PDA

View Full Version : Going to ease back into it today

scyfreestyler
December 14th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I have yet to get an appt. with my ortho so far but I am going to give the pool a shot tonight. My shoulder is feeling pretty darn good and the popping is much more rare. I should add that the popping is not painful and seems to be pretty close to the level of popping that I experienced before the injury. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am going to take it easy and not try to replicate my pre-injury times or endurance. I think my goal will be to swim whatever is comfortable, not to exceed 400 yards. If I still feel good for the next few days I will up the ante a bit. Anybody have any input? Gull80? You seem to be pretty enlightened about injured swimmers. Thanks.

gull
December 14th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Easing back into swimming seems like a good idea. You might try ice after, even if the shoulder isn't hurting.

scyfreestyler
December 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I should also add that the only area that is painful is the outside portion of my shoulder when I raise my arm, extended, out perpendicular to my body. What muscle did I pull?

gull
December 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I'm not an orthopedist, but I believe that still could be tendinitis (supraspinatus?). The other thing to keep in mind is that some SLAP injuries/tears of the labrum can be missed by MRI without an arthrogram and/or if the interpeting radiologist isn't experienced (or so I've been told).

swimr4life
December 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by gull80
I'm not an orthopedist, but I believe that still could be tendinitis (supraspinatus?). The other thing to keep in mind is that some SLAP injuries/tears of the labrum can be missed by MRI without an arthrogram and/or if the interpeting radiologist isn't experienced (or so I've been told).

That is what my ortho told me too. To properly diagnose a shoulder injury, you have to have a MRI done with the dye injected into the joint. Was your MRI done that way? (You would remember!...they use a BIG needle to put the dye in and it isn't without "discomfort!"):rolleyes:

scyfreestyler
December 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by swimr4life
That is what my ortho told me too. To properly diagnose a shoulder injury, you have to have a MRI done with the dye injected into the joint. Was your MRI done that way? (You would remember!...they use a BIG needle to put the dye in and it isn't without "discomfort!"):rolleyes: My MRI was needle free.

swimr4life
December 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I would just take it easy and don't push your shoulder. You may be fine! I don't mean to scare you. BUT!...If it starts hurting, STOP immediately. I pushed mine one too many times and had to have surgery. If your shoulder continues to bother you despite rotator cuff exercises, rest, ice, advil,etc...I would let your Dr. know. You may want to ask if you could have a MRI w/ arthrogram to rule out any problems that your first MRI may have missed.

scyfreestyler
December 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Okay, so I went swimming last night and covered about 350 yards. Interestingly enough, my shoulder was actually pain free. However, I noticed a new pain just below my tricep and just before my elbow. Not a sharp pain but just a dull ache that was annoying enough to alter my stroke. Any ideas what THIS could be? I am starting to feel like my body is just falling apart! Anyhow, I don't feel any worse for the wear this morning so I am going to take today off from the pool and go see my ortho tomorrow. I am optimistic that after a week or so of easing back into it I will be back at full speed again.

scyfreestyler
December 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Just picked up my MRI results and I thought I would share the findings...bone marrow normal, labrum appears to be intact, attention to rotator cuff shows mild hyperintensity of the suprastinatus tendon but no evidence for edema within it, minimal edema about the acromioclavicular joint.

Impression:Minimal abnormalities MRI left shoulder.
1)Suspect low grade chronic tendinopathy, supraspinatus tendon.
2)Mild strain acromioclavicular joint.

I think this means that rest, ice, and NSAID's are the best treatment. Will find out for sure tomorrow at my ortho appt.

gull
December 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 330man
I think this means that rest, ice, and NSAID's are the best treatment. Will find out for sure tomorrow at my ortho appt.

Ask about physical therapy--and if possible a therapist who specializes in sports.

scyfreestyler
December 16th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Just returned from my ortho appointment and it went just as I expected. He seems to think that I had a minor rotator cuff strain and that there is no damage that is visible. He performed a ROM test as well as a strength test and was pleased with both. His suggestion was to continue easing back into swimming, easing being the key word. He feels that within four weeks I should be back to pre-injury health and to avoid any methods of stretching that involve high speed or significant momentum of an extremity. Great news on the week before XMAS!!!