down to racing like this, ... you have to ignore all friendship and just get down to business.”

I guess I like the cocky swimmers. :D

chickadee
November 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
I believe this one is from Mark Twain...The dictionary is the only place you find "success" before "work".

poolraat
November 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
From my high school track coach:
"Quitters never win and winners never quit."
"Second place is no better than last."

When I was in high school I belived in this stuff. Now....placing doesn't mean that much. I'm pleased if it's a good swim (doesn't even have to be a PB), especially if I know I gave it my best effort.

A friend made a comment the other day that is so true of master's swimming..."you can win your heat and finish last in your age group and you can win your age group and be last in your heat."

Allen Stark
November 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
I can tell you second place is a lot better than last.I remember seeing a tape of this weight lifter who won the silver with a PB and he was jumping and dancing all over the gym.1995 I swam a 50 LCM breast at nationals that was much faster than I expected. Bob Strand won,and I was REALLY happy to be close behind.

islandsox
November 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
How about:

Chlorine is the breakfast of champions.

And,

I don't want to be the big fish in a little pond; I want to be a big fish in a big pond.

Finishing first with a poor performance is not a first place finish.

ALM
November 4th, 2006, 11:21 PM
My favorite swimming quote is: "WE don't EXCLUDE."

Now, let me explain. I am a USMS registrar. About 8 years ago, a guy named Benno called me asking about how to register the members of his new club. He was very evasive when I started asking detailed questions about his club and how he had found so many members. Finally, and reluctantly, he told me that it was an IGLA club (International Gay & Lesbian Aquatics).

He was visibly relieved at my reaction, which was to not only help him get his club (the KC Wave) registered but also to offer to introduce him to a couple of the swimmers on my team who might be interested in his group.

As I got to know Benno, he started telling me about how his group would be going to IGLA meets, how much fun they were, and how I should go with them. I said, "But I'm not gay." Benno looked at me and said, "WE don't EXCLUDE."

Well, it was hard to argue with that. So I went to a meet with them and he was right. It was SO much fun that I've gone with them to several more since then!

Anna Lea

KaizenSwimmer
November 5th, 2006, 07:03 AM
"No Brain, No Gain"

"Happiness Loves Company."

chickadee
November 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Okay my 9 year old daughter had to write a news article last night for home work. She choose to write up a meet of mine from last year. Here is a quote and now my all time favorite ... :wave:
"My Mom is a swimmer and I am very proud of her."

born2fly
November 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
"I used to be faster, but now I am a Master"

Allen Stark
November 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
"The older I get the faster I was."
From a Masters T-Shirt popular in the 70s"Old age,cunning,and treachery will triumph over youth and skill."

The Fortress
November 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Old age,cunning,and treachery will triumph over youth and skill."

This quote I love. Unfortunately, unless engaging in Tonya Harding-type tactics, I dont think it's true ... But I nonetheless will say so at every opportunity.

Got Boost
November 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM
At the point where I am, restarting, you find insperation where you can. Yoda "Either do, or do not there is no try"

LindsayNB
November 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
"Old age,cunning,and treachery will triumph over youth and skill."
This quote I love. Unfortunately, unless engaging in Tonya Harding-type tactics, I dont think it's true ...
So, Leslie, do you think masters age groups was a concept dreamed up by a fast young swimmer? :p

The Fortress
November 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Lindsay:

Definitely not. Masters age groups were obviously created by someone with bold vision, perception and cunning. I'm very happy that "old age" has raised my age group. I was just saying that I don't think I'm triumphing over some of those spring chickens in the younger age groups -- but of course it depends, like all else, on how you define "triumph."

P.S. Here's another quote:

"The road to success is always under construction."

stingrayswimmer
June 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
i dont kno if u would call this a quote but i love it so im posting it :wiggle:

Everytime you get moved up to a higher age group ar a harder practice lane you think its the hardest thing ever.everyday you think to yourself "this is to hard i cant do it" and you want to quit.other days you get really close to asking your coach to move you down or you almost tell them that its to hard for you.but before you know it its getting easier and easier for you to keep up.its then that you think to yourself "im so happy i didnt give up"and then before you know it your moved up again and it all start overbut its those practices when you think its to hard and your arms feel like their gonna fall off that make you a better swimmerand when you finish a race with a personal best time you know it was those practices that did itand you know it was all worth while.

Aqua Jock
June 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM
how about this one:

the wetter the better

aj

I love quotes and I thought it'd be cool if everyone posted their favorites whether or not they are related to swimming, motivational, inspirational, funny, etc.

stingrayswimmer
June 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM
i like this to

every morning you get up and say " i dont want to practice today" but you get ready anyway. when u get to practice you say " i really dont want to practice today" but you walk to the side of the pool anyway. your about to get in and you say "do i have to?" but you get in and practice anyway and when your done you say "im really happy i practiced today" at the end of the year when the seasons over its the practices you missed just cause you didnt feel like going that you regret not the ones you forced yourself to got to.

Michael Heather
June 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
"If you are holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail." ---Tom Boyd

ALM
June 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
"If you didn't learn anything today - you weren't paying attention." Harry Chaplin

Who's Harry Chaplin?

FindingMyInnerFish
June 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM
"The older I get the faster I was."
From a Masters T-Shirt popular in the 70s"Old age,cunning,and treachery will triumph over youth and skill."

Must share this one w/ someone I know who applies a similar principle to basketball. ;)

Ian
June 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Quote for the Nationals and World Championships: "My goal is to be in the first heat."

geochuck
June 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Who's Harry Chaplin?
Jayhawk you are spoofin us, or you are very young and never saw one of the first Brits barred from entering the USA.

geochuck
July 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
1. A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read. – Mark Twain
2. Failure isn’t in not reaching your goal but in having no goal to reach. – Benjamin Mays
3. Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries. – James Michener
4. Success isn’t permanent and failure isn’t fatal. – Mike Ditka
5. Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in. – Bill Bradley

FindingMyInnerFish
July 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I can tell you second place is a lot better than last.I remember seeing a tape of this weight lifter who won the silver with a PB and he was jumping and dancing all over the gym.1995 I swam a 50 LCM breast at nationals that was much faster than I expected. Bob Strand won,and I was REALLY happy to be close behind.

In some races I've been in not only is second place last but so is first place--in my age group... women 55-59... We are few but mighty! :D

In a recent meet, I was slow BUT the only one in my age group. Tough competition against me, myself, and I, but I prevailed. ;) A guy I was talking to said "forget telling people you were the only one in your age group. Just tell them you were first!"

No worries... It's always fun to collect these little souvenirs of my races, and if others show up and beat me, that's okay. If I've done my best, I can go home proud of my efforts.

SwimStud
July 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
In some races I've been in not only is second place last but so is first place--in my age group... women 55-59... We are few but mighty! :D

In a recent meet, I was slow BUT the only one in my age group. Tough competition against me, myself, and I, but I prevailed. ;) A guy I was talking to said "forget telling people you were the only one in your age group. Just tell them you were first!"

No worries... It's always fun to collect these little souvenirs of my races, and if others show up and beat me, that's okay. If I've done my best, I can go home proud of my efforts.

At the meet on Sunday everyone who entered it came first in the 200 BR :lmao:

3strokes
July 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
At the meet on Sunday everyone who entered it came first in the 200 BR :lmao:

That's the way ALL meets should be organized:
ONLY ONE entrant per age group/gender/event
(first come, first registered).
Win/Win...............

MAC swimmer
July 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
"When the going gets tough, the sprinters get out!"

Absolutely classic!!

I like this one from our coach:

"I'm not going to lie to you, this is really going to hurt." or from the movie Three Kings with George Clooney:

"First you do the thing that scares you, and then you get the courage. That's how it works."

TomBrooklyn
October 19th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Real athletes don't wear shoes. :banana:

aquaFeisty
October 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Our IL Masters t-shirts from 2003 scy nats (partially stolen from a Curl-Burke mid-80s shirt):

peace.love.chlorine
TAPER.SHAVE.DESTROY

My all-time favorite t-shirt I saw at a meet back in PA around 10 years ago:

Masters Swimming: Be All You Used To Be

Allen Stark
October 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread Fort,but I read this recently and loved it.This is from American Swimming Magazine vol 4(current issue) in an article by Michael Brooks.In a section on 400 IM he says
"The slower a breaststroker you are,the more you must rely on tempo:stem the bleeding as best you can.The worse your breaststroke kick,the more you must rely on tempo.ONLY A FEW KIDS BLESSED BY GOD ARE ALLOWED TO GLIDE."
I love that last part.:banana::banana::banana:

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread Fort,but I read this recently and loved it.This is from American Swimming Magazine vol 4(current issue) in an article by Michael Brooks.In a section on 400 IM he says
"The slower a breaststroker you are,the more you must rely on tempo:stem the bleeding as best you can.The worse your breaststroke kick,the more you must rely on tempo.ONLY A FEW KIDS BLESSED BY GOD ARE ALLOWED TO GLIDE."

Haha...Well worth the resurrection Allen!

TheGoodSmith
October 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
In Masters it's not how FAST you are...... but how FAT you are.

aquageek
October 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
In Masters it's not how FAST you are...... but how FAT you are.

Bingo. That's why Stud joined USMS.

The Fortress
October 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM

OK, I won't glide on my 100 IM. LOL. :thhbbb:

This is a great old thread.

As to weight loss, I thought that's why Geek joined. 30 pounds lighter and now riding his tri bike with the bell. I joined to get big butterfly shoulders, obviously.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Bingo. That's why Stud joined USMS.

Fortunately if I swim hard I burn the fat. Unfortunately for you the more you flap your gums, the fatter your mouth gets...

swimmingis4me
November 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
The swimmer who says it can't be done is ALWAYS passed by the one who is doing it

Al Black
November 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM
One which came from one of my club during a particularly gruelling set, "Pain lasts a minute, quitting lasts a lifetime!"

Love it!

Al. :notworthy:

JMiller
November 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Dreams become reality when you wake up.

JMiller
November 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I tried quitting, and that was a failure.
So now I don't quit trying.

Mighty Minnow
December 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Nice avatar....you truly look like a 'butterfly'!

david.margrave
March 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I've always been fond of the quote that one boxer says to the other before the fight in the movie "Harlem Nights", which I'm not going to repeat here. I've never used this quote myself by the way, it wouldn't be very sportsmanlike.

Mighty Minnow
March 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
"Youth is wasted on the young"

(mother of a teen......)

JMiller
September 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~Joan Anglund~

mjgold
September 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumble bee cannot fly. Apparently, someone forgot to tell that to the bee. It makes me wonder what humans could do, if only we didn't know we weren't capable of it."

That quote is completely ludicrous. The notion that physics cannot explain the flight of a bumble bee is the perfect example of a lack of understanding of aerodynamics and the ability of the human race to perpetuate something completely untrue. There is an equation in aerodynamics that people often apply to the bumble bee to prove that it shouldn't be able to achieve flight; however, the equation applies to fixed wings, which the bumble bee obviously does not have. If you see a bumble bee flying, it most probably is. :soapbox:

ViveBene
September 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Nice avatar, JMiller! A Vermeer sky, big harbor with boats, which suggests seafood, lots of water close by for OW swimming. And two big smiles! Congrats!

:)

Allen Stark
September 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
That quote is completely ludicrous. The notion that physics cannot explain the flight of a bumble bee is the perfect example of a lack of understanding of aerodynamics and the ability of the human race to perpetuate something completely untrue. There is an equation in aerodynamics that people often apply to the bumble bee to prove that it shouldn't be able to achieve flight; however, the equation applies to fixed wings, which the bumble bee obviously does not have. If you see a bumble bee flying, it most probably is. :soapbox:
Bumblebees don't fly by generating lift in the classic way,they fly by generating vortices(clap,ring,fling propulsion.).Interestingly,Cecil Colwin hypothesizes that this is the propulsive force in human swimming(although pretty much no one else agrees with him as far as I can tell.)

mjgold
September 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Bumblebees don't fly by generating lift in the classic way,they fly by generating vortices(clap,ring,fling propulsion.).Interestingly,Cecil Colwin hypothesizes that this is the propulsive force in human swimming(although pretty much no one else agrees with him as far as I can tell.)

That's my point. People apply the principles of generating lift with a fixed wing, which is completely wrong. It never ceases to amaze me how people will read something or hear something from someone and just assume it's correct.

Allen Stark
September 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
That's my point. People apply the principles of generating lift with a fixed wing, which is completely wrong. It never ceases to amaze me how people will read something or hear something from someone and just assume it's correct.
I couldn't agree more!

mjgold
September 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
A few quotes that I like:

"No man drowns if he perseveres in praying to God, and can swim." ~Russian Proverb

"H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession." ~Author Unknown

"We swim because we are too sexy for a sport that requires clothes." ~Author Unknown

One of my favorites:

"If you should rear a duck in the heart of the Sahara, no doubt it would swim if you brought it to the Nile." ~Mark Twain

haroldbuck
September 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Yeah, that drives me nuts, too. Many people phrase this as, "According to scientists, the bumblebee cannot fly," which is clearly a crock. It's just, as you say, that for a long time they couldn't explain why bumblebees could fly. There's a huge difference!

JMiller
September 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks!

Nice avatar, JMiller! A Vermeer sky, big harbor with boats, which suggests seafood, lots of water close by for OW swimming. And two big smiles! Congrats!

:)

shark
October 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
The faster you go, the more rest you get.

geochuck
October 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The faster you go the more rest you need.

The faster you go, the more rest you get.

mjgold
October 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
It's not swimming, but I think it still applies.

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting." ~ Dick Vermeil

Glider
October 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ummm, with my coach, the faster you go the more he cuts the interval:censor:

The faster you go the more rest you need.

mjgold
October 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Haha, same here. He always gives us long ass intervals, and then cuts them like crazy.

Glider
October 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Lucky you get the long intervals...my coach starts em short and keeps whittling them down...until the later part of the season (before taper) when it's time to swim really, really fast in practice.

And my coach is a butthead about it. My coach is me!!!

Haha, same here. He always gives us long ass intervals, and then cuts them like crazy.

Maui Mike
January 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
"If you can't play nice, play water polo."

leslie hanes
January 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You cannot control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

I love this saying. I own the company that makes the lightweight wicking swim towels that everyone is chatting about. (www.wickingtowel.com)
It was a big gamble to introduce a new product, I own a small business and am getting noticed by the big guys...that's exciting but scary! In such uncertain economy, I've had to be really fast on my feet to keep "abreast" of the competition.. so I have this saying above my water cooler, and it reminds me that all I can do is my best.

Swim Chick XO
February 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
"Swimmers....
Kick more than soccer players.
Flip more than gymnast.
Cheer louder than cheerleaders.
Do more laps than runners.
Move more than swimmers."

"H2O: 2 parts heart, 1 part obsession"

"When Global Warming floods the earth, SWIMMERS WILL RULE!!!"

JMiller
April 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
"The years of anxious searching in the dark for a truth that one feels but cannot express, the intense desire and the alternations of confidence and misgiving until one achieves clarity and understanding, can be understood only by those who have experienced them." -EINSTEIN

Allen Stark
May 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
good is the enemy of great(I really thought about this when I was remaking my stroke a few years ago)
perfection is the enemy of excellence.(from an article in the most recent issue of the ASCA mag.The idea is that getting too caught up in seeking perfection is paralyzing and counter productive,instead strive for excellence.)

JMiller
May 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
The idea is that getting too caught up in seeking perfection is paralyzing and counter productive,instead strive for excellence.)

Allen, Thanks for posting this. That's right, and really describes the whole transition for me from age group swimming into masters. Continuing to swim is excellence, and the determined value is not just performance but finding long term benefit from the training.

Hoshi
May 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
"Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs.
The burning in your legs. And the voice in your head that yells 'CAN'T',
but you don't listen. You push harder. And then you hear that voice whisper 'CAN',
and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the person you truly are."

Guvnah
May 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I didn't read all the replies here.

My saying:

I'm preparing for global warming by getting better at swimming. (If the oceans rise ...!)

Lump
May 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Kind of a long one:

…you have to like it, at least a little bit, some of them like it only a little bit, but they do like it. You have to train like six days a week, twice a day, minimum. You have to like to hurt, you have to really be able to hurt, you can’t be afraid of hurting continually, not only in training but in competition. You have to like to compete. In sprinting, sometimes I think the swimmer is able to block everyone else out and concentrate on the sprint race. If you have a good stroke, good turnover, good starts and turns, you can be a successful sprinter. But when you swim distance, strategy becomes such an integral part of the race that you have to like to compete, to look eyeball to eyeball at your competition during the race and be able to handle that pressure.”

-Mark Schubert
1979 ASCA World Clinic