PDA

View Full Version : distance per stroke

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 9th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Recently, since this summer, my dps has increased. Over the summer, I swam in a 25 meter pool. Now I'm back inside in a 25 yard pool. My DPS has had real problems. When I do 1-arm drills & catch-up drills, my dps is okay 14 to 16 strokes. Also, if I use paddles I can keep my stroke count down artound 14 for 1000 yds. Then, in a mile, I will end up at around 22 strokes. My time begins to fall apart. I am also exhausted at the end.

Does anyone have as suggestion?

scyfreestyler
December 9th, 2004, 12:29 PM
How is your catch? I find that when my stroke count goes to hell it is usually because my catch has become sloppy. Keep your hand perpendicular to your body for as long as possible. By doing this your forearm will also be in a position to propel you foreward as well, also known as high elbow. When we get tired we get sloppy. Swimming catch-up is a great idea because it allows you to concentrate on each stroke independently of the other. I swim nothing but catch up and when I sprint, I am still in a front quadrant style stroke pattern. TI's website has a great photo of Hoogie, Phelps, and Thorpe racing and they are all swimming front quadrant. Good luck.

Old Flyer
December 9th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I'm newly back in the pool and this is a new term to me. Could you explain what it means? TIA

USMSarah
December 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you are just gettin plain pooped out. Do you swim w/ a coach? I would ask him/her what sets you could do to build up your strength/endurance so your DPS doesn't fall apart in the mile.

I don't like using paddles, I think they take away the natural feeling of the water, plus they can screw up your shoulders/elbows. I just think, if you don't compete w/ them, don't use 'em. I hate using kickboards too... such a rebel.

Good luck... I have a lot of respect for those who dare to swim the mile!

S.

scyfreestyler
December 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Flyer
I'm newly back in the pool and this is a new term to me. Could you explain what it means? TIA Your pulling arm does not begin the pull until your recovering arm is in front of your head. It is a method of swimming that keeps you long and sleek. TI and Emmett Hines both teach this method.

USMSarah
December 10th, 2004, 08:00 PM
i talked to my coach this morning about what FQS was.... i already swim like that... i didn't know it actually had a title. hmmm... what do you know.