PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining Masters swim team in NYC, have questions!

kushir0
December 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Hello! I just recently moved to NYC.

I've been wanting for a long time to get back into the pool. I swam 5 years in high school. My best stroke was butterfly, decent freestyle sprinter, and not as good of a distance swimmer.

I graduated way back in 93, since then I've swam periodically but without a coach/teammates pushing me I find I have trouble staying focused.

I've been recovering from a back injury sustained in martial arts training so I've pretty much been out of the pool the last year. I've not in very good conditioning right now so I'm going to have to ramp up.

I'm worried about not being able to keep up and/or make it though a practice at first. Would you suggest I swim on my own for a while to build up to a minimum level of conditioning? Or should I just show up at the pool and join a team?

After doing some research looks like two potential places to swim with here in Manhattan: AGUA at Asphalt Green and Red Tide.

Anyone know anything about these two teams and/or have any suggestions for any others?

Thank you so much!

Sonic Swimmer78
December 15th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the USMS Family, Kushir0! First off, Masters is open to many levels, from beginning swimmers to the most advanced elite competitors.

As for keeping up with others, don't worry. Sure, your team will have faster members, but don't let that discourage you. If you can swim one length of the pool, you can compete. Swim at your own pace and build from there, trust me, that's what I've been doing, and I hadn't swam in ten years, since Monday, April 26, 2004 when I first started swimming again.

Here's what I've learned while being in Masters.

1. Swim at your own pace, everyone does. It's not a high-standard, high school swim team.

2. Compete. Competing helps you gain confidence along the way.

3. Have fun! Competing and winning isn't everything, it's having fun and knowing that you had one hell of a good swim!

I'm not in the New York area, so I can't answer your questions about their LMSC's or teams.

All I do know is that Masters Swimming is a wonderful experience! You'll meet wonderful and inspirational people when you do join your LMSC and you'll be very glad you did!

Again, welcome to USMS!

kushir0
December 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Sonic Swimmer78.

I figure at this point I'd be lucky to be able to do 1000 yards in a workout. Last time I was in the pool I was completely winded after doing only 100!

As long as there would be others near my current ability then I'll just probably join up instead of trying to get back into shape on my own first.

If anyone out there has any info though on NYC swim clubs I'd be most apprecative!

Thanks!

jean sterling
December 15th, 2004, 12:29 PM
On the usms.org home page, click on links, then click on club pages (or something akin to that). Under New York, there are three NYC teams listed, including Red Tide.

I've heard that Asphalt Green is a great facility though pricey. They do have masters there, and it would be convenient if you are on the east side. The Westside Y on 63rd street has masters. It's only a four lane pool though, so I don't know how it works out. I've swum there in the daytime, and two lanes are freestyle only and the other two lanes are whatever, which works out to paddling around - at least when I was there. Asphalt is a 50 meter pool.

KenChertoff
December 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
OK -- I'm a member of Red Tide and I swim on my own at Asphalt Green several nights a week (not with the AG team).

Red Tide has about 300 registered members and we work out at two pools in Manhattan (Baruch College and John Jay College). We have members of all ability levels, so you don't need to be concerned about not being ready for the team. (Your high school experience is more than many of new members have.) We have two coaches on deck at all our team practices and one works exclusively with the "less fast" lanes, so you'd get plenty of personal attention. We also have practices seven days a week, two on most days and you can go to as many as you want -- from one a week to all, if you can handle it (or none, if you want).

One thing you should know about Red Tide is that we're a very competition oriented team. We want all members to go to meets (at least two a year). No one cares how you finish -- you can set records or be the slowest swimmer there (I'm living proof of that :p ) -- but we're very serious about participating. But as Sonic Swimmer said, Masters competition is very low key and nothing to be be afraid of. Our web site is at www.redtidenyc.org and our email address is info@redtidenyc.org

I don't know much about Asphalt Green's team, since I'm not a member. But I'm very familiar with their pool. It's fifty meters, usually divided into two 25 yard courses. It's probably the best facility in New York City.

kushir0
December 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
KenChertoff--

I'm definitely looking forward to competition. I always had fun at meets and what better way to gauge your progress?

I guess I'm ready to go try a workout. I've no doubt my abilities to get back into swimming shape. I just going to take a while.

Thanks for the encouragement everybody.