PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Events?

Perkunas
December 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Any recommendations for an open water event in Hawaii? My norm has been a couple of 1-3 mile events in Northern lakes during the warmer summer months. I thought it might be interesting to try swimming in warm blue ocean water for a change. Any ideas?

Sabretooth Tiger
December 11th, 2004, 12:48 PM
The Maui Channel Relay (Lanai to Maui) runs annually on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Most participants are members of 6 person teams, some do solo crossings of the 9.5 mile Au Au Channel. Each team or individual swimmer charters his/hers/its own boat and captain. Swimmers come from all over the world. It is a first class, wonderful event, simply immense fun.

Then on Monday of Labor Day weekend (except this past year) the Waikiki Roughwater is held on Oahu. A 2.4 mile race. A little over a thousand swimmers usually participate. Also great fun. Many Maui swimmers do both.

Ocean conditions obviously impact the time performance and difficulty of these events.

There are other smaller events around this time of year on Oahu and Maui, but I don't have any personal experience with these.