PDA

View Full Version : USMS VS. YMCA swimming ????

waterdevil
December 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Hello,
I am looking for a little clarification. I am familiar with USA swimming at the age group and Senior level and I know that if you belong to a USA registered swim team you CANNOT swim for a YMCA team. Does this same rule apply at the Masters level??
And if it is okay to swim for a YMCA team as well, should the board of your LMSC make YMCA meets a priority over your State meet or other regular season meets? I am just thinking that this is unfair for swimmers who registered as USMS and now find that some of their meets are not being sanctioned or are being moved because of a conflict with a YMCA meet. Most notably Y Nationals.

Thanks for your help!!

Rob Copeland
December 15th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I was unaware that USA-Swimming members were prohibited from YMCA events. When did the YMCA’s implement this? Are you sure you have your facts straight on this?

And while I don’t have a YMCA rule book in front of me, I can assure you that USMS swimmers are allowed to compete in YMCA sponsored/sanctioned events.

“Should the board of your LMSC make YMCA meets a priority over your State meet or other regular season meets?” Unless the LMSC has code in their bylaws or policies that address meet priority or other sanction requirements, then the board should not get involved in setting priorities. The Sanction Chair should be reviewing all applications for sanctions and if the meet host fulfills all the requirements for sanction, then a sanction should be issued. If a meet host is unjustly denied a sanction, then the host should file a grievance with the LMSC.

As for moving a meet so as to not conflict with a larger championship, I would think this would be exactly what a meet host would want to do. When I run meets, I always make sure they are not in conflict with other meets in the area.

And maybe I’m missing your point… Why is it unfair to move a meet?

gull
December 15th, 2004, 04:31 PM
My daughter's YMCA team is registered with USA Swimming. She can compete in both YMCA and USA Swimming meets.

waterdevil
December 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Yes, YMCA teams can compete in USS meets. But on the other hand non-YMCA affiliated USS teams cannot compete in YMCA sanctioned meet.

Rob Copeland
December 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Members of a YMCA club who also hold USA-S memberships can compete in USA-S events. Members of USA-S who are also members of a YMCA team can compete in YMCA events. A person who is not a member of USA-S (or other nations National Governing Bodies) can not swim in a USA-S event. A person who is not a member of a YMCA can not swim in a YMCA event.

So what other hand is there????

dorothyrde
December 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
It really is all about where the swimmer is registered. We have a lot of little summer club swimmers around here. In the summer they swim for the local park districts or private swim clubs or country clubs. None of these swimmers are registered with USA or YMCA, so would not be allowed to swim either type of meet. There is some crossover of kids who also swim for their club teams. Some of the club teams are USA, some are YMCA, and some are affiliated with both. It is all about registering and paying the fees, not that one santioning body is "not allowing" another sanctioning body to compete. I cannot shop at Sam's Club unless I buy a membership. I cannot swim at a YMCA National meet unless I buy a membership. I cannot swim at a USMS meet unless I buy a membership.