PDA

View Full Version : Things to like about swimming

Guvnah
December 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I was thinking about the "pet peeves" thread. Seems that we should have a thread that is the opposite. Things we love about swimming. (Or is there one already that I missed?)

Guvnah
December 7th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Something I really like -- being acclimated to high altitude workouts (6000 ft.) and then visiting some place at sea level. The workouts for the first few days there are simply glorious.

Tomorrow I'll have that opportunity. I'll be visiting NJ. The pool there is meters. (I work out yards here.) But for the first three days I can sustain the same workout times for meters that I usually do in yards here. (eg, I do reps of 500m in the same time I do those reps in yards at 6000 feet. Ditto 100s, 200s etc.) And I complete a 4000m workout overall in the same time I do a 4000y workout here.

justforfun
December 7th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I love diving in the water for the first time and the first few laps of warm-up after shaving down for a big meet. Slickery!!

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM
My all time favorite thing would have to be having a good swim day. When your timing is spot on, the water just rolls past you, you're in your favorite lane, the pool is empty, and you can just cruise! There is no such thing as bad form, drag, losing your breath or any other bad stuff. It's just you and water. Those are the days I wish I could swim forever!

~Kyra

aquageek
December 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The thing I sure do enjoy the most about swimming is the almost constant ribbing from my friends about wearing a speedo two hours a day and shaving my legs a few times a year. That makes it all worthwhile. The lack of sleep and persistent athlete's foot are also side benefits.

EyeoreSAM
December 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I also love those days where you can not do anything wrong. It usally comes mid season when everything has come together and your body is working like a well oiled machine.

I also love the feeling after a good practice when your muscles are really warm and feel worked pretty good.

Yardbird
December 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I love my colorful swimsuits! One of my favorite swimming moments is when I am doing a backstroke streamline off the wall and I can see the pretty colors in the reflection of the water's surface. :p

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2004, 04:32 PM
That reminds of on of my very favorite things to do. I love when you are in your backstroke streamline and you're gliding along a few inches under the surface and it looks like your looking up through glass. I love that!!

~Kyra

SwiminONandON
December 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I love morning swims. I think all indoor pools should have a wall of glass to the east. The pool I train in does and in the summer (and times when it isn't pitch black that early in the morning) the sun streaks in at the far end. It's like heaven on earth.

swimr4life
December 7th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I love morning swims. I think all indoor pools should have a wall of glass to the east. The pool I train in does and in the summer (and times when it isn't pitch black that early in the morning) the sun streaks in at the far end. It's like heaven on earth.

YES!! I love that too. It is awe inspiring to see the bright pink and orange colors of the sunrise. It energizes me and makes me feel inspired for the rest of the day!

Scansy
December 8th, 2004, 06:24 AM
but my favorite thing about swimming is the breaststroke push-off/pull out. I'm always trying to go further and further under water. It's peaceful under the water.

I also love the buzz I get for several hours after swimming.

scyfreestyler
December 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I love swimming with such balance that kicking is an option.

I love swimming catch-up/exaggerated front quadrant and watching the floats on the lane line speed by while I am using such little effort.

I love a great pushoff coupled with a few strong dolphin kicks that blend seamlessly into full stroke swimming. (This one is a bit more rare for me :D )

Lastly, I always enjoy the smell of chlorine on my skin after leaving the pool.

exrunner
December 8th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Well, the things I like are:

(1) The pleasant feeling of exhaustion after my swim;

(2) The peace of mind of having 8% body fat, 114/70 blood pressure, total cholesterol 126, and resting heart rate 48 bpm;

(3) Being able to go to a special occasion and eating as much of anything as I would like, while my overweight friends watch with envy and rage.

aquageek
December 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by exrunner
Being able to go to a special occasion and eating as much of anything as I would like, while my overweight friends watch with envy and rage.

While I don't have the impressive body stats that you do, I admit this is THE BEST thing about swimming. The ability to eat as much fried chicken as a I want from time to time is great. My less athletic friends never seem to hold themselves back at the feed trough, however.

CCSR79
December 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM
The relaxation of it all... Just swimming being concentrated, lost in your own thoughts, and as much as you huff and puff in the water, once you're out, it seems like all your problems go away, I'm completely stress free, in a great mood, energized (and have that feeling that although my body is tired, I'm ready to jump back in and start it all over again!)

Swimming and knowing "this is what I'm good at!"

That first smell of chlorine when you get to the pool, and it excites you to know you're just starting.

That all that fun is actually a damn good exercise!

Diving in the deep water, all the way in...

Knowing that when you're at the beach, and everybody is crowded together, close to the sand, that you can actually go far enough to the deep, where there's no one else, and you can just float there for a while, knowing you're stronger than the sea. And even when the tide is strong and it beats the hell out of you and you're tumbling around with the waves, knowing that you won't drown, so you never get desperate, just go with the flow and come right back up ready for more.

Going back to my childhood everytime I go into the pool, and feel like I'm five again (because I was always in the water at that age).

laineybug
December 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
The feeling of gliding effortlessly through the water, any stroke feels like that to me when my technique is right. That must be the way marine animals feel all the time.

Listening to 'Max' clean the bottom as you swim. I imagine that there are dolphins in the pool talking to each other.

Warm downs, hot showers and exhaustion.

Having the pool to yourself in the afternoon and swimming into the sunset. Sunbeams through the water. Steam rising off the pool on winter mornings. A pool that looks like glass.

prescription goggles and bubbles... lol, seeing the wall clearly and being able to judge how far from it you are.

male swimmer bodies in any type of suit... you just can't hide what swimming does for the physique

I love it when some of those 20 something, big ole muscle bound weight lifters decide they are going to swim some laps, get in, slap the water, 'swim' head up, get no where fast and I glid on by.

The lifeguard telling your coach that you have the most graceful, even stroke she has ever seen.

The little swim kid asking the lifeguard if he saw that old lady flipturn, and the lifeguard saying, "That's not an old lady, that's Elaine."

Dave60625
December 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I agree with Paul! I really like the extra bounce I have in my step on my way to work after my morning swim.

I also like the fact that, compared to running, I haven't had a bad day swimming yet. There are some times when a run just isn't good. I don't know if it's because of swimming indoors or that swimming is low-impact, but I have yet to have a really bad day at the pool.

I also like following up a swim with some relaxation time in the whirlpool and the steam room.

SWinkleblech
December 9th, 2004, 08:33 AM
After a hard day, working with lots of noisy children, being able to hide in the silence of water.

Taking 25 seconds off of my 200 fly and thinking that there is hope yet that I can some day be fast.

Having others marvel at the fact that someone can actually swim that many laps.

scooter
December 9th, 2004, 08:43 AM
That first taste of pool water in the early morning.

Sonic Swimmer78
December 9th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by swimr4life
YES!! I love that too. It is awe inspiring to see the bright pink and orange colors of the sunrise. It energizes me and makes me feel inspired for the rest of the day!

Yeah! That is the most beautiful thing ever!

one thing I truly like about swimming:

Having Lane 5 ALL TO MYSELF!! :p

There's yet another great feeling about swimming now and it's the fact I have corrective goggles. I didn't know what I was missing. For twenty-three years, (Now 26, learned to swim when I was 3) I swam w/out corrective goggles and for the first time, I'm seeing swimming in a whole new light. I love it even more.

It's my own little secret place whenever I'm blue, (no pun intended) or when I had a hard day at work. experiencing the sights has brought joy to me. The smell of chlorine always makes me feel like I'm fifty feet tall, even on my darkest days.

Thanks for letting me share that with all of you.

"...They say swimmers are the most wonderful people in the world, and they're right!"

- Sonic Swimmer78

Sparky
December 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Morning swims are fantastic! I hate waking up at 5 a.m. and I really hate having to go to bed by 10 or 11, but it's sooooo worth it once I get in the pool. I spend the rest of the day on an endorphin high.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but nothing compares to swimming.

USMSarah
December 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
one of the great things about swimming is when you are working on a hard set... and you start to sweat... and then water cools you off and it feels oh so good.:cool:

i had to add these in...

when the sun hits the water when you are practicing and it glimmers on the bottom of the pool, that always psyches me up.

and.. smelling like chlorine the rest of the day... i love it.

Sonic Swimmer78
December 11th, 2004, 02:28 PM
every time I smell my hands after a good workout, I get a smile. Today we used the blocks! Oh what joy! I LOVE those beautiful, white starting blocks! They always make my day!

YAY STARTING BLOCKS!!!

Guvnah
December 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CCSR79

... knowing you're stronger than the sea. And even when the tide is strong and it beats the hell out of you and you're tumbling around with the waves, knowing that you won't drown, so you never get desperate, just go with the flow and come right back ...

Stronger than the sea... That was simply beautiful!

TomBrooklyn
October 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
I feel better generally after getting the excercise.

MAC swimmer
October 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
My neck gets stronger...heck, everything gets stronger!

swimminlyn
October 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
I love the way I feel after my morning workout. Finding it hard to get out of bed in the mornings, I know that my day will be much better after pounding out 4000 yds.
I love that in 7 months I was able to lose 30 lbs without changing my diet and have been able to keep it off.
I love the smell of chlorine.
I love the 1st outdoor LCM swim of the summer after being couped up indoors all winter.
I love all the friends that I have made in the past 2 years of swimming masters. They are the greatest people I know. I love that I can swim for the rest of my life and I look forward to all the people that I will get to meet over the next 50 yrs.

Donna
October 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
I love the way my back feels the rest of the day after swimming, especially when fly is on the menu at practice. I also love being able to eat what I want and still lose weight.

cathlaur
October 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
I only started swimming again on September 7th LOL, so I dont have years or even months of benefits from swimming yet. Yes I marked the date in the calendar.

What I like about swimming is....... I feel empowered. Like I am doing something so amazing. It is really a lovely feeling. I am hoping that I to can lose some weight ( like many of you have) become toned and powerful. In the beginning the morning workouts were tough ( getting up) now I look forward to them. I feel wonderful when I am done. To think I have accomplished more exercise than most by 7 am is pretty cool.

It just makes me feel strong and vibrant :groovy:and I guess that is what really matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie

Slowswim
October 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
I only started swimming again on September 7th LOL, so I dont have years or even months of benefits from swimming yet. Yes I marked the date in the calendar. Katie

You should have waited one day; 9/8/7 is a real easy date to remember.

cathlaur
October 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Maybe you are right.

I cannot wait to see what 6 months bring. Sure hope it is a continued love of swimming and some inches and weightloss. SIGH

Katie

ourswimmer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
I love swimming in the pool when it's raining.

I love seeing pelicans fly over when I am swimming in San Francisco Bay. They are very, very large when they are right above your head. I also used to love seeing fish in Barton Springs pool in Austin in the early morning. I never saw them if I went after the sun was fully up.

I love the community ritual that is swim practice. I see the same people at the same time on the same days to do a very organized activity, all together, for no other basic reason except that they want to.

Ripple
October 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Going to the pool at 5:30 a.m. on a dark January morning when it's -35 C/-24 F outside - being in the water is like taking a 45 minute tropical vacation, except without the sand flies.
Being able to go for long swims in the sea when I really do get to be on a Caribean vacation, seeing the little fish darting underneath me, sprinting frantically for shore when a mysterious something keeps bumping into my legs...:bolt:

Syd
October 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Going to the pool at 5:30 a.m. on a dark January morning when it's -35 C/-24 F outside

Egad! That is cold. In fact so cold, I can't comprehend it. Here in Southern Taiwan the coldest I remember was 15 degrees Celcius in December 1999. It only lasted for a day. A cold front. It had everyone running for their winter woollies. Most winter (if you can call it that) days here are a sultry 25, 26 degrees C. You can swim outdoors the entire year round if you wish. The sea is always like bathwater.

-35 degrees C....doesn't human blood freeze at that temperature? That sounds like the Arctic. There is no way I could survive in those temperatures. You must have the skin of an elephant seal.:D

Syd

ViveBene
October 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Stats: "Things to Like About Swimming"

Quick look (some responses I inferred from language):

Good feeling being in H2O 14 responses
Feel better physically 9
Aesthetics 8
External feedback (impress others, make new friends) 7
Chlorine smell/taste 6
Weight control/PT/ phys. improvement 5
Can eat more 3
Feel sharper mentally 3
Relief/escape others 3
Other swimmers' bods 1

Regards, VB

Ripple
October 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
-35 degrees C....doesn't human blood freeze at that temperature? That sounds like the Arctic. There is no way I could survive in those temperatures. You must have the skin of an elephant seal.:D

It's an indoor pool, of course. There would be virtually no swimming here if we had to rely on outdoor pools.

cathlaur
October 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
IT gets pretty cold here to . We live in Ontario Canada. I love it when you hair is slightly wet and your hair freezes. Though I have not swam 4 times a week in years like I am now so it will be interesting.

Swimming is just all round wonderful. Though I cannot wait to have the toning slimmer body. I am kind of impatient. LOL

Katie

scwids
October 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I love the feeling of being in open water. Particularly when I'm not just swimming a parallel shore swim, but crossing a harbor. There's that moment I always try to take when I look up somewhere in the middle of my swim, knowing how deep the ocean floor is beneath me, and remembering what a tiny :fish2: I am in the big world!

SwimStud
October 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I love the feeling of being in open water. Particularly when I'm not just swimming a parallel shore swim, but crossing a harbor. There's that moment I always try to take when I look up somewhere in the middle of my swim, knowing how deep the ocean floor is beneath me, and remembering what a tiny :fish2: I am in the big world!

...der dum...der-dum der-dum...dum dum dum dum dum etc.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Feeling stronger in the water and knowing my times are dropping.

And knowing that after a few thousand yards, I can order the 32oz Prime Rib from Sam Seltzer's and not care!:banana:

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
It's the best RX out there for my migraines!

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
It's the best RX out there for my migraines!

Really. Why?

swimminlyn
October 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
(S)he-man,

I totally agree with you. Before I started swimming on a regular basis a couple years ago I would get a migraine at least 2-3 times a month. Now I may go 2-3 months without one. Still get a nagging headache on occasion...mainly when dealing with my daughter, but not that often.

I love swimming....

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Really. Why?

As my friend who is a neurologist on our masters team said (she gets migraines too!), "It's the extra endorphins."

For me, migraines are a terrible ordeal and I get them every month or so. There's fatigue, terrible headaches, crushing neck pain and sometimes nausea. Getting in for a workout (albeit swum at a moderately intense level - not my usual insane intensity level), 9 times out of 10 makes me feel so much better. Less of all the above symptoms. Go figure. Guess I'm lucky in that sense.

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Oh - and I've tried massage, meditation, tylenol/ advil, chiropracty, and taking vitamin supplements. Swimming alleviates my symptoms most. :cheerleader:

cathlaur
October 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
WOW that is so interesting. So I guess you will keep swimming. I have only ever had two migraines and I really thought I was going to die. I feel for people who get them alot.

I have really bad knees. The swimming sometimes hurts while I am doing it but not later. I know that I am strengthening the muscles around them so that is wonderful. I know once I drop some of the weight that will help to

Katie

poolraat
October 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I used to get very bad migraines when in my 20's and 30's. I wish I had been a swimmer then because I really suffered. I get them ocassionally, still and (S)he-Man, you're right on about swimming being a fix. Something about the water just makes it diminish to where it's either totally gone or tolerable.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
That reminds of on of my very favorite things to do. I love when you are in your backstroke streamline and you're gliding along a few inches under the surface and it looks like your looking up through glass. I love that!!

~Kyra

That is really cool. I tell people I love to swim because it is never what you expect. The experieince is so different between the participant and the spectator or person watching you swim. Swimming demostrates that what is real is truly the individuals perseption.

david.margrave
October 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Oh - and I've tried massage, meditation, tylenol/ advil, chiropracty, and taking vitamin supplements. Swimming alleviates my symptoms most. :cheerleader:

Look into the NTI (www.nti-tss.com). It's still relatively new and your dentist may not make them, but the site has a directory of dentists who do.

scwids
October 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
That is really cool. I tell people I love to swim because it is never what you expect. The experieince is so different between the participant and the spectator or person watching you swim. Swimming demostrates that what is real is truly the individuals perseption.

Today was yet another unexpected pleasure! I am a moderate speed distance swimmer - very used to sprinters in the next lane dusting the pool with me in terms of their pace. Today I had a tough but rewarding 1.1 mile swim after taking a break for a few weeks after my last open water event. The woman in the lane next to me was apparently part fish - quite amazing to watch swim. She was really quick. When I got out of the pool, she asked me "Do you know how many laps in this pool is a mile?" When I told her, she said, "Thanks! You looked like you would know." Couldn't help but smile after that one! :p

Allen Stark
October 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
One of the pools I swim at has skylights.When the sun is right you get a great shadow view if your stroke. When the sun is at a lower angle it makes amazing patterns on the wall.

cathlaur
October 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Rachel

I bet that made you feel great. Nothing like having someone else think you are a good swimmer.

UMMMMMMMMMM I am not there yet LOL

Allen I would love a skylight. Especially in the winter when the snow and moonlight would be coming through. Drats. You are lucky

Katie

scwids
October 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
UMMMMMMMMMM I am not there yet LOL

I don't think I am there either! It must have been my spanky new Tyr suit. :D Kudos for you Katie for coming back to "the dark side"!

And I have to agree on the skylight thing. My pool is half under a ceiling and half under a dome window, so it's even more motivation to get to the pretty side of the pool each lap!

cathlaur
October 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Rachel

Yes I have come to the dark side LOL. Yesterday I so wanted to swim and the pool was closed for Thanksgiving. That is when I knew I was into it.

Also I have to drive backwards to get to the pool. So it is quite out of my way. BUT I figured I could no longer use that as an excuse. It is just my time and a few extra kilometres on the van. I figure if I get fit , lose some weight and have met some new friends it is all worth it.

I bought a new bathing suit. It is a plain speedo but it was on a huge sale. I also bought a new one on the internet from http://www.eqswimwear.com/ Alison aka swimshark told me about this company. You buy the grab bag and you dont know what colour suit you will get. I should have my first one in the mail at home this week. They do have a big sale on right now to.

I so wish the pool I swim at was prettier. LOL LOL
I guess I should not complain. IT is a nice pool.

Katie

rtodd
October 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The pool is empty and the water is flat. Completely different experinece than when the pool is full and full of chop. Flat calm water amplifies the senses and gives full feedback and a sense of speed. You can "cheat" on the recovery by keeping hands close to the water. This is one of the things I like about swimming.

I don't get this too much. My pool is not an overflow design and does not have lane ropes and is rarely empty.